The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No, an ugly win that should have been a loss. We were atrocious, absolutely atrocious. A central defense pairing just asking to be scored upon. Beckerman sucking like Beckerman usually does. A lot--A LOT--going wrong, much more than was going right.

Bright spots? Dempsey on free kicks. Zardes was lights out. Umm...that's about it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I will say I liked Fabian Johnson, to me he was the MOTM if it wasn't for Dempsey scoring 2 goals.

Lets hope like the USWNT they start out slowly then find their groove as the tourney progresses.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Tim Chandler's Passing last night:

You must be registered for see images

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I really don't like Jozy & Deuce in that formation.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't like Jozy & Deuce in that formation.

The problem is that our midfield/CBs aren't good enough in possession. They don't have the creativity to pass the ball around to get the ball to the forwards unless they long ball it. Bradley is the only one I feel comfortable in possession. Not even Clint is that good at it.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The problem is that our midfield/CBs aren't good enough in possession. They don't have the creativity to pass the ball around to get the ball to the forwards unless they long ball it. Bradley is the only one I feel comfortable in possession. Not even Clint is that good at it.

Agreed.

I think my preference is:

4-2-3-1

Jozy or Deuce up top. Not both. One is benched.

Zardes - Bradley - Johnson

Mix above & A holding MF like Jones, Beckerman, or Evans below

Then a back 4 with Yedlin behind Zardes and Chandler behind Johnson. With two CB's who are hot at that moment.

Unfortunately, we need Mix & Bradley for MF ball handling. Putting Deuce behind Jozy just kills our possession game.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think maybe I've overated this team and overlooked Honduras. I'm satisfied with the result. We could have seen a draw even a loss. With that said we were close to scoring 3-4 goals as well. Ironically our best sequence with Johnson running into the box and slipping a nice ball to yedlin did not yield a goal. That was maybe the most frustrating moment In the game save the last second free shot Honduras got(reminded me of portugal) hopefully things will get better as the games go on.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

I think my preference is:

4-2-3-1

Jozy or Deuce up top. Not both. One is benched.

Zardes - Bradley - Johnson

Mix above & A holding MF like Jones, Beckerman, or Evans below

Then a back 4 with Yedlin behind Zardes and Chandler behind Johnson. With two CB's who are hot at that moment.

Unfortunately, we need Mix & Bradley for MF ball handling. Putting Deuce behind Jozy just kills our possession game.

Even Mix gives the ball away too much in possession. We just don't have the players right now to do what we need to do. That's why I was so excited to see Zelalem, but he isn't ready apparently. He looks to have the creativity needed. If he can't get into this Gold Cup team, I do wonder a bit about his future.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Even Mix gives the ball away too much in possession. We just don't have the players right now to do what we need to do. That's why I was so excited to see Zelalem, but he isn't ready apparently. He looks to have the creativity needed. If he can't get into this Gold Cup team, I do wonder a bit about his future.

Come on the kid is 18! He isn't even getting minutes with a club side (loan or otherwise). Landon Donovan only made one appearance as an 18 yr old and it was a meaningless friendly against Mexico (he scored BTW)...he played in his first Gold Cup a year later. The current team is much more talented than it was then and it will be much more difficult for a teenager to break in.

Let's let him get some club minutes and mature as a player before wondering about his future.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on the kid is 18! He isn't even getting minutes with a club side (loan or otherwise). Landon Donovan only made one appearance as an 18 yr old and it was a meaningless friendly against Mexico (he scored BTW)...he played in his first Gold Cup a year later. The current team is much more talented than it was then and it will be much more difficult for a teenager to break in.

Let's let him get some club minutes and mature as a player before wondering about his future.

I want what I want and I want it now. :D

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I want what I want and I want it now. :D

I understand that. I really do, I just no longer buy in to the hype train we get from our youth products anymore...burned by Adu and others. Now I am at that "prove it" level--and by prove it I mean at the club level (even MLS) and I will be a believer.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I understand that. I really do, I just no longer buy in to the hype train we get from our youth products anymore...burned by Adu and others. Now I am at that "prove it" level--and by prove it I mean at the club level (even MLS) and I will be a believer.

I agree and look at landon now. And his English counterpart Michael Owen. They wore out too young. We have a youth system so that these guys can develop with their peers. Let him gain experience and confidence before all of this pressure is on his shoulders and hopefully by age 32 he will be in his prime still. Make him earn his way.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I agree and look at landon now. And his English counterpart Michael Owen. They wore out too young. We have a youth system so that these guys can develop with their peers. Let him gain experience and confidence before all of this pressure is on his shoulders and hopefully by age 32 he will be in his prime still. Make him earn his way.

Donovan was mentally worn out, the WC snub was just the last straw IMO.

Owen was just injury after injury unfortunately for England.

Very few soccer players are in their primes at 32. Remember when Beckham came to the Galaxy? He was 32 and considered by most to be past his prime. Clint Dempsey is 32 and is no longer in his prime (although still productive).

I am very hopeful with our youth system, the MLS academies are producing homegrown players every year and Bradenton continues to develop our youth national teams and is now getting former US national team players involved with the coaching (Ramos, Williams) and development (Reyna). Unfortunately it looks like we are further away then I thought--maybe the 2022 cycle we will see the results we want, 2018 seems too soon. The US has no shortage of athletes, they just need to be developed in to intelligent skilled players.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Donovan was mentally worn out, the WC snub was just the last straw IMO.

Owen was just injury after injury unfortunately for England.

Very few soccer players are in their primes at 32. Remember when Beckham came to the Galaxy? He was 32 and considered by most to be past his prime. Clint Dempsey is 32 and is no longer in his prime (although still productive).

I am very hopeful with our youth system, the MLS academies are producing homegrown players every year and Bradenton continues to develop our youth national teams and is now getting former US national team players involved with the coaching (Ramos, Williams) and development (Reyna). Unfortunately it looks like we are further away then I thought--maybe the 2022 cycle we will see the results we want, 2018 seems too soon. The US has no shortage of athletes, they just need to be developed in to intelligent skilled players.

That's where I will def agree with you(what you said in the end). I think the prime of an athletes play can vary greatly therefore that could be a trivial topic. A younger player should be in better physical condition and recovery time should def be better and this is usually reflected in soccer. But experience adds to the equation of when a player is truly at his best both physically and mentally. And for both Donovan and Owen neither guy could hold up over time which is why I brought them up.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That's where I will def agree with you(what you said in the end). I think the prime of an athletes play can vary greatly therefore that could be a trivial topic. A younger player should be in better physical condition and recovery time should def be better and this is usually reflected in soccer. But experience adds to the equation of when a player is truly at his best both physically and mentally. And for both Donovan and Owen neither guy could hold up over time which is why I brought them up.

The only players I would honestly consider in their prime at 30+ would be goalkeepers.

As for tonight's game...the U.S. Just again does not look sharp and I am not sure if I have seen a worse shooting team then Haiti...some of their shots ended up throw ins.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Alexi Lalas alluded during half-time that its not enough to put the best eleven on the pitch, you have to have the proper formation. As I was beginning to think I may agree with Lalas, for the first time ever, Gyasi Zardes is subbed in. Within moments Zardes proves that with effective pace, you can almost throw everything else out the window. As shown during the first 45 minutes, when your fastest player on the pitch is a long-haired white guy from Norwegia, this team will always have problems.

Hati exposed the weaknesses on the back-line, and the midfield players again proved they do not possess world class technical ability. However, one player with speed and aggression can change the match completely. This is what works for the USMNT.

This was a surprisingly tense match, but came away feeling good about a couple of the younger players' improvement. Would like to see a starting XI full of youth for the match on Monday.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Geez, it took us forever to play as a team, almost as if our coach turned into an idiot and changed the whole side in the middle of a crucial tournament. Oh wait...

What an absolute MORON JK was with this lineup. He looked past Haiti and it damn near cost him. Our defense was a joke, our midfield couldn't stop a limping donkey, and we didn't gel as a team. I mean, the minute Haiti got the ball, I thought I was watching last year's Newcastle United team defending to the tune of Yakety Sax!

On the attack, when we got there, things looked a lot better. Johansson was money and earned his way into the starting 11. Zardes should start from here on out, as he brings touch along with pace. Bradley going forward is nails. Dempsey just continues to score.

I'll be the one to say it, though--Altidore should be benched. He's got nothing, including a complete lack of confidence. He's in the clear with an open look at goal, and he turns back into traffic. No confidence, unable to hold the ball up, and his only contributions a few nice flicks--not his game. BENCH HIM. Dempsey--Zardes--Johansson, for my money.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake