The Official US Soccer thread

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
They restarted a womens league for soccer .... i remember watching bits of a couple games last year ... i know there was a team in philly (which was broadcast both times) ... may of been a regional network .... really can't remember, they were more "stumbled across it" viewing

I'll watch collegiate softball when it's on ... although I don't go out of my way to look for it

Golf - i'll check in on major, but that's just about it ... but I had a fondness for the ladies going back to that tournament (which has since lost it's sponsorship) .... i would hold the score signs and walk the round with them or do other tasks where I interacted a fair amount and both the golfers and caddies always treated me really well .... even when I would stand in a bad position, etc

I really dislike womens basketball .... i'll watch my university on the rare occasion they get on TV, but that's it

It does also seem that a lot of the momentum from 99 fizzled and died with the pro league they started after that and the "name" players from that era going by the wayside .... not sure how much this WC will provide a bump

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was about the only scenario where I'm not crushed that we lost how we did in the WC final. The Japanese team was 100 percent class--the red card was just a desperate attempt to stop the scoring opportunity. This game was full of good sportsmanship, and it typified what you want to see in any championship game. Japan winning is such a feel-good story that it is hard to be upset at this loss.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
So a friend of mine has an interesting idea of how to solve the should they end games with PK's dilemma. Do the PK's BEFORE the match. The idea is that if a team knows it's lost PK's, they will play differently so you're less likely to have a tie in the first place.

I've heard this idea before too. I don't think it would work though. Whoever won the PK would just crowd the box if the game is tied and wouldn't have any incentive to try and score late in games.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't watch much womens soccer myself, I used to watch a lot more when Hamm, Foudy, Akers, Venturini and crew played in the 90's...I've never watched a single minute of the womens pro league, not even sure if they have a TV deal or not. BUT I'd watch a US womens Int'l match before I'd watch a second of basketball.

I would watch Olympic Softball if it was still an Olympic sport and I don't watch mens golf so I don't figure I'd watch LPGA either.

These sort of looks, personality and athletic talent can draw some consistent attention!

You must be registered for see images

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I've heard this idea before too. I don't think it would work though. Whoever won the PK would just crowd the box if the game is tied and wouldn't have any incentive to try and score late in games.

Yeah, except that kind of strategy against a quality opponent usually doesn't work...and usually ends very badly.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Solo and Cheney are the two cutest in the squad.

Eh, not a big fan of Cheney, myself,

she isn't ugly by any means but give me Alex Morgan over her anyday...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Speaking of hotties on the USWNT, she may not have made the field but how can anyone forget about Heather Mitts?

You must be registered for see images attach

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Alex Morgan = Smoking Hot

Heather Mitts = Smoking Hot

Solo = Hot

Everyone else..... Wants what those three got.

Alex Morgan = The real deal with no makeup needed.

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yeah Alex Morgan is pretty good looking...so is Ali Krieger...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Felt bad for Alex Morgan, too. If her goal would have held up, there probably would have been some significant endorsement deals coming. I imagine there still will be, but probably not as soon or as often.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lichaj has a minor hip injury and will likely be out for the August 10 friendly. And the quest for a left back continues...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Lichaj has a minor hip injury and will likely be out for the August 10 friendly. And the quest for a left back continues...

I wonder if JK will try Chandler there? Might as well give it a shot a friendly is as good as place as any to experiment...there is absolutely no way he could do any worse than Bornstein.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Any word on the date Klinsmann will release his roster for the "friendly" Aug 10?

No official roster has been released for Mexico, but since it is a FIFA date, it seems like De La Torre will be calling up the big boys. Espanyol, Zaragoza, La Coruña have confirmed that the Mexicans on their teams will be called up for the match.

Should be a competitive match.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Any word on the date Klinsmann will release his roster for the "friendly" Aug 10?

No official roster has been released for Mexico, but since it is a FIFA date, it seems like De La Torre will be calling up the big boys. Espanyol, Zaragoza, La Coruña have confirmed that the Mexicans on their teams will be called up for the match.

Should be a competitive match.

It is supposed to be today sometime. I guess the teams are contractually obligated to call in their "A" team...or at close to it as possible.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"I pretty much have a picture of where they are at right now with their club teams, especially if you look at the overseas players, their personal situations, some without a club right now," Klinsmann said. "It’s not going to be easy to form a highly competitive team, but we will get it off the ground."

Don't expect Clint Dempsey to be in Philadelphia when the U.S. team takes on El Tri as his Fulham squad prepares for the start of the Premier League season. And some of the other players currently in European leagues may not make the trip, especially those who recently joined new club teams, including AZ newcomer Jozy Altidore.
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news...mAmw7YF?slug=goal-newuscoachjurgenklinsmannse

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jurgen Klinsmann, who replaced Bob Bradley as the U.S. team's head coach last week, announced his 22-man roster for the friendly against rival Mexico on Aug. 10.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), José Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (5): Freddy Adu (Benfica), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yay for Buddle. Notice he is listing Donovan as a F. Glad to see Chandler, Beckerman, and Torres.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Glad to see Hamid, Castillo, Chandler, Torres and Shea included. Even if Hamid doesn't play it is good experience for him...and aside from 15 minutes Castillo never really got a chance under Bradley.

Not a fan of Clark or Beasley being on the roster...or Beckerman for that matter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake