The Official Bench Edge, Start Hightower Thread

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And Levi is a travesty - looks to me like a infamous "need" pick. I expect better out of Wisenhunt.

Remember how they tried to say we would actually prefer to draft Levi over Joe Thomas?

lol oh man..

To think that we could've drafted AD or LaRon Landry with that pick.. :(

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Remember how they tried to say we would actually prefer to draft Levi over Joe Thomas?

lol oh man..

To think that we could've drafted AD or LaRon Landry with that pick.. :(

If the coaching staff could run the gameplan Whisenhunt would like to, he might be better off, but Brown's strength doesn't mesh with what the rest of the offense does well.

As for previous drafts? There's always someone better. Let go of that feeling or you're haunting yourself for no good reason.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No kidding so tired of we could have had so and so... LET IT GO! We got who we got and thats it if we could look into the future and take all the AP or Mannings or whomever we can't so we got who we got. Wasn't this a thread about Edge and TH? Edge should remain the starter as long as we are going to be passing more than running the ball! I DO NOT trust TH to not get Warner killed, NO WAY NO HOW, our season rides on Warner so the guy who protects him best is the starter.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Please start Hightower. I need a second RB for fantasy football!!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah sure his pathetic YPC would really help out your fantasy team...his 2.7 is quite impressive...nah not really. I have no idea why the hell you guys think this guy is the answer to any of our running problems. Shoot as bad as Edge has looked a few times this season his YPC is still a yard better than TH. Edge should start hopefully our coach isn't as impatient as you guys geesh, you have to know how to run block for the RB to have success. Be willing to bet even an AP wouldn't run to great behind this line. I am sorry but I have watched every game and when there is a decent hole Edge gets through it fine oh and even better, most of the time when there are NO HOLES he still finds a way to get some positive yards!

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
^Torains coming back soon.

He looked great in camp til he got injured. Not to mention damn near anybody could run behind Denvers line. Give him a shot.

nashman, hush up about hightowers pass blocking.. Edges isn't much better.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
^Sorry to mention Edges' ability to protect our QB, and yes it is MUCH better. I am sorry if i don't agree with some of the alarmists on here and want to let an UNPROVEN rookie try to protect our season (Warner). Still all the TH jockers have yet to give any reason why a supposed fast back in TH only has a 2.7 YPC ...umm and he has a burst for about 2 yards then its gone. Edge is the better back for this team right now imo.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
^Sorry to mention Edges' ability to protect our QB, and yes it is MUCH better. I am sorry if i don't agree with some of the alarmists on here and want to let an UNPROVEN rookie try to protect our season (Warner). Still all the TH jockers have yet to give any reason why a supposed fast back in TH only has a 2.7 YPC ...umm and he has a burst for about 2 yards then its gone. Edge is the better back for this team right now imo.

UNPROVEN rookie?

All he does is get first downs and touchdowns.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UNPROVEN rookie?

All he does is get first downs and touchdowns.

I've been around this board, in various forms, for a decade now. I'd have to say that we've been TERRIBLE, as fans, at evaluating running backs. Easily worse than any other position. In fact, we've been so awful, that I'm now wary of almost any popular opinion on any of our RBs.

I mean, a big push to start a kid the day after he gained 3 yards on 6 carries? That's funny. But, I guess it shows just how pathetic our run game has been over the years that we can get psyched up by so little.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm completely with Nashman; he speaks the truth. Edge should be benched and Tim Hightower should be starting. It's so obvious.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who knows what he could do?
The thing is... we know what Edge can do (or can't)
It hard to gauge what Hightower can do, given the fact that he's had no chance to get into a groove, I'd like to see what he could do given a chance to take the bulk of the carries.

You can't just look at his ypc given the spot carries he gets.
Like I've said before, all the kid does is make first downs and touchdowns.

I'll admit, I'm maybe unfairly biased towards Edge, but the MNF fumble against the Bears, and now this game changing fumble.. coupled with what Edge makes $-wise vs his production, lets just say I'm ready to see plan B.. whatever that may be.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope Whiz is smarter than this. And I am not sure what GROOVE you think any RB on this team is going to get into with us throwing 90% of the time with an Oline that can't run block for crap. But yeah lets change the RB to a rookie that can pound out 1 and 2 yard first downs sounds like a plan. I hope Whiz is smart enough to not mess with the offense since it is the thing that is WORKING on this team. They should be practicing TACKLING all week and not worry about the offense.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
Hope Whiz is smarter than this. And I am not sure what GROOVE you think any RB on this team is going to get into with us throwing 90% of the time with an Oline that can't run block for crap. But yeah lets change the RB to a rookie that can pound out 1 and 2 yard first downs sounds like a plan. I hope Whiz is smart enough to not mess with the offense since it is the thing that is WORKING on this team. They should be practicing TACKLING all week and not worry about the offense.

My question is simple, could Hightower match Edge's 3.5 ypc if he received more carries? Edge isn't producing and it's obvious, what's it going to hurt to try something different? Is the running game going to fall from 29th in the league to 31st?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I don't think either choice is clear cut but I think Hightower has, with his limited touches, shown that he deserves a chance to carry the load. In his very limited time...heck, in just the last two games, he's made plays that I haven't seen Edge make over the last few years. If he's making a big play each game with less than 10 carries, I'm certainly curious to see what he could do with 20 touches.

I'm not saying bench Edge but I think the shift to Hightower should be explored. Edge, I think, should be the complimentary back to Hightower at this point. Much like Bettis was with Parker.

For a feature back that isn't being overworked, Edge's fumbles this year have certainly not been good for my perception of his value.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You do realize that the reason we throw that much is because of our current feature back's ineffectiveness to produce, right?

:mulli:
:yeahthat:

The o-line needs to pick it up with the run blocking, but I feel like with Edge, even when he has huge holes to hit, he NEVER
makes anything happen at the second level anyway, Hightower at least gives us a glimmer that something could happen if he has that same hole.

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The change is in it's process. Relax.

Truer words have rarely been written here recently. The change has begun. The hand-wringing and protestations are a little comical. What we are doing now isn't working so trying something else has little downside.

AND Whisenhunt is now on record saying he's open to the changeover. AND Edge believes he has no future here after his private meeting with Whisenhunt.

Great players like Edge often have to be pushed out the door. They don't ackowledge the lessening of their skills nor the ravages of this brutal game over time. They often lash out in bitterness, proud and defiant to the end.

Hanging on to keep playing the game they love. I see this happening with Edge right now.

Our team, in my opinion, will benefit by accelerating the change to Hightower and I firmly belive Whisenhunt will do so quickly now. We'll see, won't we?

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I think we need to give Hightower around 12-17 carries a game and arrington between 5-7. That would be the best combination.

Edge has lost his edge.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

yes, our offensive players should be practicing tackling. i'm pretty sure the defensive coaches are worrying about he defense and the offensive coaches can make decisions about the offense without shutting down the other side.

and the offense is working TO A POINT. to have true success in this league you have to have at least a semblance of balance. you cannot, week-in and week-out, continue to be a one-trick pony. eventually the run game must be addressed.

now am i saying that i think hightower is the answer? no, i'm not certain of that. he's a 5th round selection from a small school with pedestrian speed (we all think he's fast b/c we compare him to edge, who is likely the slowest halfback in the league at this point). but i am saying that it can't hurt try something new. as for TH's ypc, he's a short yardage back, so his ypc will never be huge b/c he is either stopped by the endzone or by defenses 100% geared to stopping the run.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok so let me get this straight ouchie, TH is a short yardage back I would agree with this, so whats the point of him getting more carries then? Edge picks up 3.5 or more most carries why would we want a short yardage back with less YPC getting more carries? Whatever some people are just down on Edge and calling for a rookie to be the starter over a HOF RB is just dumb, add to that one badly missed block by that rookie and our season could be shot to hell. NO THANKS.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so let me get this straight ouchie, TH is a short yardage back I would agree with this, so whats the point of him getting more carries then? Edge picks up 3.5 or more most carries why would we want a short yardage back with less YPC getting more carries? Whatever some people are just down on Edge and calling for a rookie to be the starter over a HOF RB is just dumb, add to that one badly missed block by that rookie and our season could be shot to hell. NO THANKS.

the HOF running back thing makes me laugh. This isn't pre-knee surgery Edge or even Indy Edge. This is "I'm slower than Cheesebeef who is still recovering from two back surgeries" Edge. Calling others dumb for wanting Edge to sit while continuing to call him a HOF back as if he's still playing at a HOF level just doesn't pass the smell test.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And when I said they should be practicing tackling obviously I meant the D smart guy. I think its dumb that people are assuming TH is going to be able to be a starting RB, from what I have saw he is a decent SHORT YARDAGE back thats it, doesn't have blazing speed despite what some might think. Pardon me for not wanting to screw with the offense that is WORKING FINE coming into the biggest 3 games of the season, do what we do and worry about tweaking things once we have a stranglehold on the division!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And when I said they should be practicing tackling obviously I meant the D smart guy. I think its dumb that people are assuming TH is going to be able to be a starting RB, from what I have saw he is a decent SHORT YARDAGE back thats it, doesn't have blazing speed despite what some might think. Pardon me for not wanting to screw with the offense that is WORKING FINE coming into the biggest 3 games of the season, do what we do and worry about tweaking things once we have a stranglehold on the division!

He has at least 2 gears that Edge doesn't have. There have been a handful of runs where you could say that Edge wouldn't have scored that TH has. His touchdown last week is one example.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05