The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add dwyayayayne to the growing Sasha "fan club" that has Mike Bibby, AI, JJ Reddick, Carmella Anthony and many more in it. He pisses people off, gets under their skin and frustrates them into fouls and techs. I LOVE it...and if he were on the other team I'd freaking hate him for it. :D

Did you notice Sahsa went over by himself to the Heat bench after the final horn? I saw him motion to Wade, maybe for a "no hard feelings" or something. I didnt see it written about anywhere.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now.. a rant:

I don't know why people always say there are a lot of Laker fans in Phoenix. It's a load of crap. In 18 years living in Arizona, I don't know another Laker fan. All the crappy radio "personalities" here bash Laker fans and talk about how stupid we are and how none of us know anything about basketball. Everyone on the Sports Radio station (KTAR) is a ******** that knows nothing outside the realm of their own homeristic tendencies toward the all mighty Suns. The funny thing is, the Arizona Cardinals get the exact opposite treatment even though they are a home town team as well.

Most people in Phoenix aren't smart enough to realize that Phoenix is mostly made up of people from other places, hence there will be people here that like other teams. It can be frustrating though, living here and having to hear all the time that you're an idiot because you like the Lakers. I honestly think at this point that Suns fans are dropping below Cowboy and Bears fans on my list of most classless fans in the world. On that note..

Go Lakers!

There are 5 of them that live in the immediate area around me in my apartment complex alone. They are around.

Now your second paragraph I agree with. We are a city of transplants. We won't get our roots without at least a championship and/or 20 more years so people can grow up liking the teams.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald's dream lineup below is BY FAR my favorite right now;

PG Farmar
SG Sasha
SF Bean
PF Lamar
C Gasol

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
There are 5 of them that live in the immediate area around me in my apartment complex alone. They are around.

Now your second paragraph I agree with. We are a city of transplants. We won't get our roots without at least a championship and/or 20 more years so people can grow up liking the teams.

I really should just suck it up. I work overnights, and I made the mistake of listening to Doug and Wolf on the radio on my way home, and they just pissed me off. All they talk about is how stupid Laker fans are, then they themselves make comments that show they are better off discussing football, since they know little to nothing about basketball. I just get frustrated because I'm always hearing how there are so many Laker fans in AZ but I never seem to see any of them. When I go to a Laker vs. Suns game, I see a lot of people wearing Laker jerseys, but only if we're having a good year cause they're bandwagon tools.

At least most of the Suns fans I know face to face are good people that show some class. I was just in a foul mood that morning cause I hear it on this forum, then drive home and hear 20 minutes of how I'm a moron cause I like the Lakers. :lol:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really should just suck it up. I work overnights, and I made the mistake of listening to Doug and Wolf on the radio on my way home, and they just pissed me off. All they talk about is how stupid Laker fans are, then they themselves make comments that show they are better off discussing football, since they know little to nothing about basketball. I just get frustrated because I'm always hearing how there are so many Laker fans in AZ but I never seem to see any of them. When I go to a Laker vs. Suns game, I see a lot of people wearing Laker jerseys, but only if we're having a good year cause they're bandwagon tools.

At least most of the Suns fans I know face to face are good people that show some class. I was just in a foul mood that morning cause I hear it on this forum, then drive home and hear 20 minutes of how I'm a moron cause I like the Lakers. :lol:

Doug and Wolf/Gambo and Ash will do that to you. Just going into the Suns forum can have the same effect.

No worries.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald's dream lineup below is BY FAR my favorite right now;

PG Farmar
SG Sasha
SF Bean
PF Lamar
C Gasol

Bean? As in jellybean sandwich? You can't be talking about NOT having Kobe in there right?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed. It wouldnt be a world-killer playing 40 minutes a game, but it comes in and rocks the opp.

It is as strong or stronger than the starting unit right now, IMO. Fish is in a bit of a slump and Farmar has had b2b 21 and 24 point nights. Sasha brings as much to the table that Luke does, and then some.

It's a testament to the depth of the team to have a second group with two bench guys in that is arguably better than the starting five.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonights game worries me on the b2b. Lakers can't come out flat like they did at home, coast for 3 quarters then take a 13 point win. Not in the Rose Garden...that place is Laker kryptonite. I don't think we've had a win there in 5 years or something dumb, the last time being the last game of the regular season in 2004 when Kobe made those ridiculous threes to send it to OT and then another to win it in OT.

There is also this:

Lakers have usually struggled in Portland, losing 25 of 33 there since January 1992.

A win to keep the streak alive would be great, with a big game on the horizon vs. Dallas. Winning in Portland would be nice as well. Hopefully Phil uses the ddogg lineup early in the game to counter their athleticism.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, I'm more than a bit pissed off that reporters and announcers (reggie last night) keep saying that Sasha "gave himself" the nickname "The Machine." That name came directly from Joel & Stu earlier in the season, jokingly at first and then it stuck to the point that is all they call him practically.

Finally, someone actually asked Sasha about it...Pincus from LG:

- A reader asked me to clarify where Sasha Vujacic's "Machine" nickname came from. He said he is familiar with it and is just getting used to people on the street calling it out to him. He did admit to liking it - and that he believes it comes from the Laker broadcast from Joel Meyers and Stu Lantz.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Blogs/CourtsideBlog.asp?GAME_ID=21936&LEAGUE_CODE=NBA

From after the Clippers game...

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonights game worries me on the b2b. Lakers can't come out flat like they did at home, coast for 3 quarters then take a 13 point win. Not in the Rose Garden...that place is Laker kryptonite. I don't think we've had a win there in 5 years or something dumb, the last time being the last game of the regular season in 2004 when Kobe made those ridiculous threes to send it to OT and then another to win it in OT.

There is also this:

A win to keep the streak alive would be great, with a big game on the horizon vs. Dallas. Winning in Portland would be nice as well. Hopefully Phil uses the ddogg lineup early in the game to counter their athleticism.

I was just reviewing the pre-game release and was feeling the same way. The Lakers have lost their last four in POR.

The b2b and playing them a week ago scare me.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys are reading Dancing Barry's game recaps on LG (you should be) but his comment on Sasha was awesome:

How sweet is it when Sasha not only pulls off his Crossover of Death against DWade, but he also gets under his skin and forces one of those Rage Against the Machine fouls from Wade? Sasha don't you know he's a superstar? You can't do that to him. Classic.

:biglaugh:

Rage Against the Machine fouls...that is GREAT!! Carmello choked him when he went RATM. Wade just shoved him.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Portland is officially the team I fear most. If they creep into the 8th seed and we hold #1 we could have a serious problem. I would rather play just about any other team in the NBA in the playoffs. I don't like the way they match up against the Lakers.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is also this:
Lakers have usually struggled in Portland, losing 25 of 33 there since January 1992.

can't say I'm surprised.

Pretty much have to put this game on Fisher...wtf was he DOING out there? Steve Blake was wide open all night long...just dumb. Sasha and Farmar were both off as well, and that didn't help, but Fisher let Mr. Mo live with the Blazers by letting Blake shoot anywhere he chose.

Our three point shooting tonight was horrendous.

Oh well, maybe this will help us come out pissed off vs. Dallas.

I agree with you Darth...Portland is exactly the kind of team I don't want to have to face in the playoffs...not only do we have to play in the Rose Garden, but their athleticism and good shooting is a great matchup against our team. Phil doesn't really have a gameplan against them yet, and it shows.

I'm ok with the loss, and being so close late in the game given the other factors of horrible shooting, poor defense (fisher) and the b2b night in a building we rarely win in. Not happy with it, but not really upset.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Oh I agree totally. It's the first game we have lost in 11 attempts, I'm not exactly angry, I just don't like a potential match up with Portland. I still think we could win the series because we would have home court, but it would be a tough one. My hat is off to Portland, they outplayed the Lakers tonight, and they deserved that win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05