The Continuing Saga of "Barroids"

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
Are we really supposed to believe Bonds actually didn't know his trainer was giving him banned substances??

I dont believe him, and I think that his recent records should be taken away from him. I dont want an * I want, from when steriods have been banned, for his numbers to be whiped out.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
As was said earlier, Bonds is a guy who supposedly takes great care of himself and his body. You think he would just use something without knowing what it was? B.S.

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I dont believe him, and I think that his recent records should be taken away from him. I dont want an * I want, from when steriods have been banned, for his numbers to be whiped out.

For what? He broke no rules of MLB.

Do you think the Diamondbacks 2001 WS Championship should be taken away as well?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
green machine said:
As was said earlier, Bonds is a guy who supposedly takes great care of himself and his body. You think he would just use something without knowing what it was? B.S.
That was his only logical defense. Stop denying that he took steroids.

Admit it, but deny knowing what they were.

As the saying goes,

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Another thought about cheating and enhancing your skills artificially.

I'm thinking of Sammy using a corked bat.

It's too bad that Bond's 70+ season (or his chasing the all-time HR total) and Sammy's 3 60+ seasons happened artificially.

Sadly, it's a reflection of society and human nature. Too many people believe that it's OK to be unethical as long as you don't get caught.

That's the irony of sports records. They're brought to the forefront for decades . . . as are those who cheated.

It makes Roger Maris' former asterisk for hitting 61 (in a 162, rather than 154, game schedule) seem puny.

Playing in a schedule of 8 extra games was worthy. Using steriods or a corked bat is not. Hmmm.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Homer Simpson said:
For what? He broke no rules of MLB.

Do you think the Diamondbacks 2001 WS Championship should be taken away as well?

Read my WHOLE post next time skippy. I said since steriods have been banned in baseball... so after the new agreement all records of those that have been proven to take steriods should have an * after their record.

And since the D'backs won in 2001, that means that no it wouldnt be taken away, and neither would Bond's 73 home runs.

I know its hard for you, but please read the whole post. It would help you seem less of a ******.

kthnxbi

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I call B.S. Yeah right and I "unknowingly" slept with my friends girlfriend last month. :wave:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
An editorial in the Republic a few days ago told how the writer watched Bonds assuring that every item in a bag of takeout food was exactly as he ordered.

Clearly that type of personality wouldn't apply any substance to himself without knowing exactly what it was.

Nice try, Babo.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaron Rips Bonds

Aaron rips Bonds following steroids testimony
Story Tools: Print Email
FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

Hank Aaron was once an admirer and supporter of Barry Bonds. Now, the all-time home run king says he is disturbed to hear Bonds' statements to a grand jury in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative investigation, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Tonight:

NY Giants DE Michael Strahan
FOXSports.com NFL Insider Jay Glazer
IBF Heavyweight Champ Chris Byrd
Plus:

Boxers Vassily Jirov and Michael Moorer
Email the show

The San Francisco Chronicle was the first to report last week about Bonds' testimony to a grand jury in which he said he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by fitness trainer (and personal friend) Greg Anderson, who was indicted in a steroid distribution ring. But Bonds said he didn't know they were steroids.

"First, since I played the game myself, I know that you can't put something in your body to make you hit a fastball, changeup or curveball," Aaron told the newspaper over the weekend.

In the story, Aaron wonders aloud about Bonds' steroid use as his body has begun to age.

"The only person who can do that (read: help a player hit the baseball) is the good Lord. But, at that age (40), you have to ask: Did he accomplish all of this by rejuvenating his strength from day to day with those substances? I know that when you reach a certain age, you just don't bounce back as quickly as you think you can when you're playing all of those games."

Aaron also questioned whether aging players — such as Bonds — can help themselves recover faster (physically) by using steroids.

"Drugs won't help you hit the ball. But can they make you recuperate consistently enough to hit the kind of home runs that these guys are hitting?"

Aaron paused, sighed and added, "Let me say this. Any way you look at it, it's wrong."

But are Bonds' transgressions severe enough to warrant asterisks next to his records? Should he be kept out of the Hall of Fame?

"Really, I can't argue that point, because it's something that everybody (in a decision making) position has to sit down and think about, especially since this new Bonds thing is shedding a whole different light on the issue," Aaron said. "Is this thing involving Barry Bonds in the same category as the guy who gambled on baseball?"

