The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
if they win a championship i might do something crazy

Boy, that's the truth! After so many people threw dirt on Kobe and the Lakers the last three years, I'm gonna go freakin' nuts if this group wins a title together. I mean run-screaming-through-the-neighborhood nuts!

My wife and kids are going to think I finally lost my mind for real. :)

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3265115&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

THE LITTLE PEOPLE: CARLOS MAPLES, LAKERS ASSISTANT EQUIPMENT MANAGER
by Rick Cipes

You must be registered for see images attach

Jordan Farmar couldn't do his thing without Carlos Maples

Los Angeles Laker employee Carlos Maples has seen a lot in his 21 seasons with the team. Starting as a ball boy at the age of 13, Maples graduated to assistant equipment manager eleven years ago. And while he does deal with towels, don't you dare call him the towel boy.

NO RECYCLING:
CM: We go through at least 250 towels a game. We use a brand new towel for every player for every timeout. So if a towel touches a player's hand, that's it, it's done.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T:
CM: I have this thing with rookies, I feel it's my job to school them since I've been here so long: my locker room, my rules. Anything that needs to be done really quick, if my guys are busy, you ask a rookie to do it. Rookies, as Coach Phil likes to call them, are 'lower than pond scum.'

BEST TIP:
CM: It was about $300, from Horace Grant. Magic used to take care of me all the time. Kobe's very generous as well. They're very generous with giving us tickets. We used to get tickets all the time, but the times have changed. Dr. Buss was very generous with tickets for about eighteen years. But the last few years he hasn't been able to give us any.

WORST TIPPERS:
CM: Some guys just don't know. Over the years, times have changed. A lot of these guys have been pampered the whole way up. When I started, guys used to carry their own stuff. Nowadays, they don't carry anything. They can barely carry a basketball to the floor.

GRAB THOSE DIGITS!:
CM: Over the years, some visiting players wanted my guys to go into the stands for a number or two. Our players are used to seeing beautiful women, so we don't get requests like that from them. Plus, most of them have girlfriends who are watching their every move from the stands.

FUNNY MAN:
CM: The funniest guy this season is Ronny Turiaf. He just brings life to the room. When we wore the short shorts in Boston, he came in and looked at the shorts and pulled them up to his waist and said, 'Are you serious?' Then he proceeded to pull them way up, like a nerd would. I was crying. But Shaq is by far the biggest jokester in the history of the Lakers. He's wrestled with the ball boys, and he threw me in a laundry basket for talking back.

THE BIG OOPS:
CM: One day I was really ill. I had food poisoning. And I came in in the morning, and tried to get the locker room all set up. That night, I'm at home sick, and, on the air, Stu Lantz says: 'We'd like to wish Carlos a get well soon. And, by the way, Carlos, Shaq doesn't have two left feet.' I had left him two left shoes by mistake.

CHAMPIONSHIP ATTACK:
CM: I just gotta make sure the guys have everything they need. And, I always tell everybody, we're partially like a shrink, because you have to be there when times are good and when times are bad. You are pretty much part of the team, whether or not people like to think of us like that or not.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Wow.. Jordan Farmar is saving our asses against the Blazers so far. Blazers seemed to have this one rolling, up by 15 but the Lakers are back in it.

This game is gonna be a tough one.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Damn.. 7 point half time deficit, but it's worse then that. We're getting beaten in every facet of the game, worst rebounding I have seen from LA this year. If they don't make some adjustments for the 2nd half, no way we're gonna win it.

Still, I think we'll get it in the 2nd half, come on Lakers!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they look really flat. LO in foul trouble early on.

That possesion where they had 5 second chances and drilled the three at the end really pissed me off.

Here's to a MUCH better second half.

We need some more runs.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Yeah, they look really flat. LO in foul trouble early on.

That possesion where they had 5 second chances and drilled the three at the end really pissed me off.

Here's to a MUCH better second half.

We need some more runs.

Sick block by Turiaf though, that one got me up outta my seat.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does Luke Walton suck more than a ***** in port during shore leave? A guy with that high of a basketball IQ should NOT do the stuff he does.

Oh, and nice charge to open the 3rd Quarter, LO. Grab some bench. He might crack double digit minutes tonight.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does Luke Walton suck more than a ***** in port during shore leave? A guy with that high of a basketball IQ should NOT do the stuff he does.

Oh, and nice charge to open the 3rd Quarter, LO. Grab some bench. He might crack double digit minutes tonight.
How long has Bill's kid been in the league? Seems long enough to learn what not to do.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
How long has Bill's kid been in the league? Seems long enough to learn what not to do.

I'm one of the few people that still thinks the kid is a good player. He's having a hard year for whatever reason, and seems to be having a problem finding his niche. The kid has a good head for the game, and I still think he's a fantastic passer. He just needs to find a way to fit with the current team. Hopefully he can, I like Luke a lot.

Tonight was a close one, I'm a little surprised we won by the score we did. I'm not really looking forward to playing Portland 3 more times before the end of the season. They're a pretty good team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers came out VERY flat and played flat until the 4th, when they really turned it on.

Good to know they can do that...bad to know they know they can do that.

Kobe was really excited about the team coming back for that win though...he was hooting and hollering all over the place.

Jordan was HUGE...great game. Sasha is a gunner and even though he was off, I love him and he made some BIGTIME baskets...most of his shots put us ahead or extended a close lead. Lamar was a giant in the fourth quarter.

No balls bounced our way all game, and I mean NO balls...we'd hustle and it would go out of bounds or tip to the Blazers...then in the fourth, they started breaking our way and it was over.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I hope they continue to shoot 36% each time we play them. :D

Yeah, in hindsight, the problem was more how poorly the Lakers played for 3 quarters as opposed to how well the Blazers played. The Lakers struggled so much, it really made the Blazers look like they were playing a great game, but in reality, they were just playing "who sucks less" for 3 quarters. :lol:

The Lakers have been playing at a high level for an extended period of time, it's not unusual for them to have a game where they come out flat. For them to do that and still win is encouraging. Hopefully though, they got it out of their system, cause parts of that game were just painful to watch.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aldridge is a monster and the Lakers and Blazers are going to have some legendary battles in the near future.

I was thinking Outlaw was doing a good job of contesting Kobe's shots until I realized KB had 30. ;)

Sasha shoots his eight three like it is his first three. ;) Keep on gunnin'!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WWWWWWWWW

Man, 9 W's in a row does look nice. :D
Just as I was finishing up reading Donald's post above yours, I was thinking, "How many wins in a row is that now for the Lakers???"

:)

You guys are going to be tough. Methinks you have a bright postseason ahead of you.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously.. how is it that Kobe has never won MVP? It just doesn't seem possible. If he doesn't win it this year, I'm gonna be seriously pissed.

No one else is even close to Kobe in that race.

You'd be silly to not include Chris Paul. It is a two man race this year for MVP.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had forgotten about him when I typed that, he has a legit case no doubt. CP is a great player, I like him a lot, but still for this year, Kobe has my vote.

It's ok. I always seem to be a week late and a dollar short to most debates.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was good. He has a good stroke.