The Bledsoe dilemma

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait until next summer. If he proves he can earn a mega-contract, fine, give him a mega-contract. Who else are the Suns going to spend money on?

A lot of big names could be available, more than usual this coming summer. I'm sure McD has an eye on someone already.

Couple that player with our developing unit of young personnel and we might have something.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait until next summer. If he proves he can earn a mega-contract, fine, give him a mega-contract. Who else are the Suns going to spend money on?

The trick is to spend the money on a player before they explode and not overspend. Having extra money to spend or absorb contracts is an asset.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of big names could be available, more than usual this coming summer. I'm sure McD has an eye on someone already.

Couple that player with our developing unit of young personnel and we might have something.

That's assuming we have a developing unit of young personnel. Here's hoping.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The trick is to spend the money on a player before they explode and not overspend. Having extra money to spend or absorb contracts is an asset.

If the player explodes, you're not overspending -- you're just not getting a bargain.

The Suns have plenty of cap room to work with. It won't be a lack of cap space that keeps major talent away.

It would be silly to pay Bledsoe $9M/yr just to escape the possible risk of needing to pay him $12M/yr later. But, from his camp's perspective, he doesn't want to accept a modest contract if he thinks he can earn more. So it's an impasse, fine, that's how the business works, nothing to sweat over.

Lingering hysteria over having "lost" Joe Johnson is clouding people's judgment. Johnson would not have brought the Suns a title. They had a terrific offensive team even without him; he wasn't going to help with interior defense or rebounding, which is what killed them in the playoffs every time. And it should go without saying that still having Johnson on the roster now would be of no use at all. In fact I'm sure that Brooklyn would be delighted to send him this way. The Suns just didn't lose that much with Johnson. It's time to move on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the player explodes, you're not overspending -- you're just not getting a bargain.

The Suns have plenty of cap room to work with. It won't be a lack of cap space that keeps major talent away.

It would be silly to pay Bledsoe $9M/yr just to escape the possible risk of needing to pay him $12M/yr later. But, from his camp's perspective, he doesn't want to accept a modest contract if he thinks he can earn more. So it's an impasse, fine, that's how the business works, nothing to sweat over.

Lingering hysteria over having "lost" Joe Johnson is clouding people's judgment. Johnson would not have brought the Suns a title. They had a terrific offensive team even without him; he wasn't going to help with interior defense or rebounding, which is what killed them in the playoffs every time. And it should go without saying that still having Johnson on the roster now would be of no use at all. In fact I'm sure that Brooklyn would be delighted to send him this way. The Suns just didn't lose that much with Johnson. It's time to move on.

I'd call spending less money on a player that would command a mega contract the next season a bargain. Saving money long term is tangible if the player explodes. Now if the player does not become the player one envisions, that is called a mistake or overspending. It's sort of like the stock market when I think about. Maybe we are quibbling. However, from what I understand, Bledsoe was a desired commodity when the Suns traded for him so it's not a stretch to think he will be a desired commodity when he becomes a RFA.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah but that's the NBA for you. A salary in the 8 to 8.5 range would put him between 74th and 82nd highest paid player. I don't think he's comparable to that group yet but it's not out of his reach by any means. Hopefully our Front Office is relying heavily on input from Hornacek as they pursue a contract for this kid. By now he's probably got at least a rough idea of Bledsoe's ceiling and makeup.

Steve

Yeah, my problem with that strategy is that great teams rarely pay much for anything other than stars...solid starters don't get overpaid by teams that win championships.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Considering the rest of the "talent" on the team, there is little doubt he's going to put up monster numbers. Lots of bad teams have guys that do, because somebody will get a ton of shots/minutes.

The problem with that of course is that they may just be the dreaded ok player who puts up great (misleading) numbers of a bad team, yet when in a good situation, does really nothing of value. (see Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Waymon Tisdale, Monta Ellis, et al)

I'm of the opinion with Bledsoe to offer him 7 million per year, and he really looks legit, pay him in the offseason. The concern of course is he'll put up monster numbers and we'll over pay him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lingering hysteria over having "lost" Joe Johnson is clouding people's judgment. Johnson would not have brought the Suns a title. They had a terrific offensive team even without him;

they had a terrific regular season offensive team, but the offense consistently was bottled up at the end of games because they only had one guy who could get his own shot. Pretty much every team needs a third big banana to get it done in the playoffs. JJ was that perfect third piece.

And a third piece, at an incredibly reasonable contract at 10 million per year means the Suns could have ADDED more defense to their lineup and kept Nash/Amare/JJ in tact. Hell, if they had kept Johnson and moved Marion, their lineup would have looked like this:

Nash
Bell
JJ
Amare
KT

Right off the bat, you would have had two very good defenders and a decent defender in JJ.

he wasn't going to help with interior defense or rebounding, which is what killed them in the playoffs every time. And it should go without saying that still having Johnson on the roster now would be of no use at all. In fact I'm sure that Brooklyn would be delighted to send him this way. The Suns just didn't lose that much with Johnson. It's time to move on.

LOL...eric, what's it like to think you're the word of God? Maybe we don't win a title with JJ, but to so emphatically believe there was no possibility and to talk to others who believe so like they're idiots is laughable.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
However, from what I understand, Bledsoe was a desired commodity when the Suns traded for him so it's not a stretch to think he will be a desired commodity when he becomes a RFA.

Considering how cheaply the Suns got him, he can't have been that hot a commodity. Teams did want Dudley, but only when they thought the Suns might give him away.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering how cheaply the Suns got him, he can't have been that hot a commodity. Teams did want Dudley, but only when they thought the Suns might give him away.

The Suns ability to offer the Clippers Dudley and his reasonable contract in the trade plus their ability to absorb Butler's 8M dollar contract were key. Also the Clippers were not going to be able to keep Bledsoe when he became a RFA. Too much money would be required to keep him as a backup to Chris Paul. The Suns were in financial position to take advantage of this unique trade opportunity. The Suns with will likely be the able to take advantage of future trade opportunities with available CAP space and draft picks.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Also the Clippers were not going to be able to keep Bledsoe when he became a RFA. Too much money would be required to keep him as a backup to Chris Paul. The Suns were in financial position to take advantage of this unique trade opportunity.

Yes, but other teams were too. If Bledsoe was that much of a commodity, his price would have been driven up one way or another. This wasn't Jerry West gifting Pau Gasol to the Lakers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but other teams were too. If Bledsoe was that much of a commodity, his price would have been driven up one way or another. This wasn't Jerry West gifting Pau Gasol to the Lakers.

Bledsoe was not a proven commodity. Let's hope McDonough got this right.

However, more interesting, the Pau Gasol trade to the Lakers may have been bad for the league but not so bad for the Grizzlies. They received draft rights to Marc Gasol plus two first round draft picks. I do not have a clue as to how the draft picks were used. They were likely late picks but it would be interesting to know. Marc Gasol has turned into a decent player plus he is a number of years younger than his brother.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/grizzlies_trade_gasol_to_lakers-080201.html

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
However, more interesting, the Pau Gasol trade to the Lakers may have been bad for the league but not so bad for the Grizzlies. They received draft rights to Marc Gasol plus two first round draft picks.

That's true, but it doesn't change the fact that had the Grizzlies put Pau Gasol on the open market, they would have gotten a much better price than a project big man (who happened to pan out) and two late picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thinking, that if the Warriors commit to signing Bogut to a three year 42M dollar contract, I'm liking signing Bledsoe to a moderate contract more.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/230411/Bogut-Signs-Full-Three-Year-Extension-With-Warriors-Worth-Up-To-Approximately-$42M

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wow, that deal for Bogut is insane. They'll be lucky if they get 100 games out of him over the three years.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The Suns ability to offer the Clippers Dudley and his reasonable contract in the trade plus their ability to absorb Butler's 8M dollar contract were key. Also the Clippers were not going to be able to keep Bledsoe when he became a RFA. Too much money would be required to keep him as a backup to Chris Paul. The Suns were in financial position to take advantage of this unique trade opportunity. The Suns with will likely be the able to take advantage of future trade opportunities with available CAP space and draft picks.

Plus the Clippers were able to sign Reddick because of the deal
The Suns front office engineered this trade.

They beat any other team to the punch.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Time running out on Bledsoe contract extension. Looks like he may end up being a RFA after all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe, if Bledsoe is not extended, this increases the value of Dragic to the Suns and increases the likelihood Bledsoe may be traded near the trading deadline.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I believe, if Bledsoe is not extended, this increases the value of Dragic to the Suns and increases the likelihood Bledsoe may be traded near the trading deadline.
I don't think Bledsoe willl be traded at the deadline. McDonough didn't trade Dudley for him so that he can trade him again within a year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't think Bledsoe willl be traded at the deadline. McDonough didn't trade Dudley for him so that he can trade him again within a year.
I guess in the long run it might be slightly better to see Bledsoe's actual performance this season and, if it is as good as we hope, counter any other offer. As opposed to countering other players' recent offers now and hoping that his performance is everything we hope it will be.

It looks like the former is what it is going to be.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I hope the Suns know he'll be the best PG on market... some Team will throw a lot of money at him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In a way, the Suns are betting that he does not explode.
"OK Mr. Bledsoe, we need you to tank for a season, thus lowering your income expectations, then come to life a year later and lead us to the promised land."

Uh huh.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake