The Phx Suns have a real center

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also Gortat isn't a "skinny" or a fragile 7 footer, he is pretty solid. I am not familiar with his history or if he is injury prone or not. Looks like all those practices covering Howard really did him some good, i don't think he will be intimidated easily.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
From what we've seen of Jared Dudley this season, what is the consensus about starting Duds at the "2".

Would he be as inconsistent as Carter, or as JRich last season, or would he develop into a steady 20 ppg scorer as Shooting Guard?

He certainly brings a can-do attitude and excitement onto the court, which is what I also like about Warrick, who could be a competent backup PF, if we had a legitimate starter . . . in trade for Frye.
I like Dudley, Warrick, and Gortat getting the start. And many more to come.
Frye has done better but I think he is proving that he is a quality bench player. Carter, he can still ball and we need his points, he should be a starter but I would have him lead our bench with his Vet skills, and let him know the team is his when he is out there.

dziki

Rookie
Reaction score
Also Gortat isn't a "skinny" or a fragile 7 footer, he is pretty solid. I am not familiar with his history or if he is injury prone or not. Looks like all those practices covering Howard really did him some good, i don't think he will be intimidated easily.
I have never heard anything about Gortat`s injury. Ow, no! I remember! During the European Championship or sth like that he has got a slight back injury but in the next game he played again. So ...
Naah. He is not a "skinny" or "glass" guy. He is like Krzysztof Oliwa in NHL ;-)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like Dudley, Warrick, and Gortat getting the start. And many more to come.
Frye has done better but I think he is proving that he is a quality bench player. Carter, he can still ball and we need his points, he should be a starter but I would have him lead our bench with his Vet skills, and let him know the team is his when he is out there.

Warrick has no business starting. And I'm surprised you have such a short memory about Frye. Sure, he had a bad game tonight, but statistically his games as a starter are MUCH better than those coming off the bench. Always have been.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
I always believed Gortat had it in him. It was just confidence issues, and taking responsibility truely for the first time in his career. The pressure and not knowing how the Suns offense works got him a bit at first, hence the hesitant layups that we saw on the beggining. But it seems to be turning around, and he's showing what he can really do.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's ironic and sad that now that we finally have a solid center rotation, we are lacking at the power forward position for the first time in almost a decade. And it might turn out that by the time we get a quality PF, we'll be struggling to find an adequate point guard to run the team.
I wouldn't be too concerned with that scenario. If we indeed are lucky enough to harness a legit scoring PF (who can also defend),Gortat at center is a decent start,maybe a Dudley at SF(who's currently our most complete player under the age of 37;)),a 2 guard who can score and create a shot.....we wont need a dynamic PG who dominates the ball and is required to fascilitate everything for the other 4 guys on the court.

This is key....>>>we need a defensive rock both at the point of attack(PG) and at the rim(C).
We can get the scoring from other positions(preferrably the 2 and the 4)....as long as our scorer's aren't completely soft(at the 2,3 and 4 spots) we'll be in a position to compete with the elite teams that are out there.

The Suns preferred formula for winning championships sucks.

Last edited:

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Warrick has no business starting. And I'm surprised you have such a short memory about Frye. Sure, he had a bad game tonight, but statistically his games as a starter are MUCH better than those coming off the bench. Always have been.

It's the same with Lopez too unfortunately. I want Gortat to start as much as the next guy, but Lopez is going to suck HARDER coming off the bench. If that's even possible.

dziki

Rookie
Reaction score
What is the most impressive for me - Gortat stats are developing from game to game. Right now, after 18 match it is like that:

24.5 minutes per game / 7.4 rebounds / 9.3 points / 1.1 blocks / 0.8 assists /2.2 fouls and 1 turnover per game. Also 0.74 % FT, 0.56 % FG and 1 in 3P % (;-) ).

or if someone preffers in numbers:

441 minutes / 133 rebounds ( 28 off. / 105 def. ) / 168 points ( 31/42 FT, one three point shot and 68/122 2 point shots ) / 19 blocks / 14 assists / 39 fouls and 18 turnovers.

Quite good I think. Especially if we will add that first few games he played with a little bit dizzy;-)

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warrick can get better with time on the court, and Frye has more bad games than good my man. He is a good quality bench player, he gets used most of the times and it hurts worse when he has the brick-uh-citus. Frye played kinda tuff last night, but I think your memory is tripping too, he is not as good as you make him out to be.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I always believed Gortat had it in him. It was just confidence issues, and taking responsibility truely for the first time in his career. The pressure and not knowing how the Suns offense works got him a bit at first, hence the hesitant layups that we saw on the beggining. But it seems to be turning around, and he's showing what he can really do.
That was so awesome last night, Gortat showed the beast mode option is available in Poland. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Warrick can get better with time on the court, and Frye has more bad games than good my man. He is a good quality bench player, he gets used most of the times and it hurts worse when he has the brick-uh-citus. Frye played kinda tuff last night, but I think your memory is tripping too, he is not as good as you make him out to be.

Check the stats! It is a FACT that Frye is better as a starter. And like sunsfan88, you seem to think I'm saying he's some sort of superstar. I'm not. I'm simply stating the facts. Even if it's that he's average as a starter and below-average as a bench player, that's still better as a starter.

And I'm a Warrick supporter, but he's as one-dimensional as you can get. Not starter material.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It's the same with Lopez too unfortunately. I want Gortat to start as much as the next guy, but Lopez is going to suck HARDER coming off the bench. If that's even possible.

Maybe it will motivate him?

He might get better looks on the baseline against other teams second unit. He's money with that 8 foot hook.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

If he's going to suck more off the bench, the difference will be minimal since he sucks as a starter. Certainly less of a difference than if Frye moved to the bench.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's going to suck more off the bench, the difference will be minimal since he sucks as a starter. Certainly less of a difference than if Frye moved to the bench.

I give Gentry the benefit of the doubt by starting Lopez. Certainly there is no doubt that Gortat is the better player. However, I think Gentry is focused on getting something out of Lopez. I just don't see this happening off the bench. IMO, Gentry is trying to nurture Lopez and he is getting some production out of him while he develops him. It's not like Gortat is not getting the minutes. A year from now the Suns may be blessed with having two productive centers.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Check the stats! It is a FACT that Frye is better as a starter. And like sunsfan88, you seem to think I'm saying he's some sort of superstar. I'm not. I'm simply stating the facts. Even if it's that he's average as a starter and below-average as a bench player, that's still better as a starter.

And I'm a Warrick supporter, but he's as one-dimensional as you can get. Not starter material.
Frye is a 7 foot streaky shooter that doesn't care to rebound. Warrick is tougher and never had the starts with our front line that Frye has. Frye isn't a bad player, but he isn't a starter and has reached his potential, he aint gonna get any better. Warrick, who knows? Warrick has been getting more minutes, so I am happy either way amigo.

And don't lump me and 88 (or anybody) together.:mulli: :D
Besides, we should be drinking the Polish koolaid. :)

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
When was the last time a Phx Sun got 17 friggin boards? I imagine it was Stat, but I don't remember when.
Indeed, it was. March 28th last year at Minnesota.

BTW, 19/16 in 30 minutes prorates to 22.8 points and 20.4 rebounds for 36 minutes.
Anybody know who the last Suns player NOT named Stoudemire or Marion got 20 rebounds?

It was AC Green in January 1996!

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What kind of NBA team doesn't start their best center? This is getting crazy, Frye I can see why he would start. But Lopez needs to produce or sit, no way around it, he lost his starting job. That's how you play B-ball, we aren't the Phx Lopezes. Nobody thinks he will turn into a dominant whether he is starting or coming off the bench like he should be.

Go Gortat! You earned the start bud, hope you get it!:)

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Indeed, it was. March 28th last year at Minnesota.

Anybody know who the last Suns player NOT named Stoudemire or Marion got 20 rebounds?

It was AC Green in January 1996!
This makes me love the Polish Hammer even more.:raccoon::raccoon:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What kind of NBA team doesn't start their best center? This is getting crazy, Frye I can see why he would start. But Lopez needs to produce or sit, no way around it, he lost his starting job. That's how you play B-ball, we aren't the Phx Lopezes. Nobody thinks he will turn into a dominant whether he is starting or coming off the bench like he should be.

And again, it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes and Gortat finishes almost every single game. He also gets the most minutes.

Why do YOU think Gentry doesn't start Gortat? Do you think he's just a bad coach? Do you think he's still trying to work on Lopez's confidence?

Our bench has been pretty poor this season, except for Gortat and Dudley. You remove Gortat, then our bench is even worse, and we've seen what happens when our bench totally implodes.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Bulls are not starting their best SG, there are actually two that are betting on the Bulls right now, but they like the energy of Brewer and Korver off the bench. It is working out as the Bulls have the 3rd best record in the league and second in the East.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
And again, it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes and Gortat finishes almost every single game. He also gets the most minutes.

Why do YOU think Gentry doesn't start Gortat? Do you think he's just a bad coach? Do you think he's still trying to work on Lopez's confidence?

Our bench has been pretty poor this season, except for Gortat and Dudley. You remove Gortat, then our bench is even worse, and we've seen what happens when our bench totally implodes.

Lopez might help the second team score. One thing he has done well on occasion is score on the low block. They could run that iso play for him. Gortat is more effective running the pick and roll with Nash.

Gortat is young and strong he looks like he could play 35-40 minutes a game. Frye could even play center the other minutes if Lopez is useless.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And again, it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes and Gortat finishes almost every single game.
There is another factor here. With Gortat pulling down 17 rebounds, Lopez with 3 actually outrebounded Nash for the first time in a long time, if ever. Nash had 1 board.

Nash not having to rebound, leaving him to save his strength for assists, scoring and some defense, will tend to keep Nash healthier.

Lopez's time on the court is always with Nash (to start the 1st and 3rd quarters), with very few exceptions, such as a few minutes when he played in the 2nd quarter vs. Boston last night. Even then, if I remember right, Nash was on the court.

Gortat, who played his thirty minutes with both the starters and the bench, needs Nash less than Nash needs Gortat, to keep him refreshed. In other words, Gortat's presence has more of an effect on the Point Guard position than Lopez's presence.

And what is more important to us than Nash's playing at the top of his game? (With Gortat's rebounding and defense proving to be a solid second.)

BTW, not only did Robin Lopez's three boards beat Nash last night. It also beat his twin's one rebound. Wow! Of course, Brook outscored Robin 28 to 11 (in a blowout loss).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frye is a 7 foot streaky shooter that doesn't care to rebound. Warrick is tougher and never had the starts with our front line that Frye has. Frye isn't a bad player, but he isn't a starter and has reached his potential, he aint gonna get any better. Warrick, who knows? Warrick has been getting more minutes, so I am happy either way amigo.

And don't lump me and 88 (or anybody) together.:mulli: :D
Besides, we should be drinking the Polish koolaid. :)

Well, I'm not gonna lump you with anybody but I think you're way off on Warrick. He does have plenty of talent but he's been given plenty of opportunities (here and elsewhere). He just doesn't seem willing to focus day in, day out and that kind of player can really destroy your chemistry. Use him when he's motivated for a few games and the moment he returns to form, bench him for a week or two. And Frye outplays him in most categories, especially blocks and steals (per minute).

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's talk about a rebuilding plan.

Is Gortat realistically part of the "big 3" of a championship caliber team?

I don't think so--unless he starts having games like last night consistently. I am not getting my hopes up about that.

So, the Suns need to put together a trio of players that can be the core of a championship team. It might take a long time to do that, but it is what it takes to win it all in the NBA.

Having a real, starting caliber center on the Suns is a welcome piece though.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's simple Gortat>Lopez, start the best player that gives you the best chance to win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05