The Bledsoe dilemma

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Rondo and Marshall should not be in the same conversation except for FT shooting percentage. Also FT shooting percentage is often a good indicator of how a player will shoot from the field except for those players who can get to the basket and Marshall is not one of them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO, Rondo and Marshall should not be in the same conversation except for FT shooting percentage. Also FT shooting percentage is often a good indicator of how a player will shoot from the field except for those players who can get to the basket and Marshall is not one of them.

Rondo is athletic, has speed, can defend and distribute. You can be a good pg in this league if you have a combination of skills or athleticism.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Looks like we have a new Bledsoe dilemma on our hands...his contract dilemma.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns are currently in talks with newly acquired guard Eric Bledsoe on a long-term contract extension. If the two sides can't reach a deal by the end of the month, the 23-year-old combo guard would become a restricted free agent at the end of the season.
The Suns are in an interesting spot because they've only seen the Kentucky product in training camp and a few preseason games, and it's still uncertain that he will become the star many project him to be.

Nonetheless, general manager Ryan McDonough, while on Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo show Wednesday, agreed that Bledsoe does figure into the team's long-term plans. McDonough said contract talks with the fourth-year player have gone "pretty well" to this point.

"If we're not able to work out a deal (by Oct. 31), we would start next summer with Eric as a restricted free agent, but obviously we're hoping to get something done before that," the general manager said.

Despite getting limited playing time for the Los Angeles Clippers behind star point guard Chris Paul, Bledsoe produced when he was given a chance to start and play extended minutes, McDonough said, and those factors will figure into what type of deal the Suns want to offer him.

"With Eric, there's more projection. Some would say there's more risk, but I'd also counter that there's more upside," McDonough, 33, said. "He does some unique things athletically. I think he's the best shot-blocking guard in the league. If he plays extended minutes, which he will for us, I think he might lead the league in steals. He has a unique potential."
IMO I don't think we should go over $7M/yr for him yet. If he wants more than $7M then lets wait and give it to him next summer. Yea its a risk cause if he does really great then he will be commanding a lot more but isn't paying a good player good money better than paying a free agent/trade bust good money?

I'll trust McD on whatever he decides though since this was his big acquisition.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO I don't think we should go over $7M/yr for him yet. If he wants more than $7M then lets wait and give it to him next summer. Yea its a risk cause if he does really great then he will be commanding a lot more but isn't paying a good player good money better than paying a free agent/trade bust good money?

I'll trust McD on whatever he decides though since this was his big acquisition.

So you're saying pay him around Wes Matthews or Jose Calderon level? Goran gets 7.5 this year and while I'm not sure he's worth more than Dragic I'm pretty sure he'll be expecting at least that much. Honestly, I don't know what to do with him. I just can't gauge his value. I'd lean towards signing him by the end of this month or moving him before the trading deadline. I don't like the idea of trying to negotiate at a point in time where we will likely have little leverage.

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So you're saying pay him around Wes Matthews or Jose Calderon level? Goran gets 7.5 this year and while I'm not sure he's worth more than Dragic I'm pretty sure he'll be expecting at least that much. Honestly, I don't know what to do with him. I just can't gauge his value. I'd lean towards signing him by the end of this month or moving him before the trading deadline. I don't like the idea of trying to negotiate at a point in time where we will likely have little leverage.

Steve

Yeah, we're between a rock and a hard place on this one. I actually agree that we shouldn't spend more than 7 per on him - good teams aren't built around paying decent players good money.

That said, if we can get him signed for a reasonable amount before the end of the month, I cringe when I think what he'll make. We all know he's going to get a ton of minutes and put up stats, but they may be inflated, and we may not know whether or not he'll be a legitimate contributor on a decent team.

Yuck.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
8.5-9. If you want a good player, you have to pay for him. Its just the business.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they could get him on Dragic's contract they should do it. He might be a bit behind Dragic as an offensive player but this guy is an all-NBA quality defender. If he plays that level of defense and can average 14 and 5 on the other end this year (and I absolutely think he will hit those numbers) then him for 7-8 mil will be a steal.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Steve
I'm saying wait and make him earn his pay check.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Joe Johnson approach didn't work out so well for the Suns.

I can only speak of what I have seen, but Bledsoe looks to be a better PG (player) than Dragic. If the Suns can mediate a contract that is satisfactory, I'd like to extend him.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I can only speak of what I have seen, but Bledsoe looks to be a better PG (player) than Dragic. If the Suns can mediate a contract that is satisfactory, I'd like to extend him.
Joe Johnson approach is completely different. We don't have Nash, Marion and Amare on the roster making big $$.

We have plenty of cap space to give Bledsoe whatever we want. If we want to give him the max, hey, we can.

I'm just saying lets see how he plays wearing a Suns jersey in starter's minutes and then give him his due.

Its much, much better than assuming someone will be great and then them sucking and being stuck with a bad contract.

I'd rather pay a good player what he's worth than overpay someone who isn't living up to his contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Johnson approach is completely different. We don't have Nash, Marion and Amare on the roster making big $$.

We have plenty of cap space to give Bledsoe whatever we want. If we want to give him the max, hey, we can.

I'm just saying lets see how he plays wearing a Suns jersey in starter's minutes and then give him his due.

Its much, much better than assuming someone will be great and then them sucking and being stuck with a bad contract.

I'd rather pay a good player what he's worth than overpay someone who isn't living up to his contract.

I understand your stance and it is legitimate. But what you said is essentially the approach Sarver took with Joe Johnson.

Quote:

No one is suggesting the Suns should throw ridiculous money at Bledsoe. I prefer the Suns control their destiny if possible.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

:bang: Yes it did. Johnson was never going to be happy in Phoenix, because he wanted to be the #1 guy. Waiting on him gave him a chance to figure out what was really important to him. Johnson now has one of the worst contracts in the league, and it wasn't a whole lot better before his last extension. The Suns avoided being saddled with a malcontent, which Johnson was going to be no matter how much money he was making.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:bang: Yes it did. Johnson was never going to be happy in Phoenix, because he wanted to be the #1 guy. Waiting on him gave him a chance to figure out what was really important to him. Johnson now has one of the worst contracts in the league, and it wasn't a whole lot better before his last extension. The Suns avoided being saddled with a malcontent, which Johnson was going to be no matter how much money he was making.

I just don't agree, when JJ was willing to sign an extension for a few million more than Sarver wanted to pay. The Suns would have avoided the exorbitant contract Atlanta offered the next season. I certainly do not believe JJ was worth the big contracts payed by Atlanta but that was on them.

IMO, Sarver's unwillingness to extend JJ (I thought he had more than proved his value) poisoned the well when he became a RFA, especially when Sarver told him to go prove himself the previous season. That's almost like throwing gasolene on a fire. If the Suns had extended JJ, they would have the luxury the following season of choosing which player they wanted to keep, JJ or Marion (who had a premium value at the time). The Suns would have been in the driver's seat.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
IMO, Sarver's unwillingness to extend JJ (I thought he had more than proved his value) poisoned the well when he became a RFA, especially when Sarver told him to go prove himself the previous season. That's almost like throwing gasolene on a fire. If the Suns had extended JJ, they would have the luxury the following season of choosing which player they wanted to keep, JJ or Marion (who had a premium value at the time). The Suns would have been in the driver's seat.

I think that's revisionist thinking. Johnson was already grumbling about his relationship with the front office after he was "rushed back" following the injury to his face in the playoffs. True, he would have accepted a smaller contract in the summer before he left, but I don't see how he could have been happy through the duration of it.

Also, Marion was overpaid and had negative trade value. The market for his contract would have been very soft. The Suns would not have been able to trade away Marion without damaging the roster in some other way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's revisionist thinking. Johnson was already grumbling about his relationship with the front office after he was "rushed back" following the injury to his face in the playoffs.

how so? if anything, the above completely ignores the fact that the Suns had already low-balled him on hsi contract extension, then tried to rush him back from a serious injury when he had no security for his future. If anything, what you just brought up only further provides evidence that the team pushed JJ away. The FO's behavior toward him gave rise to feelings we NEVER heard about. And you bringing them up and saying they would be there regardless doesn't take into account that the team continually gave him reason to dislike the FO.

True, he would have accepted a smaller contract in the summer before he left, but I don't see how he could have been happy through the duration of it.

again, if they had given him what he was worth (and what JC thought he was worth and told Sarver so), you really have very little evidence to show that he would have become a malcontent. and if he did become one, we would have had a VERY tradable asset at a very tradable contract.

Also, Marion was overpaid and had negative trade value. The market for his contract would have been very soft. The Suns would not have been able to trade away Marion without damaging the roster in some other way.

maybe, but Marion was still playing at an All-Star level and there were numerous reports that he was the centerpiece of a KG deal that reports said got nixed because Marion said he wouldn't play for Boston. So, I'm not sure the above can be said with the level of certainty you seem to believe it has.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only speak of what I have seen, but Bledsoe looks to be a better PG (player) than Dragic.

I don't think so right now but he has the potential to get there plus he's four years younger.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bet you he gets 8-8.5 and probably some incentives

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess. That's a huge payday for a guy who hasn't even proven himself as an NBA starter...

Yeah but that's the NBA for you. A salary in the 8 to 8.5 range would put him between 74th and 82nd highest paid player. I don't think he's comparable to that group yet but it's not out of his reach by any means. Hopefully our Front Office is relying heavily on input from Hornacek as they pursue a contract for this kid. By now he's probably got at least a rough idea of Bledsoe's ceiling and makeup.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wait until next summer. If he proves he can earn a mega-contract, fine, give him a mega-contract. Who else are the Suns going to spend money on?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake