The Phx Suns have a real center

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Please start Gortat, he has earned this big time. Start Dudley and Warrick too, no need to "develop" Carter. Let VC run the bench, let the starters be ligit.

Nash, Hill, Dudley, Warrick, and Gortat.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lopez doesn't sound so bad coming off the bench. VC can help calm down things when Dragic is out there with the bench. Frye might play better coming off the bench.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Gortat with 19 points and 17 boards in 30 minutes. Once he comes in, he doesn't leave. I think he could play 40 minutes and not be winded.

BTW, 19/16 in 30 minutes prorates to 22.8 points and 20.4 rebounds for 36 minutes.

Folks, we have a Center.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Lopez doesn't sound so bad coming off the bench. VC can help calm down things when Dragic is out there with the bench. Frye might play better coming off the bench.

I don't mind either way as Gortat's getting the majority of the mins, which is way more important than who starts. He's also developing quite nicely.

I'd gladly put VC on the bench. In fact, I'd rather he was off the team and I think he will be after the trade deadline. It was nice of him, Pietrus, and even Lopez (I can see the Suns trading him for another big such as Josh Smith) to a certain extent helping their trade value tonight.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When was the last time a Phx Sun got 17 friggin boards? I imagine it was Stat, but I don't remember when. Gortat is the Polish Hammer, he follows the ball to the bucket. He is getting really good with Nash at a fast pace. All heart tonight. He has been killing it the last 3 or 4 games, but tonight showed tons of promise. Lopez is perfect coming off the bench right now, he needs more time anyways.
I am a happy guy, center is such a key position. I hope Gortat keeps this play going.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't mind either way as Gortat's getting the majority of the mins, which is way more important than who starts. He's also developing quite nicely.

I'd gladly put VC on the bench. In fact, I'd rather he was off the team and I think he will be after the trade deadline. It was nice of him, Pietrus, and even Lopez (I can see the Suns trading him for another big such as Josh Smith) to a certain extent helping their trade value tonight.
Carter gets a really bad rap around here, he can play. I would have him coming off the bench just to help Dragic stay calm and cool.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And Gortat was the first one to step between Frye and Garnett to break up a potential fight. With that, and his calling out the team a few games ago right after his arrival, he's going to be a strong, positive influence beyond scoring, defense and rebounding.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Attachments

• dilbert-cartoon.jpg
    dilbert-cartoon.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 742

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter gets a really bad rap around here, he can play. I would have him coming off the bench just to help Dragic stay calm and cool.
Dragic, VC, Frye, Childress , and Lopez isn't bad at all for a bench.

I wouldn't. I'd keep him in the starting lineup and encourage him to become the focal point of the offense. He still draws a lot of defensive attention and I think his presence strengthens our pick and roll game with Nash and a big. If he steps up, it helps us short term and making him more valuable can't hurt us in the long run either.

Steve

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Dragic, VC, Frye, Childress , and Lopez isn't bad at all for a bench.

I don't think he's awful but he's a shell of his former self. He's also a valuable piece in a trade (big expiring contract with a lockout looming). He could get us the one piece we need - a true PF.

We have enough wings to fill in for him such as Dudley

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is just sooo sweet to think we have a center. If he can play like this consistently, I hope Sarver goes for Mello. :D

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wouldn't. I'd keep him in the starting lineup and encourage him to become the focal point of the offense.

As our Shooting Guard, Carter's role has to be our leading scorer every game for us to become consistent.

It is disappointing to watch Vince Carter put forth an effort when there is something in it for him, such as national TV exposure.

It's like dealing with someone who is physically or verbally abusive. You are relieved when they ease up one time, but it is not a happy situation overall.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gortat should start. Dudley shouldn't start cause both Hill & Carter won't react well to coming off the bench on a losing team after being starters for most of their careers. I don't think Warrick should start. Frye is better.

Even though Frye is shooting bricks, he plays tough lately and we need that.

Gortat is simply a beast. Even though we gave up J-Rich for him, I LOVE the trade.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
It is just sooo sweet to think we have a center. If he can play like this consistently, I hope Sarver goes for Mello. :D

I can see us being involved with trade that involved Mello without getting him. We have what Denver wants - expiring contracts. Now its just a matter of getting what we want in return - a power forward.

As funny as it sounds, I can see it happening as the trade for Mello will likely get huge and complicated.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gortat is simply a beast. Even though we gave up J-Rich for him, I LOVE the trade.
We unloaded E-doh! in that trade too. It can work out even better if we do get a PF somehow. A lot of season left, we are going to have to learn how to play big at some point with the stinkin Lakers next door. LOLopez will still be much needed in the long run.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can see us being involved with trade that involved Mello without getting him. We have what Denver wants - expiring contracts. Now its just a matter of getting what we want in return - a power forward.

As funny as it sounds, I can see it happening as the trade for Mello will likely get huge and complicated.
Yeah Mello is probably a pipe dream, I think he and NY are just waiting for his contract to end in Denver at this point. That way NY doesn't give up anything but the money for Anthony. I would love to see him here now with Gortat stepping it up.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We unloaded E-doh! in that trade too. It can work out even better if we do get a PF somehow. A lot of season left, we are going to have to learn how to play big at some point with the stinkin Lakers next door. LOLopez will still be much needed in the long run.
Imagine if we somehow get a beast with the ORL pick.

That'd be amazing. But yea I think we can make a run this season if we get a legit PF.

But I think everytime we win, Babby and Sarver think that "oh this team is good enough, no need to make more trades." It shouldn't be like that. They should be thinking "oh man we're good, we just need a legit PF to become an elite team"

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That'd be amazing. But yea I think we can make a run this season if we get a legit PF.

But I think everytime we win, Babby and Sarver think that "oh this team is good enough, no need to make more trades." It shouldn't be like that. They should be thinking "oh man we're good, we just need a legit PF to become an elite team"
Agree, we aren't there and this game shouldn't blind Sarver into thinking we are. I looked it up before the game, basically the celtics never win the second games of their back to backs this year, especially on the road.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Agree, we aren't there and this game shouldn't blind Sarver into thinking we are. I looked it up before the game, basically the celtics never win the second games of their back to backs this year, especially on the road.
And especially-especially after arriving in Phoenix at 4AM . . . just as we did on the road in a previous game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They're an old team (like the Suns) so it's understandable they struggle on the trail end of back to backs. I think it also helped that we're easy to underrate these days.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns aren't going to win many games by scoring 88 points. I agree this win doesn't mean this team is suddenly good again, but it hopefully helps in the confidence department, and that can go a long way.

Still, the need for a quality PF is evident in every game. It's ironic and sad that now that we finally have a solid center rotation, we are lacking at the power forward position for the first time in almost a decade. And it might turn out that by the time we get a quality PF, we'll be struggling to find an adequate point guard to run the team.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

I think Sarver's willing to make a trade to make this team better. He just has a problem blowing it up and starting from scratch.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It was a plus seeing Lopez draw fouls on their Centers early in the game . . . but it is a bigger negative seeing him confused on defense and non-existent on rebounding from the start of the game.

I still believe that Gortat should be our starting Center, just as I have from the time he arrived in Phoenix.

With scoring as Lopez's only attribute, he could be low post instant offense off the bench in spurts.

If his ego is too fragile to handle that, Cartwright should be able to work with him, for the good of the team.

And I believe that Dragic could get him the ball as soon as he checks in.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns aren't going to win many games by scoring 88 points. I agree this win doesn't mean this team is suddenly good again, but it hopefully helps in the confidence department, and that can go a long way.

Still, the need for a quality PF is evident in every game. It's ironic and sad that now that we finally have a solid center rotation, we are lacking at the power forward position for the first time in almost a decade. And it might turn out that by the time we get a quality PF, we'll be struggling to find an adequate point guard to run the team.
Word. We need a PF pronto.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What about Jared Dudley?

I'd gladly put VC on the bench..
From what we've seen of Jared Dudley this season, what is the consensus about starting Duds at the "2".

Would he be as inconsistent as Carter, or as JRich last season, or would he develop into a steady 20 ppg scorer as Shooting Guard?

He certainly brings a can-do attitude and excitement onto the court, which is what I also like about Warrick, who could be a competent backup PF, if we had a legitimate starter . . . in trade for Frye.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05