The Dbacks offseason thread

Fannatick

Reaction score
We should play Cintron for this year and bring up Drew next year or if we start sucking and are out of the playoffs then bring up Drew for the last month or so and let him get some AB's.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Finally, someone who agrees with me on Cintron! :notworthy (Prepare for the bashing bud. :( )

No one should bash anyone for having a different opinion. Granted, I may not agree with what you said about giving Glaus away, but hey, that's what makes having opinions fun. We can agree to disagree.

But an option I think we should look at to fill the 1-2 year gap for Drew/Upton at SS is Nomar. Sure, he's injury prone but will he get a high dollar deal? I doubt it. Throw him a 2 year deal.

You might actually be surprised. Someone's going to pony up some money (granted, it may not be the 8 mill he made this year with Chicago), but I can see him getting somewhere around 12 mill for a 2 year deal based off his past success.

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Finally, someone who agrees with me on Cintron! :notworthy (Prepare for the bashing bud. :( )

But an option I think we should look at to fill the 1-2 year gap for Drew/Upton at SS is Nomar. Sure, he's injury prone but will he get a high dollar deal? I doubt it. Throw him a 2 year deal.

Yeah the name sounds good, but he has been on the DL more often than not the last couple of years. What good will he do us if that trend continues? A HUGE risk IMHO. Besides, he wouldn't go for only two years.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Worrell turned down a $1M 1-year offer - fine. Fungible: see 'aging mediocre reliever.' He was adequate, and I'd rather him than many of the others we've had in the past - but since we're still paying Choate and Koppy for not pitching, the mediocre-reliever budget is pretty much tied up. Anyhow - if they'd just use him properly, Koppy can fill that role for 2006.

As long as arbitration doesn't get silly, keep Cintron at SS this year; if Drew blows out the pitching in Tucson and plays competent defense, bring him up mid-summer and let Alex give Counsell some time off at 2B so he won't wear down as fast. Cintron is not the guy to tutor Drew - Drew is already a nearly equal defensive SS and better hitter and baserunner - but being around CC and Jay Bell would be a positive influence.

btw - why are we not examining available 2B guys instead of SS - we could actually USE a good 2B for the next several years, not just as a stop gap. (And please don't talk about bouncing Drew around - can we start a novel practice of letting prospects actually develop some comfort and skill at a single position, unless we are regarding them as just a decent utility guy?)

Fannatick

Reaction score
As long as arbitration doesn't get silly, keep Cintron at SS this year; if Drew blows out the pitching in Tucson and plays competent defense, bring him up mid-summer and let Alex give Counsell some time off at 2B so he won't wear down as fast. Cintron is not the guy to tutor Drew - Drew is already a nearly equal defensive SS and better hitter and baserunner - but being around CC and Jay Bell would be a positive influence.

btw - why are we not examining available 2B guys instead of SS - we could actually USE a good 2B for the next several years, not just as a stop gap. (And please don't talk about bouncing Drew around - can we start a novel practice of letting prospects actually develop some comfort and skill at a single position, unless we are regarding them as just a decent utility guy?)

Wow, this might be one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. I couldnt agree with you more. Let Cintron play and if Drew is ready by the middle/end of the year then bring him up.

As for the 2B, again good idea. We should keep our eyes open in the offseason and see if we can get someone a little better than Counsel, but I wont be mad if we cant. And I know we have other positions to fill besides 2B.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
The Tigers might also consider trading for Arizona right-hander Javier Vazquez, who wants a change of venue, and whose contract ($24 million through 2007) would be something of a wash if Pudge Rodriguez were part of the deal.
detnews.com

Tim Worrell knows the value of $1 million. But according to the veteran relief pitcher, it isn't enough to bring him back to the Diamondbacks. "I know that's a lot of money in the real world," Worrell said. "But I don't live in the real world. I live in this crazy, stupid world of baseball, where things are different, and in the end, I don't think I should have to take a pay cut of two-thirds of my salary last year." Worrell made $3 million in 2005. Arizona is offering him $1 million. He wants to make something in between if he decides to come back and pitch for at least another season.
azcentra.com

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, I find it rather discouraging that the Dbacks have low-balled Worrell. It sends the wrong message to other FAs that Dbacks arent willing at all cost to resolve what was essentially the difference maker in them not overtaking the Padres in the "NL Lest"....

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/1109dbacks1109.html

This is the same exact link/source that Espo got his info regarding Worrell, however, this is what struck me:

Worrell, who lives in the Valley during the off-season, said he asked the Diamondbacks whether they would be willing to sign him to an incentive-laden contract, one that could pay him the money he wants if he meets certain statistical goals, including appearances, innings pitched and the like.

That would be the perfect case scenario because it would protect the Dbacks from vesting an excessive amount of money if he so happens reverts back to the form that he was prior to coming over from the Phillies and also if he does meet those statistical goals, then he still would be a bargain.....

I won't be shocked if the Dbacks acquire Damion Easley at a minimal contract (a deal similar to when they initially signed Tony Clark last season) or perhaps as a non-roster invitee... He still has some decent power/speed and his versatility would be ideal since he can play all 4 IF positions. Also, he became Tony Clark's best friend when both were teammates in Detroit and he too makes the Phoenix suburbs his offseason home... I'm obviously not anticipating Easley to have a resurgence, however, he would be a cheap stop-gap until Drew is fully ready to become an every day SS and could spell both Counsell and Glaus at 2B and 3B respectively....
I honestly still envision Cintron being traded between now and Spring Training...

I'm somewhat against the notion that the Dbacks would trade Vazquez in exchange for Pudge.... Pudge would definitely reserve the Dbacks need for an offensive oriented catcher, but he's been bothered by injuries and realistically only has about 2-years left.... If Vazquez is traded, they must yield an elite pitching prospect along with a top-flight CF and a younger reliever in the trade package....

As far as the debate regarding Glaus... if someone were to tell me that he would generate 37 HRs and 97 RBIs when they signed him last offseason, I would have been elated... No one projected him to play through the entire season and his production did gradually climb as the season progressed... People tend to overlook that he did play through some lingering injuries and hopefully will be fully recovered... Also, it was a transition year for him since this was the first time he was exposed to NL pitching for an entire season...
He also managed 84 walks which isnt all too bad.... I believe he would benefit the most if the Dbacks finally acquired that 'legit lead-off hitter who would be the table-setter in the line-up... I did mention Damon.... True.. he obviously has a high asking price (which is more than likely exceeds the Dbacks price-range), however, he has a multi-dimensional player who would fill several needs..especially with his deft ability to get on base, plus his defense still ranks among the best in the game.. He's certainly much better than what the Dbacks have in CF for both the short and long term...True, he's 33, but has at least 4+ years of where he will produce an above average level.. Plus, he's a winner and would be a perfect leader for a clubhouse which still lacks someone as assertive/vocal as he is..... The only other scenario for the Dbacks to obtain a CF would still cost one of their uber prospects and that of course isnt too worthwhile... I read where someone mentioned Bernie Williams..he's obviously more over-the-hill... Kenny Lofton also intrigues me, but I dont envision him willing to sign in AZ since they're still somewhat in a rebuilding stage....

I still would love Jeff Weaver as either a #1 or #2 starter... The darkhouse is Claudio Vargas... Perhaps his performance last season might have been an aberration, but he might be Miguel Batista #2... Someone who capitalized on an opportunity to prove himself and found a long-term home in the process.. Vargas would be a decent #5 starter or would be solid in long-relief....

I wouldnt be shocked if Scott Hairston, Koyie Hill, Sergio Santos, and Luis Terrero all being part of some package trade to bring over a veteran reliever or a capable CF....

It will be a fascinating offseason and intriguing to find out how much input that Byrnes actually would have, but it appears more than obvious that this is Moorad's team now.....

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
From ESPN's top free Agent's list:

"19. Tom
Gordon Age: 37
IP: 80.2
SV: 2
ERA: 2.57
BB: 29
SO: 69
'05 salary: $3.75M Prediction: Diamondbacks.
Comment: He wants to be a closer and the good news for him is that there are clubs desperate for one. He will need to be protected a bit because he has shown the propensity to get fatigued at times, but for the clubs who lose out on the proven closers he will be a pretty decent alternative."

Can't say that I agree with that. The D'backs should be looking for a few arms in the bullpen, but not a new closer (if Gordon can actually be a closer anymore).

