Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker leads the Suns with the most 30 point games in Suns history.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gordon...when he's off, he's off. When he's on, he's on. I think we need to start treating him like JO and Yuta, if he's off, pull him. Big game last night, playoff like, he didn't do much at anytime. JO, nothing as well in a big game. Do we look to package some of these guys together?

Or perhaps use an exception while we can. IIRC, players and the exception cannot be combined?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Gordon...when he's off, he's off. When he's on, he's on. I think we need to start treating him like JO and Yuta, if he's off, pull him. Big game last night, playoff like, he didn't do much at anytime. JO, nothing as well in a big game. Do we look to package some of these guys together?

Or perhaps use an exception while we can. IIRC, players and the exception cannot be combined?
Who do we play when he is off? We are going small with him. ESPN analysis today was the Suns need more size. Would be great to get another big. When Nurkic gets in foul trouble, so do we.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Talking about needing another big....

Tell me, did Vogel play Metu at all yesterday??

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Talking about needing another big....

Tell me, did Vogel play Metu at all yesterday??
Nope. No Bol Bol either. If he's not going to play those guys, I guess we need someone else? Azubuike, 6'11", either.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Metu produces when he’s in, don’t know why Vogel is cosplaying as Monty

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Much of our bench consists of dudes that could hardly see the court on teams that had much lower aspirations than we do.

I don't really blame the coach for being hesitant to put these dudes on the court during a close game when we've been boat housed in minutes they've played previously.

Metu's splits are really bad, Bol's are a horror show.

IMO, the real killer right now is that neither Okogie or Diop have shown the shooting or decision making to allow them to be on the court late in games, as a result we have to play Allen and Gordon together and those 2 combine make getting stops really difficult.

We probably should be using every late game stoppage to swap Okogie for Allen and vice versa depending on possession.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Devin Booker leads the Suns with the most 30 point games in Suns history.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
166 doesn't include playoffs. Including playoffs, Book has 186 games with 30+ points. Durant has 18 games with 30+ including playoffs.

At the rate that includes playoffs, it would take Durant 346 more games to reach 186 games with 30+ points.

By the time Durant reaches 186 games with 30+ points, Booker will be at 296.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need another big. Seeing Metu contribute would be nice but he's not a consistent rotation player that can be relied upon. JJ waiving Cam Payne was dumb, signing Bol Bol was dumber, and failing to make any sort of move so far makes me hope he's on the hot seat. What's available, I don't know but Payne was a moveable expiring contract which could have facilitated a deal. Combine his deal with Little and maybe we get a slightly overpaid veteran to shore up the front line. If we fail to advance this year then the blame should be laid on James Jones first and foremost. Vogel hasn't been great but I can't fault him when you supply him a roster of 13 wings, 2 NBA bigs, and 1/2 a PG and tell him to quit turning the ball over and protect the rim.

James Jones refused to get us a PG years back before Chris Paul, finally added Rubio and didn't get him a backup until Monty suggested Cam Payne for the bubble. Payne was a Monty find, they had worked together in OKC. JJ doesn't deserve credit for that. JJ had a front row seat for how dysfunctional the no PG Suns have been over the last decade but he refused to do anything about it, in fact making it worse.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need another big. Seeing Metu contribute would be nice but he's not a consistent rotation player that can be relied upon. JJ waiving Cam Payne was dumb, signing Bol Bol was dumber, and failing to make any sort of move so far makes me hope he's on the hot seat. What's available, I don't know but Payne was a moveable expiring contract which could have facilitated a deal. Combine his deal with Little and maybe we get a slightly overpaid veteran to shore up the front line. If we fail to advance this year then the blame should be laid on James Jones first and foremost. Vogel hasn't been great but I can't fault him when you supply him a roster of 13 wings, 2 NBA bigs, and 1/2 a PG and tell him to quit turning the ball over and protect the rim.

James Jones refused to get us a PG years back before Chris Paul, finally added Rubio and didn't get him a backup until Monty suggested Cam Payne for the bubble. Payne was a Monty find, they had worked together in OKC. JJ doesn't deserve credit for that. JJ had a front row seat for how dysfunctional the no PG Suns have been over the last decade but he refused to do anything about it, in fact making it worse.
Metu plays like a small forward not a center, he just prefers to hang out at the three point line.

We need someone who can rebound, protect the rim and bang in the post.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Metu plays like a small forward not a center, he just prefers to hang out at the three point line.

We need someone who can rebound, protect the rim and bang in the post.
And that's your excuse for not playing him against the Lakers? Come on.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think for only one game, maybe it was the Knicks, where we saw Eubanks and Metu in together. We haven't seen that combo together enough imo, i would like to see that more when we play some bigger teams.

We keep trading offense for defense when we roll out Allen and Gordon together with Book and KD. It seem that Metu or Little could provide some more size, strength, athleticism and rebounding than maybe Gordon could during the last 5 minutes of the game. Little and Metu can also hit the 3.

Seems like when Gordon is off, he doesn't contribute much else to the game, and we lose.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And that's your excuse for not playing him against the Lakers? Come on.
I don't see how he would have helped.

He's not particularly good defensively and he is no great rebounder and he isn't as good a shooter as Allen or Gordon who were just sitting at the three point line never getting any shots up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trading Cam Payne for essentially nothing and adding Bol Bol were indeed perplexing moves. And both of these were in areas of need.

Maybe free agents like Favors, Dieng or Harrell might help upfront. There is not much available at the point guard position.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't see how he would have helped.

He's not particularly good defensively and he is no great rebounder and he isn't as good a shooter as Allen or Gordon who were just sitting at the three point line never getting any shots up.
When we were down 17 you don't think it was worth it to try? You have a really low opinion of him.