The $12M is going to be spent so stop worrying

Cardiologist

Veteran
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The $12M is going to be spent so stop worrying

Originally posted by jon_nyaz
What I believe is that the best chance the Cards have for success is NOT to randomly overpay every free agent they come across in the hopes that they will magically make the playoffs. It takes time to build a champion and teams usually do it one side of the ball at a time.
Like Smith and Blake?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The $12M is going to be spent so stop worrying

Originally posted by jon_nyaz
What I believe is that the best chance the Cards have for success is NOT to randomly overpay every free agent they come across in the hopes that they will magically make the playoffs. It takes time to build a champion and teams usually do it one side of the ball at a time.

Watch out Jon.You will crucified for attempting to post a logical thought here.Don`t tick off the naysayers.:hammer:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Originally posted by Floridacard

I would like to stay as far under the cap as possible. Look at some of the guys whos contracts are up this year. Owens, Woodson, Bailey. I'd rather save the money to get a big time player or two than a couple of so so players this year.

The problem is those guys will never see the free agent market. See,some teams actually like to keep their best players an re-sign them.If not,they use the dreaded(by the Cards anyway) franchise tag.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
So i your opinion the Cards should have kept Rice who was openly ticked about being in AZ and could have been a bigger headache than he was.As for DB good riddance to bad rubbish.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
The problem is those guys will never see the free agent market. See,some teams actually like to keep their best players an re-sign them.If not,they use the dreaded(by the Cards anyway) franchise tag.

Depends on their salary cap situation. Yes, teams will keep their best players when they can. How many star players have we lost that we should have kept? Plummer stinks, Boston is a joke, Rice didn't want to be here and wouldn't play for us. 2 guys we're better off without and one (the only one who's been productive) who isn't here because of him, not management. Yes it would have been nice getting something for Boston but didn't we hurt San Diego enough by letting them sign him? Only 2 teams wanted him, he wasn't a hot commodity. They were already taking a risk just by signing him, I doubt we could've gotten much for him. Graves could've tagged and and removed it, but they wanted to make sure the 260lb freak WR who has 2 receptions for 20 yards didn't stay here.

Months ago there was talk about Tampa not resigning Sapp. He was upset that they weren't talking to him about an extension and many people belive McFarland is better than him anyway. Any veteran heavy team will usually be close to the max so they don't always resign all their top players. Owens might not want to stay in San Francisco but we still have a ways to go before anyone knows. As far as good teams keeping their players look at Philly. They have a policy of not resigning players over 30 and they have let go guys like Hugh Douglas, Brian Mitchel and Jeremiah Trotter.