The Official US Soccer thread

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
My interpretation of Klinsmann's press conference - wanting to install a fast, counter-attacking squad... was completely wrong. Not sure what JK is going for here, but like the inclusion of Orozco-Fiscal, Castillo, Torres and Beckerman into the Starting XI.

Not a huge Beckerman fan, but like to see how he matures with more MNT minutes.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddle? Ugh...

And ESPN needs to get this Little League garbage off my TV

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well one thing is for sure, we would never have seen a lineup like that with Bradley.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Great subs. A number of positives from the youngsters. Enjoyed watching the energenic play in the 2nd half. Happy.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ugh, what an embarrassing Final 30 for Mexico. We're a much better team than we showed.

Torres and Shea looked good for the US. Decent debut for Klinsmann, really wish we could've rained on his parade, but the US was tough and their midfield was solid, and made some good plays for them.
You must be registered for see images

Sidenote: After complaining that games should be held outside of LA/CHI/NYC, I really expected a lot more people to show up to the game. Seems like less than half of the Link was filled. Weak.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am happy with the outcome, the US was clearly outclassed the first half but looked much more capable in the second half.

JK will certainly have to find a spot on the field for Shea now...he was dangerous in the time he had on the field and is one of the best players in MLS.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice second half. The US Subs looked great.

They played one or two touch football and it was great. The defense was solid, although Castillo looked lost out there at times.

Great start for Klinsmann.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They played one or two touch football and it was great. The defense was solid, although Castillo looked lost out there at times.

Great start for Klinsmann.
Shea, Rogers, and the other youngster sub Onyewoo or whatever made it worth actually watching. They also energized certain older players who were just standing around watching.

The refs were perplexing. How do you miss obvious corner kicks/red cards? I don't fault the ref for not calling the penalty shots the US seemed to be looking for, but I could see getting one of those.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Shea, Rogers, and the other youngster sub Onyewoo or whatever made it worth actually watching. They also energized certain older players who were just standing around watching.

The refs were perplexing. How do you miss obvious corner kicks/red cards? I don't fault the ref for not calling the penalty shots the US seemed to be looking for, but I could see getting one of those.

Agreed, there were some major missed calls.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was also please how the defense was able to stop some seriously good players for the Mexican team.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was an incredibly encouraging start for Klinsmann. The first half was kind of rough, with our offense not working at all, but though they pushed our defense, our defense did not break. That goal was just an incredible individual effort. Our patchwork, youngster-laden defense did not break, which is amazing.

What I'm really excited about is that Klinsmann clearly wants us to move the ball quickly and with one touch. That is EXACTLY what a team needs to do to get the pressure off, and it is EXACTLY what Bradley did NOT try to do. The second half was like a breath of fresh air, and not just because of the subs.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that the Mexican player shat himself :D

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
For a team with a new coaching staff with 2 or 3 practices I was very pleased. There will be some growing pains going forward, of course, and it won't always look good but they improved as the game went on which was the best part of all.

I am wondering how Klinsmann is going to incorporate Dempsey, Shea, Bedoya, Holden, Bradley & Donovan on the field at the same time. I figure Jones & Torres will be coming off the bench--Cherundolo will have a fight on his hands with Chandler on the right and Castillo & Lichaj will battle it out on the left and Ream & Orozco (& eventually Omar Gonzalez) will fight with Goodson & Bocanegra. Building depth with youth is a good thing.

If Jozy keeps getting playing time in Holland (and being productive), Adu finally starts getting good minutes (latest is he is headed to Chivas USA) and Agudelo continues to improve there may actually be some attacking bite to the team...maybe not world class individual players but guys who can be somewhat dangerous.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
According to Soccer By Ives...Adu is going to be playing for the Phil. Union, Chivas USA passed on their chance to sign him.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random thoughts from last night:

Howard - Did he even have to make an actual save? I don't recall him having to deal with anything other than slow rolling squibblers and errant crosses. Didn't have a chance on the goal.

Cherundolo - Not much to complain about defensively but didn't press forward much or link up with Donovan like he does when he's on.

Bocanegra - By far the best defender last night for the US. Patrolled the center back spot well, no scary scrambles in the box like we saw during the Gold Cup. Had the great header on the corner, unlucky to strike it right at the GK when he had all that net.

Orozco Fiscal - Didn't really notice him often which is probably a good thing for a CB we haven't really seen.

Castillo - Simply put, he had a bad night. Whiffed on a couple clears, had that embarrassing play where the cross hit him in the back of the head for a corner. Don't want to be too harsh since Mexico didn't have a whole lot of clear chances, but suffice to say the search for a half way decent LB continues.

Donovan - A little too quiet in the first half, but certainly came alive in the second, especially in the last 30 minutes or so once the subs started coming in. Had the nice cross early that Jones just couldn't get on the end of. Had his mojo working when he burned past everybody on the left side then cut into the box, which almost certainly should have earned him a kick at the penalty spot, considering the defender got two legs and zero ball.

Torres - Had a few nice moments but he also gave up the ball too easily with some poor passing. Lucky that none of them led to a successful counter-attack.

Beckerman - Looked in control while taking care of the defensive midfield duties. The pleasant surprise of the night as far as starters go, he could get a few more looks in that role if the US keeps experimenting with a 4-2-3-1 or similar.

Bradley - He seemed a bit out of place in what was supposed to be a more attacking role. He never really linked up or provided much support to the forward. May see him go back to more defensive midfield role next game. It'll be interesting to see how his club situation shakes out.

Jones - He just doesn't look comfortable out there with his teammates yet. Hopefully he will begin to gel a bit as time goes on, because the US doesn't have a lot of EPL/Bundesliga starter material to throw out there at the moment. Had the odd moment where he didn't even react to the GK clearing the ball off his foot on the Boca header. His seat becomes a little hotter with Holden coming back (plus the likes of Shea).

Buddle - He's terrible. Didn't have enough help but he was completely invisible the entire night. Hopefully this experiment ends as quickly as it began.

Shea - The US turnaround sure seemed to coincide with Shea entering the game. What a beautiful, inch perfect cross to Rogers. Had the other decent shot that forced the keeper to stretch, but just couldn't get enough on it. Hope to see more of what he can do in one of the September friendlies.

Rogers - Actually looked great in his limited time for the US, something that we've rarely ever seen from him. I'm still not sold, but he played well enough last night to earn a reprieve.

Agudelo - Looked far more dangerous in far less playing time than Buddle. Had some creative moments on the ball but occasionally held on just a second too long. Also had the fantastic pass to Rogers where he was hauled down.

Amateurs of the night:
Referee - He missed the obvious corner, the Donovan take down in the box, and then didn't show a red when Rodgers was clearly behind the last man at the time of contact. What a disaster.

ESPN - Cutting to ESPNEWS so you can finish a little league *qualifier* (not even the LLWS)? What a joke. Who is watching little leagues on TV anyways?

All in all a decent effort, neither team deserved better than a draw. For all their possession in the first half, Mexico really didn't have many dangerous chances. Over the whole game, the US produced more quality scoring opportunities, and Mexico was lucky not to cough it up late with the Donovan no-call. One minor complaint of the Klinsmann era, I don't quite dig the old school uni 1-11 numbering with no names on the back considering how many rarely seen guys were playing, but if they put some wins up on the board then I'm sure I'll learn to like it.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you wrote, but I will add this on Beckerman, he played good defensively, intercepting passes and throwing himself in to tackles but the majority of his passes were poor...and Robbie Rogers did play better then we have seen in a long time my only complaint was he had a clear chance to send Shea in alone on goal late in the game and chose to shoot and it was WAY off, he needed to be smarter.

Pretty funny to read how Rogers played with Kilnsmann in California on an amateur team when he was 16 and Kilnsmann was playing under a pseudonym.

I can't wait until the next 2 friendlies to see who gets called in and what kind of team is run out there. The Costa Rica match will probably be mostly MLS & Mexican League guys and the Belgium match will see mostly the Euro league based players, maybe some invites we haven't see before.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the stupid little league thing. Ugh, what was the point of that?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
@coyotes: Ugh, next time, try using the enter button some. I wanted to read what you had to say, but one giant paragraph makes it completely unreadable.

I loved the Klinsmann/Rogers story. Kind of reminds me when Edward the Black Prince and other notable, famous knights would enter the lists of tournaments in disguise.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@coyotes: Ugh, next time, try using the enter button some. I wanted to read what you had to say, but one giant paragraph makes it completely unreadable.
OK... I edited it just for you.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bocanegra leaves St. Etienne to join Edu and Bedoya at Rangers. Can't say I'm a fan of the SPL.