The Official US Soccer thread

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wow..... Never thought I would be seeing Evans get the game winner. Getting 3 points is a very pleasant surprise.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it was a great game. Too bad nobody in the country could watch. FIFA has to figure this licensing thing out, having it on Al-Jazeera USA or whatever they call themselves, a channel nobody has, is insane. The US isn't nearly the only country where strange things like this happen with the broadcasts.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Looks like it was a great game. Too bad nobody in the country could watch. FIFA has to figure this licensing thing out, having it on Al-Jazeera USA or whatever they call themselves, a channel nobody has, is insane. The US isn't nearly the only country where strange things like this happen with the broadcasts.

I don't like the fact the broadcast team is watching the game from the studio rather than being there. But I have Bein sports on DirecTV so it isn't like it isn't available anywhere. A step up from qualifying back in the early 2000's where almost every away match was PPV or worse (I remember watching the 2001 US/Mex WCQ in Azteca on a stream from the FMF on DIAL UP-talk about choppy and pixelated). Yeah it could be better but it is miles better than it used to be.

It was a decent game not great, Michael Bradley was the best player on the field IMO. He was everywhere. The US just has to learn to kill off teams once they have a lead, they attacked early then Jozy scored and when Jamaica was reeling they didn't take advantage and press them.

Brad Evans has surprised me 2 games in a row, I didn't think he should have made the roster let alone be starting, good showing by a Valley product.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I don't like the fact the broadcast team is watching the game from the studio rather than being there. But I have Bein sports on DirecTV so it isn't like it isn't available anywhere. A step up from qualifying back in the early 2000's where almost every away match was PPV or worse (I remember watching the 2001 US/Mex WCQ in Azteca on a stream from the FMF on DIAL UP-talk about choppy and pixelated). Yeah it could be better but it is miles better than it used to be.

It was a decent game not great, Michael Bradley was the best player on the field IMO. He was everywhere. The US just has to learn to kill off teams once they have a lead, they attacked early then Jozy scored and when Jamaica was reeling they didn't take advantage and press them.

Brad Evans has surprised me 2 games in a row, I didn't think he should have made the roster let alone be starting, good showing by a Valley product.
This.

I hate the studio announcers as well and hope Fox Soccer or NBCSports gets a hold of these games.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The studio announcers are just like how European club games are broadcast, they watch them on a big screen in studio and are dependent on a single feed, so they are essentially watching the game just like you are. fox soccer and GOLTV did their broadcasts the same way.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones (concussion), Zusi (yellow cards), Gomez (knee), and Williams all are unavailable vs. Panama on Tuesday. Panama themselves will be without Blas Perez.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what his specific ailment is but he's no longer in camp so no WCQ on the 18th either.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only we had an experienced winger that could help offset all these injuries...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What a great result for us. Our offense looks stellar, even without everyone available. Our defense? Eh, they were quite weak in the 2nd half. Still and all, we probably booked a ticket to the WC in Brazil tonight.

Oh, and another Mexico 0-0 draw. Haha! :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great result for us. Our offense looks stellar, even without everyone available. Our defense? Eh, they were quite weak in the 2nd half. Still and all, we probably booked a ticket to the WC in Brazil tonight.

Oh, and another Mexico 0-0 draw. Haha! :D

In Azteca no less....

That was the most convincing win of the Klinnsman era. Great offensively, multiple people making runs and getting into the box. Cameron and Eddie Johnson had amazing games in relief. I thought Cameron was the best player on the pitch last night. I feel much better about this team than I did a month ago. Kudos to Klinnsman.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About ready to go on ESPN.

Also, the two yellows for the entire round and you're suspended rule is ridiculously harsh.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean sheet. That's always a good day, especially for this team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean sheet. That's always a good day, especially for this team.

Agreed, especially with both Besler and Gonzales prone to make a silly turnover on their side of the pitch a couple times a game. That will definitely need to be cleaned up before the WC.

Love seeing Jozy transform into a player.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US Gold Cup roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): Corey Ashe (Houston Dynamo), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla/Mexico), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Oguchi Onyewu (Málaga/Spain), Michael Orozco Fiscal (Puebla/Mexico), Michael Parkhurst (FC Augsburg/Germany)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Helsinborg/Sweden), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg/Norway), Joshua Gatt (Molde FK), Stuart Holden (Bolton/England), Jose Torres (Tigres UANL/Mexico)

FORWARDS (5): Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

First caps would go to Ashe, McInerney.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere the offer was knocked back. I REALLY hope he doesn't go there, because I'll have to root for him to suck, and that would hurt his U.S. National career.

I dont think Sunderland would hurt his career. They are void of options up top and he would get the playing time that he needs. I don't know if he would be as good as Benteke has been this season, but I could see him scoring 12-15 goals for Sunderland.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...witch-sunderland-english-premier-league-monda

We all knew this was going to be one of the biggest moves of the silly season. We just didn't think it would be an NBA reporter going on-record first.

ESPN's Marc Stein, who moonlights for ESPNFC when he's not covering the NBA, tweeted on Friday that AZ Alkmaar of the Dutch Eredivisie and Sunderland of the English Premier League are on course to agree to terms on a deal to transfer US international striker Jozy Altidore:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake