The Positive Kyler Murray News Thread

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So apparently, Kyler posted a workout video with the caption “soon” along with it…. Fwiw

Doesn’t sound like somebody taking a season off like several have suggested

Social media is always an accurate indicator of reality
Early but Stroud looks ok imo.

Anthony Richardson looks pretty good, but I think a large part of that is because Shane Steichen is a really good play caller/QB developer.

Some of the “all 22” stuff on Stroud looks promising. His OL and WR are an abomination though.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FWIW I don't think that Kyler needs to come back and be an MVP candidate. I think he needs to come back and be a pro, do the work, learn the system, and be open to criticism.

Coaches and front office people are conservative. They're not going to throw away the boss's money unless the downside is pretty low and/or the upside is extremely high. Kyler's upside is the best player in the NFL. He has to show that his downside is better than, like, Ryan Tannehill.
I hear you, but if they truly are in position to take Caleb or Maye I dont know if the organization will see solid as good enough.

Remember people thought the Lions should have drafted a QB (2021 or 2022 draft?) even though Goff was solid.
Seahawks, although Geno is older, were seriously considering Anthony RIchardson if he was there.

I think for Kyler to dead the Maye or Williams talk he has to play really well imo. Not saying he cant, but that Texans pick is looking like a top 2 pick.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I hear you, but if they truly are in position to take Caleb or Maye I dont know if the organization will see solid as good enough.

Remember people thought the Lions should have drafted a QB (2021 or 2022 draft?) even though Goff was solid.
Seahawks, although Geno is older, were seriously considering Anthony RIchardson if he was there.

I think for Kyler to dead the Maye or Williams talk he has to play really well imo. Not saying he cant, but that Texans pick is looking like a top 2 pick.

I mean, if the coaching staff and front office are going to be swayed by "what people" think, we're probably already lost.

Every high QB pick has risk. If Kyler shows he can and will put the work in when things get tough and not fall back into bad or old habits, he 100% provides less downside risk than Caleb or Maye and similar upside.

The difference then is payroll and whether Kyler's timeline is close enough to the Cardinals (and if you can unload Kyler's deal on someone).

The Lions could've drafted Justin Fields or Mac Jones the year they acquired Goff (2021). That's actually a good comparison. It's all stepped-down an octave, but those dudes' upsides were about equivalent to what Goff had already proven to be his best-case scenario.

In 2022 there wasn't a QB picked until Kenny Pickett at 20th overall.

I have no idea if the Seahawks were considering Anthony Richardson. Maybe they were, but his upside is probably higher than Geno's, and Smith's contract has an out after this season. Even then, they traded for Drew Lock for a reason. He's a free agent after this year, but got re-signed by Seattle.

I think this coaching staff and front office are working to keep their jobs first and win second. You get into that habit and it's hard to escape. Maybe Kyler has to show he's better than Ryan Tannehill. The Vikes have paid Kirk Cousins a crazy amount of money, and this staff is familiar with what a player like that can do.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe. I actually think it'll have less to do with his play on the field than in his attitude in practice, his ability to take correction, and how he handles the adversity of another lost season.

There are no sure things in the NFL. If Kyler can check the three boxes noted above to the satisfaction of the coaching staff, I really believe he's a less risky option than Maye or Williams.

You bring up some good points here. His whole outlook this off-season has been quite good. I expect it will continue once he plays.

His main negative now may be his injury history. Plus his trend in the past of becoming much less effective as the season progresses.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Both of these teams need a QB.

Imagine them getting paid what Kyler is getting right now. SMH

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to be more harsh here...very low bar.

Dude has been here, the face of our franchise, got PAID, and has done/said some stupid stuff. Plus he regressed big time in 2022.

He SHOULD have been a "different person" all along. No excuses allowed IMO.

With that being said, I hope he plays and acts like an MVP from here on out.
Don't. POSITIVE NEWS THREAD. Final warning to all in this thread.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Both of these teams need a QB.

Imagine them getting paid what Kyler is getting right now. SMH
Goff signed a massive 4-year, $134 million contract extension with $57 million in September 2019. He has the third-highest cap number among QBs in 2023.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Goff signed a massive 4-year, $134 million contract extension with $57 million in September 2019. He has the third-highest cap number among QBs in 2023.

Depends on how you look at it.

I look at average annual contract value vs cap hit, since cap hits can be manipulated year to year.

Essentially, Goff is on the last year of his deal (no guaranteed salary in 2024).

Lions will not sign him to a LT deal.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Depends on how you look at it.

I look at average annual contract value vs cap hit, since cap hits can be manipulated year to year.

Essentially, Goff is on the last year of his deal (no guaranteed salary in 2024).

Lions will not sign him to a LT deal.
I think this only true if Goff craps the bed down the stretch.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
God I want to be so on board with a Kyler redemption story. I genuinely think he's a good kid and want to see him do well. Having said that I'm in my 40s and am rebuilding my flexibility after years of office work and aging, and I'm only seeing him get to right above 90 degrees on his legs here in this video. I chalk that up to his knee really needing to learn to stretch again but I'm wondering if it's a concern.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22