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
A good start to our offseason NEEDS to be a good trade for Javy. I say we trade to FLA for either pierre or lo duca. We need a leadoff hitter (so we can put counsell in the 2 hole) and a catcher so I think the marlins are a good place to start. Florida also seems to be dumping money so they may ship both if the offers good enough. They are letting their FA pitchers go and are shopping Delgado. We'll see what this Burns guy is all about and hopefully Kendrik stays away. He's been horrible so far. Glaus and ortiz tying up nearly 90 mill. ouch!

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
A good start to our offseason NEEDS to be a good trade for Javy. I say we trade to FLA for either pierre or lo duca. We need a leadoff hitter (so we can put counsell in the 2 hole) and a catcher so I think the marlins are a good place to start. Florida also seems to be dumping money so they may ship both if the offers good enough. They are letting their FA pitchers go and are shopping Delgado. We'll see what this Burns guy is all about and hopefully Kendrik stays away. He's been horrible so far. Glaus and ortiz tying up nearly 90 mill. ouch!

NO NO NO!! No LoDuca!! I cannot stress that enough. He is highly overrated, pricey, and would not be better than any other options out there. He lets through too many passed balls and threw out only 25% of basestealers. If we want a catcher I say go after Asmus.

As to Pierre, I would love to have him here. He is the type of player we need on the team.

Last edited:

Fannatick

Reaction score
I deffinately don't want Paul Lo Duca in a trade for Javy, no way. Why does everyone want him? He's 33, last was should what he can do. He's not going to put up a .300 BA or over 15 HR's. .283/6/57 is not impressive. I would rather get a SP or something else in return.

I like Juan Pierre, although if we get him what are we going to do with Green, Gonzo and Tracy? With the young talent we have coming up for OF, I dont think we need to trade for one. I do love how he is a true leadoff hitter though.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
We dont have a center fielder.... I dont really care what we do with what we have. Pierre would be our best outfielder and by far the best leadoff man. Put Tracy in left and start phasing out gonzo. He has to start strugglin soon. As for Lo duca, I'd take him if he was packaged with Pierre. I dont know what his contract is but hes an upgrade to the crappy catchers we have. Plus, we're looking to sign the catcher from san diego which will be expensive as well. In that case, I'd rather go with Hernandez.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
WAs for Lo duca, I'd take him if he was packaged with Pierre. I dont know what his contract is but hes an upgrade to the crappy catchers we have.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there. I would take Snyder over LoDuca any day of the week. For one, he is much better defensively than LoDuca and that is the part of catching that means the most. Not only that, but Synder can call a much better game, some thing that really doesn't show up with statistics. If one were to only look at the batting stats, yea LoDuca does look better, but if what you want is a catcher doing his job right... go with Snyder.

Like I have said before, Chris had an off year. He struggled his first year at AA putting up similar numbers, yet the next year he was a good hitter.

This team isn't going to contend next year (unless the NL West gets even more pathetic) and I say look to the future and see what happens. If Snyder continues to struggle into next year, then look for a replacement.

I know many of you people won't agree with me, but I think this is better for the team in the long run.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there. I would take Snyder over LoDuca any day of the week. For one, he is much better defensively than LoDuca and that is the part of catching that means the most. Not only that, but Synder can call a much better game, some thing that really doesn't show up with statistics. If one were to only look at the batting stats, yea LoDuca does look better, but if what you want is a catcher doing his job right... go with Snyder.

Like I have said before, Chris had an off year. He struggled his first year at AA putting up similar numbers, yet the next year he was a good hitter.

This team isn't going to contend next year (unless the NL West gets even more pathetic) and I say look to the future and see what happens. If Snyder continues to struggle into next year, then look for a replacement.

I know many of you people won't agree with me, but I think this is better for the team in the long run.

Snyder is completely worthless. True he is good defensively, but offensively the kid has no clue what to do with a bat. I still would like a trade for one of the Angel's catching prospects. As far as Pierre is concerned, there is no way in hell that Florida is willing to part ways with him - that is nothing more than a pipe dream.

As far as a trade with Javy, don't be surprised if we do a deal with Baltimore. They have the money and that's where he wanted to be all along, not to mention they are in the market for another starter.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ESPN News didn't have anything new to say but they did say that the Dbacks came very close to trading Vasquez straight up for Randy Wolf after Christmas last year

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Snyder is completely worthless. True he is good defensively, but offensively the kid has no clue what to do with a bat. I still would like a trade for one of the Angel's catching prospects.

How can he be completely worthless if he is good defensively? It seems like too many people are infatuated with statistics.

I do not get why we want to get rid of a young catcher like Snyder... he isn't going to hit .300 but I think he will hit .240 with good power numbers if he plays full time again next year.

I would take that over paying LoDuca his salary just for his decent numbers.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Lo Duca certainly is better than Snyder right now, but not $5.9 million dollars better. If we really have to spend $6.5 million this offseason, I'd rather go with a moderatly priced starter and Snyder than just Paul Lo Duca and his second half disappearing act.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
How can he be completely worthless if he is good defensively? It seems like too many people are infatuated with statistics.

I do not get why we want to get rid of a young catcher like Snyder... he isn't going to hit .300 but I think he will hit .240 with good power numbers if he plays full time again next year.

I would take that over paying LoDuca his salary just for his decent numbers.

One of the reason's our hitting was so pathetic last year was because our 7-8-9 hitters were completely worthless. He batted .202 last season with a slugging percentage of .301. His OBP was just .297 and it was only that high because he would often get walked so the opposing team could face the pitcher. I wouldn't be so harsh on the guy if I saw modest improvement over the season, but I didn't. After all, the kid saw 326 AB's and appeared in 115 games so it's not like he was a late season call-up. Granted his defense was good, but you can easily find good defensive catchers that at least know how to swing the bat. Gracie said it best in his on air fiasco when he stated that he takes an underwater swing every time (with multiple expletives in between). I don't mind having him as a backup catcher for late inning defensive substitutions, but if you honestly believe that this kid is our future behind homeplate then I am very worried.

Firthermore I never mentioned that LoDuca would be my ideal solution, I merely said that I could see him playing here since he does live here in the offseason and is from here. Ideally I still want someone from the Angel's organization as our future catcher because lord knows that we don't have any catching prospects in our farm system worth waiting for.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Fannatick said:
I deffinately don't want Paul Lo Duca in a trade for Javy, no way. Why does everyone want him? He's 33, last was should what he can do. He's not going to put up a .300 BA or over 15 HR's. .283/6/57 is not impressive. I would rather get a SP or something else in return.

I like Juan Pierre, although if we get him what are we going to do with Green, Gonzo and Tracy? With the young talent we have coming up for OF, I dont think we need to trade for one. I do love how he is a true leadoff hitter though.

Anything other than a very good prosect PITCHER for Vasquez is a joke IMO.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fannatick said:

I would say that if we got Pierre this is what our outfield would look like:

RF- Quentin
CF - Pierre
LF - Green

Trade Gonzo

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would rather get pitching prospects for both Glaus and Vazquez.

Trade them both to Boston for Lester, Papelpon, and Pedroia

Trade them to the Philles for Floyd and Myers

Trade them to Tampa for Crawford, Kazmir, and Niemman

Trade them to the White Sox for Brian Anderson, McCarthy, and Garland

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
I would rather get pitching prospects for both Glaus and Vazquez.

Trade them both to Boston for Lester, Papelpon, and Pedroia

Trade them to the Philles for Floyd and Myers

Trade them to Tampa for Crawford, Kazmir, and Niemman

Trade them to the White Sox for Brian Anderson, McCarthy, and Garland

Trade #1 = most logical... the other 3 are just stupid. Why on earth would those teams trade some of their best prospects? Already Garland, Kazmir, and Myers are better than Vazquez. Why would they want to trade cheap talent for expensive talent that is no where near what they are giving up.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Trade #1 = most logical... the other 3 are just stupid. Why on earth would those teams trade some of their best prospects? Already Garland, Kazmir, and Myers are better than Vazquez. Why would they want to trade cheap talent for expensive talent that is no where near what they are giving up.

The White Sox are still interested in Vazquez and with the expected departure of Konerko doubled w/ the loss of Thomas they need a power hitter and may overpay for one.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
The White Sox are still interested in Vazquez and with the expected departure of Konerko doubled w/ the loss of Thomas they need a power hitter and may overpay for one.

Konerko will be a huge loss, but Thomas hasn't been a contributor for like 3 or 4 seasons. I think they are glad to see him go.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
There's a big difference bedtween overpaying for a couple guys and what you mentioned. Garland just finished 6th in the Al in Cy Young voting and makes peanuts while Anderson and McCarthy are two of the best prospects in baseball. This trade scenario is a complete pipe dream.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05