The Official US Soccer thread

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In fact, to prove my point about defenders just coming on for the sake of it. In the 2010 World Cup England brought on a defender once. That was due to an injury. You don't just play defenders to give them game time.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well I haven't missed any World Cup game since 1990, buy thanks for the concern. You give caps and experience for sure, but no team just turns up to experiment for the future. Go on. Go and find me all these teams that have just played youth for future WCs. There must be loads of them according to you.

Do that for some friendlies and qualifying. Do it in Gold Cup or Confed cup.

Nobody is claiming Donovan is as good as he was. We're saying he brings something that can't be measured. The fact that you referenced some random player ranking system earlier shows me you don't really get the game. Stick to baseball. Easier to measure.

Italia '90 was the first World Cup I remember watching fully. My teacher brought a TV to class so we could watch the games and I distinctively remember watching the Argentina-Cameroon game.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I'm gonna start pulling hair out soon. Cole didn't want that. He chose to retire rather than possibly play a few minutes when England are winning. You don't just sub on a left back to change the game. He would only play if Baines got injured. He knew that and took the dignified route out. There's no doubt Hodgson made it clear to him from the start. Plus, as I said, he's barely played.

As for taking more strikers. That was never going to happen. Never. You need to get this idea that Defoe was snubbed out of your head. Hopefully Welbeck will get injured in the next few days and they'll call him up. But he plays for a certain team which unfortunately elevates him in manager's eyes.

From what I read it was that they wanted to go in a younger direction and Cole wasnt given a choice to backup. If you can find an article where Cole says that I will tell you i was wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From what I read it was that they wanted to go in a younger direction and Cole wasnt given a choice to backup. If you can find an article where Cole says that I will tell you i was wrong.

Where Cole says what? He retired did he not. Didn't even want to be a reserve in the squad of 30. It's just common knowledge. Not the official line taken but what everyone knows.

Anyway, even if we just agree to disagree on Cole your original point was that many teams go young to get ready for another tournament. You haven't mentioned any other teams and still haven't proved that's what England (or the US) have actually done. Your argument is based on nothing.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Where Cole says what? He retired did he not. Didn't even want to be a reserve in the squad of 30. It's just common knowledge. Not the official line taken but what everyone knows.

Anyway, even if we just agree to disagree on Cole your original point was that many teams go young to get ready for another tournament. You haven't mentioned any other teams and still haven't proved that's what England (or the US) have actually done. Your argument is based on nothing.

England basically said they are tuning up for euro. Bosnia and Australia are also doing the same thing.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am a 2nd generation american my grandparents were born in Sicily. I'm an american citizen with deep roots to Italy. As a boy I had youth Olympic tryouts before I busted both ankles which then turned my love for soccer from playing to following.

2nd Generation American...yet the US is not your team. SMH. Just as bad as the "Mexican" fans in AZ that want nothing to do with Mexico outside of the soccer pitch. SMH

All you have demonstrated is your lack of understanding for the WC and the USMNT, not a soul is agreeing with you here.

Using your logic only 10 or so teams should bring their A team to Brazil, might as well make it another U23 tournament for the also rans.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
2nd Generation American...yet the US is not your team. SMH. Just as bad as the "Mexican" fans in AZ that want nothing to do with Mexico outside of the soccer pitch. SMH

All you have demonstrated is your lack of understanding for the WC and the USMNT, not a soul is agreeing with you here.

Using your logic only 10 or so teams should bring their A team to Brazil, might as well make it another U23 tournament for the also rans.

I'd watch your mouth I still root for USA but my love is for Italy it was what I was grown up on. Is there a problem with that?

I never said that but if you are a team that doubts making it out of group why not try for the next big tourney. Im going to get in a pissing match with you I don't know you nor do I care about you enough to throw insults.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
England basically said they are tuning up for euro. Bosnia and Australia are also doing the same thing.

Show me a quote from anyone with the English FA that said that.

Kinda hard for Australia to tune up for a tournament they are not eligible for...unless things have changed they are in the Asian Football Federation.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'd watch your mouth I still root for USA but my love is for Italy it was what I was grown up on. Is there a problem with that?

Yep, there is a big problem with that. That lack of loyalty is disgusting.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Show me a quote from anyone with the English FA that said that.

Kinda hard for Australia to tune up for a tournament they are not eligible for...unless things have changed they are in the Asian Football Federation.

They have been in the AFF since 06 which they have a tournament like the UEFA for Asia. Yet I'm ignorant lol

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They have been in the AFF since 06 which they have a tournament like the UEFA for Asia. Yet I'm ignorant lol

You said "Euros" which is not the Asian tournament--which is along the same lines as our Gold Cup.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You said "Euros" which is not the Asian tournament--which is along the same lines as our Gold Cup.

I said England is tuning up for euros. Bosnia and Australia are doing the same(as in going for youth)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Loyalty? Wtf is your problem man its soccer not war

Whatever...I would never fly another countries flag or wear another countries colors. That is disrespectful to the country you are a citizen of. We won't agree on this but obviously you are not someone I think I would agree on much with anyway...so no loss.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Whatever...I would never fly another countries flag or wear another countries colors. That is disrespectful to the country you are a citizen of. We won't agree on this but obviously you are not someone I think I would agree on much with anyway...so no loss.

Yeah no loss either way enjoy your night.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Only 3 changes, Dempsey of course back, Beas out Chandler in, Davis in and Bedoya out.

Hope the team actual looks sort of capable on offense for a change.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Still struggling overall offensively but Fabian Johnson's goal was pretty awesome as was Bradley's assist. Good thing Turkey can't shoot straight.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
How did Jozy play?

His hold up play was good and he was running with a purpose but he was reluctant to take defenders on close to goal and looked to pass rather than shoot. He really needs to break his goal drought for his confidence.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I fell asleep for the second half (recorded and watched late at night after a 7-hour drive), so if someone can tell me how we looked then, I'd appreciate it.

In the first half, we showed better offensively, but we got shredded defensively. Chandler shouldn't see the pitch again, as he was a ghost defensively for the entire half. They simply ran downhill on his side. I'm getting worried. Very, very worried.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I fell asleep for the second half (recorded and watched late at night after a 7-hour drive), so if someone can tell me how we looked then, I'd appreciate it.

In the first half, we showed better offensively, but we got shredded defensively. Chandler shouldn't see the pitch again, as he was a ghost defensively for the entire half. They simply ran downhill on his side. I'm getting worried. Very, very worried.

The US looked better for the first 25 or so minutes in the second half and then it seemed like they ran out of gas. Beckerman was an improvement over Jones but they adjusted with Bradley playing further back then when Jones was in.

Chandler didn't look good and it was compounded by Brad Davis playing on the left in front of him for long stretches too. Davis has very little speed and not much defensive bite. Chandlers cross did set up the second goal...even if it was more of a matter of the Turks messing it up than quality service.

Matt Besler looked awful too. Brooks came in and made a couple of early miscues but settled in and played OK...better than Besler had.

Julian Green is not ready, he should be with the U23's not with the full team.

Bradley, Fabian Johnson and Cameron were the best players IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did Jozy play?

His hold up play was good and he was running with a purpose but he was reluctant to take defenders on close to goal and looked to pass rather than shoot. He really needs to break his goal drought for his confidence.

I thought he played very well and it was the best game he has played during his drought. I disagree that he was looking to pass vs shoot. At the end of the game he took on the player in the box, got space and shot. The angle was tight and he didn't get the ball in the air though. The one instance that I think that you are talking about where Twellman said he should have shot, he had a bad angle and the cross was the right decision. He made a great cross to Mix and instead of chesting the ball, he should have headed it in.

He was very strong with his back to the goal and his hold up play was good. He helped on defense as well. I personally thought the ref had it in for him all game. His disallowed goal was probably a foul, but I have seen those not called. They probably should have called a red card on the first long ball where Jozy was tackled. They called a phantom call against him on the second long ball.

I think he did everything well except put the ball in the net. I guess that has been his problem all year long.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought he played very well and it was the best game he has played during his drought. I disagree that he was looking to pass vs shoot. At the end of the game he took on the player in the box, got space and shot. The angle was tight and he didn't get the ball in the air though. The one instance that I think that you are talking about where Twellman said he should have shot, he had a bad angle and the cross was the right decision. He made a great cross to Mix and instead of chesting the ball, he should have headed it in.

He was very strong with his back to the goal and his hold up play was good. He helped on defense as well. I personally thought the ref had it in for him all game. His disallowed goal was probably a foul, but I have seen those not called. They probably should have called a red card on the first long ball where Jozy was tackled. They called a phantom call against him on the second long ball.

I think he did everything well except put the ball in the net. I guess that has been his problem all year long.

I started watching from about the 36th minute on and agree with what you're saying. A couple of questions though. Does Jozy have a left foot? What's with kicking the ball away away after a whistle? He does that in the WC and it could cost him and the team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started watching from about the 36th minute on and agree with what you're saying. A couple of questions though. Does Jozy have a left foot? What's with kicking the ball away away after a whistle? He does that in the WC and it could cost him and the team.

Left foot? No. The kicking the ball away would cost him and the team.

The Davis handle of the ball on the sideline will cost the team too. Chandler falling asleep with the ball will cost the team too. We have a lot of work to do if we even want to beat Ghana.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake