The Official Still Hating on Shawn Marion thread.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
And some of us thought we'd miss Shawn's rebounding...

It is just unbelievable how much of a difference Shaq has made on the boards. He blocks out one and two guys every time it goes up, and pulled down 14 rebounds himself tonight. I can't remember the last time I saw the Suns get 18 more rebounds than the other team - it must be years ago.

I really like what I'm seeing - for some reason I'm not missing Shawn very much. :)

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
shaq's intangibles showed up on the boards too...grant hill had 13, for example.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
It is just unbelievable how much of a difference Shaq has made on the boards. He blocks out one and two guys every time it goes up, and pulled down 14 rebounds himself tonight. I can't remember the last time I saw the Suns get 18 more rebounds than the other team - it must be years ago.

I really like what I'm seeing - for some reason I'm not missing Shawn very much. :)

It's funny you mention that. Marion would always give the Suns lots of rebounds personally but they were more opportunistic boards, and not the traditional kind you get by planting a big man in the paint so he can establish rebounding position.

I was amused that Shaq was boxing Celtics players out two and in some cases three at a time--he really is that enormous--and the net effect was that either he would get the board, or another Suns player would. Hell, Grant Hill got a ton of rebounds tonight because of Shaq's presence.

I think a lot of "analysts" and trade-naysayers were eager to do a numbers to numbers comparison of Shaq vs. Marion, never taking into account that Shaq makes the entire team better at rebounding. I saw Shaq shooting free throws and in the background on the ESPN feed you could see D'Antoni smiling (something he doesn't do much during games, as we all know) and joking around. D'Antoni knew that his team had turned the corner.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The rebounds Marion normally would get have been picked up by Hill, Diaw, Bell, Stat and even Nash. The rebounds that normally would go to the other team now belong to Shaq.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
The rebounds Marion normally would get have been picked up by Hill, Diaw, Bell, Stat and even Nash. The rebounds that normally would go to the other team now belong to Shaq.

Exactly.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Nash had 7 boards. Shaq makes a big difference and its not even a fluke.

sunsbo

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, its hard to imagine the suns out rebounding a team by 12 when nash gets one more rebound than amare. Everyone was hitting the boards tonight.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
It's funny you mention that. Marion would always give the Suns lots of rebounds personally but they were more opportunistic boards, and not the traditional kind you get by planting a big man in the paint so he can establish rebounding position.

You are absolutely right. But I still miss the Matrix anway.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Yeah it is nice to see KG getting only 5 boards in 32 minutes, even if its only his 3rd game back from injury. The celtics arent any team either. The shaq/amare/hill combo has been great on the boards. I cant recall seeing shaq move like that recently, blocking rondos shot coming from the weak side, amazing old man that shaq. Im a shawn marion fan, but the trade appears to be a stroke of genius. All those experts were wrong, 90% of them though it was a terrible trade. Its nice to see Walton eat crow while the suns beat his celtics. If shaq continues like this it will be so nice to see all those ESPN/TNT guys eat massive servings of crow. KG wasnt back, but the suns played just about the entire game without LB, and were very sloppy with the ball(24 turnovers). I can see some big improvement when they learn to play with the diesel on offense better.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah it is nice to see KG getting only 5 boards in 32 minutes, even if its only his 3rd game back from injury. The celtics arent any team either. The shaq/amare/hill combo has been great on the boards. I cant recall seeing shaq move like that recently, blocking rondos shot coming from the weak side, amazing old man that shaq. Im a shawn marion fan, but the trade appears to be a stroke of genius. All those experts were wrong, 90% of them though it was a terrible trade. Its nice to see Walton eat crow while the suns beat his celtics. If shaq continues like this it will be so nice to see all those ESPN/TNT guys eat massive servings of crow. KG wasnt back, but the suns played just about the entire game without LB, and were very sloppy with the ball(24 turnovers). I can see some big improvement when they learn to play with the diesel on offense better.

It is pretty funny that the Suns have been ridiculed for years for not having a center and then ridiculed further for acquiring a former MVP center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing is the FT % is going to take a nose dive...

Yes, but the Suns should be getting to the FT line more often which should negate this negative.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
who cares about team free throw percentage? the suns have been at the top of the league for a couple years and that hasn't really done much for them

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
I saw Skinner and I notice he plays too far from the basket. Shaq just sits under that net on defense. Skinner and Amare have a tendency to get away from the basket so they can't get those easy loose rebs off the basket.

Shaq is old and won't be able to play all the time, or in every game. Skinner and Amare need to CRASH THE BOARDS more too, I think.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I am a Shawn Marion fan and I was skeptical at first about the deal, but I have to admit that since this trade went down, I have not missed him once. Shaq opens up so many possibilities that were missing before. Plus, any perception of chemistry issues in the lockerroom is gone and this group seems pretty close and motivated. They seem as stoked as I am.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05