The Official US Soccer thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sweet only downside is I would have made chap or zeno rock an azzurii avatar. I think you would enjoy that. You better hope Ghana doesn't beat the US in game 1 or you are toast. Even if they tie Ghana they won't beat either Portugal of Germany best they could do is draw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You give Portugal too much credit. They are definitely vulnerable. Not sure they are vulnerable against our group of Misfit Toys, but they aren't an automatic lock to beat us.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You give Portugal too much credit. They are definitely vulnerable. Not sure they are vulnerable against our group of Misfit Toys, but they aren't an automatic lock to beat us.

Portugal is the 3rd ranked team in the world and only lost once in qualifying. Yes I am giving them enough credit to be the heavy favorite against the US.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Portugal is the 3rd ranked team in the world and only lost once in qualifying. Yes I am giving them enough credit to be the heavy favorite against the US.

They also only had draws against Northern Ireland and Israel at HOME. They are no doubt talented but have holes.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
They also only had draws against Northern Ireland and Israel at HOME. They are no doubt talented but have holes.

True. The first set of games will tell the tale of the table. If US draws or losses and Portugal and Germany draw its all over. No doubt Portugal and Germany will destroy Ghana. I think the best the US can do is draw Portugal and they have almost no chance to gain a point against Germany.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
True. The first set of games will tell the tale of the table. If US draws or losses and Portugal and Germany draw its all over. No doubt Portugal and Germany will destroy Ghana. I think the best the US can do is draw Portugal and they have almost no chance to gain a point against Germany.

I give them a slightly higher chance than you do. If Germany beats Portugal and Ghana, you have to hope they would have the top seed locked up by the time they play the US. Maybe they rest starters/players with yellow cards. Granted their B team is probably better than the US, but that's the best scenario IMO. The US has to beat Ghana and draw Portugal though.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I give them a slightly higher chance than you do. If Germany beats Portugal and Ghana, you have to hope they would have the top seed locked up by the time they play the US. Maybe they rest starters/players with yellow cards. Granted their B team is probably better than the US, but that's the best scenario IMO. The US has to beat Ghana and draw Portugal though.

I agree. Sometimes things get a little weird with those euro teams. Portugal and Germany could have a little gentlemen agreement to draw game 1 and then beat up on the inferior teams. Especially if the US and Ghana draw. I don't remember now which game starts first.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Flat out dumb? So I guess dillusional thinking is wise around here now. Let's start some old guys just for a slim shot at getting out of group instead of putting the young guys on the roster to see how they hold up on the biggest stage. If you are comparing the gold cup and copa to the WC in terms of pressure play then your thinking is flat out dumb. It makes no sense to have Donovan on a team that won't compete for the cup when in 4 years he will be on ESPN doing analyst work.

My god you sound like a broken record. Just one that doesn't say anything of value.

You don't go into a WORLD CUP preparing for next time. You just don't. That's an insult to the other teams, the teams that didn't make it, the fans and the players.

Donovan is the player I would want near the end of a tight game. Not Dempsey, not Bradley. How you can't see that is beyond me.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
My god you sound like a broken record. Just one that doesn't say anything of value.

You don't go into a WORLD CUP preparing for next time. You just don't. That's an insult to the other teams, the teams that didn't make it, the fans and the players.

Donovan is the player I would want near the end of a tight game. Not Dempsey, not Bradley. How you can't see that is beyond me.

If you think countries who know they can't win don't give caps to their younger players to gain experience for the next 4 years you must not watch a lot of WCs. I'm looking at it from the perspective of being objective. I follow the team because I live in the US but its not my team. Donovans best days are far behind him. They are so far behind him he was very close to retirement. If you think he was gonna do what he did 4 years ago you are dillusional. Only time he has been relevant has been the gold cup which is equivalent to AAA baseball.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you think countries who know they can't win don't give caps to their younger players to gain experience for the next 4 years you must not watch a lot of WCs. I'm looking at it from the perspective of being objective. I follow the team because I live in the US but its not my team. Donovans best days are far behind him. They are so far behind him he was very close to retirement. If you think he was gonna do what he did 4 years ago you are dillusional. Only time he has been relevant has been the gold cup which is equivalent to AAA baseball.

Well I haven't missed any World Cup game since 1990, buy thanks for the concern. You give caps and experience for sure, but no team just turns up to experiment for the future. Go on. Go and find me all these teams that have just played youth for future WCs. There must be loads of them according to you.

Do that for some friendlies and qualifying. Do it in Gold Cup or Confed cup.

Nobody is claiming Donovan is as good as he was. We're saying he brings something that can't be measured. The fact that you referenced some random player ranking system earlier shows me you don't really get the game. Stick to baseball. Easier to measure.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Well I haven't missed any World Cup game since 1990, buy thanks for the concern. You give caps and experience for sure, but no team just turns up to experiment for the future. Go on. Go and find me all these teams that have just played youth for future WCs. There must be loads of them according to you.

Do that for some friendlies and qualifying. Do it in Gold Cup or Confed cup.

Nobody is claiming Donovan is as good as he was. We're saying he brings something that can't be measured. The fact that you referenced some random player ranking system earlier shows me you don't really get the game. Stick to baseball. Easier to measure.

I'll give you a team...England. England is going with one of their youngest teams ever after 2010 which was one of the oldest. They know they need this team to come together to be ready to make a cup run in 18. Also I was using the player ranking as a baseline for how he is perceived to those who aren't all over the US jock wearing the pink hats. Talk down to me all you want but you just come off looking like a jackass. Believe what you want but Donovan would not take this team to anything. They didn't need him for WCQ why would they now? You want to throw roses at a player who didn't want to put in the work that most the others did then so be it. Don't matter anyway US will be 3 games and done.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'll give you a team...England. England is going with one of their youngest teams ever after 2010 which was one of the oldest. They know they need this team to come together to be ready to make a cup run in 18. Also I was using the player ranking as a baseline for how he is perceived to those who aren't all over the US jock wearing the pink hats. Talk down to me all you want but you just come off looking like a jackass. Believe what you want but Donovan would not take this team to anything. They didn't need him for WCQ why would they now? You want to throw roses at a player who didn't want to put in the work that most the others did then so be it. Don't matter anyway US will be 3 games and done.

Well you pretty much made my point for me. England aren't going for 2018 with this team. The fans here are actually excited that there is some young talent for once, but nobody is expecting them to roll over. Gerrard is still captain. Lampard is still there. Lambert . . . Name me all these England players selected because of youth. Please show me the truth. Or is that there are just plenty of good younger players right now.

I talk down to you because time and time again you show yourself to be a novice at following the beautiful game, yet try to act as an expert.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Well you pretty much made my point for me. England aren't going for 2018 with this team. The fans here are actually excited that there is some young talent for once, but nobody is expecting them to roll over. Gerrard is still captain. Lampard is still there. Lambert . . . Name me all these England players selected because of youth. Please show me the truth. Or is that there are just plenty of good younger players right now.

I talk down to you because time and time again you show yourself to be a novice at following the beautiful game, yet try to act as an expert.

Hold on while I throw up as you call it the beautiful game. Its the pretentious like you why US isn't fully caught up in terms of popularity.

Since you are in england I'm sure you have heard as much as me about the snubs of Defoe and Cole because they are going younger. Cole is equal to Donovan as a snub and I dont see the uproar here. Read the article below where it clearly states them going younger to gain expierence for Euro 16.

http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-Worl...ternational-football-after-england-squad-snub

Him saying its in the back of his mind not the front is coach speak for we will do as well as we can but we want euro 16.

Last edited:

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Showing your ignorance again. The beautiful game is pretty much the most common nickname for the sport. Not something I just came up with.

As for Cole. Most people aren't too bothered. Baines has been the first choice LB for a while now. Cole has barely played and people don't really care. Defoe (who I think should go) hasn't been snubbed. In fact, if he was selected most fans here would be angry as he plays in a Mickley Mouse league (not my words).

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You also linked to sky sports. Pretty much the bargain basement of sports journalism.

Please enlighten me to all the youngsters who don't deserve to go. Besides Welbeck who is selected on who he plays for.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Showing your ignorance again. The beautiful game is pretty much the most common nickname for the sport. Not something I just came up with.

As for Cole. Most people aren't too bothered. Baines has been the first choice LB for a while now. Cole has barely played and people don't really care. Defoe (who I think should go) hasn't been snubbed. In fact, if he was selected most fans here would be angry as he plays in a Mickley Mouse league (not my words).

I know the nickname it is just flat out pretentious and I hate it. I think shaw Barkley and Chamberlain. 2 based on rawness and the other based on his injuries keeping him out of WCQ.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You also linked to sky sports. Pretty much the bargain basement of sports journalism.

Please enlighten me to all the youngsters who don't deserve to go. Besides Welbeck who is selected on who he plays for.

What site do you prefer goal? Soccer lens? Football365? Its not like the article was an OP it was direct quotes.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

So you were not born here or a citizen of the US? Then your ignorance of the USMNT explains a lot.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know the nickname it is just flat out pretentious and I hate it. I think shaw Barkley and Chamberlain. 2 based on rawness and the other based on his injuries keeping him out of WCQ.

Who would go in their place? They've all been great (Ox more on his potential to change a game) this season. You can't tell me who has missed out because of them. It's becoming embarrassing for you right now.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Who would go in their place? They've all been great (Ox more on his potential to change a game) this season. You can't tell me who has missed out because of them. It's becoming embarrassing for you right now.

Cole should have went for shaw and Defoe should have gone instead of Barkley.

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
So you were not born here or a citizen of the US? Then your ignorance of the USMNT explains a lot.

I was my family was born in Italy. I've been following USMNT for over 20 years.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What site do you prefer goal? Soccer lens? Football365? Its not like the article was an OP it was direct quotes.

Well I've never heard of most of those sites. Anyway, Roy didn't say what you implied at all. He admitted they're young, but he couldn't of picked a much stronger group. It just happens there's a lot of good younger players right now.

The only older player you've come up with is Cole who wasn't snubbed. Baines was always going to start (and he's not exactly young either). Cole was allowed to retire and take the dignified route out when he knew he would be first choice. But you knew all that of course.

Are you American or Italian? Just wondering.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cole should have went for shaw and Defoe should have gone instead of Barkley.

I . . . I . . . What?

I've just said about Cole. He wouldn't want to go just to sit.

As for Barkley . . .

1 - he's had an amazing year. Clearly you don't watch much Prem.

2 - HE PLAYS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POSITION TO DEFOE! They weren't interchangeable. Roy wasn't going to take 5 strikers. Plus, not many here value MLS. Even though I think he should go instead of Welbeck.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I . . . I . . . What?

I've just said about Cole. He wouldn't want to go just to sit.

As for Barkley . . .

1 - he's had an amazing year. Clearly you don't watch much Prem.

2 - HE PLAYS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POSITION TO DEFOE! They weren't interchangeable. Roy wasn't going to take 5 strikers. Plus, not many here value MLS. Even though I think he should go instead of Welbeck.

Cole would come In as a sub he wouldn't sit every game and he has had a good year obviously I watch more serie A than prem so I was basing more on stats and things I've read. They could have gone 5 and 5 MF and FW will welbeck having the ability to drop back.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Well I've never heard of most of those sites. Anyway, Roy didn't say what you implied at all. He admitted they're young, but he couldn't of picked a much stronger group. It just happens there's a lot of good younger players right now.

The only older player you've come up with is Cole who wasn't snubbed. Baines was always going to start (and he's not exactly young either). Cole was allowed to retire and take the dignified route out when he knew he would be first choice. But you knew all that of course.

Are you American or Italian? Just wondering.

I am a 2nd generation american my grandparents were born in Sicily. I'm an american citizen with deep roots to Italy. As a boy I had youth Olympic tryouts before I busted both ankles which then turned my love for soccer from playing to following.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cole would come In as a sub he wouldn't sit every game and he has had a good year obviously I watch more serie A than prem so I was basing more on stats and things I've read. They could have gone 5 and 5 MF and FW will welbeck having the ability to drop back.

I'm gonna start pulling hair out soon. Cole didn't want that. He chose to retire rather than possibly play a few minutes when England are winning. You don't just sub on a left back to change the game. He would only play if Baines got injured. He knew that and took the dignified route out. There's no doubt Hodgson made it clear to him from the start. Plus, as I said, he's barely played.

As for taking more strikers. That was never going to happen. Never. You need to get this idea that Defoe was snubbed out of your head. Hopefully Welbeck will get injured in the next few days and they'll call him up. But he plays for a certain team which unfortunately elevates him in manager's eyes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake