The Positive Kyler Murray News Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Missed Lamar and Hurts extensions (I had twins in the off season!)… Cousins not done he will get a big 2-3 year deal somewhere.
Cousins has never gotten anything close to those guys, having to settle for one year deals a couple times and then in his prime, a 3 year deal and then two years ago, a 2 year deal, because no one wants to commit big money to a top 10-15 guy who doesn't bring it in the playoffs/big moments.

Whatever contract he signs will have no bearing on the bigger deals signed around the league.
He hasn’t been the main problem… their defense and Oline has been atrocious the past 5 years.
and yet no one has ever given him the type of 5 year deal worth massive amounts of money like the best QBs in the game who keep raising the bar on the position's salary.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My in-laws live in Tucson and prepping for a weekend visit was like staging the Allied Invasion of Normandy.
I feel that pain! The wallet hurts too as we just Amazon 70% or the required items now to places we have storage and know we will be back.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cousins has never gotten anything close to those guys, having to settle for one year deals a couple times and then in his prime, a 3 year deal and then two years ago, a 2 year deal, because no one wants to commit big money to a top 10-15 guy who doesn't bring it in the playoffs/big moments.

Whatever contract he signs will have no bearing on the bigger deals signed around the league.

and yet no one has ever given him the type of 5 year deal worth massive amounts of money like the best QBs in the game who keep raising the bar on the position's salary.
Well no one’s deal who isn’t a top 3 deal will have any impact in reality. I’d have to look but I’m pretty sure Cousins had the most guaranteed money for at least 1-3 years in the entire league.. if not top 5.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Congrats! I'm a twins dad (B-G IVF now 13). It does get better. Eventually.
Dahilg: "had twins in the off season!"

Had no idea...congrats to both of you!

I have triplets. 27 years old...B, B, G.

One boy is 6-7 and a doctor (played D2 basketball).

My daughter is 6-2 and a NICU nurse.

My other son is 6-5 and living off the grid.

Good times.

Every year growing up was a challenge and amazing at the same time. :)

Last edited:

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow that’s some heig
Dahilg: "had twins in the off season!"

Had no idea...congrats to both of you!

I have triplets. 27 years old...B, B, G.

One boy is 6-7 and a doctor (played D2 basketball).

My daughter is 6-2 and a NICU nurse.

My other son is 6-5 and living off the grid.

Good times.

Every year is challenge and amazing at the same time. :)
wow that is some height!!! Couldn’t imagine 3 at once.. thanks!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And by start of next year he won’t even be top 10 paid. I laugh at the people that scolded this deal. IF, which is a big IF he turns out to be a franchise QB this deal will be a steal. Can’t wait to see what he can or can’t do without Kliffy!!!!
It was a bad deal. Think about the hit we're going to have to absorb if we need to move on from him and draft a new QB. We're positively hamstrung and it'll set us back a year.

Were he almost out of team control, the deal would've made sense. Signing him with so many years of team control, earlier than almost any young QB ever, was a bad move. Which many called at the time and have been proven correct.

Edit: My apologies, this is the positive KM news thread. Will take it down if folks want.

Last edited:

urs

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watching how awful these young QBs are that franchises are betting on like Pickett, Fields, Zack Wilson etc., we're lucky to have Kyler who even when he struggled is miles better than the others. Drafting a QB is a crapshoot, hope we stick with Kyler.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Watching how awful these young QBs are that franchises are betting on like Pickett, Fields, Zack Wilson etc., we're lucky to have Kyler who even when he struggled is miles better than the others. Drafting a QB is a crapshoot, hope we stick with Kyler.

omg post this everyday so that it might eventually be understood by everyone on the board.

I shudder to think of us packaging our 2 2024 first round picks to move up to #1 or #2 to make sure we get Drake Meh. It's chilling.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It was a bad deal. Think about the hit we're going to have to absorb if we need to move on from him and draft a new QB. We're positively hamstrung and it'll set us back a year.

Were he almost out of team control, the deal would've made sense. Signing him with so many years of team control, earlier than almost any young QB ever, was a bad move. Which many called at the time and have been proven correct.

Edit: My apologies, this is the positive KM news thread. Will take it down if folks want.

Stout... :) You don't have to delete but can we have one thread where you don't hold us accountable on K1 takes?

You can obliterate us on all the other threads though! haha..

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
i have had the same reaction

for all of K1s faults, the risk associated with drafting a new QB is significant

even Bryce Young and CJ Stroud --while early-- there are some worrying things there

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i have had the same reaction

for all of K1s faults, the risk associated with drafting a new QB is significant

even Bryce Young and CJ Stroud --while early-- there are some worrying things there
Early but Stroud looks ok imo.

Anthony Richardson looks pretty good, but I think a large part of that is because Shane Steichen is a really good play caller/QB developer.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Agreed on risk.

