The Official US Soccer thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Awful? He barely got off of the bench. Nice try.

I can justify Buddle over Agudelo because he is playing 90 min for his club where Agudelo can't get off of the bench in NY. (not necessarily his fault0 Agudelo is also playing in the U-23's right now as well.

As he couldn't sniff the field last World Cup, do you really think he'll be playing in the next one? If not, do you think Agudelo will have a better chance of it?

Considering those factors, there is no reason that Agudelo isn't getting the experience, at his age, he'll definitely need it. With big goals against both Argentina and South Africa, he's shown he can cut it at this level.

There's just no point in sending Buddle out there if the goal is to get our team best prepped for the next world cup.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As he couldn't sniff the field last World Cup, do you really think he'll be playing in the next one? If not, do you think Agudelo will have a better chance of it?

Considering those factors, there is no reason that Agudelo isn't getting the experience, at his age, he'll definitely need it. With big goals against both Argentina and South Africa, he's shown he can cut it at this level.

There's just no point in sending Buddle out there if the goal is to get our team best prepped for the next world cup.

I personally thought Bradley's substitutions were horrid and frankly the main reason he was canned. Buddle absolutely should have seen the pitch during the last world cup.

With the way that the US has been playing recently, you can't even guarantee qualifying for the WC. You play the players that are best for now and for the future. They obviously feel that Agudelo will be better served playing for the U-23's right now. I don't disagree.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

In fairness to Buddle, do you really think the team was better of with Robbie Findley on the field during the last WC? That was a coaching decision (and the wrong one).

Right now we have nobody that falls in to the right age to act as a bridge until Agudelo is ready..aside from Buddle & maybe Gomez. It sure as heck isn't Wondolowski. Agudelo shows flashes but lacks consistency (same can be said of Jozy although he has been playing much better recently)...he'll be a part of the team but most important for him right now is the U23's & his offseason training with Stuttgart, he'll get better with experience.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
An absolute mystery as to why he ever sees the field. Happy for Buddle, but would much rather see Agudelo up there who actually has a future.

Nice to see Bradley in the lineup, an absolute mystery as to why he isn't starting every game.

JK has his favorites and obviously Beckerman is one of them, he was partially at fault for the second Slovenian goal, he looked lost and Howard was screaming at him. He is a good MLS player but just not a good international.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In fairness to Buddle, do you really think the team was better of with Robbie Findley on the field during the last WC? That was a coaching decision (and the wrong one).

Nope, I think Findley is awful as well.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
JK has his favorites and obviously Beckerman is one of them, he was partially at fault for the second Slovenian goal, he looked lost and Howard was screaming at him. He is a good MLS player but just not a good international.

Yep, there is a reason Beckerman has been out of the rotation...he brings nothing to the table. If you're going to play a defensive mid, put Jones/Edu out there.

BTW, what happened to Freddy Adu? He was the best US player on the field vs. Mexico and showed creativity and control we so desperately need.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, there is a reason Beckerman has been out of the rotation...he brings nothing to the table. If you're going to play a defensive mid, put Jones/Edu out there.

BTW, what happened to Freddy Adu? He was the best US player on the field vs. Mexico and showed creativity and control we so desperately need.

I'm indifferent to Beckerman at the moment. He has had some good flashes. However, when you are the lone holding midfielder and you are constantly getting beat on runs up the middle, you should be held accountable.

Angry about Adu. I agree with you that he was the best player against Mexico. Not sure why he isn't getting any burn with Klinsmann unless he isn't playing 90 minutes right now.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

He's been nursing an injury, also the reason he didn't play for the Union during the MLS playoffs...

Nowak admitted that Adu's late-season ankle injury had the playmaker operating at less than 60 percent.

"He couldn't cut, couldn't move side to side," said Nowak, who added that it will be important for Adu to come to training in January healthy.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-11-11/sports/30387385_1_peter-nowak-adu-ppl-park

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As far as all of the talk about the lineups, I have a feeling there will be some pretty big changes by the end of next year. I think we will see Adu, Gonzalez, Agudelo, ect. There may be (God I hope) a method to the madness with Klinsmann's lineups. I think/ hope he is testing out different players in different situations.

As far as the Buddle argument, he should have played every game in the World Cup as a starter. He wasn't awful, quite the contrary. He scored twice the second they stepped off the plane in the exhibition vs Australia. He was hot. Bradley's use of Findley instead of Buddle and Gomez was mind boggling. That said, Buddle shouldn't be a striker at WC2014 given his age but it doesn't hurt to have him along for the ride during qualifying especially when no one else has proven they can put the ball in the back of the net. Striker is a problem for us. We need a playmaker up top, someone who can change a game and right now we don't have that. maybe Agudelo will be that one day but he isn't yet.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random thoughts on players from the Slovenia match:

Howard - Couldn't really be faulted on either goal, and he was certainly busier than on most nights, but this wasn't one of his standout performances. He did well on one mad scramble in the net, but otherwise a pretty ordinary game.

Cherundolo - Probably the best defender on a night marred by sloppy defense. He joined the attack a few times fairly well, and did not have much trouble with the threats that came down his side.

