The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hill wasnt set before Ariza left the ground. It's a block.

Looked like a charge to me. It was close enough in that they would normally look at the feet of the defender to call a charge/block.

Pretty looking dunk either way.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arquette and I have the same shoes. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

:D

Looks like a basketball play.. Any reason for posting it? And please dont tell me its facializing Hill cuz he is trying to take the charge..

Heres a better angle where you can clearly see Grants feet set to take the charge..

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres a better angle where you can clearly see Grants feet set to take the charge..

Watch the video. Hill's feet werent set when Ariza jumped.

The other charges in the game were questionable though.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch the video. Hill's feet werent set when Ariza jumped.

The other charges in the game were questionable though.

Im not disputing if it was or wasnt a charge.. Im just saying Hill didnt get facialized becasuse he was trying to take a charge, he gave up his body.. I consider getting faced when a play goes after the ball for a block..

Which brings me back to my original question.. Why did you post this pick? To have a in depth convo about if it was a charge or not? I knew you had some Suns blood in you.. Check you out trying to help out Suns fans with the pic.. :D

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not disputing if it was or wasnt a charge.. Im just saying Hill didnt get facialized becasuse he was trying to take a charge, he gave up his body.. I consider getting faced when a play goes after the ball for a block..

Which brings me back to my original question.. Why did you post this pick? To have a in depth convo about if it was a charge or not? I knew you had some Suns blood in you.. Check you out trying to help out Suns fans with the pic.. :D

Nah, I wouldnt call it a facial either. I posted it because it was a jaw-dropping play and sweet dunk. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you showed that pic. Hill was outside of the circle, and that was a charge.

Hill was moving underneath Ariza. He was not set as TA was taking off, and was coming up into the rising Ariza. Clearly not a charge. Should have been either a no call or a block.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The Lakers show they're for real
By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com
Updated: December 25, 2007

You must be registered for see images attach

The Lakers have beaten the Suns (twice), Spurs and Pistons en route to an 18-10 record.

LOS ANGELES --- At this rate it won't be long before the Lakers will have a rivalry with the Phoenix Suns.

We can't say that yet, at least not if we adhere to the regulations once set forth by Kobe Bryant. After the Lakers beat the Sacramento Kings in that draining 2002 Western Conference finals, I asked Bryant if the Kings were the Lakers' biggest rivals. He said I couldn't use that word. "They've got to beat us in the playoffs first," Bryant said. "C'mon, you know the rules."

So maybe the Lakers' 122-115 victory over the Suns at Staples Center on Christmas Day didn't change the terminology, and maybe Suns coach Mike D'Antoni could afford to say, "This doesn't bother me," seeing how it came in the regular season.

But after the Suns bounced the Lakers from the playoffs the past two seasons, the Lakers finally look ready to take a seven-game series from them for the first time since Steve Nash arrived in Phoenix.

That's one revelation from this game. The other is that Phil Jackson looks incredibly goofy in a red bow tie. Hopefully it will be banished to the bottom of a dresser drawer.

We have a solid foundation. We really do. We have length, we have speed, we have quickness, we have shot-blocking. We have guys that can steal the ball. We have playmakers. It's looking very solid.

But what's likely to make another appearance come playoff time is Andrew Bynum. If he's going to put up numbers like this -- a career-high 28 points, 12 rebounds, four assists and two blocked shots -- he gives the Lakers the perfect weapon to go at the Suns' size weakness. "He's a handful," Suns forward Shawn Marion said. "They've got a legitimate big man."

Phil Jackson and Bryant did their best to provide the disclaimers. They remember how the Lakers stumbled to a 42-40 record after being 13 games above .500 at one point last season, and they haven't forgotten Bynum's fade after a promising start last year.

"We just want to maintain what we are about," Jackson said. "Every game, come out and play that kind of game, show consistency. At the end of the year, if [Bynum] is the MVP, then we'll say what a great year he's had."

With Bynum in the frontcourt along with Lamar Odom (who pounds the Suns on the boards and had 14 more rebounds Tuesday), the Lakers forced the Suns to go with a big lineup of Amare Stoudemire, Brian Skinner, Boris Diaw and Marion for a long stretch in the fourth quarter. That kept one of Phoenix's top 3-point shooters (and primary Kobe defender), Raja Bell, on the bench.

The other thing that's changed from past Lakers-Suns games is Phoenix's domination at the point guard position. To paraphrase Rose Royce, Smush don't live here anymore. Sure, Nash still gets the check in the matchup box, but with the return of Derek Fisher and the improvement of Jordan Farmar, the difference isn't as pronounced as it used to be. Last season, Nash outscored Parker by an average of 22 to nine. In two games so far this season -- both won by the Lakers -- Fisher has the difference down to a respectable 22 to 17.

Bynum also exposed Stoudemire's slow defensive rotations and reluctance to box out. And Bynum and Fisher negate the arrival of Grant Hill -- especially after new Lakers acquisition Trevor Ariza helped limit Hill to only two second-half points. (How about Ariza, making the most of his first Lakers start and 33 minutes to get 14 points, seven rebounds and the highlight of the game: throwing down a dunk over a planted Hill the way Kobe did to Nash a couple of years ago).

Ariza's athleticism, Bynum's height, Fisher's vet presence ... what are we leaving out? Oh yeah, Kobe. He was the superior superstar in the end, outperforming Nash and taking over the fourth quarter, when he scored 12 of his 38 points.

You still won't get him to gush about this team. At one point he nearly apologized for his basic, "Belichicky" answers that sounded a lot like the hooded coach. But Kobelichick did allow this: "We have a solid foundation. We really do. We have length, we have speed, we have quickness, we have shot-blocking. We have guys that can steal the ball. We have playmakers. It's looking very solid."

It's looking like a team that can compete with the Suns, whom they trail by only one game in the Pacific Division and shouldn't fear if they meet in the postseason. D'Antoni didn't sound panicky. "I think we're pretty good," he said. "Last time I checked we were one or two games off the lead in the West." Notice that, unlike the testy exchange at the end of their last meeting, he didn't talk about busting the Lakers in the playoffs.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which brings me back to my original question.. Why did you post this pick?

Uhm, it was a spectacular dunk that got the entire arena on its feet and he basically teabagged Grant on his way up. It was a ferocious dunk.

That's why it was posted.

Also, because Ariza >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cook and Mo Evans. And that makes me happy.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhm, it was a spectacular dunk that got the entire arena on its feet and he basically teabagged Grant on his way up. It was a ferocious dunk.

That's why it was posted.

Also, because Ariza >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cook and Mo Evans. And that makes me happy.

I didnt see the play, so I was wondering.. I had the game on but my interest in the NBA is very low after evrything that happened last year..

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apparently, Christmas Day was not the first for Phillip.

"What's wrong with a bow tie? A little holiday spirit." - Phil Jackson (who later added that the tie was purely a "holiday special" and specifically, a Christmas holiday special. When I pressed him whether the neck-wear would get busted out on, say, Valentine's or Arbor Day, PJ shot down the notion.).

"I thought it looked nice, you know what I mean? It was more of an old school thing. You wouldn't catch me in it. But he pulled it off." - Andrew Bynum

"It was a good look. I liked it. Phil is full of surprises." - Lamar Odom

"It was disgusting. I don't know what he was thinking. Somebody asked me, Raja Bell, I don't know, they looked over and said, "Is Phil wearing a bow tie?" I kinda looked down. That was the first time I saw it. I kinda threw up in my mouth just a little bit." - Kobe Bryant

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"It was disgusting. I don't know what he was thinking. Somebody asked me, Raja Bell, I don't know, they looked over and said, "Is Phil wearing a bow tie?" I kinda looked down. That was the first time I saw it. I kinda threw up in my mouth just a little bit." - Kobe Bryant

LOL!!!

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fact: Bynum is just one month older than O.J. Mayo.

:thud:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fact: Bynum is just one month older than O.J. Mayo.

:thud:

What the......

Ok.. How old was Bynum when he got drafted? 17? 16? lol.. And how old is Mayo? Did the guy get held back a few years or something? I wouldnt doubt it, he doesnt seem to be all that bright.. Isnt this Bynum's 3rd season in the league? Man, thats crazy.. And odd..

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the......

Ok.. How old was Bynum when he got drafted? 17? 16? lol.. And how old is Mayo? Did the guy get held back a few years or something? I wouldnt doubt it, he doesnt seem to be all that bright.. Isnt this Bynum's 3rd season in the league? Man, thats crazy.. And odd..

Looking at Wikipedia, it looks like Mayo was held back.

Bynum was 17 years, 8 months when drafted.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the......

Bynum was 17 when he was drafted, hence his jersey number being 17.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outstanding article here.

Once the roster had been determined in training camp, Phil Jackson gathered his players for a meeting at the Lakers hotel in Hawaii. All around the room, they were required to stand one by one, give their name and say something about themselves.

And so, the rookies, Javaris Crittenton and Coby Karl, rose, and and the old returning champion, Derek Fisher, and finally, the most famous man in the room climbed to his feet.

“Hi, I’m Kobe Bryant and I want to win a championship.”

For a moment, it had to draw the air out of the room. After all, this was the tension that hung over the franchise like an anvil.

“That’s all he said,” Jordan Farmar said by phone Thursday. “That’s all that needed to be said.

“Listen,” Farmar said, “they don’t care what else happens here, except us raising a banner. This isn’t about getting through the first round of the playoffs, it’s about winning championships. That’s how it was at UCLA. Coach (Ben) Howland would chart our goals in the preseason and it would be: Win all of our games, win the Pac 10 and win the national title.

“They don’t hang any banners at Pauley Pavilion except national championships. And that’s the mentality with the Lakers. We are not here for stats. We are not here to get paid. We are here to win now. That’s the sacrifice we are all making.”

I freaking adore Jordan Farmar. Holy crap his attitude is fantastic. It's like Kobe Lite. Say what you want about Kobe, love him or hate him, but the guy just burns inside to win. I remember him crying on the bench after the SA game that knocked us out of the playoffs...sitting there crying. Some gave him grief, but I thought it was great...it was like he was a little boy whose puppy just got killed. Losing hurts.

Jordan is a little clone of him with the lines above and calling the gym his "laboratory." Ariza seems to be that hard worker too. Bynum has fully embraced hard work. Fish is a workout machine as well, he and Kobe work out quite often together. And Kobe is happy right now with winning and hard-working teammates.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers completely destroy the Jazz. I mean destroy. The game was over after the first quarter ended. The bench urinated away a 30 point lead to start the fourth quarter, but it was never in doubt. Nice to rest the starters for Sunday's game...that's a good thing.

Nice revenge for a bad loss we took up there where we just didn't come to play. Kobe was deadly, Bynum was nails, Ariza is just a great addition to this team. The fast triangle is a thing of beauty. And Kwame even came back so that adds some much needed depth.

Let's go beat those freaking Celtics now!!!! GET THOSE BASTARDS!! Oooh, I hate the green bastards soooo much.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
So through 29 games the Lakers are 19-10. Does that sound familiar? Yep, same as last year. End result: 42-40, #7 seed.

Come talk the "Lakers are great" smack in April when they tank it again. Although to be fair, I do think they'll win 43 games this year. :p

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So through 29 games the Lakers are 19-10. Does that sound familiar? Yep, same as last year. End result: 42-40, #7 seed.

Come talk the "Lakers are great" smack in April when they tank it again. Although to be fair, I do think they'll win 43 games this year. :p

Completely different scenarios. Last year they had a cake schedule at the outset, this year they have the leagues toughest schedule so far. In fact, every single statistic that matters is different for the Lakers last year and this. Average margin, efficiency, bench scoring, starter minutes, etc. The Lakers of last year didn't even show up in the Hollinger type ratings. This year they show up in the top 4, over and over again.

This is this year...that was last year. There is no Smush Parker out there anymore.

So Toad, hop on along...there's nothing for you here. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhm...awful display.

Please stop losing to the frigging celtics!!

Freaking MENTAL block man...so dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05