The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
A very positive article about Bill Hamid...

If Hamid can duplicate last year’s MLS Goalie of the Year season – he’s certainly on his way, currently Top 3 in saves, goals-against-average, and save percentage – perhaps the European clubs will present an offer he can’t refuse.

How Hamid tunes out the National Team noise, while constantly being linked to international clubs and attempting to guide DC United to MLS crown will be fascinating to monitor over the next few years. This week’s Gold Cup training is the next step in an ongoing journey.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/06/18/bill-hamid-tim-howard-dc-united/

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was upset that DC United played their B side in the cup when they played @ the Pittsburgh Riverhounds game Wednesday. I was hoping to watch Hamid play.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I was upset that DC United played their B side in the cup when they played @ the Pittsburgh Riverhounds game Wednesday. I was hoping to watch Hamid play.

I think it was a chance to give as many players a rest as possible, DC's travel schedule is brutal coming up.

21st against New England in DC, 24th in Chicago, 27th in Toronto, 30th in Phil & 3rd in Seattle.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Dempsey gets 3 game suspension

The Seattle Sounders will have to do without Clint Dempsey for the remainder of the month of June.

Major League Soccer announced on Friday that Dempsey has been suspended three games and fined an undisclosed amount for his conduct toward a match official during a Lamar Hunt US Open Cup match against the Portland Timbers at Starfire Stadium on Tuesday night.

Dempsey will not be available for Sounders matches against San Jose (6/20), Philadelphia (6/24) and Portland (6/28). He will conclude his suspension in time to join the US national team for the Gold Cup, which begins on July 7.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...lint-dempsey-three-games-following-us-open-cu

He got off light, I still hope he gets stripped of his captaincy.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That's an MLS punishment. The question is if US Soccer does anything.

Actually that is his punishment, the only thing being talked about further is punishment regarding future US Open Cup matches. From what I have read he will not receive any punishment directed at his international play.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Actually that is his punishment, the only thing being talked about further is punishment regarding future US Open Cup matches. From what I have read he will not receive any punishment directed at his international play.

You read that where? I haven't heard anything about whether or not US Soccer will do anything. Hell, has Klinsmann even said a word about it?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You read that where? I haven't heard anything about whether or not US Soccer will do anything. Hell, has Klinsmann even said a word about it?

MLS.com, SBISoccer.com, Goal.com...all saying the same thing, no USMNT games will be missed.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The 32-year-old Dempsey will miss Seattle’s upcoming games vs. the San Jose Earthquakes, Philadelphia Union, and Portland Timbers. He could receive additional punishment from the Sounders as well as U.S. Soccer, which will hold a hearing next week to review the incident, but any punishment levied by U.S. Soccer would be limited to the U.S. Open Cup.

The length of the suspension means Dempsey will not miss any part of next month’s CONCACAF Gold Cup.

That is from SBISoccer.com

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He ripped up a notebook. Suspend him a few games and be done with it.

It's not the end of the world.

No it isn't. If they don't think that is a big deal, then change the rules. Those rules are in place for a specific punishment to be handed down and he should have received it. Period.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It was the ref's notebook, which is personal property and falls under referee assault.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score

I like players with a bit of an edge them. I believe professional fouls and hard tackles are a part of the game. I enjoy gamesmanship and trying to get inside another player's head. Sometimes watching players go toe-to-toe with each other is extra entertainment.

But in no sport, on any level, at any age, do you aggressively touch a ref or his possessions. This is not just a sport moral issue, it is a safety issue. Too many idiot parents, drunk spectators, and violent fans could see this as an excuse to justify a mob mentality.

Some infractions you have to take a 'no grey area' stand for the benefit of all.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Safety issue? He ripped up some paper. Are we worried he would get a paper cut?

He should be suspended for a few games for his actions against the ref, but 3 months? Don't be silly.

If he had hit the ref - life ban
Pushed him around - a few months

But he didn't.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
U.s. Gold cup roster

Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

Defenders (7): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers)

Midfielders (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Alfredo Morales (FC Ingolstadt), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Evans, Davis and Wondolowski are the 3 biggest surprises for me. I wouldn't take Beckerman if I were coach but it is obvious JK loves him.

I'd rather see Hamid over Yarbrough, Garza over Evans, Kitchen over Beckerman and Morris(or Agudelo) over Wondolowski...and almost anyone in the pool over Davis.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think wondo is the biggest surprise for me. I thought klinsmann would call a younger forward whether it be morris or someone else. I also have little doubt that jones would have been called if healthy so someone took his spot. And not that I'm a dreadlock fan...but I actually think Bradley looks more comfortable with beckerman than he does jones. I'm also a little surprised Shea is left off too...not that he's better than anyone else on the roster.

I think the important thing too is what other changes will be made later?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
As far as dempsey I think klinsmann. Did finally mention it. I don't think he plans on punishing him nor taking his armband. where I would goif I were jk I might bench dempsey for a game or half and let someone else have an opportunity. I would also give Bradley the arm band because he is more fit to be captain. Aside from that I would consider dropping dempsey to MF during a game as well and pairing AJ with jozy.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as dempsey I think klinsmann. Did finally mention it. I don't think he plans on punishing him nor taking his armband. where I would goif I were jk I might bench dempsey for a game or half and let someone else have an opportunity. I would also give Bradley the arm band because he is more fit to be captain. Aside from that I would consider dropping dempsey to MF during a game as well and pairing AJ with jozy.

I'd sit him for the Guatemala game too.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'd sit him for the Guatemala game too.

I'd be fine with that. I think we are finally at that point where we have quality depth to the point to where players just can't expect to show up and get a cap. And a lot of that credit goes to klinsmann with how he's played younger players. Jones is a good example of a player who's time could be running short due to an untimely injury. If not for JK being one of his biggest supporters I'd say his time is all but over because of the youth moving forward. But dempsey as well is getting on thin ice and is older now than he once was. No question he was a major player in the Wc and has been a mainstay long before that, but He needs to show up now more than ever if he wants to stay on the first team moving forward.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Wood, Morris, Agudelo, heck I would take Charlie Davies over Wondo.

I'm trying to figure out what JK has in mind for wondo. I'd say set pieces, but how often is he going to play realistically especially with the way zardes can move around.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Brad Davis bothers me just as much as Wondo, he offers NOTHING to the team. He was worthless in the WC (as was Wondo).