The Official US Soccer thread

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The same U20 team that failed to win a game at their last world cup? I don't have the optimism that you have in our youth. Klinsmann didn't even select the best player from the U20 team in Gil.

Yeah I said they leave a lot to be desired meaning they suck and the young guys on the WC team this year that will be there in 18 will be the best chance this team will have in a long time.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Do you agree they have a better chance in 18 especially if green develops into the player the USMNT thinks he will? Green has to be the savior he is far and away the best U20 player for the country. US is the 14th ranked team in the world. Some people dont understand that no non European team has ever won the world cup ranked outside the top 3. The lowest ranked team to ever win was France in 98 and I dont think anyone can say this team would beat that one. Just because its the WC does not mean we have to be unrealistic.

FIFA Rankings don't mean squat, US was 6th I believe going in to 2006 WC, how did that work out?

I have no idea how they will do in 2018 and neither do you. After 2002 I thought we had a bright future and that was a young team.

Green would have to develop in to Messi and speaking of which what have the best players in the world won recently? I am talking about Messi and Ronaldo.

Your thinking on this is not just flawed it is flat out dumb.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The same U20 team that failed to win a game at their last world cup? I don't have the optimism that you have in our youth. Klinsmann didn't even select the best player from the U20 team in Gil.

Bingo. Gil was by far the best player...Yedlin was AWFUL in that tourney and all of a sudden he is on the WC roster?

You put the best team you possibly can on the field every 4 years, use the friendlies and Gold Cup to experiment with the roster. 2015 we have the Gold Cup and 2016 the Copa America...it works out perfect to develop players and build the roster for 2018.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
FIFA Rankings don't mean squat, US was 6th I believe going in to 2006 WC, how did that work out?

I have no idea how they will do in 2018 and neither do you. After 2002 I thought we had a bright future and that was a young team.

Green would have to develop in to Messi and speaking of which what have the best players in the world won recently? I am talking about Messi and Ronaldo.

Your thinking on this is not just flawed it is flat out dumb.

Flat out dumb? So I guess dillusional thinking is wise around here now. Let's start some old guys just for a slim shot at getting out of group instead of putting the young guys on the roster to see how they hold up on the biggest stage. If you are comparing the gold cup and copa to the WC in terms of pressure play then your thinking is flat out dumb. It makes no sense to have Donovan on a team that won't compete for the cup when in 4 years he will be on ESPN doing analyst work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Flat out dumb? So I guess dillusional thinking is wise around here now. Let's start some old guys just for a slim shot at getting out of group instead of putting the young guys on the roster to see how they hold up on the biggest stage. If you are comparing the gold cup and copa to the WC in terms of pressure play then your thinking is flat out dumb. It makes no sense to have Donovan on a team that won't compete for the cup when in 4 years he will be on ESPN doing analyst work.

Are you paying attention? JK IS starting some old guys, even without Donovan! It's not like he picked guys that were all 25 or younger...

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Are you paying attention? JK IS starting some old guys, even without Donovan! It's not like he picked guys that were all 25 or younger...

In some cases he has no choice the only older guys starting are Dempsey and Howard who are the lockerroom leaders and mentors. Donovan was not that guy and this came from McBride who has obviously played with all 3. The only starter who will not be on this team in 4 years is Dempsey. Every other starter for the most part will still be in their 20's in four years. The older subs are there to teach and show an example plus the US has no other capable younger players at this time. I don't get how anyone can't see they are playing for four years from now. How well do any of you know JK? Everyone here who has no clue or is shocked should read this article.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...in-john-brooks-julian-green-jurgen-klinsmann/

Or this article on how young the team is and more evidence of playing for 18. Loved the part about the friendly right after the WC which no team who thinks it will pass group would do.

http://www.soccertimes.com/wagman/2014/may23

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
In some cases he has no choice the only older guys starting are Dempsey and Howard who are the lockerroom leaders and mentors. Donovan was not that guy and this came from McBride who has obviously played with all 3. The only starter who will not be on this team in 4 years is Dempsey. Every other starter for the most part will still be in their 20's in four years. The older subs are there to teach and show an example plus the US has no other capable younger players at this time. I don't get how anyone can't see they are playing for four years from now. How well do any of you know JK? Everyone here who has no clue or is shocked should read this article.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...in-john-brooks-julian-green-jurgen-klinsmann/

Or this article on how young the team is and more evidence of playing for 18. Loved the part about the friendly right after the WC which no team who thinks it will pass group would do.

http://www.soccertimes.com/wagman/2014/may23

You use a fan written article to support the argument? Pro Soccer Talk is a joke...much rather read Steven Goff, Ives Galarcep and Grant Wahl for my informed soccer news and all of them have questioned the roster decisions.

"The only starter who will not be on this team in 4 years is Dempsey..."Beasley, Howard and Jones (all starters) also won't be around in 2018...that is 4 of 11 starters.

"Every other starter for the most part will still be in their 20's in four years."...not true...Bedoya, Cameron, Bradley, Besler, Fabian Johnson and Zusi will all be in their early 30's by the next WC. That is 6 more.

That leaves Altidore as the only starter from 2014 that will still be in his 20's in 2018. One player.

But don't let facts get in the way.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You use a fan written article to support the argument? Pro Soccer Talk is a joke...much rather read Steven Goff, Ives Galarcep and Grant Wahl for my informed soccer news and all of them have questioned the roster decisions.

"The only starter who will not be on this team in 4 years is Dempsey..."Beasley, Howard and Jones (all starters) also won't be around in 2018...that is 4 of 11 starters.

"Every other starter for the most part will still be in their 20's in four years."...not true...Bedoya, Cameron, Bradley, Besler, Fabian Johnson and Zusi will all be in their early 30's by the next WC. That is 6 more.

That leaves Altidore as the only starter from 2014 that will still be in his 20's in 2018. One player.

But don't let facts get in the way.

Yedlin Gonzalez Brooks chandler diskerud green and altidore will all be starters in 18 so that would be 7. If JK goes 2 ST in 18 Johansson will make 8. If all those guys aren't starters the US team is in more trouble then anyone thinks. The core of your team will be under 30.

You are right about Howard but Beasley and Jones will be lucky to start 1 game in group. Diskerud and Gonzalez will step into the lineup if what has been happening keeps up.

Have nothing to say on the second article?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yedlin Gonzalez Brooks chandler diskerud green and altidore will all be starters in 18 so that would be 7. If JK goes 2 ST in 18 Johansson will make 8. If all those guys aren't starters the US team is in more trouble then anyone thinks. The core of your team will be under 30.

You are right about Howard but Beasley and Jones will be lucky to start 1 game in group. Diskerud and Gonzalez will step into the lineup if what has been happening keeps up.

Nobody is even saying Donovan should absolutely be a starter also. He should at least be on the bench--there's a few guys that are his age already there.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Nobody is even saying Donovan should absolutely be a starter also. He should at least be on the bench--there's a few guys that are his age already there.

Say US finishes 3rd in group. And the points breakdown goes 7, 7, 3, 0 which it very well could do you think the addition of Donovan alone would help defeat Portugal or Germany? I say the chances are slim to none.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

The only way Jones doesn't start all 3 group games is if he is suspended or injured. Beasley is obviously JK first choice left back...again suspension or injury are the only way I see him missing a match. Of course we could be mathematically eliminated by the time match 3 rolls around and roll out a reserve squad--but I doubt it.

There is no guarantee Yedlin, Gonzalez, Brooks, Chandler, Green will all be starters in 2018. Each and every one of them could be supplanted by other players--frankly I would be shocked (and dismayed) if Gonzalez is starting in 2018, he is too slow of foot and of thought--his foot speed isn't going to improve when he is 29 yrs old. Yedlin is athletic as can be but is not the most tactically sound player--he is a work in progress. Diskerud could be displaced by Gil or Shipp. Chandler wavers in his commitment to the Int'l game. Brooks is another work in progress. No telling what becomes of Green, seen too many guys flame out after looking like stars at 18 (and he hasn't looked like a star at all yet). There are no guarantees and 4 years is a LONG time in an athletes career.

The second article does nothing to support that Donovan should not be on the squad--it speaks to an inflated ego of the coach. Didn't feel that mattered.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Say US finishes 3rd in group. And the points breakdown goes 7, 7, 3, 0 which it very well could do you think the addition of Donovan alone would help defeat Portugal or Germany? I say the chances are slim to none.

Slim to none? Based on what? Donovan has done it before, nobody else has come close to that on the international level.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Slim to none? Based on what? Donovan has done it before, nobody else has come close to that on the international level.

Donovan is not now or has ever been a top 5 or 10 player in the world. Nobody has ever come close on the international level to taking his team to the round of 16 and losing? I dont know if you have ever heard the names Pele and ronaldo lol. This is reaching the critical mass of absurdity and Donovan ball washing.

Edit: just looked at the player power rankings going into the 2010 world cup which you could say was Donovan's prime and he wasn't in the top 50.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Donovan is not now or has ever been a top 5 or 10 player in the world. Nobody has ever come close on the international level to taking his team to the round of 16 and losing? I dont know if you have ever heard the names Pele and ronaldo lol. This is reaching the critical mass of absurdity and Donovan ball washing.

Edit: just looked at the player power rankings going into the 2010 world cup which you could say was Donovan's prime and he wasn't in the top 50.

Pretty sure he is referring to Donovan and the other US internationals. He probably didn't think he would have to spell that out for anyone.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Pretty sure he is referring to Donovan and the other US internationals. He probably didn't think he would have to spell that out for anyone.

You are reaching read what he wrote clearly said noone had done what Donovan did on an international level.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You are reaching read what he wrote clearly said noone had done what Donovan did on an international level.

Let's let Chap just say what he meant. I am pretty sure he meant nobody on the US team

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

You obviously have some reading comprehension issues. We weren't talking about Donovan being amongst the best in the WORLD. This entire conversation has been about his relevance to the USMNT.

Zeno is right, I didn't think I'd need to explain such a basic concept. You seem to have some knowledge, but you took a huge leap there and are completely wrong.

Donovan has made a difference before in close games, both internationally and for his club. That is a FACT and what we are discussing. What has Brad Davis done? What about Kyle Beckerman?

Don't twist words to try to justify such a weak argument.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You obviously have some reading comprehension issues. We weren't talking about Donovan being amongst the best in the WORLD. This entire conversation has been about his relevance to the USMNT.

Zeno is right, I didn't think I'd need to explain such a basic concept. You seem to have some knowledge, but you took a huge leap there and are completely wrong.

Donovan has made a difference before in close games, both internationally and for his club. That is a FACT and what we are discussing. What has Brad Davis done? What about Kyle Beckerman?

Don't twist words to try to justify such a weak argument.

Okay I am wrong you guys are right. I am sorry I offended all here by saying Donovan would make no difference on this team. There is no point in keeping this going you won't agree with me and I won't agree with you. I will avatar or SIG bet anyone here that not only will the US not make it out of group but they won't have more than 3 points.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay I am wrong you guys are right. I am sorry I offended all here by saying Donovan would make no difference on this team. There is no point in keeping this going you won't agree with me and I won't agree with you. I will avatar or SIG bet anyone here that not only will the US not make it out of group but they won't have more than 3 points.

I will take that wager based on them gettin more than 3. And wagering is fun.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I will take that wager based on them gettin more than 3. And wagering is fun.

Sweet only downside is I would have made chap or zeno rock an azzurii avatar. I think you would enjoy that. You better hope Ghana doesn't beat the US in game 1 or you are toast. Even if they tie Ghana they won't beat either Portugal of Germany best they could do is draw.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet only downside is I would have made chap or zeno rock an azzurii avatar. I think you would enjoy that. You better hope Ghana doesn't beat the US in game 1 or you are toast. Even if they tie Ghana they won't beat either Portugal of Germany best they could do is draw.

Oops

Go Azzureii

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake