The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I will take the 1 point...US had no real attacking chances and played super conservative.

Omar Gonzalez continues to impress...he won't be in MLS much longer.

One last thing....This current Mexican side doesn't have the scum the previous teams had (Hernandez, Sanchez, Blanco, Marquez) so it is hard to dislike them as much.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We'll enjoy the point, yes.

+2

+3

I agree on Omar.... He seems perfect for La Liga.

I thought the US had only two true chances to score last night. Cameron's header on the early corner and the Bradley run up the middle. Other than that.... Mexico dominated the game.

I wouldn't be surprised in they sacked the Mexico coach after last night. I thought his team was a huge disappointment.

I was impressed with our back line last night. And I never thought I would say that.

My only worry is that all of these somewhat positive results empower Klinsy to continue to make these weird roster & lineup decisions. At some point we have to find a cohesive unit and get them ready for next summer.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Question for you USMNT fans:

Do you see a real difference between JK and Bradley's styles of coaching? Yes, Bradley never got a point at the Azteca, good job JK. It got a favorable result and that's good, but I thought Klinsmann was going to make the US a more offensive team? Last night, I saw the same bus Bradley used to park. Has there been much of a change in style?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you see a real difference between JK and Bradley's styles of coaching? Yes, Bradley never got a point at the Azteca, good job JK. It got a favorable result and that's good, but I thought Klinsmann was going to make the US a more offensive team? Last night, I saw the same bus Bradley used to park. Has there been much of a change in style?

We simply do not have the players to be an attack minded team at the moment. Simple as that. When Dempsey has to go all the way back to mid field to get a touch of the ball, it is counterproductive.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

That's because you're bitter it worked. Against a small/fast/attacking side, with a D in total disarray and your backup keeper, oh, and on the road, why in the hell would you want to play into their style? How macho and stupid would you have to be to play into exactly what they want?

Perhaps you don't watch other US games, but tactics do change game by game based on opponents, and that's called being smart. Would I love for the US team to be Barcelona Jr? Of course, but in Mexico without Donovan, we followed a game plan to a T, and got a result.

Enjoy being the only team in the group without a W!

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not bitter. Mexico dominated the game and held the US to only one shot on goal, but has been unlucky with finishing since Chepo tried to incorporate a second striker after the olympics. While JK has scored some notable friendly Ws and an impressive wcq scoreless draw, I don't believe he has changed much from Bradley's style, as he said he would when he got on board. Also said he would work on developing the youth teams, and that too has not changed from when Bradley was here. Is it fair game to discuss these things without your feelings getting hurt?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't believe he has changed much from Bradley's style, as he said he would when he got on board.

Style is dictated by personnel as much as tactics. Maybe you should watch more US games...they don't stick to one approach and are smarter and more successful because of it. Did you honestly expect them to turn into team Spain in 2 years? You can develop and build your system, but also play to the strength of your team and your opponents weakness. Apparently a difficult concept to grasp.

Also said he would work on developing the youth teams, and that too has not changed from when Bradley was here.

What the hell are you basing this on? Do you have intimate knowledge of how JK's development is different from Bradley? Everything I've read is that they're attempting to completely change the goals and tactics of the team, and in your opinion a complete overhaul is something that happens overnight.

Is it fair game to discuss these things without your feelings getting hurt?

Feelings hurt? I'm feeling great...getting a point at Azteca, Mehico at the bottom of the table...

If you want to see some feelings hurt, check out your buddies chucking beer at Americans. Or you bringing a bushel of sour grapes about tactics after your team chokes, again.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not bitter. Mexico dominated the game and held the US to only one shot on goal, but has been unlucky with finishing since Chepo tried to incorporate a second striker after the olympics. While JK has scored some notable friendly Ws and an impressive wcq scoreless draw, I don't believe he has changed much from Bradley's style, as he said he would when he got on board. Also said he would work on developing the youth teams, and that too has not changed from when Bradley was here. Is it fair game to discuss these things without your feelings getting hurt?

I dont think tactics have changed significantly than with Bradley. I am not sure if that is a matter of the talent available or what.

As for the youth teams...they have changed significantly--both in development and tactically. There is a system of play now that every youth national team must adhere to--before one would run a 4-3-3- another a 4-4-2 and yet another a 5-4-1--now they are slowly making the 4-3-3 the US Soccer system of choice--the effects of these changes won't be felt until the next WC cycle at the earliest. Tab Ramos is doing a good job with less than Thomas Rongen had. Our U20's went toe to toe with the Mexico U20's in Mexico for 90 minutes, gave up a goal in extra time and when they pressed for an equalizer conceded a 3rd...don't be fooled by the 3-1 score in to thinking that Mexico dominated that game, the US could easily have won in regulation with better finishing (same could be said for Mexico). The youth system is also helped tremendously by the MLS as well (even Mexico's U20 GK is a product of --either Houston or Dallas' academy). At one time the only academy in the states was at Bradenton, now every MLS squad has one and "homegrown" players are being signed to pro contracts every year.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Style is dictated by personnel as much as tactics. Maybe you should watch more US games...they don't stick to one approach and are smarter and more successful because of it. Did you honestly expect them to turn into team Spain in 2 years? You can develop and build your system, but also play to the strength of your team and your opponents weakness. Apparently a difficult concept to grasp.
Good for them. Again, how is this different than the tactics Bradley was using?

What the hell are you basing this on?
Results.

Feelings hurt? I'm feeling great...getting a point at Azteca, Mehico at the bottom of the table...
Nah, you're getting defensive over some questions that clearly rustled your jimmies. Thanks dreamcast, zeno for promoting the discussion. Last I checked, CR, US, HON are only 1 pt ahead w/ 7 match days left. Kinda early to be bragging about hex positioning.

If you want to see some feelings hurt, check out your buddies chucking beer at Americans. Or you bringing a bushel of sour grapes about tactics after your team chokes, again.
Its a rivalry, every fanbase has their bad apples.
http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/l...n-acts-classy-at-the-final-whistle-in-mexico/

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont think tactics have changed significantly than with Bradley. I am not sure if that is a matter of the talent available or what.

As for the youth teams...they have changed significantly--both in development and tactically. There is a system of play now that every youth national team must adhere to--before one would run a 4-3-3- another a 4-4-2 and yet another a 5-4-1--now they are slowly making the 4-3-3 the US Soccer system of choice--the effects of these changes won't be felt until the next WC cycle at the earliest. Tab Ramos is doing a good job with less than Thomas Rongen had. Our U20's went toe to toe with the Mexico U20's in Mexico for 90 minutes, gave up a goal in extra time and when they pressed for an equalizer conceded a 3rd...don't be fooled by the 3-1 score in to thinking that Mexico dominated that game, the US could easily have won in regulation with better finishing (same could be said for Mexico). The youth system is also helped tremendously by the MLS as well (even Mexico's U20 GK is a product of --either Houston or Dallas' academy). At one time the only academy in the states was at Bradenton, now every MLS squad has one and "homegrown" players are being signed to pro contracts every year.

Great points, thank you.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Good for them. Again, how is this different than the tactics Bradley was using?

The changes are cosmetic at this point...against weaker opponents, we open up more often, and take more chances. Against stronger, our tactics change. It's a pretty simple concept.

Further, you couldn't be more wrong about the US Youth system, as Zeno so politely educated you.

Again, as I've tried to explain to you multiple times (to little avail), these are major systemic changes, and with most of our current personnel schooled in the US system that preceded, it's going to take time.

In the meantime, it's gravy to get results while transitioning.

You lose all credibility when seriously comparing fan bases.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Zeno, dcr, thank you for your input.

Chris, for the entertainment.

Keep spouting sour grapes about tactics, and talking out your ass about our youth system, you represent Mexico well, per usual.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You seem to be the only one upset by my questions. I've received knowledgeable responses from other posters who actually seemed eager to converse, run along now.

Gonzalez looks like a star CB in the future, his size really helped out in set pieces. Can't see why the team would miss Bocanegra.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You seem to be the only one upset by my questions. I've received knowledgeable responses from other posters who actually seemed eager to converse, run along now.

Gonzalez looks like a star CB in the future, his size really helped out in set pieces. Can't see why the team would miss Bocanegra.

You come back to the thread after an embarrassing home tie, whining about JK not having the team playing tika taka ball yet, and I explain why they aren't, and you dig further talking about a youth system you know nothing about, then get personal when you get put in your place.

If you want to talk soccer, fine, I'm not going to get into a flame war with you.

Back to actual football discussion, I'm excited about the potential of our D. A back line of Fabian/Cameron/Gonzalez/Chandler looks pretty solid. Throw in John Anthony Brooks, and move Cameron to a floating role between CB and outside, and that's a pretty good group, considering D was the most obvious weakness coming into the year.

Offensively, the US really needs to "Parent Trap" JK and Lando, and get Lando on board for 2014. His creativity and skill are desperately needed.

My ideal lineup for 2014

Altidore Dempsey
Donovan Bradley Jones Edu
Fabian/Cameron/Gonzalez/Chandler
Howard

Anyone else want to take a shot at a starting 11?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would remove Edu for Shea, Zusi, Gomez, or Torres. Or maybe bring F. Johnson into that role to make room for Cherundelo, or another LB.

xxxxxAltidore/Dempseyxxxxxxx
Fabian/Bradley/Jones/Donovan
Chandler/Cameron/Omar/Stevie C.

We really do have a ton of options. Other than Clint, none are world class, but they comprise a good core for the future.

Also, since Altidore & Clint do the same types of things, it might be good to keep Gomez up top with Clint. We really need a Charlie Davies type speed freak to separate himself from the youth organization. Bruin could be that guy.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to see Torres come into the lineup (for Edu). He is the missing midfielder that can actually make some good passes. That is, if Holden can't be healthy before 2014.

Bradley and Jones are the 2 defensive midfielders. We don't need a 3rd.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'd really like to see Torres come into the lineup (for Edu). He is the missing midfielder that can actually make some good passes. That is, if Holden can't be healthy before 2014.

Bradley and Jones are the 2 defensive midfielders. We don't need a 3rd.

I'm less impressed with Torres than you...against good teams, he just seems overwhelmed. The fact that the team is also 4-7-3 in games he starts isn't very good.

I can understand why you want his creativity in midfield, and really hope Holden is healthy. When healthy, he was a force in the Prem, something that can't be said for many US players. A midfield combo of Holden/Donovan/Bradley/Jones would provide an excellent mix of offense/defense, creativity/grit.

They might even find a way to get Jozy the ball!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Man I read all of the posts. the fact that this USA roster got a result in Mexico City is amazing and I enjoy to see the disgust in the faces of this mexican team. they know they are more talented and deeper yet they still can't get the results and prove that this "gap" exists.

As far as jurgen klinsmann I think he is actually making a lot of changes. and the complaints stem from that at the end of the day. most of the complaints are coming from the press and former players it seems. he is being a real coach. he is holding players accountable and forcing them to play for their club teams. he's not giving the freebie callups like previous coaches have. he is looking at his entire pool as well, which is what they should be doing before the world cup(as long as they are getting results). at the end of the day they are torn apart by injuries right now so when they get some guys back they will field a more complete roster that can attack more against teams like mexico. will they ever dominate mexico in the azteca? who does? not many. so there is no need to apologize for a 0-0 game there. especially given the circumstances.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm less impressed with Torres than you...against good teams, he just seems overwhelmed. The fact that the team is also 4-7-3 in games he starts isn't very good.

I can understand why you want his creativity in midfield, and really hope Holden is healthy. When healthy, he was a force in the Prem, something that can't be said for many US players. A midfield combo of Holden/Donovan/Bradley/Jones would provide an excellent mix of offense/defense, creativity/grit.

They might even find a way to get Jozy the ball!
torres just seems to be inconsistent. But he would have been a good option this go around if healthy. I like what i've seen from zusi. he seems to be attack-minded and his hustle play in the 71st minutes may have saved the day. they need donovan back at the end of the day(combined with their best midfielders/backs/cherrundolo and whoever is going to play on the left). donovan is the engine for the midfield pushing the ball forward and providing quality service to the strikers.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I was actually surprised with how quiet guardado and dos santos were in that game. they brutally attacked the USA in the gold cup final in the rose bowl. if I remember correctly cherrundolo was injured early in that game?

this game guardado and dos santos seemed to be non factor. do you think this was because the USA defense were marking them or more because mexico preferred to go after beasley with aquino?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ideal lineup for 2014

Altidore Dempsey
Donovan Bradley Jones Edu
Fabian/Cameron/Gonzalez/Chandler
Howard

Anyone else want to take a shot at a starting 11?

I think you've got 10 of the best 11 players in the US pool though it might be difficult to get them all in the same lineup. At least I sure hope Edu doesn't end up one of their better options. I think as Donovan ages and his game changes they might use him as a withdrawn forward with Dempsey sneaking in from out wide in an attempt to jumpstart their forwards. Obviously we haven't seen much production up top recently. Zusi and Shea are options on the wing, Chandler and Fabian Johnson have experience as wide midfielders as well should they choose to get a little more creative. Cherundolo and Cameron are still options at RB, I don't think Chandler is a lock yet.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Zusi as you feel about Edu. As a winger, Zusi has done very little to beat anyone off of the dribble or even shoot on goal. He does work as a 2 way player though.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Zusi as you feel about Edu. As a winger, Zusi has done very little to beat anyone off of the dribble or even shoot on goal. He does work as a 2 way player though.

I don't think all that highly of Zusi, though I appreciate that he isn't the turnover machine Edu is. I think there's more likely to be a spot on the wing than in the middle which favors Zusi, but there's still over a year for somebody else like a Shea or Williams to establish themselves instead. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake