The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
SI.com just did this. They slid KB over to SF and had no qualms about doing so.
Indeed that's what you'd have to do. Bring Worthy off the bench.

Here's the article from SI.com. They're asking who wins a seven-game series on a neutral court between the all-time Celtics team and the all-time Lakers team. Of course if you look at the teams, it's pretty obvious to me that the Laker team would sweep away the Celtic team and none of the games would be close.

http://www.fannation.com/throwdowns/show/178858

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

See, that's what I thought about doing too, but I can't see Elgin at the 4 spot...he's what, 6'5"? Elgin as the sixth man is just freaking sick though...dude is one of the greatest players ever...should have got rings in the 60s.

I'd bench Elgin for Worthy and put Kobe at the 3, but not be happy about it. The problem would be mostly how the hell to get playing time for all the talent!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FFS, can this series START already?

I just watched my favorite game of all time...Game 4 of the 87 finals. While the shot is still one of my all time greatest plays, most people don't remember how unreal it was watching Larry catch that ball with 2 seconds left, wide open of a sweet move, pull up at one of his favorite money spots and hit back rim as time expired. He makes that shot 8 out of 10 times. I clearly remember sitting on my knees watching that shot rim out at a basketball camp...stomach sitting in my throat. When he missed, I went nuts...then we all..and I mean everyone...went out on the court and started doing Magic's shot.

Come on Thursday!!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The MACHINE!!

Jordan copycat?

You must be registered for see images

Steve nash?

Uhm...Beckham?

Bynum isn't the only guy working out with Kareem it appears...

One ups Larry Bird

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's what I would do too.

Hell, if I had to, I'd start Magic at C. :)

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Simmons;

Put it this way: Word on the street is that Jack Nicholson dropped $35,000 per ticket for two courtsides for Game 1. You read that correctly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Simmons;

Put it this way: Word on the street is that Jack Nicholson dropped $35,000 per ticket for two courtsides for Game 1. You read that correctly.

Damn, I should have made that bet... I'm already down.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we see an even newer version of Kobe tonight.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald, who do you consider the greatest Laker of all-time? ESPN had a poll and Magic came in first and West came in 6th. :shock:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Three playing as 1
By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer
Jun 4, 6:24 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintBOSTON (AP)—Three stars. One basketball. Zero complaints.

Boston’s Big Three of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are playing for a championship in their first year together, finding success in the kind of selflessness only losing can teach.

Their scoring is down. Their minutes are down. But their spirits are up, because after a combined 2,774 career games, they’re about to play their first in the NBA finals.

“We’ve all been on that side of the fence, where everybody pats you on your back and tells you they love you because you hit the last-second shot,” Allen said this week as the Celtics prepared for Thursday night’s series opener against the Los Angeles Lakers.

“Now, it’s about winning, and being able to say that you won, and being to that certain promised land that everybody talks about trying to get to. We know we need each other to get there. Sometimes doing less is more.”

ADVERTISEMENT

With 25 All-Star appearances, thousands of points and, yes, plenty of winning shots, the Big Three have resumes to admire. Garnett already has Hall of Fame credentials, and Pierce and Allen would have a better chance if they’re riding through downtown Boston in a parade this month.

“They all had great individual careers, and they needed team success. And I think that helped us,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. “They have done everything except for one thing, and the one they haven’t done you can’t buy.”

A career 21-point scorer and eight-time All-Star, Allen’s average went up each year for five seasons before he was traded to Boston last summer. As the third option in the Big Three, he dropped nine points off his average from last year—from 26.4 to 17.4.

Pierce had averaged 25 points from 2000-2007; he was down to 19.6 per game this season.

Oh, but there was one stat that went up: assists.

“When we first got together, we talked about all those things. But at the end of the day we said, ‘What’s the ultimate goal: winning ballgames,”’ Pierce said. “Once we put our feet in the middle and said we’re all-in, that was it.”

Garnett was a 20-point, 10-rebound guy for each of the previous nine seasons. His numbers are also down this year—18.8 and 9.2—but no one is suggesting that his performance dropped off: He finished third in the MVP voting, and he was named the NBA’s defensive player of the year.

“I think the reason the three of us work is because we actually don’t just talk to you guys about sacrifice, but it’s something that we actually exercise,” Garnett said Wednesday. “It’s our way of life. It’s what we do, it’s what we’ve been doing. … We put the team above everything and the wins above everything, and at the end of the day that’s all that matters.”

You could forgive point guard Rajon Rondo if he didn’t know how things were going to work out. In just his second year in the league—his first as a starter—his job was to find the most open of his teammates, knowing that the other two could probably score as well.

On some teams, the wrong decision can lead to a lot of dirty looks and some grumbled, “Hey, I was open.”

Rondo hasn’t heard a single gripe.