Of course, Aaron was referring to former Reds' player and manager Pete Rose who was banished in 1989 for betting on Major League Baseball.

Aaron sighed again and added, "It's gotten so that, baseball gets off to a good start, and then, 'Bam.' Something sends it rocking and reeling. I just wish we could have about four or five years without experiencing any of this stuff."

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Henry Aaron has never had an oversized ego, despite his baseball longevity and accomplishments.

You sort of get the impression that his statements about Bonds are less about his HR record and more about the integrity of the game.

Well done, Hank.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonds doesn't get it and never will

Truth be told, Barry's a little scary

February 23, 2005

BY JAY MARIOTTI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

He is a despicable human being. There is no other way to describe Barry (The Cream and The Clear) Bonds, who had an opportunity to tell the truth about steroids Tuesday and instead delivered an antagonistic, irrational and arrogantly defiant rant that only raises suspicions he's one of the biggest phonies of our sporting lives.

We wanted light shed on the dirt, some sort of reason to believe he hasn't achieved his historic power numbers via performance-enhancing drugs. We wanted Bonds to explain why America shouldn't turn its head and hold its nose when he one-ups Babe Ruth's 714th home run early this baseball season, then pursues the hallowed record of the regal and juice-free Henry Aaron. Instead, with the cameras shining on him for the first time in months, he came off as an angry, sweating man with much to hide.

The public trust is not to be treated like a lazy fastball at the letters. Typically, Bonds tried to crush it with his intimidating might. That gust of wind you felt was of a slugger whiffing badly, a strikeout that should remind one and all that his stalking of all-time milestones is the sham of shams.

''You guys are like re-running stories. It's old stuff, like watching 'Sanford and Son.' It's comical, basically,'' Bonds shouted at his press conference, accusing the media of ''lying'' in their coverage of the steroids scandal that has rocked sports. ''You've got alcoholism, the No. 1 killer in America, and we're legalizing that to buy in stores. You've got tobacco, the No. 2, 3 and 4 killer in America. We legalize that. Next week, when we have some other tragedy, you're gonna say, 'Save our children.' You're going to be saying how we're evil people. It's one thing after another. It's become 'Hard Copy' all day long. Are you guys jealous, upset, disappointed, what?''

No, Barry, we're just wondering whether you used steroids or not. Is that too much to ask, knowing there's no use in conducting sports events and charging astronomical ticket prices if the athletes are dirty? We're wondering because you just happened to introduce Jason Giambi, an acknowledged steroids user, to your friend and personal trainer, Greg Anderson, who has been indicted in the BALCO scandal. We're wondering because you testified to a grand jury that Anderson gave you a clear substance and a cream -- steroids by any name -- though you claimed to believe it was ''flaxseed oil.'' We're wondering because this is a very delicate time in sports, with the lines blurring between what's real and fraudulent.

Nothing to celebrate

''All of you have lied. Should you have an asterisk behind your names?'' he lectured, almost maniacal in tone. ''All of you have dirt. When your closet is clean, then come clean someone else's. Right now, baseball needs to go forward. You guys need to turn the page, let us play the game. We will fix it. Don't turn it into a spectacle because you have the freedom to come into our office and snoop and make up stories.''

Letting Bonds and the muscle gang fix baseball is like handing the prison keys to the inmates. As his weak scare tactics extended beyond a half-hour, it was obvious he'd lost any opportunity to strike a tone of goodwill among fans. He said he expects the masses to celebrate his chase for No. 756, but again, he is deluding himself. Sure, there always will be yokels in the Bay Area who want the pride and joke of the San Francisco Giants to pass Aaron. But those people allow local allegiances to shroud common sense, much like Yankees fans who encouraged Giambi and Cubs fans who cheered Sammy Sosa after his corked-bat farce. Rational Americans should boo Bonds every chance they get the next two seasons, particularly after he used his Arizona session to spew more racial garbage about the Ruth chase. Two summers ago, when Bonds was in town for the All-Star Game, he said he was inspired to pass Ruth because he was white. Tuesday, he was asked why he believes people don't necessarily want him to beat The Babe.

''Because Babe Ruth is one of the greatest players ever, and Babe Ruth ain't black, either,'' Bonds said. ''I'm black. Blacks, we go through it a little more. I'm not a racist, but I live in the real world.''

He credits 'hard work'

He was just as delusional when answering the tough questions, still posed despite an edict from a Giants public-relations man not to ask questions related to BALCO and grand-jury testimony. Someone asked Bonds if he thinks steroids is cheating. ''I don't know what cheating is,'' he said. ''I don't believe steroids can help your eye-hand coordination and technically hit a baseball. I just don't believe it.''

What does he think of steroids use in the game? ''I never really paid any attention to it, nor did I really care,'' he said. ''I worried about me. That's it. I was good then, and I'm still good.''

How has he been able to hit a stunning 258 homers the last five years after hitting 445 in his previous 14 seasons? ''Hard work,'' he said. ''That's about it.''

Jose Canseco suspects Bonds is a steroids user. What does Bonds think of the best-selling author? ''There's a code in baseball that you're to respect your peers, regardless of whatever. This whole thing has become a circus,'' he said of Canseco, who has credibility as a member of the steroids culture when he names names in his book. ''I don't know Canseco, other than to say hello and goodbye. Mark McGwire was a big boy in college, and he hit a lot of home runs early in his career. To me, Canseco has got to come with a whole lot more than what you're talking about. Fiction is fiction. There's a whole lot of books out there. It's just to make a buck. I've had enough of Jose. I was better than Jose then and I was better than Jose his whole career. If he wants to make money, make money. For somebody who brags about what he did, I don't see any of your records.''

So that's what it has come to. On the day Bonds should have come clean, he told the world he's a better slugger than Canseco and that society has bigger problems than steroids. Last I checked, millions of teenagers were trying steroids, life risks and all. The great philosopher Bonds sits there and preaches anyway.

''You cannot rehash the past,'' he said. ''If that's the case, go back to the 19th and 18th centuries. We'll crush a lot of things in sports if you want to do that. If you want things out, go back to the 1800s and [add' asterisks to a lot of sports, if that's what you choose to do and it makes you happy."

Tell you what. Let's just take one of those aforementioned asterisks and slip it on his current number, 703*. And we'll just keep it there for eternity, so future generations can separate fact from fiction and the truth from shameless, desperate spinning.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Bless you, Jay Mariotti. I watched the Bonds press conference and felt like I was going to puke. Good for Mariotti to come out and say it. He is one of my favorite sports journalists.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
It's really sad the Greatest Hitter of His Generation will carry such an ugly, ugly cloud the rest of his life.

I still don't know what the best solution is. It's just very sad.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I know of several Giants fans who sent Mariotti an email about his article. They were civil emails, nothing hostile about them.

Mariotti's response? He told several of them to "get a life" and made fun at some of their names.

What a prick :rolleyes:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Bonds DEFINATELY did not conduct that press confrence well at all.

I cant stand a player that uses steroids or any type of illegal supplement.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Actually, I researched this for a crotchety argument on another site - Steroids make your face rounder sometimes, and heavier, but just about the only thing that increases actual skull and head size is Human Growth Hormone.

LOL - so maybe he's telling the truth about steroids. :rolleyes:

Stan C

Veteran
Reaction score
human growth hormone still won't show up even with the new testing. SO I'm afraid it will be around a while longer.

mkapp

CheesyPoof!
Reaction score
Hehe of course he is on the juice. Exhibit A: Roid rage in live on camera. Good job Barry Bonds*. The pics of Barry Bonds* should be done with McGwire too, I remember them both when they were early into their careers, and they did more than lift weights. What about their wives? I am surprised none of them are divorced over their "inadequecies" at home. If you want to do roids fine go sign up with WWE and get out of real sports. Barry has talent and is a great player with great skill, but what a jack@ss! You deserve a gold * (in the record books)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Oh crap my hat size just changed from a 7 1/2 to an 8?

I wonder if it has anything to do with that "flaxseed oil" I've been rubbing on my thighs?

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Oh crap my hat size just changed from a 7 1/2 to an 8?

I wonder if it has anything to do with that "flaxseed oil" I've been rubbing on my thighs?
:biglaugh: :lmao:

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Sammy Sosa 1989

You must be registered for see images attach

Sammy Sosa 2003

Curt Schilling 1989

Curt Schilling 2003

You must be registered for see images

The Big Cat:

Town Drunk

Reaction score
As for the head size comments, I'd like to see the web site that states your head gets bigger due to steroids. Because I haven't been able to find one to date.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Just to be clear guys, if there's evidence that Bonds has done steroids, then I'm right up there with all of you, and I'd consider an asterick. I'm trying not to be a homer Giants fan :wave:

But there isn't any evidence.