The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweep is niiice.

I'm even happy that they had trouble closing the game out...lets them understand just how tough it is to close a team out. They had owned these guys all YEAR...but a close out game is a close out game...nobody dies easy. They better learn from that.

So far, they've done what I expected, and just a tad more. I thought this series would go 5...so thank you Lakers for the sweep.

LOL at Lil' Wheats. He hit a monster three late too.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACOOOOOSSS!! Got a huge dunk.

Ariza says he'll be playing ball next week. Saw him bouncing around on the bench too. We can use his defense, man.

Go Lakers!!

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two more things we never have to hear again: Pau has never won a playoff series and Kobe has never won a playoff series w/out Shaq.

:thumbup:
Kobe has never won a playoff series without Gasol or Shaq. :p

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Tight one, but man.. they got it. I'm glad too, because if I had to watch another game with that whiny little bitch Alan Iverson, I was going to put a fist through my TV. That little ***** cried on every single possession, every trip down the floor. What a little baby. The Nuggets just had their hearts ripped out, and it showed. Kobe is a cold blooded assassin, and Denver didn't have the heart to get over the hump and prolong their season.

I hope Ariza can play round 2, cause man we could use his defense, that would be a huge boost for us. Doesn't matter who we face round 2, we'll be rested and ready. Pau has the monkey off his back baby...

With Memphis 0-12

With LA 4-0 and counting.

A big "up yours" to all the haters that posted how soft Pau is in the post season and how he would evaporate when it counted. Absolutely ridiculous thing to say and Pau proved it.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playoffs? Man, we talkin' 'bout playoffs. I don't need playoffs. We talkin' 'bout playoffs.

You must be registered for see images

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Playoffs? Man, we talkin' 'bout playoffs. I don't need playoffs. We talkin' 'bout playoffs.

You must be registered for see images

:biglaugh:

Nice!!

Check out this bit from the ESPN Recap..

"After missing two dozen shots in the paint in their 102-84 loss in Game 3, the Nuggets ditched their off-day practice and watched 10 minutes of film and listened to motivational speeches from their coaches while the Lakers went through a 90-minute workout."
You're down 3-0, you have been taken to the woodshed all 3 times, your season hangs on one game at home.. and you skip practice? Looks like Iverson has really rubbed off on the Nuggets. What's funny is, they had their best game of the season, maybe if they practiced a bit they might have actually won a game.

Enjoy your summer ass clowns.

Source for Quote.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I would make that my avatar if not for the fact that I would have to shrink it so small you couldn't see it.

That's friggin AWESOME! I love the 'Gone Quittin' shirt.. classic! :biglaugh:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go Houston! It'd be nice to see Utah get strung out for a few more games. :) The series is 3-1 Utah and they play in HOU tonight .

The first round doesnt end until this coming Sunday, so who knows when the Lakers play again.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this in an SI Vault (Google it. Seriously) in a 1997 story about NVE;

SI said:
Is all that trouble worth it, particularly since Lakers rookie guard Kobe Bryant, who has all the makings of a star, was for a time being groomed at the point? (Bryant's scoring potential has made L.A.'s front office rethink that plan, and he may wind up as a 2 guard.)

In Game 5 against Utah, in which Van Exel had 26 points, the final attempt to win in regulation was entrusted to Bryant, much to Van Exel's consternation. Bryant shot an air ball—and then heaved three more in overtime. Harris said his reasons for going with Bryant were threefold: He worried that, if fouled, Van Exel wouldn't get a call from the officials (his three-point shot at the buzzer in Game 2 was blocked by Jazz forward Karl Malone, who appeared to foul him on the play, but there was no whistle); Van Exel was limping from an injury to the ball of his left foot, suffered earlier in the game; and Bryant was begging for the chance to hit the jumper. "Kobe looked at me in the huddle and said, 'Coach, if you give me that ball, I'll drain it for you,' " Harris said. "I believed him. I'd go to Kobe again if we played the game over. He is the best one-on-one player we have. The team knows it."

Harris said that in their meeting last Thursday even Van Exel acknowledged that Bryant had been the proper choice. "You know," Harris said, "Nick's not a bad kid."

At least not in the off-season.

I never knew/forgotten that KB was bring groomed to be a potential PG. The airballs are well documented.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this in an SI Vault (Google it. Seriously) in a 1997 story about NVE;

I never knew/forgotten that KB was bring groomed to be a potential PG. The airballs are well documented.
Leave it to Dell Harris to groom him as a PG to NVE.

I remember those airballs. Was living in LA at the time.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone please point out where it is stated that Sasha did NOT nickname himself "The Machine"?

Even the wikipedia entry says he started it with Joel and Stu following.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TRIED TO get to the bottom of who came up with the nickname Machine for the Lakers' Sasha Vujacic.

Checked with Lakers TV guy, Joel Meyers, who did a lot of hemming and hawing, well, more than usual. He said both he and his partner Stu Lantz came up with it together. Never took them for Siamese twins before.

Apparently, neither did Lantz. "I came up with it," Lantz said. "And then Joel ran with it. I used it once, and never again."

As for Vujacic, he said Machine is just fine with him, but then Ronny Turiaf interrupted to say Vujacic is also known as Alexander.

"That's my first name," Vujacic said, but he isn't happy with it.

But I like it, Alexander the So-So, and before this season began, it certainly fit.

TJ Simers

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's in other places too.

The same newspaper attributed it to sasha, then TNT ran with it. It's obnoxious.

I posted to Bill Simmons about it as he mentioned it in the chat...to no avail. I sent him this link too.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's in other places too.

The same newspaper attributed it to sasha, then TNT ran with it. It's obnoxious.

I posted to Bill Simmons about it as he mentioned it in the chat...to no avail. I sent him this link too.

Cool. We just need to wikipedia fixed now, I am assuming that is where some are getting it from.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Suns are bounced. I'm sure Shaq will be in the weight room tomorrow getting ready for '08-'09.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Well, the Suns are bounced. I'm sure Shaq will be in the weight room tomorrow getting ready for '08-'09.

Right, I'm sure that's exactly what he'll be doing.

Now we get to put up with weeks of threads about how the refs cost the Suns again, and how Stern loves the Spurs. Suns put up a good fight, I respect what they did in game 4, but they lost fair and square. At least they didn't give up like the Nuggets did.

Hornets vs Spurs.. wow.. that's going to be a hell of a series. I think I would rather face New Orleans in the finals, San Antonio has enough experience to possibly beat us, provided we get past Utah/Houston.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Right, I'm sure that's exactly what he'll be doing.

Now we get to put up with weeks of threads about how the refs cost the Suns again, and how Stern loves the Spurs. Suns put up a good fight, I respect what they did in game 4, but they lost fair and square. At least they didn't give up like the Nuggets did.

Hornets vs Spurs.. wow.. that's going to be a hell of a series. I think I would rather face New Orleans in the finals, San Antonio has enough experience to possibly beat us, provided we get past Utah/Houston.

I won't participate in those threads, but the Suns did have 3 calls against them. Two times Duncan and Parker tripped over their own feet, and the refs called a foul. Near the end of the game as well, the ref said that the turnover against Nash that went out of bounds was off of his knee, but it didn't touch it.

Three more possessions could have been 2 or 3 more free throws using Hack-A-Shack.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
There were bad calls as there are in any series. I don't blame anyone for being mad when their team doesn't get calls, but you know there will be those that will say the Suns would have won if not for the Refs. You're not in that class Dreamcast, you can pretty much assume any comments like this aren't directed at you. Actually, to be honest, it's at the minority of the fans on the Suns forum, they just bark the loudest.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isnt it crazy that the D'Antoni/Nash/Amare/Marion-Shaq Suns will be remembered as being "the team that didnt win the title" over a nice stretch, similar to early '00 POR and SAC?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05