The Official US Soccer thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He is 18.

Encouraging/convincing an 18 year old to join a national team when he has not even made pro experience so far is a joke. Especially in a country that enforces age limits in their pro sports to even get to the NBA/NFL etc.

But of course it is ok to poach an 18 year old who has not even shown on a pro level that he is ready just to lock him up so that he can't go back on his decision anymore.

Germany brings kids in that are even younger, so stop being a hypocrite.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Germany brings kids in that are even younger, so stop being a hypocrite.

That is just false. (no surprise)

Mario Götze was by far the youngest since Uwe Seeler in 1954 and Götze was also 18, a once in a generation talent and had significant pro experience already (his pro debut was 1 year before he got called up for the first time)

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I think that calling Slinslin a hypocrite is almost as over the top as him calling the Green situation absolutely immoral behavior. Slin is being unreasonable, but I think that he is just an over-the-top, unrealistic, homer, partisan; not a hypocrite.

If he worked for the German national team poaching young Turksih players, then he would be a hypocrite. He is just a blowhard, like so many other members of this board. But he is occasionally an entertaining blowhard so I like having him around.

Hopefully the heat of the Recife afternoon cripples his team and we can serve him some humble pie after the Cup.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Germany does not poach young Turkish players that is the difference.

Players like Ozil are 3rd generation German citizens who lived their entire life here and went through German youth ranks. There is no poaching involved at all.

German clubs and national team does not go to Turkey or other countries to track any kid that has any possibility to legally get a German citizenship to get them on the national team in the future.

It is all about countries like most notably Turkey and recently the USA that seemingly do more scouting of prospects in Germany than their own countries and try to take advantage of the German youth development system.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Players like Ozil are 3rd generation German citizens who lived their entire life here and went through German youth ranks. There is no poaching involved at all.

It is a little disingenious to claim that Ozil is a 3rd generation German citizen since a generation ago he and his family were inelligible to become citizens. Not until the “Volkisch” immigation laws that were in 1999 was he even able to become a citizen.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It is a little disingenious to claim that Ozil is a 3rd generation German citizen since a generation ago he and his family were inelligible to become citizens. Not until the “Volkisch” immigation laws that were in 1999 was he even able to become a citizen.

Zing!

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is not a "nice try". It is a fact, he got subbed in in the 90th minute when Bayern was already comfortably winning against a **** team.

Green is far away from actually breaking into the team, he will likely be loaned out next year if anyone is interested.

He has not played well in the 4th division lately either. He has not scored in the 4th division since October. Calling him up for the national team is purely tactical from Klinsmann. It is not only immoral it is also a slap in the face to all pro players that are trying to make the world cup squad to call up a player who has done nothing yet at pro level.

Not enough people understand this.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not enough people understand this.

Giving a player with potential with the 23rd slot isn't a slap in the face. Should we waste it on a 9th defensive player that shouldn't be on the team anyway?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Giving a player with potential with the 23rd slot isn't a slap in the face. Should we waste it on a 9th defensive player that shouldn't be on the team anyway?

Isnt a slap to US players but it def is seen that way in europe esp in Germany where only the cream of the crop are selected and he is about 4 years away from a thought of selection. Green has a better chance of getting pregnant than ever being thought of to play in the WC for Germany. He has Draxler,Götze,Kroos,Gündoğan,Schürrle,Bender,Reinart, Müller,Özil, and Kruse all ahead of him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isnt a slap to US players but it def is seen that way in europe esp in Germany where only the cream of the crop are selected and he is about 4 years away from a thought of selection. Green has a better chance of getting pregnant than ever being thought of to play in the WC for Germany. He has Draxler,Götze,Kroos,Gündoğan,Schürrle,Bender,Reinart, Müller,Özil, and Kruse all ahead of him.

Exactly my point. It isn't like Green had a chance to even sniff the Germany squad. We also are void of wingers on this team.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Exactly my point. It isn't like Green had a chance to even sniff the Germany squad. We also are void of wingers on this team.

My guess is when the WC actually begins he won't be more than an 80th minute sub. He will get his play in friendlys though. They just want to lock him up for the future.

Sent from an old telephone booth using Tapatalk 2

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oof

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

You are clueless, the only thing the 1999 law changed was that it allowed dual citizenship.

His family was never inelligible to become German citizens.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
You are clueless, the only thing the 1999 law changed was that it allowed dual citizenship.

His family was never inelligible to become German citizens.

I already knew that I was clueluess, but thanks for the reminder. Luckily I have teenagers at home that frequently remind me how out of touch and clueless I am.

I will have to defer to your knowlege on the topic of German immigration law. The assertions in my post were based on my vague recollections from a comparative international government class I took in 1997 and the first article that popped up when I googled the issue.

www.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/opinion/02iht-edcohen.html?_r=0

But Germany still blows.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION – Detailed Roster
GOALKEEPERS (3): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Eddie Johnson (D.C. United), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes) - See more at: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-national-team/2014/03/140326-mnt-roster.aspx#sthash.ODxk3B8a.dpuf

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-national-team/2014/03/140326-mnt-roster.aspx#sthash.ODxk3B8a.dpuf

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Is this the A squad sans Howard?

No.

Timmy, Fabian, Jermaine, Jozy, & Cameron are probably in the running for some major burn with the A squad. That's 5 of the 11.

Aron, & Mix are probably the #2's at their position.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Tim

Cameron - Omar - Besler - Fabian

Jones - Bradley

Zusi - Clint - Landon

Jozy

That's probably the A squad when all is said and done. Cameron will have some competition with Parkhurst & Evans.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Marquez, Layun, Gullit, Brizuela are likely the only A team starters for Mexico..and they may not get that much action, as they need some rest from playing in South America.

Corona/Ochoa are out, and it was recently announced that Peralta will also skip this match to get some rest from the Libertadores. So you'll see a lot of youngsters who don't have much experience w the senior team.

Should be a good match regardless.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Marquez, Layun, Gullit, Brizuela are likely the only A team starters for Mexico..and they may not get that much action, as they need some rest from playing in South America.

Corona/Ochoa are out, and it was recently announced that Peralta will also skip this match to get some rest from the Libertadores. So you'll see a lot of youngsters who don't have much experience w the senior team.

:thumbup:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Agreed.

And I think the most important thing is to hope for no injuries! :stick:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim

Cameron - Omar - Besler - Fabian

Jones - Bradley

Zusi - Clint - Landon

Jozy

That's probably the A squad when all is said and done. Cameron will have some competition with Parkhurst & Evans.

I think that is about the best A squad as well. I like what I have seen from Zusi, but I just don't think he can cut it on the INTL level. I'd love to see what Green can do in the next few games to see if he can give us a true winger on the right.

Stout

Reaction score
Eleven pm? Eleven FRICKING PM? What kind of morons scheduled this match? I will be watching it Thursday afternoon, it seems. What a bunch of douches.