The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For October friendlies:

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...-Calls-22-Players-for-October-Friendlies.aspx

Beasley returns, and Williams and Hamid would be making their first appearances IIRC should they get into a game.

I hope Onyewu can regain some for. I don't know much about Danny Williams....

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT: Just watch "Once in a Lifetime" on the New York Cosmos in the 70's. Great show on Netflix instant. Love Chinaglia.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Buddle is in for him. I hope he gets some significant minutes. They need more creativity up front.

Buddle is what he is and he is not the answer up front. He is 30 and is playing in the 2nd division Bundesliga. He has little to no shot of playing in Brazil. Another questionable roster move. This team has a long way to go before qualifying.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Buddle is what he is and he is not the answer up front. He is 30 and is playing in the 2nd division Bundesliga. He has little to no shot of playing in Brazil. Another questionable roster move. This team has a long way to go before qualifying.

Yep...lets continue to waste time with another washed up has been with no hope for the future. This team is an absolute mess, I can't remember in the last 8-10 years when I felt less enthusiastic about our long term prospects.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep...lets continue to waste time with another washed up has been with no hope for the future. This team is an absolute mess, I can't remember in the last 8-10 years when I felt less enthusiastic about our long term prospects.

Agree 100%. Say what you want about women's sports but the USWNT is the more entertaining of the two squads right now by a mile. Watching the men makes me want to throw bricks at my TV. How this country can't find a better striker than Buddle is beyond me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, you can only switch once at the senior level even if you aren't cap tied, so I don't think Gonzalez goes anywhere unless the spring rolls around and he still isn't getting called up for the first Qualifiers. It seems very odd that he hasn't been given a look by Klinsmann yet, since we've been playing guys like Orozco Fiscal and Castillo who are shall we say a bit challenged in defense.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It seems very odd that he hasn't been given a look by Klinsmann yet, since we've been playing guys like Orozco Fiscal and Castillo who are shall we say a bit challenged in defense.

Lots of odd roster moves so far, none of which have helped our woeful offense.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klinsmann addressed the omission of Gonzalez, among other players, after a training session this week, telling SBI:

"We don't want to shake up the group every time we get together too much. We saw that there are players that want to get into this group and they have all the case, but at the same time if you want to develop consistency and you want to improve the quality of the group right now, you need to bring them in regularly.

"It's my opinion the best that are right now available. If there are injuries, there are injuries. But in general, I want the best players always here, and that makes it difficult now for Benny (Feilhaber) or for George John and Omar Gonzalez for example, I understand that."
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/10/report-gonzalez-open-to-mexico-call-up.html#more

It would be one thing if he had said something like he's trying to see as many certain players as he can in the first few games, but if he really thinks that guys like Orozco Fiscal should be ahead of John and Gonzalez then that seems concerning. Good for him to answer the question without ducking it though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let's face it. We have no quality strikers anywhere, young or old.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We finally break through with a win for Klinsmann! All right! The ref was absolutely awful. I could imagine just what Altidore said to that idiot when he was carded for dissent: 'Oh, it's only a foul when I do it, not when it's done to me!' What a joke!

Aside from that, I am greatly heartened by our attack. We didn't even have our best player, and it looked like we were a real threat to break out and score at any time. Of course, it looked like the exact opposite could happen too, because we don't have a functional defense as yet. I put that down to lack of a consistent lineup, and having one of our best defenders, Lichaj, out to long-term injury.

I was incredibly impressed with Altidore tonight. No, he didn't score, or get a good look at goal, but he also didn't just put his head down and bull forward to no effect. He was really confident and cognizant of what was happening around him, and made some great plays. Understanding that he wasn't going to get a decent shot and giving that precise pass to Shea was incredible.

On the flip side, I have no idea why the announcers were gushing about Williams. If all it took was energy to excel at this game, a lot more players would be quality. Speed and energy alone are NOTHING. Yeah, Williams would zip around the field...and kick it out of bounds, or directly to the opposition. Useless. And to get a wide-open, no-rush shot in the box and NOT put it on the net is inexcusable for an offensive-minded midfielder. Onyewu...okay, anyone should put that one in, but he's a defender--he gets a bit of a break. Williams? You have to force the keeper to make a save.

Ah, I'm just so happy with tonight's result. Yeah, we should have had many more, but so should they, so a 1-goal win is probably spot on.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We finally break through with a win for Klinsmann! All right! The ref was absolutely awful. I could imagine just what Altidore said to that idiot when he was carded for dissent: 'Oh, it's only a foul when I do it, not when it's done to me!' What a joke!

Aside from that, I am greatly heartened by our attack. We didn't even have our best player, and it looked like we were a real threat to break out and score at any time. Of course, it looked like the exact opposite could happen too, because we don't have a functional defense as yet. I put that down to lack of a consistent lineup, and having one of our best defenders, Lichaj, out to long-term injury.

I was incredibly impressed with Altidore tonight. No, he didn't score, or get a good look at goal, but he also didn't just put his head down and bull forward to no effect. He was really confident and cognizant of what was happening around him, and made some great plays. Understanding that he wasn't going to get a decent shot and giving that precise pass to Shea was incredible.

On the flip side, I have no idea why the announcers were gushing about Williams. If all it took was energy to excel at this game, a lot more players would be quality. Speed and energy alone are NOTHING. Yeah, Williams would zip around the field...and kick it out of bounds, or directly to the opposition. Useless. And to get a wide-open, no-rush shot in the box and NOT put it on the net is inexcusable for an offensive-minded midfielder. Onyewu...okay, anyone should put that one in, but he's a defender--he gets a bit of a break. Williams? You have to force the keeper to make a save.

Ah, I'm just so happy with tonight's result. Yeah, we should have had many more, but so should they, so a 1-goal win is probably spot on.

Nice to read your review as I missed the game (travelling internationally ALL f-ing day). All I got to see were highlights and nothing else.

It seems ESPN agreed with you on Williams...
M Danny Williams, 4.5 -- Played with plenty of energy, but there was little end product to his endeavors, especially with regard to his distribution. Should have done better when presented with a clear chance in the first half, although he forced a good save from Donis Escobar in the 50th minute.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disappointing result. Although Onyewu looked amazing out there. Easily the best player out on the pitch last night. I was also impressed with Altidore before the injury as well. Timmy Chandler had a hell of a game as well. I was very impressed with our defense as a whole save Tim Ream.

This team is missing Donovan/Torres badly in the midfield. There is no creativity to give our forwards chances.

Stout

Reaction score
Disappointing result. Although Onyewu looked amazing out there. Easily the best player out on the pitch last night. I was also impressed with Altidore before the injury as well. Timmy Chandler had a hell of a game as well. I was very impressed with our defense as a whole save Tim Ream.

This team is missing Donovan/Torres badly in the midfield. There is no creativity to give our forwards chances.

Agree on everything but the last point. We definitely had some spark in the first half. Not quite enough service to the forwards, true, but we were playing quite well.

Williams? Still worthless. He even faceplanted just running onto the ball. Edu had a poor game for how good he usually is. Altidore should have gotten a penalty for that headbutt he received, but it was a bad angle for the ref to pick up. Overall, I thought the ref did a very good job.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on everything but the last point. We definitely had some spark in the first half. Not quite enough service to the forwards, true, but we were playing quite well.

Williams? Still worthless. He even faceplanted just running onto the ball. Edu had a poor game for how good he usually is. Altidore should have gotten a penalty for that headbutt he received, but it was a bad angle for the ref to pick up. Overall, I thought the ref did a very good job.

I thought we hung tough. I wouldn't quite say we were playing well offensively. Defensively on the other hand, we played well - very well in the first half.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you all see the halftime thing where Alexi Lalas pointed out a poor pass to midfield by Bocanegra? That was a very good point he made about losing possession.

And what was with Dempsey trying to earn perfect marks from the Judges for dives?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you all see the halftime thing where Alexi Lalas pointed out a poor pass to midfield by Bocanegra? That was a very good point he made about losing possession.

Absolutely. It's the Barcelona effect. You can't score without possession. Short crisp passes instead of heaving it down the field and getting lucky 1 out of 10 times.

I question that that headbutt was anything but inadvertant.

On replay, I'd agree.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. It's the Barcelona effect. You can't score without possession. Short crisp passes instead of heaving it down the field and getting lucky 1 out of 10 times.

On replay, I'd agree.
Over and above the Barcelona effect, it is sound strategy. Unless you are Bob Bradley, and you like "dump and chase" soccer. :)

Stout

Reaction score
I question that that headbutt was anything but inadvertant.

I agree that it was inadvertent.

On replay, I'd agree.

The problem is that, inadvertent or not, it is still a penalty. If you stick out your leg to tackle the ball away and inadvertently get a piece of the leg, and the player goes down, that's probably a penalty. I think if the ref saw it, it would have been called. I just think it was a really difficult one for the ref or the linesmen to have seen happen.

Also, I agree that we had a pretty good showing in the first half. All the subbing is what killed us. It took the teeth out of our attack, and clearly the Ream sub was a bad one as he conceded a goal he shouldn't have. All in all, though, it was a really good showing against a tough South American team.