“You expect it from guys like that, but they’ve been great teammates,” Rondo said. “They all want the ball, but they’re very unselfish guys— especially the Big Three.”

Ask backup point guard Sam Cassell, and he’ll say it’s because they have already had the opportunity to make the big shots, put up the big statistics, and earn the big contracts.

“Younger guys all try to get their numbers,” Cassell said, “but they’re already stars.”

But Rivers said he doesn’t think Garnett was ever like that. “Kevin’s been unselfish his whole career. Scoring doesn’t drive him,” the coach said.

Rivers knows a little about spreading the ball around.

As a player, he averaged just under six assists per game in a 13-year career, much of it feeding the ball to Dominique Wilkins. As a coach, he’s preached selflessness and adopted as the team’s motto the African concept of “Ubuntu,” which he translates as “a person is a person through other people.”

For Rivers, sacrificing yourself for the team is a nonnegotiable part of his philosophy.

“That’s not something I’m ever going to give in to,” he said.

Sure, but a lot of coaches preach selflessness only to be undermined by players with big contracts and big egos.

“There have been guys I haven’t reached, let’s put it that way,” Rivers said, “and none of them are here.”

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garnett provides big challenge to Lakers defense
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
Jun 4, 5:52 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintBOSTON (AP)—While Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers used an explosive offense to reach the NBA finals, their defensive adjustments were critical as well.

Now, after getting past the likes of Utah’s Carlos Boozer and San Antonio’s Tim Duncan in the Western Conference playoffs, they face perhaps their most daunting challenge in Boston’s Kevin Garnett, a versatile 7-footer who can do damage from the inside as well as the perimeter.

“My favorite word in this series is going to be `help,”’ Lakers forward Lamar Odom said Wednesday. “A guy like that, you need as much help as possible.”

Pau Gasol figures to be matched up on Garnett most of the time when the finals begin Thursday night, but Odom and just about everyone else who plays for the Lakers will be called upon to add support.

ADVERTISEMENT

“You can’t stop him,” Gasol said. “I’ll try to make it as tough for him as I can. I thought I did a decent job on Tim Duncan. Every one of us is going to have to do his best.”

Their best was certainly good enough in the first three rounds of the playoffs. After sweeping Denver, the Lakers had their hands full against Utah before winning in six games thanks in great part to their defensive effort against the burly Boozer, who was pretty well held in check in five of the six games.

Duncan dominated Gasol in the first half of the first game in the conference finals, but the Lakers were much more effective against the Spurs’ star after that, and also did a good job defensively against Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

Paul Pierce and Ray Allen provide outside shooting threats, but the key would seem to be Garnett, a player the Lakers targeted last summer, with Odom reportedly part of the package offered to Minnesota. But they lost out to the Celtics.

Garnett spent his first 12 NBA seasons with the Timberwolves—a Western Conference team.

“We have faced him in the playoffs before,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “Three of our players were in that 2004 playoffs against Minnesota and obviously know his effect on the series, even out to the 3-point line as a shooter.”

Garnett was the MVP that season, but the Timberwolves lost to the Lakers in the conference finals—the closest he came to reaching the NBA finals before this year.

Garnett averaged 21.5 points and 11.5 rebounds in two games against Los Angeles this season. The Celtics won both, but they came before the Lakers acquired the 7-foot Gasol from Memphis on Feb. 1.

Garnett is averaging 21.1 points and 9.8 rebounds in 20 playoff games.

“You have to try to front him, try to keep the ball out of his hands as much as possible,” Odom said. “He’s so tall, so strong, so athletic, he’s going to catch the ball. Of course he can shoot the ball from 18, 19 feet. He dunks the basketball. So you have to keep the ball out of his hands as much as possible. He runs like a gazelle. You have to just keep your body on him, move your feet, contest his shots.

“Kevin Garnett is going to take and make some shots that you can’t help. You’ve got to be right in his face. I’m 6-10. When he jumps and turns over me, all I see is the number 5.”

Boston coach Doc Rivers sees similarities between these Lakers and the Showtime Lakers of the 1980s, who won two of their three finals matchups with the Celtics, most recently in 1987.

“They’re a better defensive team than people give them credit for,” Rivers said. “Everyone saw the flash with the Showtime Lakers, no one saw the grit. They (were) a great defensive team, a great interior defensive team. You never hear about the (coach Pat) Riley teams being a great defensive team, but they were.

“They’re very good. they do a great job of denials on elbows and wings, and we’re going to have to deal with that pressure.”

The Lakers and Celtics are meeting in the finals for the 11th time and the first since 1987—the last time the Celtics got this far.

“I’m looking forward to going out here and competing against this great team in the New England area and doing my best,” said Odom, who played his only collegiate season at nearby Rhode Island.