The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[/B]

Disagree with that statement, Torres has been the US' best player under Klinsmann...He's there because he's played well, not as bait for others. In Castillo's defense, his competition for that spot isn't exactly better than him. I thought Chandler would be a step up from some of the other left backs. Not the case.

I agree with Torres. I should have been more clear that he was the exception of the rule. Chandler is heads above Castillo because he doesn't completely suck.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that once you were capped in any international match that you couldn't switch your allegiance. Either way, he'll never see the pitch with Germany, so he'd be an idiot to change if he can.
For whatever reason, friendlies don't count. Once you play in a WC qualifier or FIFA recognized tournament (Gold Cup in our case), then you're locked in.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that once you were capped in any international match that you couldn't switch your allegiance. Either way, he'll never see the pitch with Germany, so he'd be an idiot to change if he can.

For whatever reason, friendlies don't count. Once you play in a WC qualifier or FIFA recognized tournament (Gold Cup in our case), then you're locked in.
You'd better not switch Chandler....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus. I never knew he had that kind of shot in him. By the way he plays with USA, you'd never know.

I realize I am quoting myself, but I should take that back. The goal he had in the Gold Cup against Guadaloupe was better than that.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
US women playing Canada today. Shame it's at the same time as the ASU game. :(

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USA Women are going to play at University of Phoenix Stadium against Sweden on Nov 19th. Anyone plan on attending?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USA Women are going to play at University of Phoenix Stadium against Sweden on Nov 19th. Anyone plan on attending?
Probably, and I'm confident I'll be getting a pretty good ribbing from my usual sporting event buddies.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hits keep on coming....Holden out for another 6 weeks

Bolton midfielder Stuart Holden is expected to be out for six weeks because he requires a follow-up operation on the knee injury that kept him on the sidelines for six months.

Holden needed 26 stitches following a challenge by Manchester United defender Jonny Evans in a Premier League match in March.

Holden made his long-awaited return on Sept. 20 in the League Cup against Aston Villa, but Bolton announced Wednesday that Holden will undergo a “routine follow-up procedure.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-bolton-holden

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously at this point it's guesswork, but 6 months from now puts him at the end of March for a comeback, giving him 2 or 2.5 months until the USMNT starts their 2014 WC qualifiers. Not impossible, but as we've seen from Charlie Davies, getting back to national team level can take significantly longer than hoped.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For October friendlies:

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...-Calls-22-Players-for-October-Friendlies.aspx

Beasley returns, and Williams and Hamid would be making their first appearances IIRC should they get into a game.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake