Suns trade rumors

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
That is hilarious.

He is not only a horrible fit for us, I'd argue that we would not trade either Dragic or Bledsoe straight up for him even if it was possible.

Doug and Wolf were mentioning that it would probably take Dragic and 2 firsts to make the deal. That would be a miserable move.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Doug and Wolf were mentioning that it would probably take Dragic and 2 firsts to make the deal. That would be a miserable move.

Rondo is overrated.

Coming off of a serious injury he first has to prove he can play without 3 hall of famers. He still can't shoot the ball. Dragic is easily better right now than Rondo was even before the injury.

Doug and Wolf are clueless.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Rondo is overrated.

Coming off of a serious injury he first has to prove he can play without 3 hall of famers. He still can't shoot the ball. Dragic is easily better right now than Rondo was even before the injury.

Doug and Wolf are clueless.

To their credit they basically laughed at the idea.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i have no clue why we would ever do that deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is hilarious.

He is not only a horrible fit for us, I'd argue that we would not trade either Dragic or Bledsoe straight up for him even if it was possible.

This is how I feel as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...likely-Trade-For-Kevin-Love-Ahead-Of-Deadline

Looks like the Lakers are going after KLove. If Minny is smart, they will trade him now, for the most they can get. It is clear that once you hit the trade deadline before a player is a FA, they are almost worthless. It happened with Amare, same with Gasol. Word is that they might be able to pry the Lakers lotto pick away, but according to the rules, they can't. We hold the Lakers pick next year and you cannot trade two in a row. The only thing they could do, is give the Lakers the right to swap picks. Oh wait. They can't. We own the Minnesota pick (conditionally, this year).

Looks like the Suns could be kingmakers in that exchange. . .for a price. How about we do this? We trade the Indy pick to Minnesota, and they drop all protections on their pick. Then the Lakers can swap their lotto pick to Minnesota (along with Gasol) for KLove and the Indy pick. We solved everyone's problem and move into the lottery at the same time.

This is my great concern about trading for Love. He would only be with us a year, and then run to the Lakers. As a player, I would love to have him.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BTw, I wonder if this deal has been in the works for a while. It might explain why the Lakers are desperate to get a pick along with Okafor's contract from the Suns for Gasol. They can then turn around and ship their own lotto pick along with the Okafor contract to Minny for Love.

No matter what, the Suns are the fly in the ointment because they own both Minny and Laker first round picks, making it very difficult for them to trade picks with each other.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...likely-Trade-For-Kevin-Love-Ahead-Of-Deadline

Looks like the Lakers are going after KLove. If Minny is smart, they will trade him now, for the most they can get. It is clear that once you hit the trade deadline before a player is a FA, they are almost worthless. It happened with Amare, same with Gasol. Word is that they might be able to pry the Lakers lotto pick away, but according to the rules, they can't. We hold the Lakers pick next year and you cannot trade two in a row. The only thing they could do, is give the Lakers the right to swap picks. Oh wait. They can't. We own the Minnesota pick (conditionally, this year).

Looks like the Suns could be kingmakers in that exchange. . .for a price. How about we do this? We trade the Indy pick to Minnesota, and they drop all protections on their pick. Then the Lakers can swap their lotto pick with Minnesota (along with Gasol) for KLove and the Indy pick. We solved everyone's problem and move into the lottery at the same time.

This is my great concern about trading for Love. He would only be with us a year, and then run to the Lakers. As a player, I would love to have him.

So we trade the Indiana pick for the Minny pick, which we already own, so they drop the protection. Actually this could be good because if Love leaves Minny, the Suns will never receive their first round pick from Minny because it turns into two second round picks later on.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Love wants to go to LA. There's a good chance that no matter what team trades for him, he will leave and go to LA instead when he becomes a FA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So we trade the Indiana pick for the Minny pick, which we already own, so they drop the protection. Actually this could be good because if Love leaves Minny, the Suns will never receive their first round pick from Minny because it turns into two second round picks later on.

I wouldn't even mind giving Minny the choice of the two picks, theirs or the Lakers. That gives them some insurance in case the Lakers suddenly improve and they tank.

I would think the Lakers would have to throw in a 2017 first to make that deal go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love is under contract until the summer of 2015. So a trade seems to be a viable option if the Suns want to assist a trade.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love wants to go to LA. There's a good chance that no matter what team trades for him, he will leave and go to LA instead when he becomes a FA.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...a-timberwolves-better-team-los-angeles-lakers

But in a recent interview, Love claimed that he enjoys playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves and compared them favorably to the Lakers.

"People think it's so far-fetched that I would stay in Minnesota," Love told GQ magazine. "And I'm not s------- on the Lakers, but we [the Timberwolves] have the better team, the better foundation. I'm having fun."

Looks like players like playing for good teams, not necessarily just big market teams. Ask Melo how fun it is to lose in NYC. This might be a reason for getting Gasol. The Suns can sell "the foundation" to free agents. He might add 3-4 wins this year, but that might make the Suns a little more attractive.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Looks like players like playing for good teams, not necessarily just big market teams. Ask Melo how fun it is to lose in NYC. This might be a reason for getting Gasol. The Suns can sell "the foundation" to free agents. He might add 3-4 wins this year, but that might make the Suns a little more attractive.

Agreed. Though I think its less about 3-4 regular season wins and more about the fact that adding Gasol might mean the Suns get out of Rd 1. That will help give them an image of 'up and coming' to potential FA's.

I'm hoping at this point that Charlotte doesn't offer LA picks for Gasol and that with no other offers, LA returns to PHX and just offers Gasol for Okafor straight up. That'd be a tremendous trade for the Suns.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Agreed. Though I think its less about 3-4 regular season wins and more about the fact that adding Gasol might mean the Suns get out of Rd 1. That will help give them an image of 'up and coming' to potential FA's.

I'm hoping at this point that Charlotte doesn't offer LA picks for Gasol and that with no other offers, LA returns to PHX and just offers Gasol for Okafor straight up. That'd be a tremendous trade for the Suns.

DOing that trade would make the Lakers look really stupid. I don't think they'll do it for that reason. They could have traded Gasol for Bynum straight up and saved a lot more money. I think they need at least one pick to save face or they'll just do nothing unless ownership really wants to get under the cap.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DOing that trade would make the Lakers look really stupid. I don't think they'll do it for that reason. They could have traded Gasol for Bynum straight up and saved a lot more money. I think they need at least one pick to save face or they'll just do nothing unless ownership really wants to get under the cap.

I suspect they wish they had made the deal but they thought they had Cleveland backed into a corner. Maybe the same will happen dealing with us but perhaps they'll recognize they are running out of options and time. I guess they'll have to decide whether they'd prefer to save a little face or a lot of cash. Or at least I hope they'll have to make that decision. I'd hate to see us take the pressure off by throwing in anything more than a future 2nd round pick.

I have mixed feelings about Gasol. He's always been a finesse player even though he does have a solid offensive game down low. He's not an upgrade defensively over any of our pretend centers and he can't/won't run the court. It would be nice to have someone capable of scoring when the game is forced into a half court style but I don't think a couple of months of that is worth very much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect they wish they had made the deal but they thought they had Cleveland backed into a corner. Maybe the same will happen dealing with us but perhaps they'll recognize they are running out of options and time. I guess they'll have to decide whether they'd prefer to save a little face or a lot of cash. Or at least I hope they'll have to make that decision. I'd hate to see us take the pressure off by throwing in anything more than a future 2nd round pick.

I have mixed feelings about Gasol. He's always been a finesse player even though he does have a solid offensive game down low. He's not an upgrade defensively over any of our pretend centers and he can't/won't run the court. It would be nice to have someone capable of scoring when the game is forced into a half court style but I don't think a couple of months of that is worth very much.

Wouldn't the Suns gain his Bird Rights this summer if they traded for him. This was mentioned as a reason the Lakers might want to keep him. Anyway, Gasol is better than anything the Suns have at center.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wouldn't the Suns gain his Bird Rights this summer if they traded for him. This was mentioned as a reason the Lakers might want to keep him. Anyway, Gasol is better than anything the Suns have at center.

I'm not sure one way or the other. I've seen him play pretty poorly at times and he's never been a defensive stalwart even before his decline. Couple that with all the rumors that he has no desire to be in Phoenix and I see little value in pursuing him. I don't think T. Young solves our problems but I'd rather go after him if the price is right. We'd still have most of our same weaknesses but he'd give us one more weapon capable of winning a game for us.

Right now, I don't want Gasol if he costs us a pick. Granted, if Jeff and McD feel otherwise I'll probably change my opinion pretty quickly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure one way or the other. I've seen him play pretty poorly at times and he's never been a defensive stalwart even before his decline. Couple that with all the rumors that he has no desire to be in Phoenix and I see little value in pursuing him. I don't think T. Young solves our problems but I'd rather go after him if the price is right. We'd still have most of our same weaknesses but he'd give us one more weapon capable of winning a game for us.

Right now, I don't want Gasol if he costs us a pick. Granted, if Jeff and McD feel otherwise I'll probably change my opinion pretty quickly.

Same here.

I would give the Lakers a second round pick if it helps them swallow the idea better.

HooverDam

Reaction score
RE: Gasol

Yes the Suns would get his bird rights, so even if he doesn't want to stay here, that helps them make other moves.

Yes he's not a great defender, nor is he particularly quick. However he's an excellent passer and strong offensive force on the inside. Even when fully healthy this Suns roster doesnt' have much interior scoring and Gasol would address that.

Giving up Okafor for him is basically the same as getting him for free. So if thats the trade and you don't like it, I would ask: if Gasol could be had for literally nothing, would you still turn that down? If so, I think thats weird.

The only minor downsides are A. blocking some playing time for younger guys (mostly Len, but he needs time to get his body right anyhow) and B. Was there something better the Suns could've gotten for Okafors deal? As fans we'll likely never know the answer to B since we aren't on the inside.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Same here.

I would give the Lakers a second round pick if it helps them swallow the idea better.

I should have clarified that. I wouldn't want to give up a 1st round pick in a deal for Gasol. I could probably stretch that to include the possibility of the Indiana pick as it's likely to be at the bottom of the round.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RE: Gasol

Yes the Suns would get his bird rights, so even if he doesn't want to stay here, that helps them make other moves.

Yes he's not a great defender, nor is he particularly quick. However he's an excellent passer and strong offensive force on the inside. Even when fully healthy this Suns roster doesnt' have much interior scoring and Gasol would address that.

Giving up Okafor for him is basically the same as getting him for free. So if thats the trade and you don't like it, I would ask: if Gasol could be had for literally nothing, would you still turn that down? If so, I think thats weird.

The only minor downsides are A. blocking some playing time for younger guys (mostly Len, but he needs time to get his body right anyhow) and B. Was there something better the Suns could've gotten for Okafors deal? As fans we'll likely never know the answer to B since we aren't on the inside.

Len is not anywhere close to ready to be a factor in the NBA so I don't worry about Gasol effecting Len's progress.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake