The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife said ,out of the blue, "I think I will become a Lakers' fan." (She wants to start watching the NBA, which she stopped watching when the Jordanaires broke up.)

Should I join her?

If your wife decided to go get a brazilian wax job while wearing 6 inch stilletto heals on national tv, are you gonna join her? Im in shock youve even decided to consider this much less not even trying to talk sense into her..

The lakers? lmao..

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor out there on Bynum is 4-8 weeks. No ligament damage or surgery needed.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy sent this to TrueHoop;

TrueHoop reader Anthony said:
"On Sunday morning I attended an invite-only event for Laker season ticket holders at Staples Center. Stu Lance (the Lakers announcer) was the MC and both Mitch Kupchak and Bill Bertka gave mini speeches to the crowd concerning the current status of the Lakers. During the talk, the Lakers came out for a shoot-around, and eventually the team held a mini-practice to prepare for the upcoming game. During this time, Stu and the Laker staff began raffling off prizes. Kobe Bryant was mysteriously absent from the initial session. Stu told the crowd Kobe was still recovering from a viral infection but would play in the night's game. Just before the players' session ended, Kobe came out of the locker room to a standing ovation. Kobe stayed on the court to take in some jumpers after Phil Jackson finished his speech to the team. At this point, Stu raffled off the final prize -- a basketball autographed by Kobe. Stu took the microphone to Kobe (who was in the middle of a shooting drill), Kobe then drew and announced the wining number. A lovely and exited woman arose from the crowd, ran down to the floor and gave Kobe a huge hug. As if that wasn't enough -- Kobe interrupted Stu's farewell speech to the crowd, unlaced his sneakers, borrowed a marker from the crowd, autographed his shoes and asked Stu to draw another ticket. I sat there with my mouth agape at what I was witnessing. This was not a stunt; this was not a pre-planned PR move. It was a genuine moment from a superstar -- giving back to the fans. Even Stu Lance was speechless. I was never more proud to be a Laker fan, and more importantly, a Kobe Bryant fan."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor out there on Bynum is 4-8 weeks. No ligament damage or surgery needed.

We shall see how bad this hurts you guys. Sad. You can now start to understand why they didn't want to include Bynum in the offseason trade scenerios.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch.

Bynum's agent says out for 2 months....subluxation of his left kneecap.

Hello low seed. :(

Mihm, VladRad and Bynum all out.

:barf:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll wager that Bynum is back closer to 4 weeks than 8.

I don't think so. I think he might be ready to test it...but they are going to be really safe with him.

Plus, he's going to have to get his edge back...it's hard to be as aggressive coming off a leg injury.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
This sucks so bad.. just like last year..

Lakers start off good, and then injuries kill the entire season. Other then Kobe, this is the guy they could least afford to lose. On top of it all, this happens right before the toughest stretch of the season for the Lakers.

The problem is, there is no depth there. Turiaf is a solid backup, but Brown is a joke and Chris Mihm needs to retire. I like Mihm when he plays, but the guy is never NOT injured. It's going to be a huge test for the Lakers to see if they can stay among the elite till Bynum gets back.

This just really sucks. :(

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, so it begins. Lakers need OT and damn near 50 from Kobe, plus a Kobe game winner in OT to beat the Sonics in Seattle 123-121.

Defense? Non-existant. This team THRIVES on defense and they just didn't play it.

Kobe hoisted 44 shots, and made 48% of them. That can NOT happen. It is so clear that Bynum is his number two, and not Lamar...Luke and Lamar combined for 4-21 shooting. Ugh.

Oh well, the streak goes to 7 (Suns will end that on Thursday, I'm guessing) and at this point, with Bynum out, any win is fantastic. Especially road wins in the conference.

I guess we can enjoy first place in the Pacific for a few nights, at least. :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On top of it all, this happens right before the toughest stretch of the season for the Lakers.

I think the first part of the season was FAR tougher.

We have four tough games upcoming...then we have a bunch of cake...yes, a LONG roadtrip, but most of it is cake.

The start of the season was tough...we played a hard, hard early schedule.

We'll make it out of this ok...lots of leaning on 24...but my main concern is that not only Andrew returns, but he returns in the same form he was when he left. I don't want him meek or worried about his knee. Just keep on dunking, young man!!!

Kwame could learn a thing or a thousand about dunking from Mr. Bynum.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I think the first part of the season was FAR tougher.

We have four tough games upcoming...then we have a bunch of cake...yes, a LONG roadtrip, but most of it is cake.

The start of the season was tough...we played a hard, hard early schedule.

We'll make it out of this ok...lots of leaning on 24...but my main concern is that not only Andrew returns, but he returns in the same form he was when he left. I don't want him meek or worried about his knee. Just keep on dunking, young man!!!

Kwame could learn a thing or a thousand about dunking from Mr. Bynum.

Yeah, overall I guess Panic Mode is a little premature, but this is a tough loss. I'm thinking the same thing you are, and hoping that when Bynum returns, he returns looking to dominate and not playing passively in fear of injury. If Kobe can put the team on his back and some other guys can step up, we should be ok for 8 weeks, it's just going to be tough. That long road trip makes me nervous, but the team does still have some talent to carry them.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald/Darth,

I made the point yesterday that I was happy the Lakers already had seven wins this month. They had 9 in November and 10 in December. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, overall I guess Panic Mode is a little premature, but this is a tough loss. I'm thinking the same thing you are, and hoping that when Bynum returns, he returns looking to dominate and not playing passively in fear of injury. If Kobe can put the team on his back and some other guys can step up, we should be ok for 8 weeks, it's just going to be tough. That long road trip makes me nervous, but the team does still have some talent to carry them.

IMO, it is up to the bench. Farmar needs to continue to be a monster spark off the bench (I think he might play himself into sixth man of the year contention by the end of the season) and Critt needs to continue to produce in his limited minutes...he had some KEY scores last night.

Getting VladRad and Mihm back soon won't hurt.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here were the standings and seedings before Bynum went down. It will be interesting to compare upon his return;

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Southwest Division
W L Pct GB
Dallas 26 11 .703 _
San Antonio 24 11 .686 1
New Orleans 25 12 .676 1
Houston 20 18 .526 6 1/2
Memphis 10 27 .270 16

Northwest Division
W L Pct GB
Denver 22 13 .629 _
Portland 22 14 .611 1/2
Utah 21 17 .553 2 1/2
Seattle 9 27 .250 13 1/2
Minnesota 5 31 .139 17 1/2

Pacific Division
W L Pct GB
Phoenix 26 11 .703 _
L.A. Lakers 25 11 .694 1/2
Golden State 22 16 .579 4 1/2
Sacramento 14 21 .400 11
L.A. Clippers 10 23 .303 14

I cant find standings before yesterday's games, but here are the current.

Western Conference
Team GB
1. * LA Lakers --
2. Phoenix --
3. * San Antonio 0.5
4. * Portland 3.0
5. Dallas 0.5
6. New Orleans 1.0
7. Denver 3.5
8. Golden State 4.5
9. Utah 5.0
10. Houston 6.5
11. Sacramento 10.5
12. LA Clippers 14.0
13. Memphis 16.0
14. Seattle 17.0
15. Minnesota 20.5

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without Bynum they've squeaked out two victories (I count the grizz game as without him because the game changed significantly when he went down).

That won't happen in the next 4 games. I hope to hell we go 2-2, but I'll even take 1-3. :(

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Lakers consider Chris Webber and P.J. Brown

The Lakers are sifting through the free-agent bin and coming up with such names as Chris Webber, P.J. Brown and DJ Mbenga. The Lakers were intrigued by Webber a year ago and have been in contact with his representatives. They think he fits the mold of a triangle-offense player -- good passer, good jump shot -- but are concerned about his physical condition. Webber, who will be 35 in March, has not played since last season. He averaged 11.2 points, 7.2 rebounds and 29.9 minutes in 61 games with Philadelphia and Detroit, but did not re-sign with the Pistons after their playoff run. He has been contacted by other unspecified teams and will make up his mind this week, his agent said. -- LA Times

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
this years laker team looks good so far. bynum seems to be progressing really nice and walton is looking even better. ugh...stupid lakers

lakers are gonna win the pacific with 55 wins :bang:

trade kobe please????

thanks alot bynum. there goes my prediction of the lakers taking the pacific.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Please god not Chris Webber.

I admit, a lot of my opinion is based on my extreme bias from the old Lakers vs. Kings rivalry, but I absolutely hate Chris Webber. I think he still has some talent, yes, but he's very injury prone and I would rather just keep going with what we have for 8 weeks then bring him in out of a perceived desperation.

I would rather see the minutes go to Kwame Brown.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is like a bad dream.. One I wake up from and see all of humanity is not some punk ass bleeding vaginas..

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please god not Chris Webber.

I admit, a lot of my opinion is based on my extreme bias from the old Lakers vs. Kings rivalry, but I absolutely hate Chris Webber. I think he still has some talent, yes, but he's very injury prone and I would rather just keep going with what we have for 8 weeks then bring him in out of a perceived desperation.

I would rather see the minutes go to Kwame Brown.

I dont like the idea of Webber. He was largely ineffective on the Sixers and Pistons last year, doesnt play much defense and is injury prone. If he plays for free, I'd take 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05