The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Bocanegra leaves St. Etienne to join Edu and Bedoya at Rangers. Can't say I'm a fan of the SPL.

That team now has 3 Americans with Edu and Bedoya also there. If you are going to be in Scotland, might as well be with Rangers or Celtic, at least you'll play in the Euro competitions regularly.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ligue 1 >>>> SPL
Indeed. I enjoy physical soccer over the brand that the ninnies in some leagues play, but the SPL borders on the reckless far too often. Don't like the idea of National Teamers playing there all that much. Rangers (with Boca and Edu going 90 minutes) lost to NK Maribor of the Slovenian league(!) in the Europa league today, so not a good start to their season. At least Dempsey scored two, granted against something called a Dnipro. It will be interesting to see where Klinsmann slots him next month.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Indeed. I enjoy physical soccer over the brand that the ninnies in some leagues play, but the SPL borders on the reckless far too often. Don't like the idea of National Teamers playing there all that much. Rangers (with Boca and Edu going 90 minutes) lost to NK Maribor of the Slovenian league(!) in the Europa league today, so not a good start to their season. At least Dempsey scored two, granted against something called a Dnipro. It will be interesting to see where Klinsmann slots him next month.

Not to mention that outside of Rangers-Celtic, the rest of the league is absolute garbage. I believe 2nd and 3rd place were separated by about 30pts last year.

On the plus side, Rangers played really well in CL last year.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody get Klinsmann on the phone:

Augsburg, Hoffenheim midfielder and left back Fabian Johnson admitted that he is open to playing for the US national team.

Johnson, 23, arrived at Hoffenheim after spending the previous two seasons at VfL Wolfsburg.

The defender was born in Munich, but is the son of an American serviceman and holds a US passport.

In the past, Johnson has played with the German Under-19, U-20, and U-21 youth national teams but has never played for the senior team.

For the first time on record, Johnson has now indicated that playing for the United States at the international level is a possibility.

"Naturally it's possible, by all means yes," Johnson told YA after the game. " Yes, of course - [if they called] then I would in any case think it over."

"I can honestly say that I have not received any phone call [from the USSF]," Johnson added. "So I haven't really thought it over seriously."
More here: http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=8134

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We may have the US military to thank for our WC team before all is said and done. Thank goodness for horny soldiers and willing young German ladies LOL

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George John, the 24 year old FC Dallas centerback, is off to Blackburn. Might want to give him a call up next spring just in case, as he apparently also holds a Greek passport. Never thought he was EPL material (by a longshot), but what do I know...

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bayern Munich defender Philipp Lahm is not too impressed with Jurgen Klinsmann's coaching skills and has revealed that the current USA tactician only focused on the physical aspect of the game and left tactical decisions to the players during his time with the Bavarian club.

"The experiment with Klinsmann was a failure. We were only working on our fitness in training. He didn't care much for tactical stuff," cites Bild from Lahm's autobiography 'Der feine Unterschied - Wie man heute Spitzenfussballer wird', which will go on sale on Monday.

Klinsmann took the reins at Bayern in the summer of 2008, but failed to see out the season as he was sacked with five games still to be played.

"It was up to the players to come together before a match and discuss how we were going to play. All the players knew after about eight weeks that it was not going to work out with Klinsmann. The remainder of that campaign was nothing but limiting the damage."

Lahm

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chase for Club Tijuana forward Joe Benny Corona just got a bit more interesting.

Corona has been called up by Mexico's Under-22 side for a pair of matches against Chile's Under-22s. Corona is joined on the roster by another California native, Chivas de Guadalajara left back Miguel Angel Ponce.

Corona has two goals in the Apertura for the Xoloitzcuintles (or Xolos) in their first season since being promoted into the Mexican Primera Division. Corona's rising star began during the Xolos drive for promotion, with Corona even scoring the goal that decided Club Tijuana's promotion playoff. In addition to his ability to represent Mexico and the U.S., Corona is also eligible to represent El Salvador, his mother's birth nation.

In a recent ESPN profile of Corona, Corona stated that he had been on former U.S. national team Bob Bradley's preliminary roster for the Aug. 10 friendly against Mexico but didn't end up making the final roster after Bradley's firing. During his conversation with ESPN, Corona admitted that he has been in contact with the current regime under Jurgen Klinsmann, who sent a scout to watch him in a recent match against Puebla.
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...d-up-by-mexican-u-22s-admits-us-interest.html

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Hopefully he enjoys keeping the bench warm. Regardless, we have plenty of mids anyway.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full Roster:

GOALKEEPERS-Tim Howard, Bill Hamid
DEFENDERS-Carlos Bocanegra, Edgar Castillo, Timothy Chandler, Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Zach Loyd, Michael Orozco Fiscal, Heath Pearce, Tim Ream
MIDFIELD-Kyle Beckerman, Clint Dempsey, Maurice Edu, Fabian Johnson, Sacha Kljestan, Jeff Larentowicz, Robbie Rogers, Brek Shea, Jose Torres
FORWARDS-Juan Agudelo, Jozy Altidore, Teal Bunbury, Landon Donovan

Obviously not the full strength team due to a lot of guys with new/uncertain clubs, but lots of interesting names. Larentowicz's name still sticks out, and not in a good way. Surely somebody like Diskerud would have been a better choice. It will be interesting to see what kind of role they envision for Johnson. Sure he's listed as a midfielder here, but with LB still a sore spot and no Lichaj, one would think he could get a look there at some point.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Sacha Kljestan! I'm now officially rooting for the kid. He's like Rasputin - appearantly, you just can't get rid of him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sacha Kljestan! I'm now officially rooting for the kid. He's like Rasputin - appearantly, you just can't get rid of him.

Boo! I HATE this guy. He sucks out loud!

Johnson was never even in consideration for the German team so far.

Fail. Your soccer arrogance rears its ugly head once again. He switched allegiance--he had played for the younger national team, and has switched allegiance. Who mentioned or cares whether he was 'considered' for the German team? You just felt the need to plug that your national team didn't want him anyway.

Oh, and I didn't know you were from Germany.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm upset that Freddie Adu wasn't selected for this team.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm upset that Freddie Adu wasn't selected for this team.

+1

I am confused about the love for Tim Ream. I don't get it. I am also confused about the lack of call ups for Omar Gonzalez. The guy is a beast on the back line. He dominates MLS and Ream gets dominated by MLS. Am I missing part of the equation? As long as he gets a look for qualifying.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Fail. Your soccer arrogance rears its ugly head once again. He switched allegiance--he had played for the younger national team, and has switched allegiance. Who mentioned or cares whether he was 'considered' for the German team? You just felt the need to plug that your national team didn't want him anyway.

Fabian Johnson, who started for Germany in the final of the Under-21 European Championship just two years ago, switched allegiance to the United States...

Now Johnson sucks though.

:sarcasm:

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These players were called up for Mexico's team for the U22/olympic team that will be competing in the 2011 Panamerican games.

I looked up the countries competing in this tournament, and the US is one of them. I'm not sure if they'll be sending a football team or not, but if they do, who will they be including?
The US is not sending a team this time (neither is Canada for that matter). There was not a qualifying tournament for the North American teams like for Central America/Caribbean and South America.