The Official US Soccer thread

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Caleb Porter (Excellent choice for Olympic coach BTW) named his roster for his first Olympic training camp...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...pic.training.camp.ap/index.html?sct=sc_t2_a11

Bill Hamid was the only noitceable name missing but he probably wasn't named because he will be training with West Brom during MLS offseason....Tim Chandler, Freddy Adu & Jozy Altidore are all age eligible too so it may just be for guys who haven't seen significant time in full national team camps.

Joe Corona is legit. Tune in to a Tijuana game if you get the chance. I am excited to see what he can bring to the table.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caleb Porter (Excellent choice for Olympic coach BTW) named his roster for his first Olympic training camp...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...pic.training.camp.ap/index.html?sct=sc_t2_a11

Bill Hamid was the only noitceable name missing but he probably wasn't named because he will be training with West Brom during MLS offseason....Tim Chandler, Freddy Adu & Jozy Altidore are all age eligible too so it may just be for guys who haven't seen significant time in full national team camps.

Any thoughts as to whether we are going to add any veteran players to the team? You're allowed 3 players above the age limit right?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Any thoughts as to whether we are going to add any veteran players to the team? You're allowed 3 players above the age limit right?

You can add 3 overage players but only AFTER you qualify. Last Olympics it was Guzan, McBride and I can't remember the 3rd...a defender I think.

US is hosting qualifying again, they haven't announced the venues yet.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Joe Corona is legit. Tune in to a Tijuana game if you get the chance. I am excited to see what he can bring to the table.

It still doesn't make him a shoe in to start the Olympic team, he is a good player but he has a lot of competition in the MF (Adu, Shea & Gatt all play the same position he does). The team should be pretty solid barring a rash of injuries.

Mexico is going to be tough though (as usual)..they had success with their U20's and their Olympic team played well during the Pan Am games winning the gold & beating Argentina in the final. Hopefully we don't face them until the final and we have already qualified.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Roster for upcoming friendlies...

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon)
MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)
FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...oster-for-France-and-Slovenia-Friendlies.aspx

http://www.ussoccer.com/Social/MNT-...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Still no Omar Gonzalez...Robbie Rogers & Orozco-Fiscal somehow make the roster again. Other than that no real arguments for me.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

“Con México ya supe como son las cosas, ahora se me da esta gran oportunidad y me servirá para aclarar las dudas que tengo de estar en una u otra. De momento, por cómo se dieron las cosas con México, de donde esperaba un poco más y no tuve tanto tiempo para mostrarme, me quedaría con Estados Unidos", mencionó el Estadounidense

Translation: I saw how things were in Mexico, now I'm presented with a great opportunity and it'll help clarify any doubts I have about my choice. At the moment, I wasn't given enough time to show myself in Mexico. I would choose remain with the US."

Looks like he's made up his mind. Wish I saw more of him during the Panamerican games. I don't think he played a single minute.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last I saw Agudelo and Bunbury were joining the U23 camp. I think at this point Orozco Fiscal is the new Bornstein. How he makes the roster over guys like Gonzalez is inexplicable.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Last I saw Agudelo and Bunbury were joining the U23 camp. I think at this point Orozco Fiscal is the new Bornstein. How he makes the roster over guys like Gonzalez is inexplicable.

Yeah JK explained the Agudelo & Bunbury absences, they'll train & play with the U23's as it'd be better for them to start than sit on the bench. Beasley is getting regular minutes in Mexico, why not see if he has anything left? He is the same age as Donovan so it isn't like he is old.

Totally agree on the Orozco/Bornstein comparison.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow, Dono is only 29? Thought he was about 34.

He's been around so long it sure seems that way, he first started really getting pub at 16...I still remember his first goal for the US when he came off the bench and scored on Mexico. It'll be sad when he finally does stop playing.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been around so long it sure seems that way, he first started really getting pub at 16...I still remember his first goal for the US when he came off the bench and scored on Mexico. It'll be sad when he finally does stop playing.
That and to me, he doesn't exactly run like the wind...

:)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That and to me, he doesn't exactly run like the wind...

:)

Really? He is still probably one of the fastest players in the pool. Not as fast as he was a few years back but looking at who normally starts for the US can't think of who would be faster--Chandler & Shea maybe? Robbie Rogers & Beasley are faster I guess but not with the ball.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah JK explained the Agudelo & Bunbury absences, they'll train & play with the U23's as it'd be better for them to start than sit on the bench. Beasley is getting regular minutes in Mexico, why not see if he has anything left? He is the same age as Donovan so it isn't like he is old.

Because I would rather see what Gomez has. He is also playing regularly in Mexico, but is actually scoring goals...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gomez isn't starting, he gets maybe 20 minutes a game. Beasley is a regular starter.

Hmm.. I thought I read somewhere that he was starting...

That explains it then, as he really wants his players to play 90 min with their clubs.

Thanks for the info.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Porter Adds Four Players to U-23 Men's National Team Camp Roster

U-23 Men's National Team head coach Caleb Porter has added four players to the roster for the upcoming camp in Duisburg, Germany beginning on Nov. 7. Juan Agudelo, Jack McInerney, Amobi Okugo and Sheanon Williams have been named to the squad and will join up with the team when it convenes in Europe next week

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-23-M...rs-to-U23-Mens-National-Team-Camp-Roster.aspx

I am sure that if Bunbury (KC) or Gil (RSL) get eliminated this weekend they will probably be added as well.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Although its probably a bit unfair since Bornstein plays a position with less depth, and has actually had decent stretches at times. Orozco just doesn't make any sense at all.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
CONCACAF will stage the 2012 Olympic men's qualifying tournament at Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., LP Field in Nashville and Livestrong Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan., culminating with the semifinals and final at the home of MLS’s Sporting Kansas City.

The eight-nation event will take place March 22-April 2 and determine the region’s two represenatives at next year's Summer Games in London.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the US is playing in Nashville, just a 2 hour drive for me.

I am debating whether or not to buy tickets to the final, never been to Kansas City.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Torres, Donovan, Holden were missing, so the lack of creativity in the midfield wasn't really surprising. Jozy's time in the Eredivisie looks to be paying off.

When do you guys start expecting some Ws?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Torres, Donovan, Holden were missing, so the lack of creativity in the midfield wasn't really surprising. Jozy's time in the Eredivisie looks to be paying off.

Expecting Ws?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

At this point I just want some goals.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The U23's are training in Germany right now with Tab Ramos & Caludio Reyna coaching while Porter takes his Akron Zips through the college tourney. They won their first match 3-1 against Vfl Bochum (Bundesliga 2). This is a great chance for them to work together and for the coaches to trim down the roster as we move closer to the qualifying tournament.

One thing I've read is that Reyna wants all the US National youth sides to run a 4-3-3, with a greater emphasis on creativity and offensive finesse...I love it. It'll be years before it translates to the full side but it should pay dividends.