The Matt Leinart era "probably" ends

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The signing of Kurt spells the end of Leinart's era in AZ, before it barely began. Matt will either demand a trade this year, be trading after next season or be cut after this season. I hate that because I really think he can be a special QB, but also love having Warner here 2 more years. Sucks for the kid and I see him ending up in San Fran coming back to haunt us!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Registered
Reaction score
The signing of Kurt spells the end of Leinart's era in AZ, before it barely began. Matt will either demand a trade this year, be trading after next season or be cut after this season. I hate that because I really think he can be a special QB, but also love having Warner here 2 more years. Sucks for the kid and I see him ending up in San Fran coming back to haunt us!!!

I don't think he's going anywhere.

Redbird 78

Reaction score

It's funny you say that because I was just thinking that Leinart is right now wishing that was him visiting the Niners as a free agent.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not going anywhere IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny you say that because I was just thinking that Leinart is right now wishing that was him visiting the Niners as a free agent.

Sounds like something that would have been playing in his mind.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe, what is the cap hit for Leinart for '09 and beyond?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baloney. He stays, and he probably plays a significant amount of time next season. Warner beat the odds by staying healthy all of last season, IMO.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing is officially over until he is traded or is cut. It could begin anew if Warner sucks, is hurt or they decide to extend and restructure Matt regardless.

It's a GOOD problem to have, this QB depth problem we got.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"Look there is a stack of $100 bills laying on the ground."

"I don't want it, there's probably dirt all over them."

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey Joe, what is the cap hit for Leinart for '09 and beyond?

2009 is in the spreadsheet. After that it doesnt matter because its uncapped. After 2009 its just a matter if ownership wants to spend the extra 15 mill, becuase there will be no cap ramifactions in 2010.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Officially:

(adv.) By the proper officer; by virtue of the proper authority; in pursuance of the special powers vested in an officer or office; as, accounts or reports officially vertified or rendered; letters officially communicated; persons officially notified.

There is nothing official about your pure conjecture...

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Reaction score
2009 is in the spreadsheet. After that it doesnt matter because its uncapped. After 2009 its just a matter if ownership wants to spend the extra 15 mill, becuase there will be no cap ramifactions in 2010.

Giving $15 mil to and unknown talent isn't gonna happen.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Giving $15 mil to and unknown talent isn't gonna happen.

Apparently you got Kurt taking us deep in the playoffs (NFC Champ or SB) and not getting hurt next season. Thats the ONLY way Matt isn't starting 2010. Lets just say the odds aint with ya.

How many ASFN bucks do you want to bet Matt is 2010 opening day starter?

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Reaction score
Apparently you got Kurt taking us deep in the playoffs (NFC Champ or SB) and not getting hurt next season. Thats the ONLY way Matt isn't starting 2010. Lets just say the odds aint with ya.

How many ASFN bucks do you want to bet Matt is 2010 opening day starter?

so you think we just gave $19 mil to Kurt for 1 season? :mulli:

Redbird 78

Reaction score

Given the original contract offer, I'd say yes. I can't see how giving Warner more money changed anything, especially given the way the new deal is structured.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think we just gave him 12 million or so for year one with only a 6 million or so cap hit in an uncapped year in case they decide they want to go in another direction.

And if he doesnt take us deep or gets hurt in 09 I can guarandamntee you that he will get cut or told to take a seat in the offseason. Thats why the negotiations went as long as they did. The Cardinals were trying to set themselves up favorably if that is in fact the case.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
One has to have two capable QBs and two capable backs to succeed incase of injury. Just because one starts over the other, that does not mean the other one sucks on a GOOD team. I think the Cardinals have a good team, that Superbowl was no fluke. Leinart knows as Warner, at the most that is just a two year contract and did not Cassel carry the clipboard for like four years and profitted from it. Contracts can be redone and the Cardinals could do so with Leinart preparing to take the reins when the Warner short contract expires and he retires. Leinart knows the system, might be groomed for the spot more than we know and once Warner got going...Leinart did not appear to be upset and for all purposes was a supportive teammate and happy to be with the team. Till things happen which would suggest otherwise, Leinart could still be our quarterback of the future and I think he is far from a bust and has a lot to offer and will hopefully mature and develope more being around someone like Warner

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Reaction score
I think we just gave him 12 million or so for year one with only a 6 million or so cap hit in an uncapped year in case they decide they want to go in another direction.

And if he doesnt take us deep or gets hurt in 09 I can guarandamntee you that he will get cut or told to take a seat in the offseason. Thats why the negotiations went as long as they did. The Cardinals were trying to set themselves up favorably if that is in fact the case.

And then if he does get hurt or told to sit down, to keep Matt we have to redo a huge bonus to keep him. That to me seems hard to do, even though I think the kid can play.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
the number of other NFL teams who need a QB enough to trade for one is shockingly low:

by my quick perusal:

1. Lions -- Culpepper isnt the answer
2. Panthers -- Delhomme is pretty old
3. Bucs - I believe Luke McCown in the starter
4. Jets -- I cant name the starter
5. Jags -- Garrard wasnt good last year
6. Texans -- Schaub hasnt been all that either
7. Vikings -- is Rosenfels the answer?

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
the number of other NFL teams who need a QB enough to trade for one is shockingly low:

by my quick perusal:

1. Lions -- Culpepper isnt the answer
2. Panthers -- Delhomme is pretty old
3. Bucs - I believe Luke McCown in the starter
4. Jets -- I cant name the starter
5. Jags -- Garrard wasnt good last year
6. Texans -- Schaub hasnt been all that either
7. Vikings -- is Rosenfels the answer?

How about calling the Lions and asking for their second round pick (33rd overall). They would fill their biggest need and allow them to keep both of their first round picks to fill other needs (which they have plenty of).

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree.

There is no reason for Leinart to be traded, released, let go, etc., etc. this year. Plus I think there is a good chance that he could be used this year since Warner is old, and there is no doubt he could get injured.

You don't pay HUGE money for an explosive passing game, and then have a sub-par backup plan.

Not to mention a lot of things can change in a year.

I am not saying trading Leinart is something that will not happen, but I would be surprised if it did.

I think Leinart is going to be a very good QB, when he gets his chance, and think his best oppourtunity is here in AZ.

Redbird 78

Reaction score
How about calling the Lions and asking for their second round pick (33rd overall). They would fill their biggest need and allow them to keep both of their first round picks to fill other needs (which they have plenty of).

Why do that? Who backs up Warner? St. Pierre? Has he ever even been in a game?