The Official US Soccer thread

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how he views European talent. Without Klinsmann, we wouldn't have had our best player by some distance in Pulisic. Let's see if he can find more diamonds in the rough.
How would the US not have Pulisic?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would the US not have Pulisic?

I meant that I hope that they would continue scouting Europe for American talent like Pulisic.

He already has shown he is the best player on this team.

What a great, needed win today. Clutch finishing by the entire team, including Dempsey.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulisic has been on the radar a long time, he was ridiculously good for the US youth teams.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great, dominant win. The only real goat for me was Gonzales. He looked baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Hard to argue this. He was out of position a few times, and made a few bad passes in our defending 3rd. If we weren't so short at RB, we could put Cameron back there with Brooks and have a pretty good pair.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Although he is a good defender for
His club team(allegedly)Omar has not looked good in many of his chances. He and brooks definitely do no pair well. JK never settled on a back 4 for most of his tenure. Hopefully arena gets it right. Cameron and brooks are the best pairing for me when healthy. Which is not often. Good news is they have some depth and youth there. Have to figure out the left back spot. But it might be Johnson after all

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Great, dominant win. The only real goat for me was Gonzales. He looked baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
6-0 with many injuries to key players. Pulisic really helps jozy and Dempsey in attack. It was Honduras at home yes, but I was not expecting that wide of a goal margin.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So I messed up, thinking the game was tonight instead of last night. Can those who did watch comment on how we played? It really sounds like 2 points dropped due to lack of concentration. What did they say about Brooks and his injury situation? Was Gonzalez better this game? Why wasn't Cameron in the lineup?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't two points dropped. Even though it was a sloppy goal, Panama deserved something. They were definitely the more dangerous side going forward.

Gonzalez was better this game, better than Ream IMO. There was a big, big problem linking up with the midfield this game as in most USMNT games. Maybe it was Panama being a better defensive team, maybe it was Jumaine back in the mid field, maybe it is because both Gonzalez and Ream aren't very good passers. Either way, something has to change.

Hopefully we can get closer to full strength for the June qualifiers. 4 points considering how banged up we are is pretty darn good.

I think they said Brooks was fine, but had dehydration and a sinus infection maybe....

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It wasn't two points dropped. Even though it was a sloppy goal, Panama deserved something. They were definitely the more dangerous side going forward.

Gonzalez was better this game, better than Ream IMO. There was a big, big problem linking up with the midfield this game as in most USMNT games. Maybe it was Panama being a better defensive team, maybe it was Jumaine back in the mid field, maybe it is because both Gonzalez and Ream aren't very good passers. Either way, something has to change.

Hopefully we can get closer to full strength for the June qualifiers. 4 points considering how banged up we are is pretty darn good.

I think they said Brooks was fine, but had dehydration and a sinus infection maybe....

Thanks, DCR. That really helps paint the picture for me.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Zusi at right back experiment went very poorly, but the US was in a jam with injuries.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-americas-league-idUSKBN1791QA

CONCACAF will replace the current schedule of friendlies with a "league of nations" competition similar to what UEFA is moving to, which essentially means the US won't be playing in any European friendlies (for example) for the foreseeable future. That's just what we freaking need, more CONCACAF games, because the US and Mexico don't prop up tiny neighboring countries enough apparently. Nauseating.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I missed the last game with panama. I saw the goal pulisic created. a point is ok.. can't afford too many more losses. the one at Azteca looms. depending on how everything else plays out they might have to sneak a point there. a win would be better :)

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bruce Arena will stick with Tim Howard as USMNT starting goalkeeper
Tim Howard will be the United States’ starting goalkeeper for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Trinidad and Tobago (June 8 at 7:50 p.m. on FS1) and Mexico (June 11 at 8:30 p.m. on FS1). Bruce Arena confirmed that the 36-year-old is the Americans’ No. 1 as the team convened for training camp.

“As of now it’s Tim Howard,” Arena said Monday. “He had two good games (in March) and we’ll have to see how these guys look over the next couple of weeks. We have good goalkeepers here so that’s the least of my worries.”

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...-bruce-arena-2018-world-cup-qualifying-053017

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I just watched the Venezuela friendly. Sloppy by the USA. My greatest concern is defending set pieces. This seems to be a bug for them going back a ways now.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A draw against Venezuela? Bleh.
It could have been worse, I guess.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
A draw against Venezuela? Bleh.
It could have been worse, I guess.
The USA were definitely the better side. they were just not clinical up front or defending set pieces. A lot of chaos just sloppy and wreckless at times. Hopefully just from rust and not being used to playing together. But the effort was strong. That's good to see considering some of the critiques in the past were that they were not passionate enough.

Pulisic is being asked to do a lot playing the 10. He will be there eventually but that is not his everyday role with his club. In spite of arena's comments of wanting players to have specific roles Fabian Johnson yet has a new role and has not played much on the right with yedlin. That looked unorganized at times. The question should be how to arrange our attacking players. Jozy and Dempsey don't fit together. But wood and Dempsey did not work well either. Dempsey can drop but I don't think he is keen on that. Wood seems to score more on his own as a 9. I do not think Dempsey should start at Mexico.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The women's soccer team won today against Sweden.
Hoping that the men are able to do the same.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Nice to see that they got the win with plenty of chances to score goals. The talent is there with this team. How did they line up? Interesting that wood was on the bench. Who should be starting wood or Dempsey? The good thing is they are all servicing one another.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake