The Official US Soccer thread

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The US is not sending a team this time (neither is Canada for that matter). There was not a qualifying tournament for the North American teams like for Central America/Caribbean and South America.

That seems strange. Do you know of a reason why they're not sending a team?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happens quite a bit with the Pan American games, the US skipped in 2003 as well. Some teams opt out to schedule their own youth games instead.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Happens quite a bit with the Pan American games, the US skipped in 2003 as well. Some teams opt out to schedule their own youth games instead.

I meant to say that its strange that they have 398 participants (2nd most in the tournament) and none of them happen to be football players. Especially since the football teams that participate are typically the nation's olympic team, something that JK has been summoned to work on.

Its unfortunate that they didn't send a team. Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Mexico, Chile, Colombia all did, it should be very competitive.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I meant to say that its strange that they have 398 participants (2nd most in the tournament) and none of them happen to be football players. Especially since the football teams that participate are typically the nation's olympic team, something that JK has been summoned to work on.

Its unfortunate that they didn't send a team. Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Mexico, Chile, Colombia all did, it should be very competitive.

I haven't seen a statement from either US Soccer or US Olympics explaining why they didn't choose to send a team. Could be that they don't yet have a Olympic coach in place...who knows for sure.

I would have liked to see them send a team obviously, just for the competition.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Its a USSF decision. Same thing as 2003, basically everybody else under the USOC umbrella sent their athletes, USSF decided not to. I imagine the USSF will schedule their own tour or tournament before the Olympic qualifiers in March.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Potential call up Daniel Williams joins Fabian Johnson at Hoffenheim. If this whole German/American thing works out, anybody think that Brazil would mind if we built an Air Force Base there?

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its a USSF decision. Same thing as 2003, basically everybody else under the USOC umbrella sent their athletes, USSF decided not to. I imagine the USSF will schedule their own tour or tournament before the Olympic qualifiers in March.

I think I've got an answer. It seems qualification (at least for concacaf region) for the 2011 Panamerican games was obtained through the final standings of the 2011 concacaf U20 tournament/ U20 WC qualification. The US did not qualify for that world cup, therefore they did not qualify for the Panam games.

The CONCACAF Under-20 Championship was expanded to 12 teams beginning in 2011 and determined the 4 CONCACAF teams that participated at the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup to be held in Colombia. Also, 3 CONCACAF teams qualified to participate at the 2011 Pan American Games (except the already qualified hosts Mexico).

4 teams qualified for the 2011 Pan American Games. The highest finisher from each the Caribbean and Central American regions will qualify, along with the best qualifying team from either region
  • You must be registered for see images attach
    Mexico (host nation)
    Cuba (The highest finisher from Caribbean Region)
    Guatemala (The highest finisher from Central Armerican Region)
    Costa Rica (best qualifying team from both Region)
Its a shame, it seems like the US had a very talented team.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems significantly different from how theyve always done it but ok.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Tonights line up versus Costa Rica...

Howard; Chandler, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (capt.), Castillo; Donovan, Edu, Torres; Rogers, Altidore, Shea

I am not a big fan of Rogers starting otherwise no problems.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This should be an easy win for the US. Aside from Navas, Costa Rica has a a pretty weak team filled with local and MLS players. No Ruiz, Campbell, or Uruena on the attack.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
10 minutes left but all I can say is very disappointing, Rogers & Castillo were garbage and Donovan should have put the US up 1-0 very early...lack of quality finishing for the US strikes again.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the organization, possession was impressive in the first half, passing was mediocre I suppose, but the strikers were just full of suck and fail tonight.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fire Bradley.

Erm... never mind. Castillo has a concrete touch. Every time he tries to dribble it up he kicks it five feet too hard to the other team. Horrendous.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine what this team would be capable of if they had someone like Giuseppe Rossi up front. *sigh* Just one good striker. It's all I ask.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Watching Castillo is like someone stabbing my eyes out with a spoon... Get that guy out of here. BTW more Agudelo pleaseeeee

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved the first half. If we can play like that for 90 minutes, we will be just fine. The 2nd half left a lot to be desired. We needed better substitutions.

Castillo played horrible as everyone said. It is almost like he is forcing some of the Latin players into the lineup to lure more to come over. Torres was the man of the match though IMO.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Soccer by Ives Starting XI

-----------Altidore---------------------------

-----Shea-----------------------------Dempsey--------

----------------------Torres----------------------------

----------------Edu----------Beckerman--------------

Spector----Bocanegra-------Goodson-----Cherundolo

-----------------------Howard----------------------------

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Effing ESPN, screwing up the game.

Little league vs Mexico, Tennis vs Costa Rica, and now Nascar. I know that these are just friendlies, but espn is absolutely pathetic for letting these events cut into a national team game. In no other country in the world would it be ok this happen.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm aware, I'm just bothered by the fact that minor events like the LLWS, Tennis, and Nascar would hold up the broadcast of the game.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is almost like he is forcing some of the Latin players into the lineup to lure more to come over. Torres was the man of the match though IMO.

Disagree with that statement, Torres has been the US' best player under Klinsmann...He's there because he's played well, not as bait for others. In Castillo's defense, his competition for that spot isn't exactly better than him. I thought Chandler would be a step up from some of the other left backs. Not the case.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake