Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just read Jordan Goodwin has the best defensive rating in the league currently.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eubanks is more effective off the bench getting to go at the second unit. He wouldn't be as effective starting. Suns need a 5 that can take the first punch. While I agree Nurkic leaves a little left to be desired, he is doing a role. Overall, Suns getting considerable production from the 5s. With KD/Book, you have 2 other spots filled. What we need is to figure out what we can get from Allen, Gordon on offense vs what you can get on defense from players like Goodwin/KBD/Little etc.

Welcome aboard 1982baskets.

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
Just read Jordan Goodwin has the best defensive rating in the league currently.
This is the Vogel effect. If you go back to his teams, anyone that has even a little bit defensive talent gets much better. The issue with us is that we just don't have enough players with that "dog" as they say, or defensive mentality. It may take some time. We may need more moves as well. Not counting the team out, because we've only seen Book/KD in 4 games (and 2 consecutive games) where they are 3-1. However to win a title, or come close to, we'll need this team to be at least a top 10 defensive team playing Vogel style defense. Not sure if we have the talent for it, though. May need to be players like KBD, Little, Goodwin getting much more minutes than we anticipated. However as I've said, that may come at a cost, you are often subsituting defense for offense and vice-versa. Best case if we can get two way role players.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is the Vogel effect. If you go back to his teams, anyone that has even a little bit defensive talent gets much better. The issue with us is that we just don't have enough players with that "dog" as they say, or defensive mentality. It may take some time. We may need more moves as well. Not counting the team out, because we've only seen Book/KD in 4 games (and 2 consecutive games) where they are 3-1. However to win a title, or come close to, we'll need this team to be at least a top 10 defensive team playing Vogel style defense. Not sure if we have the talent for it, though. May need to be players like KBD, Little, Goodwin getting much more minutes than we anticipated. However as I've said, that may come at a cost, you are often subsituting defense for offense and vice-versa. Best case if we can get two way role players.
I think okogie and eubanks fall into that category of good defenders as well. Book is capable. KD is in spurts.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
For a defensive minded coach, Vogel played Yuta too much who was the weakest link on D, without sufficient off. production to justify it. He inserted Little in 2nd half vs. Utah instead, our D became better. Individually, Eubanks/Okogie/KBD/Goodwin are the best defense savvy rotation players, Little/Allen are willing and gritty but need more attention to details and def. smarts, while Gordon is a just a bit slow due to age. Over the last couple games, we've seen quite some improvement in team D, but they need do more and I believe they can get a lot better with time.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For a defensive minded coach, Vogel played Yuta too much who was the weakest link on D, without sufficient off. production to justify it. He inserted Little in 2nd half vs. Utah instead, our D became better. Individually, Eubanks/Okogie/KBD/Goodwin are the best defense savvy rotation players, Little/Allen are willing and gritty but need more attention to details and def. smarts, while Gordon is a just a bit slow due to age. Over the last couple games, we've seen quite some improvement in team D, but they need do more and I believe they can get a lot better with time.

He has been reducing Yutas minutes. I think he only played 10 at Utah.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has been reducing Yutas minutes. I think he only played 10 at Utah.

Which is a good thing. Yuta is active, I'll give him that, but that doesn't make him good defensively. He's a shooter who has been trying to do a little too much offensively also. He was The Man for the Japan team in the Olympic qualifiers and it seems he's had trouble reverting back to NBA role player. It's not that he's awful but he's not good enough to be effective playing that way at this level.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I see no point in keeping Saben Lee. It seems to have been generally agreed that Lee is not a playmaker (thus one can also say "no point in Saben Lee" if one wanted to make an annoying pun), but also that a backup playmaker would be useful. If Saben Lee could be that, I suppose coach would have used him substantially while Booker was out. I wonder why the team doesn't just waive Lee.
Mainstreet is going to fight you.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see no point in keeping Saben Lee. It seems to have been generally agreed that Lee is not a playmaker (thus one can also say "no point in Saben Lee" if one wanted to make an annoying pun), but also that a backup playmaker would be useful. If Saben Lee could be that, I suppose coach would have used him substantially while Booker was out. I wonder why the team doesn't just waive Lee.

Saban Lee and Udoka Azubuike are on two-way contracts, thus they are not on the standard 15-man roster.

The Suns even have another two-way spot open. I'm not sure why you want to waive a player when there is no need to do so.

I do not understand where you came up with the idea Lee is not a point guard. This is his listed position. The hope for the Suns is Lee keeps improving and may eventually make the standard roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Players are Two-Way eligible when they have 3 or fewer years of NBA service. Saban Lee isn't great but he's also a Two-Way player, which essentially says he's one of the better prospects from the GLeague. Does that mean he's worthy of minutes on a contender? Absolutely not. It would be great if he was and anything he provides is gravy since he's not taking a roster spot. It doesn't hurt to keep him and see if he can develop.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saban Lee and Udoka Azubuike are on two-way contracts, thus they are not on the standard 15-man roster.

The Suns even have another two-way spot open. I'm not sure why you want to waive a player when there is no need to do so.

I do not understand where you came up with the idea Lee is not a point guard. This is his listed position. The hope for the Suns is Lee keeps improving and may eventually make the standard roster.

Cmon he looks to get his shot first before setting up anyone.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Interesting look at where the Suns sit ~ 15% into the season:

Not surprising:
- Bottom 5 in TOs per game
- Bottom 5 in forcing TOs per game
- Top 5 in FT%

Surprising:
- Top in Blocks per game
- 7th in FTA per game
- 2nd in 3p%

You must be registered for see images attach

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So the guy with lesser stats won the POTW?
Gonna be the same with MVP voting. Book and KD will cancel each other out to an extent.

Though Sabonis averaged 28/13/7 the past week and that didn't stop his teammate from getting the award so. :shrug:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Not surprising:
- Top 5 in FT%

Surprising:
- Top in Blocks per game
- 7th in FTA per game
- 2nd in 3p%

Man the FT/game and 3% scream efficient offense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not surprising:
- Top 5 in FT%

Surprising:
- Top in Blocks per game
- 7th in FTA per game
- 2nd in 3p%

I don't find 2nd in 3pt shooting surprising, unless you mean you are surprised we aren't first.

Turnovers and giving up offensive rebounds are our two biggest issues - and not using Durant as effectively as we should on offense - although I have seen some improvement recently.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't find 2nd in 3pt shooting surprising, unless you mean you are surprised we aren't first.

Turnovers and giving up offensive rebounds are our two biggest issues - and not using Durant as effectively as we should on offense - although I have seen some improvement recently.
How is that, do tell?