The Official US Soccer thread

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Gonzalez too far upfield combined with another brain fart by Brooks. Costa Rica 3-0. We got problems on the back line.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Chandler passes it directly to Costa Rica. Gonzalez and Brooks either ball watching or gave up on the play. Costa Rica 4-0. Four frickin nil to Costa g'damn Rica!

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Wood and Altidore do not have the necessary chemistry I've seen with Wood/Morris or Altidore/Kevin Bacon/Deuce. With the exception of Pulisic, the midfield is void of effort and talent. The backline combo of Gonzalez/Brooks/Chandler is just toxic; no communication, lack of continuity, and a brainless performance. Guzan was trapped in a pinball machine all night; had a handful of fine saves but the lack of defensive communication partly falls to him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wood and Altidore do not have the necessary chemistry I've seen with Wood/Morris or Altidore/Kevin Bacon/Deuce. With the exception of Pulisic, the midfield is void of effort and talent. The backline combo of Gonzalez/Brooks/Chandler is just toxic; no communication, lack of continuity, and a brainless performance. Guzan was trapped in a pinball machine all night; had a handful of fine saves but the lack of defensive communication partly falls to him.

Disagree. Wood and Altidore in the past 12 games have like a combined 15 goals and 6 assists or something like that. They just didn't get any service except long balls.

This was the worst center back pairing I have ever seen. Brooks and Gonzales should never, EVER be on the same pitch again at the same time. Neither one of them know how to do anything but hoof it up the pitch to clear the ball.

The midfield pairing of Bradley and Jones needs to go as well. They both look slow, aged, and out of ideas. But then again, it is hard to get them into the game when the CB don't do nothing but send it up top.

This loss proves how important Cameron is on this team. If he is back there, the rest of the back line is more stable and the game has a different outcome.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Disagree. Wood and Altidore in the past 12 games have like a combined 15 goals and 6 assists or something like that.
Going to go out on a limb here and say the vast majority of those were during the 4 games against Trinidad & Tobago, and St. Vincent & the Grenadines.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to go out on a limb here and say the vast majority of those were during the 4 games against Trinidad & Tobago, and St. Vincent & the Grenadines.

You are free to look if you desire.

Wood and Jozy were not at fault for this game in the least. They didn't play well because the defense and midfield did not put them in a position to succeed. Simple as that. Even our golden boy Pulisic had a bad game because of it.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klinsmann's constant of throwing players under the bus has gone stale. Time for Gulati to give Arena a call.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
You are free to look if you desire.

Wood and Jozy were not at fault for this game in the least. They didn't play well because the defense and midfield did not put them in a position to succeed. Simple as that. Even our golden boy Pulisic had a bad game because of it.
Yeah, I was just waiting on your permission. Then again, since you are the one using it to prove your claim, I think I let you do it.

Who is faulting Wood and Jozy?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just waiting on your permission.
:rolleyes:
Then again, since you are the one using it to prove your claim, I think I let you do it.
It was your claim that the majority of the goals came from 2 games. Look it up or don't. I really don't care.
Who is faulting Wood and Jozy?
You said they didn't have chemistry. I put up status that suggest otherwise. Again, agree or don't, I really don't care.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy who says that dual national citizens shouldn't play? Grrrrreeeeeaaaaatttt....
He played dual national players his first time around, and clarified his comments (I definitely disagree with them as originally stated)

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Good! Now we need a competent replacement. Arena is an iffy pick for me. I might like him for the short term, because he knows what we need to do to qualify. IIRC, he just wasn't a coach that was able to push us further.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It was time. Losing your first two qualifying matches is a fire waiting to happen for most situations. You cannot justify it at all. The Mexico loss was a disaster and just when you thought it could not be worst we have our worst game in years.

But the writing was already on the wall. The Jamaica loss, the multiple losses to Mexico at home, Guatemala loss, the constant excuses and blame of others rather than taking accountability for his own decisions. He grossly mismanaged the roster in multiple situations. Demarcus Beasley playing too long, Jermaine jones playing when not fit, Michael bradley getting a free pass, and changing a formation for Pulisic in a qualifier? Sure players deserve blame but he made a lot of dumb choices too and the ship has sailed with him.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I do not know what to think of arena. In his day he did well but he too failed in this position in 06 with fielding a bad starting 11 against Czech Republic and losing to Ghana. As someone who had already spent 8 years as Mgr. I don't get the thought of going back to that. I also think that many of the USA Mgrs just give too many free passes with selections I.E. Michael Bradley situation. I thought JK was set out to change that with the way he targeted Landon but he was not consistent and it makes me wonder if he just did not like Landon and made up the rules as he went for his selections. Jk stands for just kidding. He would always say one thing that would make headlines but his actions would show something different. I think arena and bob Bradley were more consistent with their approach both on and off the pitch but also had"their guys" that they would select no matter what so people get complacent and there is no competition

Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New USMNT coach Bruce Arena changes his anti foreign-born players stance
"As a starting point with dual nationals, one of my favorite players in my previous eight years with the national team is Earnie Stewart," Arena said, referencing the former Dutch-born player he often called up to the team.

Arena then said if he made those comments that they don't reflect his attitude, seemingly forgetting to have said them,

"I embrace all players that are eligible to play," Arena added.
http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...changes-his-anti-foreign-born-players-stance/

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Shocking almost like Donald trump saying the opposite of what he was saying once he got elected. Only half joking there...

Beyond that I do not like this hire. To me it is a step backward. JK talked a big game that he couldn't back up and too often did not try hard enough to live up to his own rhetoric. Hearing Bruce already say publicly that he does not anticipate making changes to the player pool is like nails on the chalkboard to me. If you want players to feel comfortable with their half A&S effort just give them a free selection. To me it is time to turn the page on a few of the Older/tenured players who are not producing.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I swear, if Wondo and Beckerman are still around...
Hahaha well he basically all but said that. For some reasOn I don't see those two coming back.

For me the game JK should of been fired was Argentina in Houston. The fans showed out. He said that we are going for it. And then he played wondo and Beckermeister. I know jones and wood were suspended but come on man.

With arena in now maybe Landon Donovan is back too...LOL. Joking but seriously

Lorenzo

Reaction score
kind of related to US Soccer, but Bob Bradley sacked by Swansea. They give up way too many goals. not a good couple of months for the last 2 USMNT managers. It seemed like Klinsmann was always rumored to be in the mix for jobs in England maybe he should have left after all if he had a chance. Not hearing any of that anymore.