Goodson/Bocanegra - Just didn't seem to communicate well together tonight. Too many men broke free in behind and the US always seemed just about to get burned. Especially in the second half, where the US merely survived. The US may need more speed than this pairing can provide if they keep wanting to play a higher back line.

Chandler - Very disappointing, this was probably his poorest game for the US. However, you can definitely see the potential and this game doesn't change that. He seemed to be more comfortable in passing and crossing on the left side than in prior games which is encouraging. It was his positioning that got him into trouble this time, but given what we've seen of him so far that shouldn't be too much of a concern in the future.

Beckerman - Simply put, he was not able to help the CB pair nearly enough. On nights where the US is playing so many guys who like to push forward (including both wing backs), they need a controlling force for the defensive portion of the midfield diamond, and that doesn't seem to be Beckerman. And quite frankly, I don't know who that is for the US. That isn't the most comfortable spot for Edu either, maybe Jones. Bradley probably has the talent for that role, but he obviously is a lot happier in an attacking role.

Bradley - He plays knives out. One of the best players on the night, really showing that he never should have been benched let alone omitted outright. Chievo seems to have rejuvenated him, we saw all of the energy he plays with when he's at his best.

Dempsey - All of the cliches about this guy are true. The first being desire. He really does look like he simply wants it more than anybody else on the field, especially the way he bullied his marker to get to the diving header.

Johnson - Solid starting debut. He's got a little bit of Dempsey in him I think, the way he sneakily floats into these little pockets of empty space wherever he can to cause trouble. Fantastic turn with the ball to draw the penalty, and a handful of very dangerous and accurate crosses as well. He disappeared somewhat in the second half, but so did just about everybody else.

Buddle - Outstanding shot on the goal obviously. Maybe his best night in a US shirt, but when you're on the wrong side of 30 and play in a second division league, you have to make the most out of every chance you get. He earned a reprieve at least for the short term based on that performance.

Altidore - A quiet night for him. It was a great effort merely getting his foot on the end of the Johnson cross, how in the world did it sky over like that? He was authoritative on his PK (first as a USMNT senior?).

Bench - With Shea's speed and energy you hope that he can start winning more possessions and be a nuisance on defense in general, especially if coming off the bench late. Edu defended reasonably well in his cameo, at a time when the US looked panicky. Williams at LB is an interesting experiment I suppose, should he get more time there in the future.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who aren't going, the game tomorrow will be streamed on USSoccer.com

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The USWNT are entertaining right now unlike their male counterparts. If watching them in the WC2011 wasn't exciting didn't make you proud as a US Soccer fan well I don't really know what to say. I will be there, row 1 corner flag with my two daughter's that I coach at U5 and U7. Ali Krieger and Rachael Bueller are singing karaoke with fans tonight at Tim Finnigan's in Phoenix. Practice is also open to the public at U of P tomorrow from 11am-12:30pm. Great weekend on taps. I am driving out to see LA win the Cup on Sunday. Epic soccer weekend!

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He is talking about the US WNT who play in Phoenix.

Oh, okay. He just had the day wrong.

On the LB position, I definitely see it as Lichaj's once he's back. Chandler may be good after he's learned and had a bunch more experience, but Lichaj is solid NOW. Not for nothing that he's the starting LB for Villa in the Premiership. I hope he goes back into the starting XI when he's healthy again, both at his club and for the MNT.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The USWNT are entertaining right now unlike their male counterparts. If watching them in the WC2011 wasn't exciting didn't make you proud as a US Soccer fan well I don't really know what to say. I will be there, row 1 corner flag with my two daughter's that I coach at U5 and U7. Ali Krieger and Rachael Bueller are singing karaoke with fans tonight at Tim Finnigan's in Phoenix. Practice is also open to the public at U of P tomorrow from 11am-12:30pm. Great weekend on taps. I am driving out to see LA win the Cup on Sunday. Epic soccer weekend!
Didn't watch. Just not interested. If I had daughters, I might be more interested. I don't. No offense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't watch. Just not interested. If I had daughters, I might be more interested. I don't. No offense.

You missed a hell of a tourney. Shame

Men in Blazers is interesting. Listened to yesterday's podcast.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCR & I are going to the game tomorrow as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be a good one!

Pretty good game. The ladies did show some defensive lapses including on the Sweden score. Linda said I jinxed them as I said, 'Watch out, that girl can score.' and she scored shortly after.

Has Pia said why she doesn't start Alex Morgan? The offense came to life when she was inserted. Was also shocked that she came in for Wambach instead of playing them both up top.

Good game and was glad to be there.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty good game. The ladies did show some defensive lapses including on the Sweden score. Linda said I jinxed them as I said, 'Watch out, that girl can score.' and she scored shortly after.

Has Pia said why she doesn't start Alex Morgan? The offense came to life when she was inserted. Was also shocked that she came in for Wambach instead of playing them both up top.

Good game and was glad to be there.
Don't think that counts as a jinx. A jinx would be something like "she is turrible, can't score."

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

New kits leaked.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here are some of the others that were also leaked. Site is pretty reliable when it comes to releasing kits. Those are the home kits too, btw. I thought it would be a third or away kit..nope.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake