The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The economy hasn't rebounded? Tell that to Lakers fans

Choice seats to Game 5 of the NBA Finals against the Boston Celtics are going for more than $27,000. Merchandise revenues are also up, as are TV ratings and traffic on the league's official website.

By Steve Springer, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 5, 2008

It will probably become someone's memorable Father's Day gift: a seat right behind the visitors' bench at Staples Center to watch the Lakers and Boston Celtics that day in Game 5 of the NBA Finals.

Should the best-of-seven series, which begins tonight in Boston, go to a fifth game, that seat is available for $27,028.

The nation may be struggling with soaring fuel prices, high food bills and rising home foreclosures, but when it comes to the revival of the celebrated Lakers-Celtics matchup in the NBA championship series after 21 years, all economic indicators are up. Ticket prices and merchandise revenue have risen steadily through this postseason, as have television ratings and online hits, with an even bigger jump anticipated for the Finals.

StubHub, an online ticket service, is offering the Father's Day special with up to eight individual seats available at the $27,028 price. For a group, a 44-person suite is being offered for $51,431.

"This is the biggest thing I've experienced at Staples Center since it opened," said Tim Leiweke, president of AEG, owner and operator of the arena. "We've had the Grammys, concerts, championship fights, figure skating and the Pac 10 tournament along with the five teams that play here, but I've never seen anything like this. . . . People are buying premier seats [starting at $15,000 each] for next season to get the right to buy tickets for this series. Just during lunch today, Tim Harris [who handles seats for celebrities] had 10 calls. Everybody who is anybody wants in."

In Boston, enthusiasm is also high, although tickets are not quite as expensive. The chants of "Beat L.A.," a mantra from the '80s, began in the Boston locker room after the Celtics beat the Detroit Pistons on Friday night to qualify for the Finals, and have echoed from Faneuil Hall to Harvard Square.

"It's been phenomenal," said Chris Villani, a Boston sports radio host. "There's been a mixture of relief and euphoria."

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Beat LA...Beat LA...Beat LA...Beat LA..."

I can seriously not wait to hear that. In the land where it originated. It is special. It never sounds right unless you hear it in the Finals.

4 freaking hours??? How can I wait that long? Listening to the Loose Cannons is only making me more tense.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Beat LA...Beat LA...Beat LA...Beat LA..."

I can seriously not wait to hear that. In the land where it originated. It is special. It never sounds right unless you hear it in the Finals.

4 freaking hours??? How can I wait that long? Listening to the Loose Cannons is only making me more tense.

Ha ha.

You mean "Beat LA" didnt come from Phoenix or Sac?!?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the other thread...same thoughts apply:

Word of the week is still split.

Damn..Lakers played a REALLY bad 4th quarter. And Kobe needs to stop with the freaking jumpers. FFS. We damn near stole that game, then all hell broke down. They failed to take advantage when PP went down for a bit...they tightened, didn't score, then he came back and fueled a nice comeback.

For those saying there "is no rivalry" you can go pound sand. This is a rivalry. This is going to be a fun freaking series. That's one of the most exciting games I've watched in a long...long time. Nothing does it like a Lakers/Celtics series. NOTHING.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KG just beasted yall piss yellow jersey fnas to death in game one.. How sweet it is..

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd win the first in a split. Phil is something like 41-0 in playoff series when his teams win the first game. :bang:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
From the other thread...same thoughts apply:

Word of the week is still split.

Damn..Lakers played a REALLY bad 4th quarter. And Kobe needs to stop with the freaking jumpers. FFS. We damn near stole that game, then all hell broke down. They failed to take advantage when PP went down for a bit...they tightened, didn't score, then he came back and fueled a nice comeback.

For those saying there "is no rivalry" you can go pound sand. This is a rivalry. This is going to be a fun freaking series. That's one of the most exciting games I've watched in a long...long time. Nothing does it like a Lakers/Celtics series. NOTHING.

bad 4th quarter? Good defense by Boston. They stopped Kobe from driving is why he shot the ball so much. The defense by Boston was outstanding. No matter what, the series will end in Boston. No way Lakers take the next 4 games.

This will go to 7 games. Very evenly matched but the defense and rebounding will prevail.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
KG just beasted yall piss yellow jersey fnas to death in game one.. How sweet it is..
Did you see that dunk by KG? Gasol was barely jumping while KG was already running back.

No more excuses, the Lakers played with Gasol and they still have yet to beat the big green.

Can't forget that the Celtics have also gone 28-5 against West teams. Can't forget that about 79% of all teams that win the first game win the series. The Celtics are running on all cylinders now...

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We didn't play that great and the game was still close. I'm not worried...yet.

Seemed like no one wanted to step up and take over...or rebound.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bad 4th quarter? Good defense by Boston. They stopped Kobe from driving is why he shot the ball so much. The defense by Boston was outstanding. No matter what, the series will end in Boston. No way Lakers take the next 4 games.

This will go to 7 games. Very evenly matched but the defense and rebounding will prevail.

Did you watch the game? It was a terrible 4th quarter by a team that usually has strong 4th quarters. VERY OPEN SHOTS were bricks.

Kobe drove late...it was early on that he settled for jumpers. Joe, I have a feeling you watch basketball through a kaleidescope since your views are almost always so dead wrong. Early on, Kobe took many, many jumpers from the outside...they were off...late in the game, he drove and threw up garbage shots, gripping. Then the rest of the team bricked open shots. 5 of 20 as a team in the 4th. That wasn't Boston's defense...it was the moment...and the Lakers failed.

But, it was to be expected. I'm glad the Suntics fans and the Celtic fans are all juicing their juicy shorts now, because they've done nothing but hold serve. Split is the goal, and Sunday could be bad for Green guys. Nobody has done anything yet.

This series is great so far. I hope these two teams meet for the next five years.

Oh, and thank GOD for the DVR...one point in the 4th, I paused and collected my breath. I thought..."man, DVRs probably could be labeled a lifesaving device during sporting events."

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early on Kobe was hitting ridiculous jumpers. Late in the game he couldn't hit anything it seemed. At times he had "hands of Kwame."

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Did you watch the game? It was a terrible 4th quarter by a team that usually has strong 4th quarters. VERY OPEN SHOTS were bricks.

Kobe drove late...it was early on that he settled for jumpers. Joe, I have a feeling you watch basketball through a kaleidescope since your views are almost always so dead wrong. Early on, Kobe took many, many jumpers from the outside...they were off...late in the game, he drove and threw up garbage shots, gripping. Then the rest of the team bricked open shots. 5 of 20 as a team in the 4th. That wasn't Boston's defense...it was the moment...and the Lakers failed.

But, it was to be expected. I'm glad the Suntics fans and the Celtic fans are all juicing their juicy shorts now, because they've done nothing but hold serve. Split is the goal, and Sunday could be bad for Green guys. Nobody has done anything yet.

This series is great so far. I hope these two teams meet for the next five years.

Oh, and thank GOD for the DVR...one point in the 4th, I paused and collected my breath. I thought..."man, DVRs probably could be labeled a lifesaving device during sporting events."
yea, I watched the WHOLE GAME. I also realized that Christopher Reina's study on Kobe Bryant's shooting habits was validated tonight.;)

9-26 shooting ...20 or more...20 or more.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early on Kobe was hitting ridiculous jumpers. Late in the game he couldn't hit anything it seemed. At times he had "hands of Kwame."

Uhm, no. He wasn't. Early on he was 1-6, 2-7.

I was SCREAMING at the TV for him to stop shooting jumpers.

Unless by "early on" you mean the late second, third quarters.

:rolleyes:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a lakers or Celtic fan perhaps, but not so much for the rest of us.

Oh come on...don't lie. You know that game was exciting. There were what, 18 lead changes...15 ties? That game was INTENSE. And it was game one.

Come on. Lakers/Celtics IS the freaking NBA.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, how weird was it that Paul Pierce faked the knee injury so he could come back and jazz up the crowd and hit those big threes and be the hero? I mean, CARRY the guy out and he comes back in hopping around? What a prima donna...

yeah lacardjoe and other "ooh kobe is fakin' the back" types, that one is for you.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooooh, I friggin HATE the Celtics. HATE HATE HATE!!!

Ghost of KG, Ray Allen's bitch ass....PP's inglewood weak ass, Rondo's big head...Alien's otherworldly shots tonight.

Ooooh...is it SUNDAY yet???????? Split this ****!!!

Damn, this franchise disgusts me.

A wheelchair Paul? Really? A freaking wheelchair?

|
|
|
|
|
V

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, how weird was it that Paul Pierce faked the knee injury so he could come back and jazz up the crowd and hit those big threes and be the hero? I mean, CARRY the guy out and he comes back in hopping around? What a prima donna...

yeah lacardjoe and other "ooh kobe is fakin' the back" types, that one is for you.

Ooooh, I friggin HATE the Celtics. HATE HATE HATE!!!

Ghost of KG, Ray Allen's bitch ass....PP's inglewood weak ass, Rondo's big head...Alien's otherworldly shots tonight.

Ooooh...is it SUNDAY yet???????? Split this ****!!!

Damn, this franchise disgusts me.

A wheelchair Paul? Really? A freaking wheelchair?

|
|
|
|
|
V

Its a conspiracy lmao..