The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Furthermore, I am wondering about Cameron's handle at the end of the game. Yes the ball clearly hit his hand, but it wasn't intentional. His hand was completely down to his side. They said it would have been a red card, but I thought that hand balls had to be intentional or deliberate?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I think he is a realist. Do you think that they can win?

:biglaugh:

Haha absolutely not I fought with a few here who were thought it is ludicrous to think he could be playing for 18. This clears up all doubt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is even more foolish when reality says this team is actually OLDER than the 2010 team was in average age. They mentioned it during last nights broadcast.

Lets face it Dempsey 31, Davis 32, Beasley 32, Wondolowski 31, Beckerman 32, Jones 32, Howard 35, Rimando 34 are all on their last WC roster. If we were playing for 2018 none of them would be there this summer.
The "playing for 2018" trope has reached zombie status.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha absolutely not I fought with a few here who were thought it is ludicrous to think he could be playing for 18. This clears up all doubt.

Yeah, I read it all and I didn't agree with most of what you said about Donovan.

I honestly don't think Klinsmann thinks we can win 2018 either.

When our best athletes choose soccer first, second, or even third, we will have a chance.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Yeah, I read it all and I didn't agree with most of what you said about Donovan.

When our best athletes choose soccer first, second, or even third, we will have a chance.

I agree with you on the last paragraph. My main point on Donovan was there is no reason for him to be here if JK believes there is no chance and wants green on the roster. Obviously everyone has their own opinion which is perfectly respectable.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on the last paragraph. My main point on Donovan was there is no reason for him to be here if JK believes there is no chance and wants green on the roster. Obviously everyone has their own opinion which is perfectly respectable.

You don't make any sense. Using that logic, the USA might as well forfeit.

You should field your best team and he hasn't according to most people.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You don't make any sense. Using that logic, the USA might as well forfeit.

You should field your best team and he hasn't according to most people.

I don't make sense? I'm just telling you what JK is doing. You want to say that about him fine he is your coach. I think he is right but whatever. If you don't have a chance to win WHICH YOUR OWN COACH SAYS YOU DON'T then build for the future which is what he is doing.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't make sense? I'm just telling you what JK is doing. You want to say that about him fine he is your coach. I think he is right but whatever. If you don't have a chance to win WHICH YOUR OWN COACH SAYS YOU DON'T then build for the future which is what he is doing.

Flawed logic, in reality there are maybe 5 teams who have a shot at winning this summer. Everyone else should just play for 2018 too.

But why argue with a guy who doesn't support the country of his birth/citizenship and refers to JK as "your own coach" further distancing himself.

You never go full ******.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Flawed logic, in reality there are maybe 5 teams who have a shot at winning this summer. Everyone else should just play for 2018 too.

But why argue with a guy who doesn't support the country of his birth/citizenship and refers to JK as "your own coach" further distancing himself.

You never go full ******.

Support as in a soccer team? like I'm some traitor to my country learn some perspective. I dont live in AZ should I not be a cards or suns fan? You logic is flawed.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Support as in a soccer team? like I'm some traitor to my country learn some perspective. I dont live in AZ should I not be a cards or suns fan? You logic is flawed.

It is more than just a "soccer team". It is a matter of National pride. Do you support Italy in the Olympics too?

Lack of loyalty and respect.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

It is more than just a "soccer team". It is a matter of National pride. Do you support Italy in the Olympics too?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

Nope I support the US in the olympics. I guess if you didn't grow up in my shoes you wouldn't understand the love for Italian soccer I was brought up with. Trust me I am far from the only one here. There are dozens of bars not only in providence but Boston too in the north end that pack in the Italia fans for WC. Its been a tradition for years while my grandfather was still alive. I would rather disrespect you than him.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Even if your best athletes choose soccer first you would not stand a chance.

1. the sport is way more skill based and stamina based, raw athleticism is relatively useless

2. the US development system, youth setup and college is horrid compared to european pro clubs where kids start at a young age and go to a club funded school that is focused on education while also training every day.

3. You don't have the coaching expertise and know-how to develop these players

I don't think these is a single knowledgable person who thinks the USA can win in 2014 or 2018 or 2022 for that matter.

Klinsmann openly saying this is just to prepare for the media when the USA drop out after the group stages which is likely.

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
How have you found Italy's WC preparations . . . ?

Very uneasy to put it mildly. They have not looked their best since qualifying. On the one hand they have only lost once in their last 7 and it was to Spain. But in typical Italian fashion they haven't won either they have drawn all other 6. The things Italy has going for them is marchisio and balotelli. Super Mario had chances to finish against Luxembourg but couldn't. I like their chances to leave group seeing as Costa Rica has zero shot and England is very young but past that will take some great back line play with timely chances and finishing those chances.

Hopefully this last draw against Luxembourg will wake them up heading into Brazil. Prandelli really needs to bang into these guys how to cover set pieces because that is where they will get beat looks like a lack of focus. If they beat Costa Rica and draw the other 2 which is possible since they play Uruguay last who could rest guys then I think that will be enough to advance.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooo you guys still think JK is playing to win this year?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/world-cup-klinsmann-united-states-cant-win

This is the entire interview and not just a few targeted quotes which ironically is the American thing to do:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/m...ter-and-less-american.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

I found it very interesting.

Honestly I know nothing about American World Cup Soccer other than we suck. Didn't even know who Donovan was until I read this article. However with my son now playing club soccer I'm a bit more interested in the World Cup. Curious to see what the American team does under this new coach.

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is the entire interview and not just a few targeted quotes which ironically is the American thing to do:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/m...ter-and-less-american.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Honestly I know nothing about American World Cup Soccer other than we suck. Didn't even know who Donovan was until I read this article. However with my son now playing club soccer I'm a bit more interested in the World Cup. Curious to see what the American team does under this new coach.

That was a good read, thanks for linking it. The New Yorker had a piece on Klinsmann a few days ago as well.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo.../06/jurgen-klinsmann-world-cup-ambitions.html

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The US doesn't suck. The problem many fans of US sports have at understanding football is to think that if you aren't in the top couple in the world you must suck. They aren't in the top few in the world, but when most countries in the world play the game, to be in the top 25/20 teams is not bad at all.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Even if your best athletes choose soccer first you would not stand a chance.

1. the sport is way more skill based and stamina based, raw athleticism is relatively useless

2. the US development system, youth setup and college is horrid compared to european pro clubs where kids start at a young age and go to a club funded school that is focused on education while also training every day.

3. You don't have the coaching expertise and know-how to develop these players

I don't think these is a single knowledgable person who thinks the USA can win in 2014 or 2018 or 2022 for that matter.

Klinsmann openly saying this is just to prepare for the media when the USA drop out after the group stages which is likely.

Yay! Slin is back to educate us all about how the US are crap. I do miss your insights into the game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The US doesn't suck. The problem many fans of US sports have at understanding football is to think that if you aren't in the top couple in the world you must suck. They aren't in the top few in the world, but when most countries in the world play the game, to be in the top 25/20 teams is not bad at all.

You are probably correct. Again I have never followed the sport before and to be honest, mocked the sport in the past out of my own ignorance. So it's probably unfair for me to say they suck when I may only have seen them play once in my lifetime and for the rest I'm just going off second hand info.

However as I mentioned before my 7 year old son is really into soccer. Believe it or not I even helped coach his team one season. So I kind of have a new and fresh view on the sport. This will be the first time that I actively sit down and watch the World Cup on purpose.

My sons new coach had each of the players on his new team pick 3 World Cup teams out of the hat. His job is to follow the teams he picked and if one of his teams wins he gets a World Cup Soccer Ball signed by everyone on his team. I think it's a great way to get the kids excited about World Cup Soccer. It has me excited as well.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ther US are not a top 20-25 Team I think, probably around 30.

Germany, Brazil, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Italy, France, England, Belgium, Switzerland, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Croatia, Bosnia, Ivory Coast, Columbia, Serbia

That is 18 that are clearly better, the USA is in the next tier with a bunch of others, hard to say who is better..

Japan, Cameroon, South Korea, Greece, Mexico, USA, Poland, Ukraine, Denmark, Turkey, Ghana, Sweden, Austria, Egypt, Montenegro, Nigeria, Czech

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake