The Official US Soccer thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A penalty for heads knocking together on the wing? I found it interesting that the US player was almost dead on the pitch, but the defender was not even fazed.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude..... Tim Ream sucks ass.

Liking what Jozy is giving us so far. Hopefully he keeps improving.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A penalty for heads knocking together on the wing? I found it interesting that the US player was almost dead on the pitch, but the defender was not even fazed.

All about what part of your head gets hit. There's a spot where you can literally take punch after punch and not be dazed at all--I've watched crazy guys do it time and again. Other spots? Dazed and down. Whatever. It wasn't a penalty called, and I don't think the ref or linesmen saw it. Doesn't matter.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All about what part of your head gets hit. There's a spot where you can literally take punch after punch and not be dazed at all--I've watched crazy guys do it time and again. Other spots? Dazed and down. Whatever. It wasn't a penalty called, and I don't think the ref or linesmen saw it. Doesn't matter.

I disagree! Wait, what? :) kidding.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US will play France during their European tour according to ussoccer.com. Their other November opponent hasnt yet been announced.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be the wrong thread, but why doesn't the MLS play on the same schedule as the rest of the world? I think I saw an article where Klinsman thinks it is a good idea.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be the wrong thread, but why doesn't the MLS play on the same schedule as the rest of the world? I think I saw an article where Klinsman thinks it is a good idea.

No idea why. That's how it should be.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No idea why. That's how it should be.

A good portion of the rest of the world plays fall to spring but the whole world doesn't play on that schedule. MLS doesn't play on fall-spring schedule due to weather and competition from the NFL and NBA. Soccer, football, futbol, is top dog in Europe. There is no other big sport that competes. The opposite is true here. MLS gets lost in the shuffle as is once college football and the NFL starts, could you imagine them starting at the same time? The league would be buried even more than it already is.

Weather is the other major issue. You have to think about playing conditions in cities like Foxboro, DC, NY, Colorado, Chicago, Columbus, Vancouver, Toronto, Philly, Seattle, during those months. Those cities are a mess in March and April and MLS plays during that time. Ticket sales would be nearly impossible.

For those reasons MLS isn't changing the schedule anytime soon if ever.

Klinsmann has some good ideas, some are not possible, and this isn't possible anytime soon.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good portion of the rest of the world plays fall to spring but the whole world doesn't play on that schedule. MLS doesn't play on fall-spring schedule due to weather and competition from the NFL and NBA. Soccer, football, futbol, is top dog in Europe. There is no other big sport that competes. The opposite is true here. MLS gets lost in the shuffle as is once college football and the NFL starts, could you imagine them starting at the same time? The league would be buried even more than it already is.

Weather is the other major issue. You have to think about playing conditions in cities like Foxboro, DC, NY, Colorado, Chicago, Columbus, Vancouver, Toronto, Philly, Seattle, during those months. Those cities are a mess in March and April and MLS plays during that time. Ticket sales would be nearly impossible.

But Klinsmann said!!?! :)

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Count another vote for Gonzalez, but I am not sure what Corona has done to deserve a call up.

Slovenia was announced as the other November friendly. Just as long as we don't get the same referees as in the WC... sheesh.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Klinsmann has some good ideas, some are not possible, and this isn't possible anytime soon.

Makes sense from a fan perspective. It would be much easier to compete at a global level if it were though.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
building a quality domestic league is important and you're just not going to do that if you run MLS during the same schedule as many of the european leagues

sure it can play with availability for international matches - however, it would be a big obstacle for the league to deal with both the full complement of competition over the winter (professional and collegiate football, basketball, professional hockey, etc) - also as mentioned it's not exactly great weather conditions in many of the cities that the MLS plays in you would add more expense to put the game on while potentially impacting the revenue you could bring in

another nice thing about where MLS is right now, is that players can still go over and get some international league experience after the MLS season is completed

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here is one reason we won't see MLS on the Euro schedule any time soon. This is a picture of Colorado's pitch on Wednesday. They have a game tonight.

You must be registered for see images attach

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Count another vote for Gonzalez, but I am not sure what Corona has done to deserve a call up.

Slovenia was announced as the other November friendly. Just as long as we don't get the same referees as in the WC... sheesh.

Corona holds down MF for Tijuana, was one of the main factors in that team getting promoted to FMF, and has tremendous upside, and he is young. He deserves a look, not as much as Omar, but he deserves a cap if nothing else to take him off El Tri's radar.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is one reason we won't see MLS on the Euro schedule any time soon. This is a picture of Colorado's pitch on Wednesday. They have a game tonight.

You must be registered for see images attach
Ya, great point. Chicago is too cold for soccer until about mid June.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Corona holds down MF for Tijuana, was one of the main factors in that team getting promoted to FMF, and has tremendous upside, and he is young. He deserves a look, not as much as Omar, but he deserves a cap if nothing else to take him off El Tri's radar.

I'd invite him in for Olympic Qualifying for sure but from everything I've read and what little I've seen he doesn't seem like he is ready for the full Int'l team.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd invite him in for Olympic Qualifying for sure but from everything I've read and what little I've seen he doesn't seem like he is ready for the full Int'l team.

That sounds like the case with every player in the pool lol.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Linder and I have our tickets to the USA vs. Sweden game. Anyone want to meet up before/after?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Caleb Porter (Excellent choice for Olympic coach BTW) named his roster for his first Olympic training camp...

Goalkeepers: David Bingham (San Jose), Cody Cropper (Ipswich, England), Sean Johnson (Chicago), Jon Kempin (Sporting KC)

Defenders: Gale Agbossoumonde (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Anthony Brooks (Hertha Berlin, Germany), Sean Cunningham (Molde, Norway), Royal-Dominique Fennell (Stuttgarter Kickers, Germany), Greg Garza (no club), Perry Kitchen (D,C.), Will Packwood (Birmingham, England), Zarek Valentin (Chivas USA), Ethan White (D.C.)

Midfielders: Joe Corona (Tijuana, Mexico), Mixx Diskerud (Stabaek, Norway), Dilly Duka (Columbus), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz, Germany), Sebastian Lletget (West Ham, England), Tyrone McCargo (Nuremberg, Germany), Charles Renken (Hoffenheim, Germany), Caleb Stanko (Freiburg, Germany), Jose Villarreal (Los Angeles)

Forwards: Terrence Boyd (Hertha Berlin, Germany), Conor Doyle (Derby, England), Josh Gatt (Molde, Norway), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim, Germany), Jerome Kiesewetter (Hertha Berlin, Germany), Omar Salgado (Vancouver), Tony Taylor (Atletico Clube, Portugal), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich, Germany), Andrew Wooten (Kaiserslautern, Germany)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...pic.training.camp.ap/index.html?sct=sc_t2_a11

Bill Hamid was the only noitceable name missing but he probably wasn't named because he will be training with West Brom during MLS offseason....Tim Chandler, Freddy Adu & Jozy Altidore are all age eligible too so it may just be for guys who haven't seen significant time in full national team camps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the opportunity to follow the youth teams much, but I take it that Luis Gil is too raw for even an Olympic team?

Edit: I've read others say that Gil could be added depending on the RSL playoff run.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with Fabian Huerzeler, who could play for either Germany or the US.

Last edited: