The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
singlehandedly LOL.. if gasol wasn't on the team you all wouldn't even have made the playoffs..

your view of kobe is so misconstrued its pathetic..

The Lakers were first in the West when Bynum went down. FYI, that was BEFORE the Gasol trade.

Please, just stop embarrassing yourself.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya they def got better only because they learned from KOBE and not because they were all rooks and rooks develop.. oh ya i forgot they actually practice too that might be way they are getting better.. oh crap i forgot there is a coaching staff too.. dang didn't think they had anything to do with it.. it was def all KOBE..

Ask Jordan Farmar about his improvement.

singlehandedly LOL.. if gasol wasn't on the team you all wouldn't even have made the playoffs..

True, that was possible...only because Bynum went down though. Before his injury, the Lakers were in 1st place. Gasol only allowed them to continue winning as they had before.

Potkettleblack.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
ya they def got better only because they learned from KOBE and not because they were all rooks and rooks develop.. oh ya i forgot they actually practice too that might be way they are getting better.. oh crap i forgot there is a coaching staff too.. dang didn't think they had anything to do with it.. it was def all KOBE..

Again, you opt to insult me even when I'm not addressing you. Fine though, I'll go ahead and briefly clarify for you.

All teams have coaches, all teams have rookies, all teams have players that need to develop. Some make it, some don't, those are the facts. Having a veteran player on your team to take people by the hand and teach them the "do's and do not's" of the game is a resource that all coaches agree is a must. This is why you see teams signing veteran players on the last years of their contracts, to mentor the younger guys and give them the intangibles that coaching and conditioning alone cannot teach. It's the influence guys like Shaq have on guys like Amare, and like Steve Nash could have on a young point guard if the Suns had one.

If you listen to interviews with members of the Lakers, which I know you don't, even the veteran guys credit Kobe for where they are today. Lamar Odom has been in this league a long time, and when asked after his outburst against Dallas where he learned that killer instict you know what he said? He didn't say Phil, he didn't say Gary Viti, or anyone else. He said he learned it from Kobe Bryant. Kobe's team mates have stressed all year how much Kobe has helped them, and how much extra time Kobe has spent helping them. Does he deserve all the credit alone? No. Some is coaching, experience and god given talent. But you're on another planet if you don't recognize the value that influence from an experienced and respected player has on young talent.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
FWIW, I am soooo not a Kobe fan... However, how anyone can dismiss his talents and abilities is beyond me...
I don't believe he should be the MVP this year as Paul is simply a slam dunk (no pun...) given the year he's had and what he himself has meant to that team...
However, Kobe absolutely deserves to be in the debate - and I hate the guy...

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
lol @ you throwing 'insult' out there in an attempt to get me banned..

i def did not insult you and i def didn't waste my time reading whatever you wrote.. but let me guess? 'KOBE MAKES HIS PLAYERS BETTER CAUSE EVERYONE SAYS SO BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH'

If you're not going to read my reply and engage me in civil conversation, then please don't reply to any of my posts. If you continue to do so for purely instagatory purposes, I'll report your attempts and inciting conflict to the moderation of this site. I'm here to discuss issues, if you have no interest in reading my reply, then please don't address me in the future. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon Mods. I've got banned for less in the Suns forum for the crap Phade is spewing.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, WaywardFan has made one post in the last 3 years, and the only other mod of this forum is Assface.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Thank you to the Mod that issued the ban. It's nice to have our thread back.

Now, back on topic..

You guys think Bynum is out till game 1 of the playoffs? It's looking that way. I just hope he's ready to go for the first round. If we pull an elite team, we are gonna need him.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, back on topic..

You guys think Bynum is out till game 1 of the playoffs? It's looking that way. I just hope he's ready to go for the first round. If we pull an elite team, we are gonna need him.

Game 1 isnt too far away, so that doesnt freak me out.

If April LO plays like March LO, we are in great shape.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amen!

Odom has been a beast lately.

Hard to dethrone March POTM, Chris Paul,
NBA.com said:
Paul led the Hornets to an 11-4 mark, averaging 24.0 points, 13.3 assists and 2.67 steals. Paul collected at least 10 assists in 12 of the Hornets’ 15 games and tallied 199 assists in March.

But check out LO in March;

Code:
SPLIT		G	GS	MPG	FG%	3P%	FT%	OFF	DEF	REB	APG	SPG	BPG	PPG	

In November	12	12	34.8	.487	.190	.712	1.7	5.2	6.8	1.6	0.8	0.5	12.6	
In January	13	13	38.1	.409	.136	.792	2.9	7.8	10.7	4.1	0.7	0.9	11.5	
In December	14	14	37.4	.489	.313	.630	1.8	8.9	10.6	3.0	1.0	0.7	15.4	
In February	15	15	37.6	.623	.533	.667	2.7	8.9	11.6	4.5	0.8	0.8	14.5	
[B]In March	15	15	41.4	.552	.300	.642	3.7	9.0	12.7	4.2	1.4	1.7	15.4	[/B]
In April	3	3	40.3	.735	.000	.750	2.7	5.7	8.3	4.3	1.3	2.0	19.7

April looks good so far. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon Mods. I've got banned for less in the Suns forum for the crap Phade is spewing.

Eh, this is the smack shack. Besides, we wouldn't know what a foolish leper he was if he hadn't put finger to keyboard and posted the contents of his empty head.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you to the Mod that issued the ban. It's nice to have our thread back.

Now, back on topic..

They said during the Sacramento game that he could play the final two games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i didn't even waste my time reading your rabble but i have one thing to say.. move on junior and shut your f..n pie hole..

such an angry young man. no wonder he cries so much.

that being said, whoever's team ends up with the number 1 seed in the West deserves the MVP, plain and simple. Paul's turned a bunch of never-will-be's or has-beens into the top team in the league and Kobe's been great with a lot of talent, although playing with two different teams due to injury. Only way I see a difference between the two is in what they're team has acheived in the regular season. That's the tie-breaker. Lakes get the 1 seed, Kobe gets it. NO gets the 1 seed, Paul gets it IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid of the same thing. It's a shame really, cause no one deserves it more then Kobe.

you don't think Chris Paul deserves it just as much? I'd say the two are neck and neck, but to be completely honest, I'd say Kupchak (I can't believe I'm about to write this after all the trash I've talked about him in the past) is the MVP of the Lakers this year more than anyone. Without fleecing Memphis, you guys probably don't even make the playoffs this year after the Bynum injury.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
you don't think Chris Paul deserves it just as much? I'd say the two are neck and neck, but to be completely honest, I'd say Kupchak (I can't believe I'm about to write this after all the trash I've talked about him in the past) is the MVP of the Lakers this year more than anyone. Without fleecing Memphis, you guys probably don't even make the playoffs this year after the Bynum injury.

I think Kobe is a little ahead yes. I feel that way, because despite the obvious improvment in New Orleans, few teams in the league have faced the advirsity this year that the Lakers faced. Their young center finally emerges, the team is playing well, and down he goes. When you look at the list of injuries the Lakers have had this year, it's absolutely astounding to think that despite that, they might still win the pacific. Bynum, Ariza, Gasol, Mihm, and Kobe himself. Kobe needs surgery, but he's still out there every game playing his heart out, and despite everything that's happened, the Lakers have somehow held that lead. That's leadership, that's MVP quality, and that's impressive.

While CP3 is a GREAT player, and deserving in his own right, no one has done as much to keep their team in it as Kobe Bryant. No one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kobe is a little ahead yes. I feel that way, because despite the obvious improvment in New Orleans, few teams in the league have faced the advirsity this year that the Lakers faced. Their young center finally emerges, the team is playing well, and down he goes.

and so did the Lakers until getting gifted Pau, which brought them back up.

When you look at the list of injuries the Lakers have had this year, it's absolutely astounding to think that despite that, they might still win the pacific. Bynum, Ariza, Gasol, Mihm, and Kobe himself. Kobe needs surgery, but he's still out there every game playing his heart out, and despite everything that's happened, the Lakers have somehow held that lead. That's leadership, that's MVP quality, and that's impressive.

yup, it is impressive, which is why I think it's a toss up between the two. However, along with the adversity, you were also gifted with Pau, no? That kind of hedges the "adversity" IMO. Especially considering that when Pau went out, they started fading again. Besides, it's not like Kobe's the only one who's had to deal with adversity. You can't take away the fact that David West missed 7 games this season, Peja missed 7 games, and they had no bench whatsoever for the first half of the year, not to mention Byron Scott ain't exactly Phil Jackson now is he, or that they have the worst home-court in the league and missed the playoffs last year.

While CP3 is a GREAT player, and deserving in his own right, no one has done as much to keep their team in it as Kobe Bryant. No one.

Do you think Kobe deserved the MVP two years ago?

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
yup, it is impressive, which is why I think it's a toss up between the two. However, along with the adversity, you were also gifted with Pau, no? That kind of hedges the "adversity" IMO. Especially considering that when Pau went out, they started fading again. Besides, it's not like Kobe's the only one who's had to deal with adversity. You can't take away the fact that David West missed 7 games this season, Peja missed 7 games, and they had no bench whatsoever for the first half of the year, not to mention Byron Scott ain't exactly Phil Jackson now is he, or that they have the worst home-court in the league and missed the playoffs last year.

Noted, but having a couple guys miss 7 games hardly compares to the injury problems the Lakers have had. They have had guys miss week or 2, we're having key guys go down for months at a time. Big difference.

Do you thilnk Kobe deserved the MVP two years ago?

Yes I do.

I respect your opinion, and I respect CP3 very much. I just think Kobe has a bit of an edge based on what he has had to mean to his team. You can talk about Gasol all you want, but they lost their #2 before they got Gasol. If you took away the Hornets second best player as well as one of their 2 best perimeter defenders for the bulk of the season, they wouldn't be in first place either. The fact that the Lakers made moves to keep themselves competitive and get Kobe some help doesn't diminish his case as the teams MVP in my opinion. No one can do it all alone, ask LeBron.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
You would cry?

Mister tough guy, threatening a woman. Congrats on being a huge ass.
Man, things have gotten heated since last time I visited. In any case, is Linderbee the same Linda from the AZ Cards board? I was just wondering....

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you think Kobe deserved the MVP two years ago?

Yes I do.

When you look at the list of injuries the Suns had that year, it's absolutely astounding to think that despite that, they still won the pacific and got the number 2 seed. With Amare (ALL-NBA out for the entire year) and Kurt Thomas (for half the year) and with only 3/5s of an entire starting lineup, with a bad back, Nash was still out still out there every game playing his heart out, and despite everything that happened, the Suns somehow held that lead and had the fourth best record in the league. That's leadership, that's MVP quality, and that's impressive... sound familiar?

But yet, according to you Kobe STILL deserved the MVP over him? Sorry man, but that goes completely against every reason you gave for Kobe to win it this year.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shocker. Lakers still can't win in the Rose Garden.

Man, thank God the Blazers aren't in the post season this year. They are to us as Golden State was to Dallas.