The Official Bench Edge, Start Hightower Thread

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want Hightower to be the starter but he wasn't all that effective today either.

Yeah, the run game was anemic, at best.

When he's been with us, Edge is at his best in the second half, at around 20 to 25 carries. There's no way he can get that with the way we are throwing the ball and rotating in Hightower. But, Haley and Whis don't seem to want to feed Hightower the ball like he's a workhorse.

So, they need to figure out what the hell they want to do with the run game. If they stick with Edge, he needs more carries so he and the line can wear down the defense. If they go with TH, then they need to drop so many 4 and 5 WR sets and see what the kid can do as "the man". You can't win in the playoffs with no running game, and we've lost our way running the ball.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Yeah, the run game was anemic, at best.

When he's been with us, Edge is at his best in the second half, at around 20 to 25 carries. There's no way he can get that with the way we are throwing the ball and rotating in Hightower. But, Haley and Whis don't seem to want to feed Hightower the ball like he's a workhorse.

So, they need to figure out what the hell they want to do with the run game. If they stick with Edge, he needs more carries so he and the line can wear down the defense. If they go with TH, then they need to drop so many 4 and 5 WR sets and see what the kid can do as "the man". You can't win in the playoffs with no running game, and we've lost our way running the ball.

I'm not sure it would have helped much but the Cardinals did only have ONE healthy tight end today. I'm guessing that was part of the strategy for all the 3-wide and 4-wide sets today. Did you see the jumbo packages with Elton Brown in at tight end?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it would have helped much but the Cardinals did only have ONE healthy tight end today. I'm guessing that was part of the strategy for all the 3-wide and 4-wide sets today. Did you see the jumbo packages with Elton Brown in at tight end?

Yes, I did. But, there's no reason why you CANT at least show the propensity to run out of those sets.

Good run games don't work with two guys getting single digit carries. All I'm saying is we need to pick someone to be the man and stick with him. At least, I think we'd be better off no matter who is starting.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the first time, I agree. Edge is giving us nothing, and that fumble today was atrocious. No reason he should have lost that ball. If someone is going to make crucial mistakes, I'd rather it be the rookie who can still learn from them.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
For the first time, I agree. Edge is giving us nothing, and that fumble today was atrocious. No reason he should have lost that ball. If someone is going to make crucial mistakes, I'd rather it be the rookie who can still learn from them.

I don't remember seeing Edge on the field after that fumble. As Yogi Bear would say, "I don't think Mr. Ranger was very happy." :(

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Our offensive line is the culprit here not Edge... Hightower only avg. 1/2 ypc today. I live Hightower, but he will not fare any better behind this line. We are a passing team and its not going to change anytime soon. You could put Gayle Sayers in his prime on this team and he would avg. 3.1 YPC.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
^nail on the head LC! TH is doing nothing behind the line either what the heck does changing the starter do besides putting KW in more danger of being hit? Sorry not buying that TH is going to give this team a run game. Moving the ball is not our problem anyway we need to be talking about what they can do on DEFENSE thats where we lost the game. The offense was damn near perfect for a Cards team ON THE ROAD can we really ask to score more than we did against a very good Carolina team?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Levi Brown has been awful this year. The O line has been awful in run protection. This Oline needs to get fixed and this team needs a speedy RB.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing Edge on the field after that fumble. As Yogi Bear would say, "I don't think Mr. Ranger was very happy." :(

Good. I hope Todd Haley ripped him a good one.

Like the one he put on Hightower in that video clip "you're not going to play if you don't know what you're doing!!" Then he glared at him ... :eek:

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While the oline has been playing crappy, its certainly not enough to cover Edge's ass for sucking.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No matter what we do at the RB position this season, we will not have a menacing running game. We are a passing team, plain and simple.
Martz? Is that you?
The Cards cannot hope to continue to pass almost exclusively between the 10yd lines & then punch in a hightower every week my friend.
Warner WILL end up on IR & defenses are gonna gameplan them out of their comfort zones eventually.....especially the good teams(like the Panthers).
20 carries per IMO would be a nice round number to balance their offensive attack. Even running a few more HB screens would be a good idea.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Martz? Is that you?
The Cards cannot hope to continue to pass almost exclusively between the 10yd lines & then punch in a hightower every week my friend.
Warner WILL end up on IR & defenses are gonna gameplan them out of their comfort zones eventually.....especially the good teams(like the Panthers).
20 carries per IMO would be a nice round number to balance their offensive attack. Even running a few more HB screens would be a good idea.

Like Carolina didn't think they would see a pass happy Warner? They knew it was coming, and couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Make no mistake, two turnovers and crappy tackling lost this game, we can pass all day long on anyone.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were stacking the line to take the run away because they have one of the best defenses in the league against the pass, they were picking their poison and we kept burning them. If our D stops them at all in the second half we would all be happy today!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, I wanted this done at the beginning of the year when Hightower kept scoring in the preseason.

I also wanted Leinart over Warner. So overall right now it appears that I am 1-1.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Like Carolina didn't think they would see a pass happy Warner? They knew it was coming, and couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Make no mistake, two turnovers and crappy tackling lost this game, we can pass all day long on anyone.
But they did, in the second half they pounded the run,controlled the clock ,gave Warner & co fewer opportunities & won the game.....basically.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
^ Again because our DEFENSE couldn't stop them at all in the second half! The DEFENSE lost this game plain and simple. Hightower starting doesn't do a damn thing for this team, our offense can score on anyone. We need to work on the defense and stop worrying about a rookie RB starting over a proven HOF RB geesh.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Lyle Sendlien while playing admirably as a starter can and should be upgraded. Lutui is about as inconsistent as they come. Dude just isnt playing with any kind of smarts. What is worse is how bad is Elton Brown for not being able to beat Lutui for his starting job. Levi Brown hasnt progressed even 1% since being drafted 1.5 years ago. He is playing at the same exact level as he did in game one of last year IMO.

Combined with a rookie RB not allowed to get any rythm and only being asked to pound it and a slower then slow veteran. Does not make for a good combo.

Retain Gandy. Hope for all hope that Grimm can finally do something with Brown. Push Lutui and Lyle to backup roles by drafting or signing their replacements. Drop Edge. Sign or Draft a speed back to compliment Hightower, a Chris Johnson Type.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
^ Again because our DEFENSE couldn't stop them at all in the second half! The DEFENSE lost this game plain and simple. Hightower starting doesn't do a damn thing for this team, our offense can score on anyone. We need to work on the defense and stop worrying about a rookie RB starting over a proven HOF RB geesh.

Well...:yeahthat:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you are not bothering to read Darren Urban, Kent Somers, Sando and others on this.

Whisenhunt has already begun the shift from Edge to Hightower and we'll see it reflected in the game plan this week or next. Already, last week, Edge got fewer reps in practice and Hightower more.

As soon as the coaches have a little more confidence in Tower's blitz pickup reads, he'll get to be the single back in our spread package and then we'll see if we have a decent keep-them-honest run game. I didn't write this first (this week), Sando did and Somers, Urban and Bickley have penned strong hints of it.

What are you afraid of? That it might work? If it does, you should be thrilled. If it doesn't, then we'll just keep playing Edge more and address the problem next year. Where is the downside to trying to fix a weakness?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
My concerns:

1. Hightower is a rookie
2. Hightower is a hard nosed runner but he isnt speedy or a back that "can make something out of nothing"
3. The o-line is not good at opening holes.
4. Hightower is average at best picking up the blitz
5. Hightower dances too much in space.

Edge is obviosuly not giving the Cards much right now, but I dont believe Hightower starting would do much more than cause Edge to riff the locker room.

I dunno, I guess the back who can best p/u the blitz and make a catch or two out of the backfield is who I want to play. Unfortunatly it appears it will take the combination of Edge, Hightower, and Arrington to accomplish that.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I haven't been on the bench Edge bandwagon....until this weekend.

I didn't even get that fired up when he made his comments earlier last week. But then - to come and drop the ball on the turf like that after running his mouth right all week - after they just scored?!?!??

IMO that play altered the game as I feel like we would have driven down the field and gotten at least three if the success we were having was any indication. After they took away that fumble in a noisy stadium, they had momentum - went to the kill shot - and POOF - game tied.

I also heard him mention that he didn't have the ball yet when he fumbled - almost as if making an excuse.

I wanted him to start for his vet presence and leadership he provided the team. Not because he was setting the world on fire with his running. But now he's proved he is way too narcisstic for the good of the team.

Cut him after the offseason and with his, and Johnson's contract off the books, pay some guys who are going to actually help this running game in the offseason.

And Levi is a travesty - looks to me like a infamous "need" pick. I expect better out of Wisenhunt.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like the move. Hightower runs harder,has a nose for the 1st down marker as well as the endzone. Look,if the CARDS are only gonna run the ball 10 times/game anyway whats the big decision here? It's not like 'Tower can't handle the workload.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't think Edge should be benched, but I do think the carries need to be split about down the middle. As long as we're going to pass between 40-50 times a game I'd also love to see Edge line up at FB sometimes.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whats the worse that can happen....REALLY??? Let me see hmmm TH misses a block and Warner gets pulverized and injured...SEASON OVER! No thanks, AGAIN the offense is rolling don't F with it, work on the damn D!

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I haven't been on the bench Edge bandwagon....until this weekend.

I didn't even get that fired up when he made his comments earlier last week. But then - to come and drop the ball on the turf like that after running his mouth right all week - after they just scored?!?!??

IMO that play altered the game as I feel like we would have driven down the field and gotten at least three if the success we were having was any indication. After they took away that fumble in a noisy stadium, they had momentum - went to the kill shot - and POOF - game tied.

I also heard him mention that he didn't have the ball yet when he fumbled - almost as if making an excuse.

I wanted him to start for his vet presence and leadership he provided the team. Not because he was setting the world on fire with his running. But now he's proved he is way too narcisstic for the good of the team.

Cut him after the offseason and with his, and Johnson's contract off the books, pay some guys who are going to actually help this running game in the offseason.

And Levi is a travesty - looks to me like a infamous "need" pick. I expect better out of Wisenhunt.

Well said!

I keep hoping Levi will make some progress, but it's been very slow in coming. And Edge has really slowed down THIS season. It's like he has hit a wall. It hasn't helped getting very few holes to run through, but his comments last week were ill-advised. After two wins it made him seem very self-centered and selfish. He's done several things that don't point in that direction, but unfortunately the comments were ill-timed and unfortunate.

I do hope Edge picks it up, but this season is undoubtedly his swan song in the desert.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05