How much risk is worth it? 100% depends on which Kyler we get (First half of 2021 or second half of 2021 and 2022).

Also a different conversation if Kyler was in year 2, 3, or 4. Being a top paid QB now puts more pressure on K1 to perform like it.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed on risk.

How much risk is worth it? 100% depends on which Kyler we get (First half of 2021 or second half of 2021 and 2022).

Also a different conversation if Kyler was in year 2, 3, or 4. Being a top paid QB now puts more pressure on K1 to perform like it.
The troubling thing for me and how the organization reacted is that both issues happened when he was without Deandre HOpkins.

Not that he was great with Hopkins in 2022, but he still had a 96 passer rating in the FOUR full games he played with Hopkins.

So it not just Kyler needs to play like a top paid QB. He has to play like a top paid QB without a #1 WR.

Mahomes - no top WR, but does have Kelce
Burrow - Chase AND Higgins are #1s
Herbert - Keenan Allen. Mike Williams is a really good #2
Lamar - The outlier, although maybe Zay Flowers can be that one day. Andrews is really good.
Josh Allen - Diggs
Hurts - AJ Brown. Devonta Smith is getting dangerously close to being #1 quality as well.

And then there is up in the air QBs in Kyler, Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson.

Cooper is still maaaayyybbee a #1, but Watson looks terrible in Cleveland's offense (similar system to Petzing)
Russ is past his prime but Jeudy and Sutton is a solid WR duo imo.

And then there's Kyler throwing to old man Ertz, decent Michael Wilson and hopefully healthy by the time he returns Hollywood Brown.

Again I dont think the organization went out of their way to help Kyler prove he's a franchise QB. He's just gonna have to figure it out. And unlike Lamar, he's coming off an ACL injury so who knows how much his running ability can offset the WR core.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The troubling thing for me and how the organization reacted is that both issues happened when he was without Deandre HOpkins.

Not that he was great with Hopkins in 2022, but he still had a 96 passer rating.

So it not just Kyler needs to play like a top paid QB. He has to play like a top paid QB without a #1 WR.

Lamar - The outlier, although maybe Zay Flowers can be that one day. Andrews is really good.
Josh Allen - Diggs
Hurts - AJ Brown. Devonta Smith is getting dangerously close to being #1 quality as well.

And then there is up in the air QBs in Kyler, Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson.

Cooper is still maaaayyybbee a #1, but Watson looks terrible in Cleveland's offense (similar system to Petzing)

And then there's Kyler throwing to old man Ertz, decent Michael Wilson and hopefully healthy by the time he returns Hollywood Brown.

Again I dont think the organization went out of their way to help Kyler prove he's a franchise QB. He's just gonna have to figure it out. And unlike Lamar, he's coming off an ACL injury so who knows how much his running ability can offset the WR core.
Only argument I'll throw in there is Kyler and Hollywood were on fire last year, the 1st 6 games without Hop. Just never got much of an opportunity to see all 3 together.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Only argument I'll throw in there is Kyler and Hollywood were on fire last year, the 1st 6 games without Hop. Just never got much of an opportunity to see all 3 together.

Kyler had 6 TD's and 4 INT's in first 6 games last year. I would call that "average at best".

Hollywood was on fire for sure.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score

Not that he was great with Hopkins in 2022, but he still had a 96 passer rating in the FOUR full games he played with Hopkins.

Josh Allen - Diggs

Josh Allen - Diggs

Your point is fair, I’d argue that for his contract, he should be the kind of player that elevates the play of those around him, which has never quite been his reputation. I think when he comes back- I’m not looking for nfl mvp play this year. I’m looking for:
-sustained drives that end in points
-good decision making, even if that is taking checkdowns/throwing it away
-threat on his feet still
-No more YOLO throws, blind route throws without reading the defenses, inability to work under center (aka not in shotgun position)

Basically asking for solid/good QB play

If he can do that- then to your point when we hopefully draft a Marvin Harrison Jr or bring in a true #1 - then the expectation is for excellence/mvp type play.

I know it’s the positive kyler Murray thread- but the most positive I can be is that the jury is still out on him. he both deserves a chance and has a lot to prove this season when he comes back.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Josh Allen - Diggs

FWIW I don't think that Kyler needs to come back and be an MVP candidate. I think he needs to come back and be a pro, do the work, learn the system, and be open to criticism.

Coaches and front office people are conservative. They're not going to throw away the boss's money unless the downside is pretty low and/or the upside is extremely high. Kyler's upside is the best player in the NFL. He has to show that his downside is better than, like, Ryan Tannehill.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So apparently, Kyler posted a workout video with the caption “soon” along with it…. Fwiw

Doesn’t sound like somebody taking a season off like several have suggested

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22