The Bledsoe dilemma

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
With Dragic and Bledsoe creating for everybody, I expect big numbers, from Bledsoe!

Though I have no clue how much he's asking for but I'd do $9.0/year.

This Bulls/Knicks game is close.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think our best case scenario is that he plays very well and we move him at the break.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
If he plays in tandem with Dragic and they continue to share the point guard duties fairly equally, other teams may see him as more limited than they might if he were the 'man' running the show. It might be somewhat unfair to him but I think it will keep the bidding more reasonable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he plays in tandem with Dragic and they continue to share the point guard duties fairly equally, other teams may see him as more limited than they might if he were the 'man' running the show. It might be somewhat unfair to him but I think it will keep the bidding more reasonable.

If he puts up numbers like he did last night I don't think that will be a problem.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns have to weigh that against how a Bledsoe contract would eat into salary-cap space they have created for a major trade or free-agency signing (during Bledsoe’s would-be offer-sheet process).

But does Bledsoe even want an extension here? He has not talked about wanting Phoenix to be his long-term home when given the chance.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...soes-value-hard-to-figure.html?nclick_check=1
I think the bolded can't be understated. I have said before based on his body language in games and his attitude towards Dragic but it holds a lot more water when a guy like Paul Coro says it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way too soon to worry about and it does not matter anyway as he will be a restricted free agent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just hope next summer we won't have the same situation where a RFA signs with another team and then proclaims how he only wants to play there and asks his current team not to match.

I just didn't want to go through the season continually speculating whether Bledsoe will stay or leave. I guess Hayward did not sign an extension with Utah either.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just didn't want to go through the season continually speculating whether Bledsoe will stay or leave. I guess Hayward did not sign an extension with Utah either.

Unless their going to get a max deal, I think it's common or going to be that it beneficial to gamble on themselves and wait to see what offers they get. Unless Bledsoe comes out and says he doesn't want to be a Sun, I see nothing to worry about. The team is going to try and get a deal that benefits them and the player is going to ask for more than they are offered. Let the market set the price and wait. It's a bit of a risk for the player, but nothing wrong with them gambling on themselves to try and get more.

In Bledsoe's case, he is an unknown for the most part and it's wise for both sides to wait IMO. I would have been shocked had they come to an agreement at this time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way too soon to worry about and it does not matter anyway as he will be a restricted free agent.

This.

There will be so much hype this year with the draft class and other FA's that I do not believe its a worry. He is restricted. We simply state that we will match any offer, we like him as a player and we want to keep him, do not get intimidated by agent speak etc. Even if he says he would rather play where he gets a big offer, forget it and match. I think teams make that a condition of making an offer now. If we want him, we pay to keep him and we will know exactly what we have. Right now, its a gamble, at the end of the year its just what we are willing to pay for what we are getting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just hope next summer we won't have the same situation where a RFA signs with another team and then proclaims how he only wants to play there and asks his current team not to match.

Simply ignore it an match. That's what good teams do.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simply ignore it an match. That's what good teams do.

Joe Johnson and Eric Gordon agree with you. Match the offer if he's worth it but we all know that desperate teams will overspend at times. Let's just not be that desperate team.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With Dragic and Bledsoe creating for everybody, I expect big numbers, from Bledsoe!
It was Bledsoe's first game with the Suns, and first at not being an NBA backup, but he did play second fiddle to Dragic in the stats on offense in the opener.

PLAYER..........MIN....POINTS.....ASSISTS

Dragic..........41.06......26.............9......

Bledsoe........38.52......22.............6......

It will be interesting to see how the dual-point-guard-backcourt shapes up (including defense) as time goes by. That, of course, will be a determining factor in whether one of them gets traded for a legit 2-guard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Johnson and Eric Gordon agree with you. Match the offer if he's worth it but we all know that desperate teams will overspend at times. Let's just not be that desperate team.

Steve

I think McDonough will handle this just fine.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An advantage the Suns have beyond restricted free agency, they can handle a poison pen clause with their salary space should Bledsoe explode. Teams will know they cannot out duel the Suns.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Early on Bledsoe has played well. IF he and the Suns are much better than expected and he looks like a young KJ then pay him. The is is not a Joe Johnson situation as JJ was the 3rd or 4 best player. Bledsoe and Dragic are out best players. MCD did great to acquire him as there were quite afew teams who wanted him

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Steve

If Bledsoe is gonna become as cancerous to the Suns as Gordon has been with the Pelicans since they match the contract, then I would rather is trade him or let him walk.

This group of young players don't need any locker room distractions.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumors (AZ radio) are that Bledsoe wanted the max. That makes it an obvious decision to wait.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumors (AZ radio) are that Bledsoe wanted the max. That makes it an obvious decision to wait.

So as I understand it, that would have made it a 5 year contract (to offer the max) instead of a 4 year contract which is what I think the Suns would have wanted.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bledsoe is high if he thinks he's a max player. If we get the right deal for him by the trade deadline, I'd be fine moving him.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think waiting is the right thing to do in this circumstance. There are just too many unknowns with us playing such an atypical offense and him being new to the team. If he really does not like playing this dual PG style it should become quite clear over the course of the season. Its also possible we will learn that he cannot keep up the defensive intensity playing 36 minutes a game instead of 20. Without that, he may well be a pretty ordinary PG.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm gonna be curious to hear what the discrepnecy in salary ended up being in this negotiation.

I'll be honest...I have no idea what he's worth.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course he asks for the max. He has nothing to lose. PG's available next off season are not good. If he plays up to par, he may likely get a max offer from some desperate team. He's gambling on himself, I would too.

Like I've said, I would be shocked if he agreed to a team friendly contract at this time. Too much potential money sitting out there. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't end up signing with the Suns either through them matching or straight up next summer. IMO there is nothing to read into here. This does not mean he doesn't want to play for the team or stick with them. It only means he believes he's worth more and is willing to play out the season to prove it. That's what I'd prefer anyway as a fan. I don't want the team to sign anyone who has not proven to be worth a 2nd or 3rd contract even if it costs a few more million a year.

I don't want an Amare or Penny sitting on the bench and taking up a big chunk of the cap. I can't imagine anyone does.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why didn't the Suns hash out a contract extension with Eric Bledsoe after GM Ryan McDonough told 620 AM in Phoenix last week that the team was "hoping to get something done" with his prized young guard before Thursday's 11:59 p.m. deadline?

As covered in our recent broad look at the extension landscape, Bledsoe was seeking at least $10 million annually. He was after that sort of salary when he was still Chris Paul's backup with the Clippers and was naturally only emboldened to pursue a deal in the Ty Lawson/Steph Curry/Jrue Holiday ballpark when the Suns made him their marquee summer addition.

Yet sources say there was an undeniable gulf between the sides in this month's negotiations. The Suns were not willing to go that high and are apparently convinced that they can handle any sort of lucrative offer sheet Bledsoe commands in July as a restricted free agent, whether that means matching the offer or facilitating a sign-and-trade if they deem the cost to be too pricey.

The Suns, in essence, were not prepared to pay Bledsoe at that level without seeing more of him in action when Goran Dragic (at $7.5 million annually) is more established in terms of running his own team. You can reasonably infer, then, that Phoenix actually won't be making Dragic available in the short term. Not until they're sure Bledsoe can indeed make the jump to full-time starter.

The risk there, of course, is that the 23-year-old uncorks a top-flight debut season in the desert, which would surely generate offer sheets in restricted free agency that the Suns won't want to see. The market for point guards next summer is quite thin, to put it charitably, with Toronto's Kyle Lowry and Detroit's Rodney Stuckey ranking as the most attractive unrestricted free agents among lead guards.
http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/12/suns-taking-risky-approach-with-eric-bledsoe

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake