The Official Star Wars Episode III thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Sorry you lost me. The author of DUNE?

A crack about Lucas plagiarism I guess. :shrug:

Yep. Apparently (though I've never checked) Lucas was sued successfully for copyright violations. I've never read the Dune books, but I'm told they have quite similar story lines. :shrug:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Yep. Apparently (though I've never checked) Lucas was sued successfully for copyright violations. I've never read the Dune books, but I'm told they have quite similar story lines. :shrug:

I never heard he was successfully sued, but I've heard that he had to alter his original script in order for it to be accepted by the studio - because they were worried that it was too much like Dune (published in the 60's I believe). Who knows? Lucas has always been pretty open about the fact that he "borrowed" from many different genres when making his films. What's funny is Lucas threatening a lawsuit against Battlestar Galactica back in the day.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I saw this last night. It was as good as Empire and better than the other episodes. I did this different than I would other films. As a kid I saw "Star Wars when I was 10. 7 kids and one uncle crammed into his VW Bug to go to the Drive-In theatre. That was a great memory from my childhood. So last night I took my 7, 9, 10. and 12 year old to the Drive-In at 101 and Mckellips. With Lightsabers in tow we enjoyed the show under the stars and the occasional Flight over our heads into the airport and the sneak listen to the Suns Win. This turned out to be a great and memorable family night out that I think my kids will take with them as a childhood memory. But they just had to cram into a MiniVan instead of a VW. :D

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rats said:
I saw this last night. It was as good as Empire and better than the other episodes.

I concur. This was a great SW movie, and after seeing it twice, for me it ranks #2 right behind Empire as well. The lines that Obi Wan throws at the dying Anakin are as good as Yoda's monologue in Empire about the force, IMO.

BTW, fantastic way to enjoy the movie with the family! I didn't realize that drive in was still in service! Is the quality good there? How about the sound? Interesting!

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
vince56 said:
I concur. This was a great SW movie, and after seeing it twice, for me it ranks #2 right behind Empire as well. The lines that Obi Wan throws at the dying Anakin are as good as Yoda's monologue in Empire about the force, IMO.

BTW, fantastic way to enjoy the movie with the family! I didn't realize that drive in was still in service! Is the quality good there? How about the sound? Interesting!
Sound is provided thru 98.3 FM so it depends on your vehicle and or boombox....it really was great. I was worried there would be a huge line of cars to get in but there were only about 150 in the lot with no lines. It ended up being a pleasant evening temp wise and no bugs. I would recommed it for nostalgic minded people but A/c and surround sound can't really be beat in the long run. But for a movie like Star Wars it fit the bill. :thumbup:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it today, and I was blown away guys...

Yeah, dialog was the same old lame stuff Lucas writes...but there was some good stuff in there.

I had tears in my eyes when Anakin marched into the temple. And again at the end when all the pieces fell into place for A New Hope.

It's amazing how much seeing this movie makes you want to watch the original three right when you get home.

My wife and I were talking on the way home, and it's almost like 3-6 are the movies you should watch, or want to show to your kids when they are old enough to see them someday.

Those four are so amazing, you don't even need the first two. A bit of background from them and you're okay.

Anyways, I want to see it again...

One question for all you Star Wars nuts out there...why does a Jedi become more powerful in death? Like Yoda told Obi Wan at the end about Qui Gon and the netherlands, whatever...so in A New Hope, obviously Obi Wan gets struck down and becomes more powerful.

Well, all he really does is help Luke find Yoda and get trained...but what else?

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just saw it a 2nd time, and I have a couple thoughts...

*******SPOILERS**********

1) The script is the worst of all 6 movies. Phantom Menace comes close, but there are so many horrible lines. I don't think Natalie Portman had one good, realistic line in the whole film. As I said before, it's just lucky that they are delivered fairly well. Unfortunately, the whole Darth Vader thing was almost completely ruined by his, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when Sidious tells him he had killed Padme.

2) Regarding the Qui-Gon thing--when Organa interrupts what appears to be Yoda "chanting" to tell him that Obi-Wan has arrived, there was a scene in the script leading to that--it was Yoda "speaking" to Qui-Gon, which led of course to Yoda telling Obi-Wan that you can talk to the dead Jedi. Which of course led even further to Luke's ability to speak with Obi-Wan after he died (in Return of the Jedi).

3) Interesting how there is a lot of mention how Anakin is "the Chosen One" when we all know it wasn't Anakin who was, it was actually Luke who would become the Chosen One.

4) Tying up all the loose threads was done pretty well.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Just saw it a 2nd time, and I have a couple thoughts...

3) Interesting how there is a lot of mention how Anakin is "the Chosen One" when we all know it wasn't Anakin who was, it was actually Luke who would become the Chosen One.

Incorrect. Anakin remained "the chosen one" because he's the one that ultimatley destroys the Sith (he just went on a weird way to get there).

Remember it was Anakin that killed the Emporer not Luke.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Incorrect. Anakin remained "the chosen one" because he's the one that ultimatley destroys the Sith (he just went on a weird way to get there).

Exactly, I was just about to say that.

Anakin is still the chosen one.

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

If it were not for Luke, he would have never have killed the Emperor. And besides, Luke was the one that brought balance to the force--permeated by the dark side, Luke brought the light side and that's what allowed Vader to throw the Emperor down the whatever-it-was tube.

But it's just semantics.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
If it were not for Luke, he would have never have killed the Emperor. And besides, Luke was the one that brought balance to the force--permeated by the dark side, Luke brought the light side and that's what allowed Vader to throw the Emperor down the whatever-it-was tube.

But it's just semantics.

The thing is, Vader/Anakin is almost and I may be correct here, the only character to appear in all 6 movies. Of course the droids, but who's counting them?

Obi-Wan too I guess, but we're not talking about him.

The movies are about him. Luke is there for three of the films, much like Padme for the first three, etc.

But the movies are about Anakin and I think it's made pretty clear that he is the chosen one.

Just me though...

Mike

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Mike. These movies are all about Anakin's fall and redemption. After thinking about it for a couple of days, I honestly think this was my favorite out of the 6. Maybe it is because of the emotion or something. You really see a character fall who wasn't supposed to and its almost sad. The Anakin and Obi Wan fight at the end is amazing. And for the "bad script" that Chaplin talks about, I think the exchange between Anakin and Obi Wan from the second Obi Wan gets off the ship at the end, all throughout the fight, and then as Anakin slips into the lava, is perhaps the greatest moments off all 6. Great movie. Some will rip it apart because they are too punk rock for it, but this was a great movie, hands down.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't see how this one is as bad as Phantom Menace...

"Excuse me Qui-Gon sir, what are midiclorians?"

Kill me now...that movie was awful...

Mike

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, considering Vader brought way more balance than Skywalker did, I'd say Anakin definitely was the chosen one. Balance doesn't mean the good side has all the power and all the Jedi...balance is evenness, i.e., two sith, two jedi.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always believed that Return of the Jedi wasn't referring to Luke's return but Vader's. Haven't seen the third one yet - but Vader is the only one that could kill the Emperor - he was the only one who could bring balance to the Force IMO.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I always believed that Return of the Jedi wasn't referring to Luke's return but Vader's. Haven't seen the third one yet - but Vader is the only one that could kill the Emperor - he was the only one who could bring balance to the Force IMO.

Actually, as it turns out, he's not the only one who could kill the emperor. He just decided not to make the movie blunder of running a monologue before he decides to kill him :D

:jedi:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Of course the droids, but who's counting them?

C'mon now - don't discount the droids. Kenny Baker and Anthony Daniels are the only two actors to appear in all 6 films. R2 and Threepio rock. :D

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
*********SPOILERS**************

Chaplin said:

2) Regarding the Qui-Gon thing--when Organa interrupts what appears to be Yoda "chanting" to tell him that Obi-Wan has arrived, there was a scene in the script leading to that--it was Yoda "speaking" to Qui-Gon, which led of course to Yoda telling Obi-Wan that you can talk to the dead Jedi. Which of course led even further to Luke's ability to speak with Obi-Wan after he died (in Return of the Jedi).

What I wondered is; If Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon learned to live on through the force after death by some training when did Anakin receive this training to appear at the end of Jedi?

I also agree that Anakin was clearly the chosen one. He is the main character of the series and does bring balance to the force (after tilting it from the Jedi to the Sith and back again to a single remaining Jedi) by saving Luke and destroying Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George says:

"Which brings us to films 4, 5 and 6, where Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe."
--George Lucas

"Anakin is the Chosen One and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."
--George Lucas

:jedi:

Personally, I've always seen Return of the Jedi to be the return of Anakin Skywalker from the dark side. Which is why the placement of a young Anakin (Christensen) at the end of ROTJ makes no sense. Lucas said something about it showing Anakin back when he was good...hello? He just redeemed himself and shared a touching moment with his son and you're gonna throw that out the window and show a young Anakin instead of a healthy older Anakin, finally back where he belongs?

:computer:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
"Excuse me Qui-Gon sir, what are midi-chlorians?"

Kill me now...that movie was awful...

Mike

You think that's bad - check out Lucas' comments on "midi-chlorians." :barf:

"It was a virgin birth in an ecosystem of symbiotic relationships. It means that between the Force, which is sort of a life force, and reality, the connectors between these two things are what we call Midi-chlorians. They're kind of based on mitochondria, which are a completely different animal, that live inside every single cell and allow it to live, allow it to reproduce, allow life to exist. They also, in their own way, communicate with the Force itself. The more you have, the more your cells are able to speak intuitively to the Force itself and use the powers of the Force. Ultimately, I would say the Force itself created Anakin. I don't want to get into specific terms of labeling things to make it one religion or another, but basically that's one of the foundations of the hero's journey."
--George Lucas

"The midi-chlorians have brought Anakin into being as 'the Chosen One' who brings balance to the universe."
--George Lucas

:|

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sort of think Return of the Jedi means that they are once again back in control of things...the Sith are gone.

However, it could also mean the return of Anakin to the good side.

I don't like "Revenge of the Sith" though...I think a better title would have been "Rise of the Sith" or something like that.

What are they getting revenge for?

Mike