The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Geez, it took us forever to play as a team, almost as if our coach turned into an idiot and changed the whole side in the middle of a crucial tournament. Oh wait...

What an absolute MORON JK was with this lineup. He looked past Haiti and it damn near cost him. Our defense was a joke, our midfield couldn't stop a limping donkey, and we didn't gel as a team. I mean, the minute Haiti got the ball, I thought I was watching last year's Newcastle United team defending to the tune of Yakety Sax!

On the attack, when we got there, things looked a lot better. Johansson was money and earned his way into the starting 11. Zardes should start from here on out, as he brings touch along with pace. Bradley going forward is nails. Dempsey just continues to score.

I'll be the one to say it, though--Altidore should be benched. He's got nothing, including a complete lack of confidence. He's in the clear with an open look at goal, and he turns back into traffic. No confidence, unable to hold the ball up, and his only contributions a few nice flicks--not his game. BENCH HIM. Dempsey--Zardes--Johansson, for my money.
I understand where you are coming from but to keep players fresh JK needs to play different lineups. He's obviosily tinkering and leaning on dempsey and Bradley in the process. But the rest of the guys should stay fresh for the bigger games upcoming. And that is a smart move. The ideal scenario is to have your best lineup and 3 bench guys for the quarterfinal. keep in mind this is the group stage and the USA should not be running guys into the ground at this point considering the opponenent. I like what I saw for the most part in the second half.

My ideal lineup. I would put zardes dempsey and AJ up top with Bradley mix and zusi or bedoya behind. My d would be johnson brooks gonzo and chandler with yedlin coming off the bench.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I have defended Altidore and given him the benefit of the doubt but man is he just not good right now. He looks like maybe he needs to spend less time weight lifting and more time working with the ball at his feet. His first touch has been awful, his passing poor and his decision making mind boggling...bench for sure.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dempsey and Altidore have the same role in this offense and bring each other down when they play together.

Have to go 4-2-3-1 IMO with Deuce up top and Bradley right behind him.

Deuce

Zardes, Bradley & Johnson

Beckerman & Bedoya or Mix

Then Chandler, CB, CB, Yedlin

It's not perfect, but it will get us through.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from but to keep players fresh JK needs to play different lineups. He's obviosily tinkering and leaning on dempsey and Bradley in the process. But the rest of the guys should stay fresh for the bigger games upcoming. And that is a smart move. The ideal scenario is to have your best lineup and 3 bench guys for the quarterfinal. keep in mind this is the group stage and the USA should not be running guys into the ground at this point considering the opponenent. I like what I saw for the most part in the second half.

My ideal lineup. I would put zardes dempsey and AJ up top with Bradley mix and zusi or bedoya behind. My d would be johnson brooks gonzo and chandler with yedlin coming off the bench.

You never, at any point in a major tournament, make eight changes to the starting lineup, with one caveat: already having first place in the group sewn up. Tinkering and keeping guys fresh is one thing, a relatively normal thing, but making eight changes is stupid, especially given how well Haiti played in getting a draw in the first match. I guarantee you, if you were inside JK's head fifteen minutes in, you'd have heard a hell of a lot of regret.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You never, at any point in a major tournament, make eight changes to the starting lineup, with one caveat: already having first place in the group sewn up. Tinkering and keeping guys fresh is one thing, a relatively normal thing, but making eight changes is stupid, especially given how well Haiti played in getting a draw in the first match. I guarantee you, if you were inside JK's head fifteen minutes in, you'd have heard a hell of a lot of regret.

Especially with the stakes. Win that game and we win the group. He then would have been given all sort of license to pull that stunt in the Panama game.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I don't think the group stage of the gold cup is the same level even with these teams on the rise. Nevertheless I agree with you.

and if I recall bob Bradley did the same thing in the gold cup group stage. I don't think they see Haiti as a team that they fear regardless of the smooth talking going in. Then as you said I think jk was likely disappointed with his results. He had a quicker hook on jozy for sure in spite of his comments.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The only players I would honestly consider in their prime at 30+ would be goalkeepers.

As for tonight's game...the U.S. Just again does not look sharp and I am not sure if I have seen a worse shooting team then Haiti...some of their shots ended up throw ins.

I think I should have articulated my comment better. You are def correct. I think you mentioned an example of players who are older but still bring a lot to the game at 30+. Obviously at the highest clubs it is competitive and hard for a player to stay on top but for the special ones it happens because they are so good even when they start to wear down physically. I get sweini is a good example of that now and I hear their are united fans complaining about the transfer.

I think the mental side comes into play. Like you said a player like donovan was mentally worn down but still could have played longer if he desired. not to ramble but one of my favorite players was zidane and in 2006 WC I thought he put on one of the most magical slew of matches I had ever seen despite being older.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I have defended Altidore and given him the benefit of the doubt but man is he just not good right now. He looks like maybe he needs to spend less time weight lifting and more time working with the ball at his feet. His first touch has been awful, his passing poor and his decision making mind boggling...bench for sure.

I don't understand his weight lifting he was already a bigger frame. Is it for looks?

I agree he looks lazy especially when he doesn't have the ball. He needs to run more. I thought AJ looked a lot better and obviously zardes

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I caught some of the Mex-Guatemala game and Mexico looked awful. Even with a man advantage they couldn't take care of business.

Stout

Reaction score
The lineup tonight is unsurprising and fine--except for my Beckerman disdain lol--but why, oh why, is WONDO getting a start? Why wouldn't you put Johansson back out there after he very clearly earned it? Blech!

Let's hope we can help Haiti through after their big win, because that would be cool.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The lineup tonight is unsurprising and fine--except for my Beckerman disdain lol--but why, oh why, is WONDO getting a start? Why wouldn't you put Johansson back out there after he very clearly earned it? Blech!

Let's hope we can help Haiti through after their big win, because that would be cool.

Agreed, I also think Gonzalez deserves the start over Alvarado,

Stout

Reaction score
Agreed, I also think Gonzalez deserves the start over Alvarado,

Well, after the first half, I can't agree with you more. Alvarado is hot garbage, clueless, slow on the ball, invites pressure and makes mistakes of his own creation. Brooks has been awful too, so I'm actually happy he got the yellow and can't ruin our defense for another game. He's been atrocious.

Our whole team has been awful, really. With no exceptions. Every single player. Even Bradley's made some. Even Guzan, which almost led to a goal. Zardes, way to absolutely crap the bed with your big chance.

I mean wow, just wow.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Somehow the US salvaged a draw. They sure don't look particularly sharp this tournament (to put it mildly).

Lorenzo

Reaction score
First half was terrible and second half was better not great...seems like a trend that has started. This used to be a team that folded late now they are starting poor and finishing stronger with JK bringing in good subs(even going back to the euro trip)

Clearly the best lineup up top is AJ with dempsey behind him to keep possession. I like bringing zardes and or yedlin off the bench. I like zardes in the left flank with johnson behind him. Don't know about chandler he's so up and down just makes a lot of lazy passes but who doesn't on this team? Don't know if the heat is to blame. I still think gonzo and brooks are the best pairing in the back. Brooks was better in the second half in both the attack build and cleaning up panamas attack but the U.S. also had more of the ball in the 2nd.

I also thought bedoya was ok. Again he made some sloppy passes that hurt the team and should have gave Bradley a look at goal in the 16th min. But I thought he had some good moments and if fit could play a role.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Huge win by Jamaica. It moves Costa Rica over on the side of the bracket with Mexico. Now we probably have Jamaica or Haiti in the Semis. Meanwhile the other bracket will probably contain Mexico, Costa Rica, & Panama.

Hopefully we can stumble into the final before we face either Mexico or Costa Rica.

Odds are on us playing Guatemala on Saturday. If they beat Cuba..... It will be so.

Last edited:

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
The USMNT took 4 Forwards to Brazil for the World Cup. Jozy, Deuce, Wondoboner, and Kevin Bacon. When Altidore went down in the first match there was no other player on the roster able to play a target striker role, and not enough speed forwards in the 23 man roster to adjust formation/strategy.

So, the next tournament is here and guess what? Same four forwards, same story with Altidore and a hamstring, same limping out of the group stage, and same anemic offense. Even Bradley has regressed back to his World Cup passing, and its impossible to think its just a coincidence.

I hope Gordon helps, thought Corona should have been on the original 23, and in honor of the ComicCon weekend our "Legacy" player Beasley will join the cast... er, squad.

Still believe the USMNT will win, but it will be harder and less entertaining for the fans due to an avoidable mistake happening again.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I really wish Bobby Wood had been a part of this team, he may not be a 90 minute player at this level yet but I think he could make an impact off the bench like he did in the friendlies. Then there is Jordan Morris, his speed and ability could be huge in the last 20 minutes of a game.

I just don't get how Wondo was on this roster to begin with and Gordon is no better (albeit he wins a lot of aerial battles).

The US will be well rested going in to the next match--so at least they have that going for them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish Bobby Wood had been a part of this team, he may not be a 90 minute player at this level yet but I think he could make an impact off the bench like he did in the friendlies. Then there is Jordan Morris, his speed and ability could be huge in the last 20 minutes of a game.

I just don't get how Wondo was on this roster to begin with and Gordon is no better (albeit he wins a lot of aerial battles).

The US will be well rested going in to the next match--so at least they have that going for them.

Morris is injured I thought....

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I will be front row tomorrow. And 4th row for the final. Needless to say..... This is a good week for me.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dempsey! Nice header. 1-0 USA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake