The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an attempt to get this back on topic, it should be interesting to see how the long break between games 1 and 2 affects the coaches' decisions to play guys heavy minutes.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont you have some lumber to cut?

Yet another put down towards the Irish and the low end jobs they had to do in America.. Irish helped make America what it it is.. Whether it be lumberjacks or laying railroad tracks..

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an attempt to get this back on topic, it should be interesting to see how the long break between games 1 and 2 affects the coaches' decisions to play guys heavy minutes.
when is game 1?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's the only time I've ever seen that title reffered to as the BAA. It is correct...and happened before the merger. I wonder why it is accepted as NBA. And why there is NBA/BAA reference there but no NBL.

Interesting...was the BAA dominant? I know several teams jumped ship from NBL to BAA before the merger. Are BAA total points scored counted as NBA stats as well? If I had time, I'd get to the bottom of that.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
when is game 1?

It is a 2-3-2 series;

Game 1: Thursday (6/5) BOS
Game 2: Sunday (6/8) BOS
Game 3: Tuesday (6/10) LA
Game 4: Thursday (6/12) LA
Game 5: Sunday (6/15) LA
Game 6: Tuesday (6/17) BOS
Game 7: Thursday (6/19) BOS

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the only time I've ever seen that title reffered to as the BAA. It is correct...and happened before the merger. I wonder why it is accepted as NBA. And why there is NBA/BAA reference there but no NBL.

Interesting...was the BAA dominant? I know several teams jumped ship from NBL to BAA before the merger. Are BAA total points scored counted as NBA stats as well? If I had time, I'd get to the bottom of that.

Yeah, pretty weird. The NBA acutally recognizes starting in 1946-47.

http://www.nba.com/history/finals/champions.html

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who else finds it funny to see Gee on Boston's jock after all his complaining that Arizona residents should only cheer for Arizona teams?

Talk about irony!

:biglaugh:

Nothing more ironic that this. It is amazingly hilarious.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SI said:
In a closet in the house the Bryants still own near Philadelphia is the little Lakers jacket that Kobe wore as a baby. Later he graduated to a Lakers letter jacket with leather sleeves. In his room in Italy was a life-sized poster of Magic Johnson. The Lakers were based more than 6,000 miles away, but that only deepened Kobe's appreciation of the way they played. Because the games he saw were on videotape, he didn't see them just once. He memorized them. "He would watch those games like they were a movie, and he knew what the actors were going to say next," says Shaya Bryant, now 20.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/features/2000/kobe_bryant/flashback980427/

LA Times said:
As a kid, did Bryant hate the Celtics?

"Who didn't?" he said.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers2-2008jun02,0,4290985,print.story

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While it's true I don't like the Lakers, I've never cared for the Celtics either. I find it hard to take serious any fan who became a fan of a team while they were on top, but to brag about championships that took place prior to their supporting the team, let alone before they were even born is pathetic. No one here had anything to do with either teams success, it's not your accomplishment. Be proud of your team, but don't talk trash.. you didn't do anything but choose to support a team that already had a history of winning. Some would say you jumped on the bandwagon which sounds about right.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While it's true I don't like the Lakers, I've never cared for the Celtics either. I find it hard to take serious any fan who became a fan of a team while they were on top, but to brag about championships that took place prior to their supporting the team, let alone before they were even born is pathetic. No one here had anything to do with either teams success, it's not your accomplishment. Be proud of your team, but don't talk trash.. you didn't do anything but choose to support a team that already had a history of winning. Some would say you jumped on the bandwagon which sounds about right.
'cept Donald & abomb, at least, have been fans pretty much their whole lives.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. People around here care about other people's fandom far too much.

It's obviously just my opinion, but you're braggin about championships you weren't even alive to be a fan to see. I don't care if people want to jump on board others success, that's their prerogative.. but to talk trash to others because they didn't CHOOSE to root for a team that was already winning... it just seems dumb to me.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's obviously just my opinion, but you're braggin about championships you weren't even alive to be a fan to see.

That's just dumb IMO. I have spent plenty of time reading about the history of the Minny and LA Lakers. I've watched many specials about those teams. I've done the work. I enjoy them even though I wasnt born.

Not sure we are bragging about them per se. They (the 14 titles) exist. Not sure what the issue is.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's obviously just my opinion, but you're braggin about championships you weren't even alive to be a fan to see. I don't care if people want to jump on board others success, that's their prerogative.. but to talk trash to others because they didn't CHOOSE to root for a team that was already winning... it just seems dumb to me.
Yah, I can see your point.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just dumb IMO. I have spent plenty of time reading about the history of the Minny and LA Lakers. I've watched many specials about those teams. I've done the work. I enjoy them even though I wasnt born.

Not sure we are bragging about them per se. They (the 14 titles) exist. Not sure what the issue is.

Agreed. It like hearing the Gettysburg Address. Just because I wasn't alive when Lincoln was, does that mean I can't love and appreciate the speech?

Speaking of which, I should put something in my sig about the '25 Cards. :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nobody is talking trash to others because they didn't choose to root for the Lakers. Instead, it seems we are defending the franchise we follow against ignorance of its history and statements about a massive rival made by pretend fans of that rival...shockingly one such Suns fan that thinks you must be Arizona or die is parading around with a gaudy Celtic signature. Who again is talking trash?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. It like hearing the Gettysburg Address. Just because I wasn't alive when Lincoln was, does that mean I can't love and appreciate the speech?

Speaking of which, I should put something in my sig about the '25 Cards. :D

Sounds like the point went right over your head. Are you going to brag about it.

EDIT: Are you going to pretend you somehow were apart of making that speech?

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody is talking trash to others because they didn't choose to root for the Lakers. Instead, it seems we are defending the franchise we follow against ignorance of its history and statements about a massive rival made by pretend fans of that rival...shockingly one such Suns fan that thinks you must be Arizona or die is parading around with a gaudy Celtic signature. Who again is talking trash?

Donald, I agree with you on the fake Celtic fan who is putting on a ridiculous show. That's just a pathetic showing... not my point. Like i said, I'm careful to acknowledge that this is just my take on it, but I've never understood people bragging about who they choose to root for as if they somehow had a hand in those accomplishments. I understand pride, I understand being proud of the members of such teams, but to brag about a teams history that your (not you necessarily) only involvement in was to pick them as your team is just silly to me. I just don't get it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald, I agree with you on the fake Celtic fan who is putting on a ridiculous show. That's just a pathetic showing... not my point. Like i said, I'm careful to acknowledge that this is just my take on it, but I've never understood people bragging about who they choose to root for as if they somehow had a hand in those accomplishments. I understand pride, I understand being proud of the members of such teams, but to brag about a teams history that your (not you necessarily) only involvement in was to pick them as your team is just silly to me. I just don't get it.

I guess that's just what being a fan is all about. Total immersion. To me, the number of titles is a legitimate talking point in this series, due to the title count is so close, and the fact that the C's put a whooping on the Lakers so many times. With the Spurs the old titles argument was not drug out...it was more focused on titles in the current decade. Jazz and Denver? No title talk was thrown around.

I kind of understand what you are saying, but I don't agree completely.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05