The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumors abound that Drew might not be back for another few weeks.

At this point, we roll with what we got. Hopefully we don't need him until the WCF if we make it that far.

:shrug:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean Bynum? Personally, I can't wait to get him back. I think the transition will be smooth.

Bynum has been in the triangle for three years and Pau has fit in seamlessly. I heard Fish on The Herd the other day and he said that they have been working on having Pau at forward in practice in anticipation of getting Bynum back.

No worries here. :)

Yeah, Bynum. My bad...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bynum's the Lakers version of Kurt Thomas for the Suns two years ago. They lost Bynum (we lost KT), things looked shaky, picked up Pau for nothing (we pick up Tim Thomas for nothing) he fits like a glove (like TT) and things look better. Meanwhile, the season winds down, Laker fans realize they've become pretty weak defensively, praying for Bynum's return (much like the Suns and KT) while Bynum's timetable constantly gets pushed back (much like KT). Laker fans hope he'll be ready for the WCF... similarities are erie.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Bynum's the Lakers version of Kurt Thomas for the Suns two years ago. They lost Bynum (we lost KT), things looked shaky, picked up Pau for nothing (we pick up Tim Thomas for nothing) he fits like a glove (like TT) and things look better. Meanwhile, the season winds down, Laker fans realize they've become pretty weak defensively, praying for Bynum's return (much like the Suns and KT) while Bynum's timetable constantly gets pushed back (much like KT). Laker fans hope he'll be ready for the WCF... similarities are erie.
Except that the Suns were also missing Amare. Take away the next best player for the Lakers after Kobe, whoever that is, and I don't think the situations are very similar anymore.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that the Suns were also missing Amare. Take away the next best player for the Lakers after Kobe, whoever that is, and I don't think the situations are very similar anymore.

huh? we didn't have amare all season so who cares? Not saying anything else except noticing that the Lakers fans waiting on Bynum reminds me of us waiting for KT to come back... as in... it likely ain't happening.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh how weird. Kobe was just part of some weird lip sync montoge of the Monkee's I'm a Believer on American Idol.

Just....uhm...odd.

My daughter ate it the ef up though.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I still think Bynum is only really needed against the Suns, or the Spurs. Without Bynum, we really don't have any answer for Shaq/Amare. I realize we beat them once with Shaq and no Bynum, but one game doesn't make a series.

The report is that Bynum didn't have a set back, they're just still not comfortable putting him on the court. Phil is still saying there is a chance he could play Sunday vs. the Spurs, but I'm not counting on that. If we draw Dallas in the 1st round, I wouldn't even risk Bynum, I would save him for round 2. I agree with the general sentiment that we don't need any real significant time to re-integrate Bynum. He'll fit right in IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Bynum is only really needed against the Suns, or the Spurs. Without Bynum, we really don't have any answer for Shaq/Amare. I realize we beat them once with Shaq and no Bynum, but one game doesn't make a series.

agreed.

The report is that Bynum didn't have a set back, they're just still not comfortable putting him on the court. Phil is still saying there is a chance he could play Sunday vs. the Spurs, but I'm not counting on that.

I don't think that's totally. Each article I keep reading says he did say this about the SA game, but he said this on Tuesday, two days before today when news has broken that he still hasn't been cleared to even practice.

If we draw Dallas in the 1st round, I wouldn't even risk Bynum, I would save him for round 2. I agree with the general sentiment that we don't need any real significant time to re-integrate Bynum. He'll fit right in IMO.

You think you'll be able to integrate him right in? How much? As a starter? As a bench player? If you're saying as a starter, I think that's pretty naive, otherwise, he could be a solid role player. I actually think the bigger concern for Laker fans though lies more with him getting into game-shape and a rhythm after being gone for 3-4 months.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
two days before today when news has broken that he still hasn't been cleared to even practice.

He's "practicing" but not full practice. He's doing a lot of one on one with Mihm and Rambis and Kareem. Running and dunking, but not full contact practice with the full team yet.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to see the big guns get some rest with the blowout of the clips.

No Kobe in the 4th.

Big game with the Nooch. We should win this game...it's a big one though. I'd love to win out, but feel we'll drop the Spurs game, even if Manu isn't playing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. Running and dunking, but not full contact practice with the full team yet.

that's "practicing". Not playing one on one against geriatrics and NBA's version of quadrapolegics (Mihm). Take it from a fan of a team who's seemingly always waiting on guys to come back from injury, if you're not cleared to practice, you're not close to playing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expected to play in the first round, possibly might see some action in the last game of the season.

d-dog, where the hell do you get your information? I live in LA, listen to sports radio all the time and pretty much read every paper and Ariza's even further away from hitting the court than Bynum is.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
d-dog, where the hell do you get your information? I live in LA, listen to sports radio all the time and pretty much read every paper and Ariza's even further away from hitting the court than Bynum is.

He's got "diagnostic tests" tomorrow and if its clean, he will start practicing. He is feeling good. :shrug:

Heard on TV and saw on LA Times blog and also Hoopsworld.

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score

It was all said during the game tonight vs. the Clips on TNT.

I read a report from a Lakers Reporters Blog in the LA times, I can't recall his name, I'm sorry, but he did say Bynum was doing well, but still isn't cleared to play. That doesn't necessarily mean he's not doing well though.

As for your question of integration, I fail to understand why anyone thinks re-integrating Bynum will be difficult. I'm not going to get into the debate again because it's just silly, you can say I'm naive all you want, but the notion that Bynum will come back and be totally lost is just silly. I can see questioning his effectiveness after such a serious injury, but Bynum is very familiar with the system, and Pau Gasol has picked it up quite well also. There is no logical reason at all that Bynum would struggle to grasp the offense or defense. It's the same line up as when he went out, just now he will have a PF that can actually score. I don't know if he'll be effective right away because he might be tentative, but the only people that think he'll be lost are fans of other teams that are doing nothing but kidding themselves. If he were 100% healthy, he could be put back in as a starter today and play great with the other 4. Absolutely no doubt at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was all said during the game tonight vs. the Clips on TNT.

I read a report from a Lakers Reporters Blog in the LA times, I can't recall his name, I'm sorry, but he did say Bynum was doing well, but still isn't cleared to play. That doesn't necessarily mean he's not doing well though.

As for your question of integration, I fail to understand why anyone thinks re-integrating Bynum will be difficult. I'm not going to get into the debate again because it's just silly, you can say I'm naive all you want, but the notion that Bynum will come back and be totally lost is just silly.

and that's where the conversation ends. The above crap is why I left this board for a long time. No where did I say Bynum would be "totally lost". Changing my argument to strengthen yours makes it apparent you don't want to address the point being made and to be honest, I don't want to waste my time with that kind of stupidity. I'll just say this, expecting a young kid who's never gotten major burn in the playoffs to come into the toughest western conference ever and be ready the second he steps on the court physically or mentally after being out for three and half months is asking for a lot and goes against pretty much any kind of rehab for any sport. No one comes back from serious injuries (much less knee injuries) and is ready to play really well, no matter what the sport is.

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
and that's where the conversation ends. The above crap is why I left this board for a long time. No where did I say Bynum would be "totally lost". Changing my argument to strengthen yours makes it apparent you don't want to address the point being made and to be honest, I don't want to waste my time with that kind of stupidity. I'll just say this, expecting a young kid who's never gotten major burn in the playoffs to come into the toughest western conference ever and be ready the second he steps on the court physically or mentally after being out for three and half months is asking for a lot and goes against pretty much any kind of rehab for any sport. No one comes back from serious injuries (much less knee injuries) and is ready to play really well, no matter what the sport is.

I have absolutely zero idea what you're getting so offended about. I said nothing to you that was designed to provoke you, I was just answering your post. I have never had an issue with you, I'm not sure why you are apparently angry, but I assure you it's a misunderstanding.

I agree with you on Bynum's physical conditioning, but I give his grasp of our system a little more credit. He's been in this system for 3 years, if anyone has to learn it, it's Gasol, not Bynum. That's just my opinion, if you find it offensive, I'll gladly drop it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh how weird. Kobe was just part of some weird lip sync montoge of the Monkee's I'm a Believer on American Idol.

Just....uhm...odd.

My daughter ate it the ef up though.

Youtube?

It was live, or a video montage? That's weird. I still want to see it though.

Odom? I think I get to use Odom correctly here. I would have said Kwame, but you know.....

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
By the way, anyone else catch the video of Kobe jumping over the car?

While it was cool and all, I have to imagine the Lakers front office is pretty pissed off. If I was Jerry Buss and saw my $12mil+ Per Year super star taking such stupid risks, I would be pissed.

Kobe jumps a half second later and his career and possibly his life are over. Impressive to watch, but stupid IMO.