The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how gracious Shaq can be when he has no other choice.

I never understood the Shaq bashers. :shrug:

My only beef with him was the time he delayed his surgery because he got hurt on company time and he was going to get fixed up on company time...rather than get the surgery out of the way and be into playing shape more quickly.

Other than that - great player, great personality, great interviews, etc. Lots of positive memories during his time in L.A.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never understood the Shaq bashers. :shrug:

My only beef with him was the time he delayed his surgery because he got hurt on company time and he was going to get fixed up on company time...rather than get the surgery out of the way and be into playing shape more quickly.

Other than that - great player, great personality, great interviews, etc. Lots of positive memories during his time in L.A.

Yes, your other than that is great. But your "company time" example is why I have a love/hate with Shaq. He was lazy and undedicated. He had such small drive, and was always willing to coast rather than work hard. He was content to be one of the best big men, when he could have been the greatest of all time. Then, after bitching about money in LA and fattening up like a thanksgiving turkey, he gets in fantastic shape and takes less money in Miami.

While you hate Kobe for your own reasons, he has the qualities I want in a player...namely drive and passion to be the best. If you put Shaq's innate talent with Kobe's mental drive and toughness, they would have shut down the NBA. That guy would destroy all comers.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the point went right over your head. Are you going to brag about it.

EDIT: Are you going to pretend you somehow were apart of making that speech?

I would if the topic of discussion was great speeches vs. basketball.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, on the video.

A) I hate the Kobe shaved head. I think it is bad luck. :eek:

B) I didn't know Tony Parker was also a doorman in Boston.

C) Lamar is just a cool ****. I like the way he carries himself.

D) Nice to see Bynum there. :)

E) Tex brings his wife....nice.

F) Pau looks cool for some odd reason. He's like a cool unabomber.

Is it Thursday yet? I can't have any more anticipation for this series...

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, on the video.

A) I hate the Kobe shaved head. I think it is bad luck. :eek:

Think '96 Slam Dunk Contest Bald Head, not airballs in Utah Bald Head. ;)

D) Nice to see Bynum there. :)

No limp, no pain. :thumbup:

E) Tex brings his wife....nice.

By the way she was helping him, it looks like Tex's wife brings him. ;)

Is it Thursday yet? I can't have any more anticipation for this series...

Seriously.

I wonder if Jack will show up in Boston.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Truehoop;

As part of unofficial 1980s nostalgia week for the NBA, the League rigged up a conversation between Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and a bunch of reporters.

This was the best part (as transcribed by the NBA):

MAGIC JOHNSON: We didn't sleep for two weeks playing 'em (laughter). We talked about it every day. Actually, Larry probably will feel the same way, during the regular season, that's all we watched. Where are the Celtics? Did they win last night? Basically at the end of the day, Larry, I'm sure you can say this, too, we didn't even celebrate the Western Conference final. That was nothing to us. It was about winning the championship. It was about, where is Boston; looking forward to playing them. That's how our team was, because we always wanted to play the best, and that was the Celtics. Same way here.

LARRY BIRD: I can remember when Ralph Sampson hit that shot in L.A. to beat them with one second on the clock, I know all of us felt down a little bit because we weren't going to be able to play the Lakers again (laughter).

MAGIC JOHNSON: That's funny. We felt the same way when you guys lost against Detroit or whoever (laughter).

LARRY BIRD: I don't remember the losses, I only remember the wins.

MAGIC JOHNSON: You still crazy, LB (laughter).

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
It's great seeing NBA players in public. It really hits home just how freakin' tall those guys are.

Even guys who look normal to short on the court, like Sasha and Luke, tower over the regular folks.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Truehoop;

As part of unofficial 1980s nostalgia week for the NBA, the League rigged up a conversation between Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and a bunch of reporters.

This was the best part (as transcribed by the NBA):

MAGIC JOHNSON: We didn't sleep for two weeks playing 'em (laughter). We talked about it every day. Actually, Larry probably will feel the same way, during the regular season, that's all we watched. Where are the Celtics? Did they win last night? Basically at the end of the day, Larry, I'm sure you can say this, too, we didn't even celebrate the Western Conference final. That was nothing to us. It was about winning the championship. It was about, where is Boston; looking forward to playing them. That's how our team was, because we always wanted to play the best, and that was the Celtics. Same way here.

LARRY BIRD: I can remember when Ralph Sampson hit that shot in L.A. to beat them with one second on the clock, I know all of us felt down a little bit because we weren't going to be able to play the Lakers again (laughter).

MAGIC JOHNSON: That's funny. We felt the same way when you guys lost against Detroit or whoever (laughter).

LARRY BIRD: I don't remember the losses, I only remember the wins.

MAGIC JOHNSON: You still crazy, LB (laughter).

I have this on my ipod. It's great.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My lifelong intense dislike for Larry Bird would prevent me from even listening to it.

I used to the have hand-held Jordan v. Bird game (from Tiger). Hated being Bird. :)

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It makes me chuckle that the media contends that Vlad Rad on Pierce is going to be key. If you watch Lakers games Vlad's minutes are concentrated at the beginning of the game. Ariza has stated that he'll be ready when called on and Phil is looking to get him in the rotation.

Pierce is going to face the same type of defensive barrage that the Spurs through at Kobe with Bowen, Finley, Oberto, etc. I think we will see a lot less 1:1 matchups than some expect.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It makes me chuckle that the media contends that Vlad Rad on Pierce is going to be key. If you watch Lakers games Vlad's minutes are concentrated at the beginning of the game. Ariza has stated that he'll be ready when called on and Phil is looking to get him in the rotation.

Pierce is going to face the same type of defensive barrage that the Spurs through at Kobe with Bowen, Finley, Oberto, etc. I think we will see a lot less 1:1 matchups than some expect.

Vlad will be key in not allowing PP to get off early. Absolutely key. If he can hold his own early, when we bring in Ariza and even a bit of Sasha on him, hopefully he's good and frustrated. Also look for a lot of late doubles on PP from whomever is guarding Rondo. I also like the idea of putting Kobe on Rondo for stretches, to make him lose his confidence and cut off the snake's head.

The Lakers are talking like they are going to be throwing wave after wave of alternating matchups and soft doubles at KG and PP to keep them on their toes and never in rythm. Which is perfect to do against a mentally inferior team, which is how I see the Celtics. This series will be won or lost mentally more than physically.

I also want Sasha to get under Shuttlesworth's skin. Will be glorious.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My lifelong intense dislike for Larry Bird would prevent me from even listening to it.

I used to the have hand-held Jordan v. Bird game (from Tiger). Hated being Bird. :)

Dude, that turnaround 3 pointer in the corner was money like every time. Bird could almost always kick Jordan's ass in that game.